Just how good is the Hoosier state golf scene?
Well, Pete Dye would be proud of his home state. In 2014, Indiana courses landed two of the top three courses in Golf Advisor's top 50 in the U.S. in 2014. That's coming from golfers who paid to play the course, not panelists or architecture aficionados.
Maybe Indiana residents are just happy folks to begin with (Royal Hylands, for example, was rated the most friendly golf course in the U.S. in 2014). Or maybe the bang-for-buck is as good as any other state in the country. In any case, there are some strong contenders that fly well under the national radar.
From metropolitan Indianapolis to downstate near Louisville. Here's a look at the state's top 15. You can click on each course's link to read more in-depth reviews of the course.
Top 15 golf courses in Indiana in 2014
1. Coyote Crossing Golf Course, West Lafayette
2. Chariot Run Golf Club, Laconia (Top-rated Indiana course by conditions in 2014.)
3. Royal Hylands Golf Club, Knightstown (Top-rated Indiana course for value and staff friendliness.)
4. Belterra Casino Golf Club, Florence
5. Otter Creek Golf Course, Columbus
6. The Trophy Club, Lebanon
7. Harbor Links Golf Club at Sagamore Resort, Liberty
8. Bear Slide Golf Club, Cicero
9. Golf Club of Indiana, Lebanon
10. Hickory Stick Golf Club (Top-rated pace of play score in Indiana.)
11. The Fort Golf Course, Indianapolis
12. Noble Hawk Golf Links, Kendallville
13. Purgatory Golf Club, Noblesville
14. Covered Bridge Golf Club, Sellersburg
15. Battle Ground Golf Club, Battle Ground
Minimum of 20 reviews needed in 2014 to qualify.