River/Maple at Fowler's Mill Golf Course

Gift this Course
  • 13095 Rockhaven Rd, Chesterland, Ohio 44026, Geauga County
  • www.fowlersmillgc.com

Year built: 1971
Architect(s): Pete Dye (1971), Roy Dye (1971)
Type: Public
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Blue Grass

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Proper golf attire must be worn at all times.All players are required to wear collared shirts at all times.Slacks, shorts or skirts must be hemmed and in good condition.Tank tops, swimwear, cutoffs, gym shorts are not acceptable.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Silver 71 5623 yards 0.0 0

Average Rating 4.4 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views entertaining clients   Challenges include bunkers water hazards undulating greens   Great for drinks

"A Majestic Gem in NE Ohio"

u000007519666's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2016

What an amazing course! This course will challenge the entire realm of shot making skills and the beauty and scenery will take your breath away. Nestled among lakes, creeks and beautiful woodlands this course weaves and cuts it way through creating a wonderful track. Greens and fairways were in excellent condition. Can't wait to come back!

Commented on 07/14/2016

u000007519666,

we are blown away by your awesome review of us! we are honored by your feedback of the course and look forward to your next day of golfing with us!

sincerely,

Fowler's Mill GC Management

"Fun and Challenging"

33dean's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2017

A Pete Dye gem to play. It had rained for 2 days prior but the course and especially the greens held up nicely.

"Can't wait to play it again"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/25/2017

This course is a treasure in northeast Ohio. For $36 through GolfNow we played a weekday morning. It was raining cats and dogs so we were the only ones on the course. Meaning pace of play was as fast as we could play. I can't speak for a normal day. This course held up tremendously!! It was draining just as fast as the weather could drop it. This is a hard course. High risk high reward course in a beautiful setting just outside of cleveland. What a true gem. Staff was friendly and accommodating and was a great experience despite the rain. Bring your "a" game to this Pete Dye masterpiece. I will be back to best my 86 later this summer, no doubt! #humbled

"Always a Pleasure"

tebodanes's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/23/2017

Fowler's is always a pleasure to play (assuming you're not behind an outing). The course was in very good condition with workers out on a few holes, assuring maintenance is being maintained. Played on a HOT Deal for a very low price for the quality of this course.

If you're new to Cleveland or from out of town, this course should be in your rotation.

"Always a pleasure to play Fowler's Mill"

docdtm's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2017

Fowler's is a great course, and for the rates right now, you can't find a better value. There is some course maintenance that needs done though. There are some bare patches in the fairways, the cart paths could use some work, and the flower boxes on 4 on the River Course are falling apart.

"Local Public Pete Dye, one of the Best in the area"

OhioKip's avatar
Ohio Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2017
First time playing Used cart Cold weather

Fowler's Mill is a gorgeous golf course, with a beautiful scenic setting. It is a challenging golf course that requires a lot of though on how and where to play your shots. From doglegs with one approaches like the 6th, to risk reward par fives like the 8th. This Pete Dye course will challenge you with every shot.

Green are always in great shape and roll true. A lot of the greens are elevated and are firm, I always have more shots roll off the edges compared to other courses in the area. Not a lot of water, except the par 4 fourth cape style hole.

The staff said the course had some flooding in earlier weeks with heavy rains, but I experienced no wet, swampy areas while playing. They also said the green had recently been aerated, but were top-dressed and healing perfect, I would only notice when my balled settled in a deeper punch mark. Four this reason, I only gave four stars for conditioning.

I played on a Friday afternoon, it was 60 degrees after several days in the mid 80s and the course was empty. I was able to play a single and I hardly saw another golfer on the course.

Overall the is a great course, fun to play, beautiful and a good deal. Well, worth the extra drive for the same price as many of the other top local courses.

BUY THE YARDAGE BOOK IN THE PRO SHOP FOR A DOLLAR. I have played Fowler's Mill several times and still find myself in the wrong spot after hitting shots exactly how I wanted off the tee, because over/under clubbed and choose a wrong line and missed the hidden fairway.

"Good Course, Better Maintenance Needed"

u920166275's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2017

The first cut was not well manicured and more like deep rough. The greens had all been aerated and putting was a tad entertaining.

"Bumpy greens"

KOOPER7777's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/12/2017

I've played Fowlers Mill many times and this was by far the worst the greens have ever been. It was obvious that they had been aerated about a week ago so I will give them another try later this year. They should tell you when you make a tee time about the aeration. I booked on Golfnow but the guys I played with reserved a tee time by phone and they were very upset nobody told them. Also, the carts have scorecards on them already but when I finished the first hole I found out it was for the wrong 9.

"Pete Dye Masterpiece"

kushboy's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2017

Loved my experience. Really good greens/fairways/bunkers. The rough was ok, the cart path is a huge pain but who cares.

dpalofmine49's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

Fowlers Mill is one of my favorite courses to play. We drive over an hour to play it a couple of times a year. The course is well worth the drive. I will continue to make the trip for as long as I can.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/15/2017

Response from Fowlers Mill Golf Course on 04/25/2017:

Thank you! Come see us again soon.

"Great Course One to Play"

bnzman616's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/18/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

For mid November the course was still in great shape. Didn't have to fight leaves, as long as you kept the ball in the fairway. The rate of play was very good. Overall a great day on a great golf course.

Response from Fowlers Mill Golf Course on 11/21/2016:

Excellent! Glad to hear you enjoyed your round of golf with us. We hope to see you out here again soon before it gets too cold!

"Check if cart path only!!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/23/2016

Played Sunday after a couple of days of rain. Didn't call ahead to find out if cart path only. Normal 4 1/2 round turns into 6 1/2. Nothing could be done about the time. It just takes that long when busy. Course was in great shape even with the rain!! Great people and course!! Just call ahead if you have time restraints !!!

Response from Fowlers Mill Golf Course on 10/31/2016:

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We sincerely apologize for the slow pace of play. We hope that you don't have to experience cart path only conditions your next round with us. Like us on Facebook for the latest course news and specials! https://www.facebook.com/FowlersMillGC/

"Beat Watching The Browns"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/09/2016

Played the lake/river courses in record time(3hrs on Sunday). Fairways were in great shape and the greens were fast. Tee boxes were also in great condition. Truly one of the best values for the money in NE Ohio.

Response from FowlersMillMGT on 10/18/2016:

Hi u429422615,

Thank you for the great 5 star review! Nothing better than finishing a round in 3 hours. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your experience so much. We look forward to your next visit with us!

"Great Course, interesting layout."

ddawg17's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

This is one of those courses where you would have to play or drive up to the fairway to see where you need to hit on a couple holes. I got paired with a couples guys that gave me the lines otherwise I think I would have got myself in trouble a couple times. Really good par 4's, tough par 3's and fun par 5's. Course conditions were fantastic and once the greens would be healed from aeration I'm sure that the would be awesome to put on. Unfortunately this course gets a fair amount of play pace was 4:30 hours for a threesome on a Friday early afternoon. The only major negative is price of food at the turn $5 for a gatorade and a candy bar, that's $2 dollars more than most every course around home. As far as the course it is a must play it is challenging, but it doesn't beat you over the head like some of Dyes other layouts.

Commented on 09/27/2016

HI "ddawg17" Thank you so much for the excellent review. We are so glad you enjoyed your round today with us. Please come back and visit us again before the season is over.

"great course"

christella's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/18/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

Course was great but unfortunately they had a large outing and we were playing behind, slow pace, 5.45 hours for 18 too long.

Commented on 09/21/2016

Hi christella,

Thank you for your review. We apologize for the slow pace of play but we are happy to know you enjoyed the course. We hope to have you back again soon!

"Great Course"

tothtime12's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2016

Challenging, diverse round of 18. Very well maintained course with a beautiful layout. Played on a Tuesday afternoon and got through the round in 4 hours. Will definitely be back.

Hi Tothtime12,

Thank you for choosing Fowler's Mill! It's great to hear that you enjoyed your round and we look forward to having you back!

"Great Track"

jerryhromada's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2016

Great track that will make you use every club in your bag. Some holes you can bomb away off the tee and others are all about ball placement and leaving yourself an approach shot on a dogleg. Several risk/reward shots throughout the course. The greens rolled extremely well and were very fair. We played the black tees making for some longer holes so it may be better for some to move up to the silver tees. Then there's the iconic 4th hole and attempting to carry the entire water to the green. It's a fun course to play with many challenges. No wonder Golf Magazine rated it one of the top 10 courses in Ohio

Hi Jerryhromada,

Thank you for your wonderful review! It's so great to hear that you enjoyed your round and the conditions of the course. We hope to see you again soon!

"Great course conditions, staff very friendly but pace of play horrible"

LORIDAWN56's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/29/2016

The course was in great shape. Greens, fairways and tee boxes were very well maintained. Starter was very nice. Played as a single and there was a single and two-some behind me. Starter should have considered pairing us up as the pace was very slow. On every hole had to wait for the foursome to tee off and then hit 2nd shot before teeing off. 4.5 hours was way to long! On the bright side I found a lot of balls as I had plenty of time to shag balls on every hole.

Hi Loridawn56,

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the great conditions of the course. We hope to see you again soon!

"Must play in NE Ohio"

Scott118's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Pete Dye gem. Great layout and perfect course conditions. It sets a high standard for NE OH courses. Easily one of the top courses in the area.

Commented on 08/29/2016

Hi Scott118,

Thank you for your wonderful review and for considering Fowler's Mill a must play! We love having you here and hope to have you back again soon!

"Beautiful course"

Tkosleyiii's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/18/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The course was beautiful. But I will never go back on a Thursday after work. There was a league in front of us. They were terrible. It took us almost 3 hours to play 9 holes. Would come back and play but not on a Thursday.

Commented on 08/29/2016

Hi Tkosleyiii,

Thank you for choosing Fowler's Mill! We are happy that you enjoyed our beautiful course. We hope to have you back again soon.