River/Maple at Fowler's Mill Golf Course

Gift this Course
  • 13095 Rockhaven Rd, Chesterland, Ohio 44026, Geauga County
  • www.fowlersmillgc.com

Year built: 1971
Architect(s): Pete Dye (1971), Roy Dye (1971)
Type: Public
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Blue Grass

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Proper golf attire must be worn at all times.All players are required to wear collared shirts at all times.Slacks, shorts or skirts must be hemmed and in good condition.Tank tops, swimwear, cutoffs, gym shorts are not acceptable.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Silver 71 5623 yards 0.0 0

Average Rating 4.4 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views entertaining clients   Challenges include bunkers water hazards undulating greens   Great for drinks

"Great Course One to Play"

bnzman616's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/18/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

For mid November the course was still in great shape. Didn't have to fight leaves, as long as you kept the ball in the fairway. The rate of play was very good. Overall a great day on a great golf course.

Response from Fowlers Mill Golf Course on 11/21/2016:

Excellent! Glad to hear you enjoyed your round of golf with us. We hope to see you out here again soon before it gets too cold!

"Check if cart path only!!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/23/2016

Played Sunday after a couple of days of rain. Didn't call ahead to find out if cart path only. Normal 4 1/2 round turns into 6 1/2. Nothing could be done about the time. It just takes that long when busy. Course was in great shape even with the rain!! Great people and course!! Just call ahead if you have time restraints !!!

Response from Fowlers Mill Golf Course on 10/31/2016:

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We sincerely apologize for the slow pace of play. We hope that you don't have to experience cart path only conditions your next round with us. Like us on Facebook for the latest course news and specials! https://www.facebook.com/FowlersMillGC/

"Beat Watching The Browns"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/09/2016

Played the lake/river courses in record time(3hrs on Sunday). Fairways were in great shape and the greens were fast. Tee boxes were also in great condition. Truly one of the best values for the money in NE Ohio.

Response from FowlersMillMGT on 10/18/2016:

Hi u429422615,

Thank you for the great 5 star review! Nothing better than finishing a round in 3 hours. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your experience so much. We look forward to your next visit with us!

"Great Course, interesting layout."

ddawg17's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

This is one of those courses where you would have to play or drive up to the fairway to see where you need to hit on a couple holes. I got paired with a couples guys that gave me the lines otherwise I think I would have got myself in trouble a couple times. Really good par 4's, tough par 3's and fun par 5's. Course conditions were fantastic and once the greens would be healed from aeration I'm sure that the would be awesome to put on. Unfortunately this course gets a fair amount of play pace was 4:30 hours for a threesome on a Friday early afternoon. The only major negative is price of food at the turn $5 for a gatorade and a candy bar, that's $2 dollars more than most every course around home. As far as the course it is a must play it is challenging, but it doesn't beat you over the head like some of Dyes other layouts.

Commented on 09/27/2016

HI "ddawg17" Thank you so much for the excellent review. We are so glad you enjoyed your round today with us. Please come back and visit us again before the season is over.

"great course"

christella's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/18/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

Course was great but unfortunately they had a large outing and we were playing behind, slow pace, 5.45 hours for 18 too long.

Commented on 09/21/2016

Hi christella,

Thank you for your review. We apologize for the slow pace of play but we are happy to know you enjoyed the course. We hope to have you back again soon!

"Great Course"

tothtime12's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2016

Challenging, diverse round of 18. Very well maintained course with a beautiful layout. Played on a Tuesday afternoon and got through the round in 4 hours. Will definitely be back.

Hi Tothtime12,

Thank you for choosing Fowler's Mill! It's great to hear that you enjoyed your round and we look forward to having you back!

"Great Track"

jerryhromada's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2016

Great track that will make you use every club in your bag. Some holes you can bomb away off the tee and others are all about ball placement and leaving yourself an approach shot on a dogleg. Several risk/reward shots throughout the course. The greens rolled extremely well and were very fair. We played the black tees making for some longer holes so it may be better for some to move up to the silver tees. Then there's the iconic 4th hole and attempting to carry the entire water to the green. It's a fun course to play with many challenges. No wonder Golf Magazine rated it one of the top 10 courses in Ohio

Hi Jerryhromada,

Thank you for your wonderful review! It's so great to hear that you enjoyed your round and the conditions of the course. We hope to see you again soon!

"Great course conditions, staff very friendly but pace of play horrible"

LORIDAWN56's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/29/2016

The course was in great shape. Greens, fairways and tee boxes were very well maintained. Starter was very nice. Played as a single and there was a single and two-some behind me. Starter should have considered pairing us up as the pace was very slow. On every hole had to wait for the foursome to tee off and then hit 2nd shot before teeing off. 4.5 hours was way to long! On the bright side I found a lot of balls as I had plenty of time to shag balls on every hole.

Hi Loridawn56,

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the great conditions of the course. We hope to see you again soon!

"Must play in NE Ohio"

Scott118's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Pete Dye gem. Great layout and perfect course conditions. It sets a high standard for NE OH courses. Easily one of the top courses in the area.

Hi Scott118,

Thank you for your wonderful review and for considering Fowler's Mill a must play! We love having you here and hope to have you back again soon!

"Beautiful course"

Tkosleyiii's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/18/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The course was beautiful. But I will never go back on a Thursday after work. There was a league in front of us. They were terrible. It took us almost 3 hours to play 9 holes. Would come back and play but not on a Thursday.

Hi Tkosleyiii,

Thank you for choosing Fowler's Mill! We are happy that you enjoyed our beautiful course. We hope to have you back again soon.

"Great course"

schmij22's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/17/2016

Had a great time. Course was wet and cart path only but it had rained a ton before.

Hi Schmij22,

We are happy to hear that you had a great time here, at Fowler's Mill. We hope to see you again soon!

"Challenging"

roz65's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/13/2016

Fowlers was in great condition and as challenging as ever, which made fo an enjoyable day.

Hi Roz65,

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the conditions and challenge of the course. We look forward to having you back!

"Mixed feelings"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

I must admit, having a Pete Dye designed course less than an hour from my house is a privilege. It's a great layout, and challenging.That being said, I have mixed feelings because I used to play this course regularly 20 or 30 years ago. After it was purchased by American Golf, rates almost doubled. It's been under corporate administration since then, and frankly I was underwhelmed. The fairways and greens were in good shape. We're in the middle of a 2 month drought, and despite that, the course was generally in good shape. But...

Around some of the greens, if you missed the putting surface, you could find yourself hitting off of more crabgrass than real turf. There were weeds, crabgrass, and nutsedge growing in the bunkers. Use some weed killer and do some weeding. For the price they charge, I expect more. For Pete's sake, it's a Dye course! Shame on you for not keeping it in the shape it deserves.

So, that's why I can only sort of recommend this course.

Commented on 08/29/2016

Thank you for playing at Fowler's Mill! We are happy that you've enjoyed the layout and challenge of the course. We are disappointed to hear that some of the aspects you experienced were not up to par. Please email us at FowlersMillGCMGT@Outlook.com if you would like to further discuss. We look forward to hearing from you.

"Can't wait to go back!"

gfdimos's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2016

We played River/Maple. This course does not belong in NE Ohio but I'm glad that it is. It reminds me of something you would see in Myrtle Beach or on vacation. This is hands down the nicest and one of the most unique courses in the area. From the range to the greens, everything was top notch and in great shape! Of the three, 9 hole sections I think Maple is probably the least extravagant in terms of layout but still challenging and in as good of condition as the other other two tracks there. The staff was extremely professional and polite which is rare to find these days. Definitely worth every penny and I can't wait to go back!

Hi George2210432,

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are thrilled to hear that everything about your experience with us was great. We can't wait to have you back!

"Fowlers Mill"

thomasj216's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2016

great as always. course was in perfect conditions. greens were fast and true

Hi Thomasj216,

Thank you for you review. We are happy to hear that you always have a great experience when playing at Fowler's Mill! We look forward to having you back!

"nice course - would play again"

Mciullo's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2016

course was in great condition. challenging, and pretty. only issue was a slow group ahead of us, but the ranger was trying to keep them moving, so that is all you can really ask of a course. all together a great course that i would play again.

Mciullo,

thank you for the review! we are happy to hear that you enjoyed the course and your day with us. we hope to see you again soon!

all the best,

"Top 5"

jkja322's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/06/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I would say this course should be a top 5 Ohio public course. Excellent condition, beautiful, fast greens. Roughs were rough like they should be. Almost every place on the course is green hardly any brown, bare spots.

jkja322,

we are thrilled that you think so highly of us! we value your opinion and appreciate the review. we look forward to your next round with us!!

best wishes,

Fowler's Mill GC Management

"A Majestic Gem in NE Ohio"

u000007519666's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2016

What an amazing course! This course will challenge the entire realm of shot making skills and the beauty and scenery will take your breath away. Nestled among lakes, creeks and beautiful woodlands this course weaves and cuts it way through creating a wonderful track. Greens and fairways were in excellent condition. Can't wait to come back!

u000007519666,

we are blown away by your awesome review of us! we are honored by your feedback of the course and look forward to your next day of golfing with us!

sincerely,

"Nice Course"

22todd's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/25/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes

Four of us from Columbus played the first tee time (6:30) on a Saturday morning having never played Fowler's Mill before (we played Little Mountain later in the day). No one at the bag drop area to greet us at 6:00am. Girl behind the pro shop counter where we need to check in, just ignores us (we are the only people there) as she is not happy about something and counting pennies out of the register. After we finally get checked in, one of us asks about coffee - we are told there is none but they are working on it. We hit a few balls and practice putts and one of us goes to check on coffee just before we are to tee off - still no coffee. Course is very nice, very good conditions. Greens were not as fast as you would have expected or wanted, maybe they were not mowed. Coffee was available at the turn. Played in 4:15, but of course we teed off first and let a 2-some through on the 3rd hole. After the round we saw a few guys at the bag drop who chatted with us but did not offer to clean our clubs.

Fowler's Mill is ranked as a top 5 Public course in Ohio, which may be true, but, Longaberger is a distant #1. Our foursome would play it again.

22todd,

thank you for playing with us and taking the time to send us your feedback. we are sorry to hear that your experience was anything but the best ever. we hope that you will come back to play with us again soon so that we can provide you with the best golfing experience!

sincerely,

"Great course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2016

Course was in great shape, staff was excellent, weather could have been a little warmer but great day!

u959761467,

thank you for such the great review and for taking the time to send us your feedback of the course! we look forward to your next round with us!

best wishes,