Hinckley Hills Golf Course

Driving range: No

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 3.5 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for wildlife/ scenic views locals 9-hole rounds   Challenges include elevation changes narrow fairways bunkers   Great for drinks

"Wait a month"

KOOPER7777's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2017

I love playing Hinckley Hills. The elevation changes and course layout make it a must-play. That being said, you should probably wait until at least mid-May to see the course in better shape. Right now the rough is so thick I lost 3 balls that just disappeared. The fairways are pretty thick too and the sand traps are very bad. The greens were slow and bumpy after a recent aeration but are usually much better. So give them a few weeks to get in mid-season form and I'll bet you'll be glad you waited. In the meantime, I have played Chenoweth, Paradise Lake, Cossett Creek, Deer Pass, and Astorhurst in the last few weeks and they are all in very good shape.

Response from Hinckley Hills on 04/20/2017:

Thank you for your review, Robin. We appreciate your understanding of the transition period we're in as we head into the season. We also love that you rated our staff, course layout, and pace of play 5-stars! We're looking forward to seeing you on the course again soon, thanks again for your valuable feedback!

"Great Course in N.E. Ohio"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/02/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

One of the best courses I have played this season. Beautiful Fall scenery, with the views that over look the surrounding valleys. Green and plush recovered well from a dry hot summer. Staff was very friendly and informative. A must play in my opinion.

"Great course"

gonegolfing12's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/02/2016

I was really impressed with the course. It was very wet.

"Awesome"

pamela44231's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/15/2016

Really enjoyed the whole experience

"Slow play on a hot day"

Tingrin996633's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2016

extremely slow play on the back nine as the tee boxes backed up. Had to wait on every shot for the group's in front of you to hit and move forward. Many fairways were void of. enough grass to hit off of.

Commented on 09/09/2016

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. We're sorry to hear that your round took longer than normal, as we know how valuable your time is. We hope you'll give us another shot. Please come back and play again soon!

"Course has fun/challenging holes and decent conditions considering lack of rain. Very friendly staff"

LORIDAWN56's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2016

Course conditions were much better than some of the reviews. There was some very fun holes on the back nine. The starter was very friendly. Most greens were in very good shape but a few of the fairways were stressed a bit. Will play again!

Commented on 09/06/2016

Thanks for the awesome review! We appreciate your compliments regarding our course conditions. We've been working very hard to overcome some of the challenges of the dry summer that we've had and are happy to hear that our efforts are paying off. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

"Hilly and fun"

rbhvr440's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/15/2016

It was challenging. Not the biggest fan of two par fives to start out, but we worked our way through it and the rest of the round blew by. There were no issues with pace of play which is right down my alley. I can't speak much to value because I got a golf now hot deal which was awesome. I also can't say too much about condition because we were smack in the middle of a drought. I don't really pay full price to go anywhere anymore, but if I got a deal I would certainly come back here.

Commented on 09/06/2016

Thanks for sharing your experience. We're happy that you had a good time with us and were able to save some money by booking online. We have special online deals on our website as well, http://www.hinckleyhillsgolf.com/. Thanks for playing and please come back again soon!

"Need water."

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/13/2016

Course conditions were bad, dry and cracked greens and management needs to understand that they need to return to the original 18. The 5 holes they added have taken away the best holes on the original golf course. At a minimum they need to add water to the fairways and forget about the holes the added. The golf architect is rolling over in his grave with such stupidity in designing golf holes. The women who work at the course are delightful. Bob, needs to retire. Course needs new blood, Again go back to the original 18 and the rating increases 2 stars.

Response from Hinckley Hills Golf Course on 03/08/2017:

Hello, James. We appreciate the feedback and you taking the time to review our course. We are always working to improve course conditions and make for a better experience for all of our golfers. We regret to hear that you were not happy with the condition of the course at this time. We hope that the next time you play Hinckley Hills, you have a better expereince. We hope to see you again soon.

"Great day of golf"

rbhvr440's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/08/2016

A buddy and myself golfed 18 here for 15 bucks plus fees. I had always seen the course on here and was hesitant because the rating seemed a little low. I am not a fan of two par 5's to start your round, but the course is lots of fun. Most of the courses in the area are dust bowls now, but considering the lack of rain we have had this course was ok. I am hopeful to come back again in the fall and experience the scenery here in another season. The hills and the greens offer a fun but playable challenge. I think this course should be rated higher. Considering there are courses on here that I know are not as nice that are rated much higher.

Commented on 09/06/2016

Thanks for the excellent review! We're thrilled that you found our course challenging but still fun to play. Please do come back in the fall! Our favorite time of year. Looking forward to seeing you soon!

"Garbage"

hoops5579's avatar
Age:  Under 25

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2016

Waste of money and time. Yet again. I don't even know where to begin. This is just outrageously bad. I've never seen these greens in a worse condition that this whole year. The greens are normally fast for such low quality, but now, when it's been sunny and 80 degrees for 7 days in a row, they're still slower than molasses! There's also dried spots on the greens that are all over the place. They aren't just small spots, they are giant spots all over. And these greens can't hold a single chip! You can hit in the front of the green and you can say goodbye to your ball. These greens are not greens if they can't hold a chip. You could hit the ball a mile in the air and the green still won't hold it. But these fairways are horrible. They had a sign saying that "they've had limited watering capabilities due to the heat." I was so confused. Every course I've been to is making sure they're watering every morning! This place is too cheap to even water they're greens. Save your money and time and go somewhere else.

Commented on 09/06/2016

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We're sorry that we failed to meet expectations. Course maintenance is our top priority and we've got all hands on deck to get our conditions back to standards that we would normally expect. We value your feedback and hope that you'll give us another shot in the near future.

"Sick to my stomach"

cloesch81's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2016

I don't even know where to start...... This review is live from hole 2. First of all my friend made an honest mistake and booked 2 guys instead of 3. Yes, a mistake I know but you would think for a hole of a course like this and where very few people break 95 he'd give me a break. Long story short I paid 50 bucks for this dump. You can't determine fairway to rough. The greens roll at about a 7 on the stemp. 50 bucks for one of the worst courses in NE Ohio. If I didn't ride with a friend I would of turned around and played a real course for 50 bucks. Sure I get it I'm a scratch golfer but this place is a major dump period. I would never tell anyone to come here

Commented on 09/06/2016

We're sorry that your round wasn't up to par and that we didn't provide you with better customer service. If you'd like to tell us more about what happened, please email us at carolteetimes@gmail.com. Thanks for playing.

"GREAT GOLF"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Had a wonderful experience at Hinckley Hills. Except for the weather being really hot, it was a great day. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Course was in good condition considering the hot dry weather the mid-west has had the past month. I will definitely be back and would recommend this as one of the better must play courses in the area.

Commented on 09/06/2016

Thanks for the great review! We're glad to hear that you had a good time with us and that you found our staff helpful. Looking forward to seeing you soon!

"HEALTH ALERT!"

sighlentz's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Before I even teed up the 1st ball, I was already sorry I chose this course. After reading the reviews about poor course conditions and poor customer service, I was skeptical of playing here but my son wanted to give it a try. I should have followed my instincts. Management didn't have the decency to post signs of E-Coli outbreak there or notify us when we checked in for our tee-time. The water fountain outside the clubhouse had a note on it to "not use". So.... went to the bathroom to wet a towel, fill a bottle of water and use the facilities. No water in urinal, or toilet, but water at sink, so I used the sink water to wet towel, fill bottle and wash my hands. After leaving the restroom, I overheard a few golfers outside the clubhouse saying that there was an E-Coli outbreak there. I'm so glad I hadn't drank from the bottle of water yet. I am still salty over managements lack of decency to notify, in any way, of this dangerous water condition. I could go on and on about the poor condition about the course, but I'll just state, "Play somewhere else, poor conditions, brutally dry and diseased greens, ridiculous hole layout on several holes. Worst experience in many years at a golf course. I will never go back there, even for free play, not worth the aggravation or health risk. I would also recommend that Golf Now ban this course from your service due to the lack of notification of the health risk in the water.

Commented on 07/25/2016

SIGNS WERE POSTED ON THE DOORS, THE COUNTERS, AND IN THE RESTROOMS OF A TEMPORARY WATER BOIL DUE TO THE POSSIBILITY OF BACTERIA IN A WATER SAMPLE. AS A PREVENTATIVE MEASURE WATER WAS TURNED OFF AT DRINKING FOUNTAINS TO PREVENT ANY POSSIBLE PROBLEMS. THE COURSE WAS PROVIDING FREE BOTTLED WATER TO ITS CUSTOMERS FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE. WATER ISSUE HAS BEEN CORRECTED, ALL WATER HAS BEEN TESTED AND IS BACTERIA FREE AND SAFE

"Joke"

Tsmithjr9's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This course is full of tricked up nonsense. The greens were brown in spots and often 8 irons and PWs would bounce off the back. Very large greens, but pins stuck in corners and right on the front. Chips would land and bounce dead left or right. Some of the blue tees are in terrible locations (#16 especially). The fairways are more clover than grass and very thin. Many holes are forced to aim into woods or hazards to shape ball into fairway, just terrible routing. Not saying I'll never be back, because I can see this being a really fun layout if the condition improve. Good pace of play (now I know why). Not a course to walk. This used to be a premier course on the westside, what happened?

Commented on 07/21/2016

we would like to apologize for the negative experience that you had with us. we are sorry to hear that your time here was anything but amazing and hope that you will change your mind to come back and play. we can assure you that we are working towards improving constantly!

sincerely,

Hinckley Hills GC Mgmt

"Cloverfield 18"

mkan311's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/26/2016

Hinckley Hills is summed up in one word, horrible. This place should be bulldozed down and turned into a housing development. Here's why: the fairways are filled with clover, as of course the rough. Each green is completely different, one hard as a rock, another spongey, one fast, another slow, all sorts of inconsistency.

For the tightness of this course it has to be in good shape, but it is far from in shape.

It's a bad golf course, but for $31 on the weekend it is what it is, I suppose.

I wonder if their mowers were all broken?

Commented on 07/21/2016

first, we would like to thank you for playing with us. we would also like to formally apologize for the negative experience you had and can assure you that this is not our typical practices. we value your feedback and are working towards improving the course conditions. we hope that you can bear with us and come back again to see the improvements that we are making.

sincerely,

Hinckley Hills GC Mgmt

"Pretty Course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Great course with some variety of holes some long some short some open and some tight, Staff was very friendly and helpful. Weather was perfect and course is in great shape.

Commented on 06/21/2016

u000001638117,

WOW, we are humbled by your 5 star review!! Thank you for playing here with us and we hope that you will come back again soon so that we can continue to give you the absolute best golfing experience!!

Sincerely,

Hinckley Hills GC Management

"Very well kept."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2016

Probably the nicest course in Ohio. Right across the street from Ironwood. Absolutely beautiful. Talk about heaven : )

Great staff and that's what keeps this place top of the line. Thanks to the great service, one feels at home and can really appreciate the wild life even if they don't golf the course! If you golf a round you will find it incredibly fun and meditative. This is why I rate this well kept rolling hills golf haven at 5 stars.

Commented on 06/21/2016

u909595093,

Thank you for playing your last round with us! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your golfing experience with us!! We pride ourselves on excellent service and are happy that you gave us a perfect score!! Come back to play again soon!

Best Wishes,

Hinckley Hills GC Management

"Nice course"

TJacoach's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/24/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This to me is a hidden gem. Over the past couple of years some much needed repairs to the course now has it so it is very pleasant to play. The course has its difficult holes where you need to be accurate off the tee, but also has many holes that even the average player may not get into trouble. The staff is very friendly.

Commented on 06/01/2016

Thank you for your review! Please come back and play with us again soon!

"Pretty course"

Brokebynoon's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/23/2016

Have played and bragged about this course to all of my friends. When all my buddies come in from out of town HH is always on the schedule.

However, this past Monday I took 3 of my buddies out and unfortunately theywill not be coming back. We played as a 4-some and had to continually allow single and twosomes play through as we were trying not to hold up the course which was filled with 2-somes and singles. Since I was familiar with the golf course and the extra holes we decided to get out of the way and play the old holes of 12,13,14 and on the 15th tee box we ran into the owner who was rude to say the least. He was confrontational and clueless to what we just did for him. As we are all business owners we tried to keep the golf course moving at our expense. We put HH reputation first by moving out of the way and we even played in 4 hours!! Then we were told to get back to hole 12 and keep playing. So we did. Not only did we play, we had a gallery follow us around and try to intimidate us as we played. Seriously this actually occurred!! We are 50 year old men and have professional businesses and were treated like this.

Lastly, the old original golf course was a hidden gem! I played this course all through High School and fell in love with it.

However, like so many stupid things that humans do, someone thought it would be a great idea to add a new 4th and 5th holes. The 4 th hole is probably in the top 5 garbage holes I have ever played. You have to carry a drive 233 yards over .... a mess or lay up in the mess. The 5th hole is just a really hard par 3. It's not a bad hole, just challenging.

Now on to the back 9. The former holes of 12,13, 14 and 15 are just flipping awesome! 12 from the back is 460 plays uphill and when you stand on the green and look back you can appreciate how good the hole is. 13 is downhill and straight forward, 14 is a tour like hole and 15 is a 120 yard par 3. The new holes on the back 9 can be described as garbage, tricked up and you find yourself asking why am I playing here. As a former PGA golf professional and PGA TOUR CADDY I think the owners screwed this up. They would of been better off putting the $$ into the original golf course which is way more playable and enjoyable. As a matter of fact I would even do a consultation on how to improve the original track. All it needs is a little lipstick to improve this gem. My only requirement would be a 30 minute class on how to treat people that keep you in business and an apology to my friends for the unfortunate incident by the man who said he was the owner . Anything less than that and we will not be back!

Commented on 06/01/2016

Thank you for your review. We apologize for the unnecessary rude treatment and would like you to know that this is not tolerated at our course. Please email us at carolteetimes@gmail.com to further discuss this situation. Again, we are so sorry for your negative experience.

"Not bad for the price."

joeynovak3071's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2016

Played this course for the first time. If you are not a long hitter like I am you may not enjoy parts of this course. Has some long part 4s and 5s only made longer by the hills. Back 9 is better than the front in my opinion. It has some cool/tricky holes. Staff wasn't rude but they weren't very friendly either. I will give the course another try. Not bad for the price.

Commented on 05/06/2016

Thanks for your review on GolfAdvisor! We appreciate the feedback. Please come join us again soon!