Silver Lake Golf Course

Black (W) 72 6238 yards 76.0 134
Blue (W) 72 5709 yards 74.0 125
Silver 70 5375 yards 64.9 108
Silver (W) 72 5375 yards 72.3 122

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for locals advanced golfers walkers   Challenges include narrow fairways elevation changes undulating greens   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Pace of play.."

mlee77nyc's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/13/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Overall, i thought the greens were in good condition. I am a beginner but i thought we could have used rangers more to assist other beginners to pick up or drop their ball and move on to improve pace of play.

Otherwise, layout is what i remembered, and I thought the condition was better than last year, probably due to more rain.

Response from Silver Lake Management on 08/16/2017:

We're happy to hear you decided to visit us again! Thank you for the 5-star review.

"Serious Tee Time management and pace of play issues"

mpzilinski's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/13/2017

We arrived for our Tee time scheduled for 9:15 am and as we checked in we were told that there was a 30 minute backup to tee off. They were not apologetic in the least, it seemed as if this was normal. We actually did not tee off until 10:15 a full hour after our scheduled time. A foursome who started on the back had to squeeze in to the backup as well.

With this backup, we waited 5-10 minutes every hole on the front 9. Knowing the above foursome would be leaving, we hoped the back 9 would start moving. However, the threesome in front of us ended up almost a hole and a half behind the group in front of them and there was no ranger to tell them to pick up the pace. With the course so backed up you would think that they would be concerned with keeping it moving.

Between the hour wait and the 5 hour round we were at the course for 6 hours which is completely unacceptable. I will not be returning.

Response from Silver Lake Management on 08/16/2017:

Thank you for golfing with us! Your feedback on the pace of play is greatly appreciated by our staff. We can assure you we are apologetic, as this is not the standard set at Silver Lake.

"great place"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

It was hot but everything else yesterday at Silver Lake on Staten Island was pleasurable.

Response from Silver Lake Management on 08/10/2017:

Hot days can be tough on the course, but we're happy to hear you enjoyed your day with us. Thank you for the review!

"Narrow course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/21/2017

Lotes of trees, very narrow farways otherwise not a bad course price is a little high for twilight times.

Response from Silver Lake Management on 08/09/2017:

Thank you for the 4-star review and recommendation! The narrow fairways can be tricky sometimes, but it sounds like you were definitely up for the challenge. See you soon!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/18/2017

Response from Silver Lake Management on 08/09/2017:

Your 4-star review is greatly appreciated by the staff. See you soon!

"Easy golf getaway from Manhattan"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/08/2017

The course shuttle van meets you at the Staten island Ferry terminal, for the short 10 minute ride to the course. Friendly staff, and great course conditions are highlights of this easy weekend day trip.

Response from Silver Lake Management on 07/19/2017:

We're happy to hear you had an easy weekend day trip to golf with us! Please come back and see us again soon!

Yeshaya3275808's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/05/2017

Response from Silver Lake Management on 08/09/2017:

Thank you for the 4-star review and recommendation!

"Great Hidden Treasure in Five Boroughs"

Johnnytotes's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/28/2017

Played the course for the first time yesterday with two friends who play it regularly.

I live in the city and the course is easy to get to via ferry and the great shuttle service provided by course. The course, especially the front nine, provides a strong challenge to due the hills, making each shot and club selection something to think

about. Greens and tee boxes were in god shape, especially for a public course. Carts more more than adequate. (note) cart paths need some work).

The staff was friendly and accommodating, loved the shuttle pickup feature. We played a leisurely round in 4:15 minutes which is awesome. Can't wait to come back and play this course now that I have played it once.

Response from Silver Lake Management on 07/05/2017:

Practice makes perfect! We look forward to seeing you again. Our accommodations are setup to provide a great day of golf from the shuttle to the course. Thank you for the 5 star review!

loudeb234's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/26/2017

We did receive a hot deal thru Golfnow. We arrived 30 minutes early. When we arrived no one was on the tee for at least 20/25 minutes. The clerk kept telling us he was receiving flak from management about letting people out early We mentioned to him that per Golnow website there was anyone booked in front of us for more than 15 minutes, let bus out. He said no and then an instructional group for kids arrived. Long story short we wound up starting on Hole #4 and did not play the entire 18. Yes the price was good but the service wasn't. As a group I doubt we will be going to Silver Lake in the near future.

Response from Silver Lake Management on 08/09/2017:

Thank you for golfing with us! It is our policy to make sure golfers get out on time. Letting a group out early is only permitted in specific situations. We're sorry to hear you were not able to recommend the course at this time.

"Pace of play"

Matt5979112's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/25/2017

Pace of play was horrendous! People about 2 groups ahead of us were basically giving each other lessons on the course. We told the ranger and he did nothing. We left before our round was finished, won't be back.

Response from Silver Lake Management on 08/09/2017:

Thank you for golfing with us and recommending the course! Our staff works hard to accommodate all golfers on the course, but we apologize the group ahead did not let you play through.

"Course in good shape"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2017

I have not played here in two years, not close to home but overall great day. Had a noon time tee off, things when smoothly played just over 4 hours (3 some). Course in good shape (fairway & greens). the rough was thick which added to the differculty, got to hit it straight as fairway are narrow an side by side. Will be back again. Must ride the course too hilly for walking.

Response from Silver Lake Management on 06/14/2017:

Thank you for the 5 star review! We're happy to hear you decided to play with us after two years. The course is definitely in good shape for the summer! You're right about the fairways; hit 'em straight and down the middle to avoid trouble!

"Weekend at Silver Lake"

Charleyo's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2017

Course is in great shape. No ranger to keep up the pace of play. Group in front of me had 2 holes open on the last 8 holes

Response from Silver Lake Management on 06/13/2017:

Thank you for the 4 star review and recommendation of the course! Your feedback on pace of play is greatly appreciated and will help us improve moving forward.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2017

Response from Silver Lake Management on 06/11/2017:

Thank you for the review and recommendation! Your feedback on the practice green is greatly appreciated.

"Tight narrow track, accuracy a must."

Luckyshank's avatar
New York Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2017

Not a long track but will punish you for errant tee shots. Weather was sunny and nice as nice can be. Pace was fabulous due to open tee times after an outing. Despite recent heavy rainfall, course conditions were great as usual for this place. Staff was super friendly with no crazy management issues today.

Response from Silver Lake Golf Course on 06/05/2017:

Hi Michael, we're happy you enjoyed a quick pace of play and our great course conditions. Thank you for playing Silver Lake Golf Course!

"Best public course in Staten Island"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2017

I have been playing this course consistently for three years. The course is in good condition for the amount of play it gets. The best feature about this course is the fact that every shot outside of the tee-box and greens are on uneven ground. This alone makes the course more challenging than many of the other courses around Manhattan. I recommend trying to find a hot deal and take the trip, you will not regret it.

Response from Silver Lake Golf Course on 05/31/2017:

Hello David, we're happy you enjoyed our good course conditions and challenging layout. Thank you for playing Silver Lake Golf Course, we look forward to seeing you again soon!

"good time"

sigolferguy's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2017

i played on Saturday May 27 . Teed off at 1:55 pm. i was a single and got put with a three some of new golfers. Although they were new to the game i had a good time. We played in just under 5 hours. It would have been faster but the pin placements were in strategically difficult locations. I personally didn't mind it , but realized it was a problem for the rest of my group being beginners. I think if a golf course is looking to speed play on busy weekends they should make easier pin placements. I saw the superintendent while on the turn and tried to mention this but he mumbled something unintelligible and drove off. this is one of the best public courses around.

Response from Silver Lake Golf Course on 05/31/2017:

Hello John, we're happy you enjoyed a quick pace of play and our course layout. Thank you for rating us one of the best public courses around and thank you for playing Silver Lake Golf Course!

"Slow"

jsforza's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2017

6 hour round. Had a 12:37 tee time didn't get out till after 1. Tournament playing ahead of us but the group 2 out in front of us had no clue how to play the game or how to play ready or had any business playing a tournament. We were 3 groups on the tee numerous times they would spend 20 min to find lost balls. The completely destroyed the round for me. 6 hrs is crazy to play. I should have left and asked for my money back. The course is in great shape on the plus side but no rangers moving pace of play and another group 2 behind us had a radio playing the whole time. Overall course is in nice shape the lack of ranger to pace players and control idiots playing the radio on a golf course really made for a bad day. Hope they read this. It should be policy to tell you when your playing behind a large group.

Response from Silver Lake Management on 06/09/2017:

Hi jsforza,

Thank you for providing feedback on your experience with us. We can assure you this is not up to our standard pace of play. Our staff works hard to accommodate all golfers, but this situation should have been addressed to ensure your day of golf was not interrupted. We apologize and are happy to hear you enjoy the course. Hopefully, this will bring you back so we can improve your next round of golf.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/24/2017

Response from Silver Lake Management on 06/09/2017:

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Please feel free to reach out to pro shop staff to discuss your experience in detail. Thank you for golfing with us!

"One of them perfect rounds on a perfect day"

Luckyshank's avatar
New York Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2017

Review is solely based on this days playing experience. Late afternoon round on a course I had pretty much to myself on a Saturday. Weather was cool with slight overcast which makes for perfect golf weather. Starter and rest of staff personnel was super friendly and course conditions were terrific. Greens were a little slow for Silver Lake standards. Usually some of the fastest and best greens of all NYC courses. Grabbing a bite and a few beers at the Veranda on site is always a plus at the Lake. With location, price, and friendly staff, it always was a place I played frequently.

Response from Silver Lake Management on 06/09/2017:

We really enjoyed your 5 star review! You highlighted everything that makes this a great place for golf. It's great to hear about excellent course conditions, friendly staff and great food after the round. See you soon!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2017

Response from Silver Lake Management on 06/09/2017:

Thank you for the 4 star review!