Presidential at Hickory Valley Golf Club

Year built: 1996
Architect(s): Ron Prichard
Type: Public

Indoor practice facilities: Yes

Dress code: Proper golf attire required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Discover Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 4.1 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for locals advanced golfers playing multiple courses   Challenges include water hazards narrow fairways bunkers   Great for drinks watching the game patio dining

"Current Conditions Play IT Forward"

ARMGolf's avatar
New Jersey Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2017

I've reviewed this course before and I like it a lot. This is a review of current course conditions for April 9 2017. I played with my son and a friend on Masters Sunday. Unfortunately there was an hour frost delay which obviously the staff can't do anything about however it was a bit of a cluster at the first tee with an every group for themselves environment. Starter said he was running about three groups behind yet there were seven groups in line at the tee box. We had to figure out where we fit in. No involvement from the staff. Oh well met some nice guys figuring it out. Staff is usually very helpful so I'll chalk this up to one starter trying to deal with about 60 golfers trying to get out across the two course. OK done ranting

The course itself is in very good shape for April but needs some TLC. Turf is healthy across the board, tees fairways, rough and greens. They are in the process of bringing sand in for the bunkers but haven't finished applying the sand or groomed any bunkers. There was substantial rain during the week so it was cart paths only. The rain caused overflowing of the ponds and streams and there was a significant amount of debris in spots from the overflow especially throughout the 12th fairway. When we drove in it looked like the 18th green had damage across the front but this turned out to be debris as well. I inquired about what happened to the green when paying and was told what it was. The guy behind the counter was a bit stunned that it wasn't cleaned up. The greens appeared to not have been cut in at least a few days and I would estimate their speed at around 7 on the Stimp. There was only one set of tees out and they were all as far up as you could go. I'd estimate it played 5,200 yards at most. Every pin was set on the back of every green. A little frustrating and no mention on golf now or their website that I could find. It's April and the season has begun in eastern PA so I expected more. Maybe the maintenance crew hasn't all come back from the winter? The back tees were all in equal or better shape than the forward tees we played. I did hit most clubs in the bag because I was forced to tee off with various irons on tees.

I'm confidant Hickory Valley will get it together soon as they usually do an excellent job in preparing and caring for this throwback, tree lined, traditional northeast course. I'll give it a couple of weeks and call before booking another time just to make sure they are "officially open for the season". But I'll definitely be back

Response from Hickory Valley Golf Club on 04/13/2017:

Thanks for taking the time to write a review for our course. We appreciate the feedback about your experience and our course conditions. Our staff is constantly working to improve our course conditions as we approach the spring season. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Darryl5164499's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/30/2017

Response from Hickory Valley Golf Club on 04/06/2017:

Thanks for playing! We're happy to hear you had a great experience at Hickory Valley. We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you again soon!

"Good value"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/17/2016

Friendly staff, good conditions best value

Response from Hickory Valley on 11/22/2016:

Thanks for the love! We hope to see you back soon!

"Hickory Valley never disappoints"

ericgrafton's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/11/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

This is the first time I've played the Presidential ,and enjoyed it thoroughly. I've played the Ambassador many times, and it's always enjoyable. It's hard to believe the courses are across the street from each other, as it has the feeling of being in a different area all together. I drive over an hour, and fight Blue Route traffic to play here, and it's worth it. The pace of play Friday was slow, but the weather and scenery allowed for an enjoyably slow round. The ranger came out to make sure all was well..and that's all one could ask. As always, the staff at Hickory Valley is terrific. Only wish i lived closer to justify becoming a member.

Response from Hickory Valley on 11/15/2016:

Wow, awesome pictures! Thanks so much for sharing! We're so happy that you had a memorable experience at our course and we look forward to your return! Thanks again!!

"Nice features,challenging yet enjoyable and playable."

gracebooton's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/08/2016

Perfect yardage , challenging yet playable for my husband and I . Nice layout and the pace of play was good, no downtime. We can't wait to play here again.

Response from Hickory Valley on 11/22/2016:

Thanks so much! We're thrilled you had an excellent time. Please come back and see us again soon!

"Neat course"

Tim9836375's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/04/2016

This is not a special course. It is a good public course. I joined up with three other golfers and we had a good time. There are many doglegs on the Ambassador course. Greens were well taken care of. Fairways were in very good shape. Not an overly difficult course but it is tight on some holes. Water comes into play on several holes. For $25 this was well worth it.

Response from Hickory Valley on 11/07/2016:

Thanks for your review. We're happy that you enjoyed our course conditions and found good value in playing with us. Please come back and play again soon!

"Tough pin placements"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/25/2016

The course was great as always, but there were some really impossible pin placements

Response from Hickory Valley on 11/02/2016:

Thanks for your review. We're happy to hear you had a great time and thanks for your feedback regarding our pin placements. We hope to see you back soon!

"Leave the driver in the bag"

Billy1905130's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/18/2016

Great lil track. Not crazy long, but the dog legs and tighter fairways make it relatively tough if your game is off a little bit. Lots of doglegs and tight-ish fairways and it was very easy to run the ball through the fairway on several of the holes.… I was too lazy and didn't use my rangefinder enough on tee shots. I need to come back and focus on my tee shot placement and I think I will score MUCH better!!

Response from Hickory Valley on 10/25/2016:

We're happy that you had such a great round! Please come back and play again soon!

"Super SLOW!"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2016

The young guy who answered the phone tried to say it was the frost delay. But this is the second time this year we played rounds over 5 1/2 hours. The Ranger must have been off both times I played. Nice layout but not worth the drive from DELCO. This must be the new trend in golf course management, don't offend slow golfers. Just tell the other patrons "we're trying to move them along"and then ignore the situation. Won't fool us again. Plenty of other courses nearby. The sad part is they really don't care.

Response from Hickory Valley on 10/25/2016:

We're very sorry to hear that you had such an unpleasant experience due to delayed play. We try our best to maintain a quick pace of play and we will share your experience with our rangers. Thanks for your feedback and we hope that you will give us another shot.

"Sold golf great value"

BarrySelinsky's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/12/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes

Nice track, always in very good condition. The course is not particularly long, but there are many (!) trees that will disrupt wayward shots. The front nine is harder than the back. Best holes are #2 (narrow driving area, creek bisects the fairway, green guarded by large trees, and #6 (straight par 4, another creek bisects the fairway, small slopey green protected by stream and grass bunker. Trees on 10 makes the approach shot difficult - a chain saw is sorely needed here. A fun track at a very affordable price.

Response from Hickory Valley on 10/25/2016:

Thanks for your review! We're happy that you found great value in playing with us and that you enjoyed our course. Please come back and play again soon!

"Current Conditions Excellent"

ARMGolf's avatar
New Jersey Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/09/2016

I've played and reviewed HV many times before. This review is primarily an update on the current conditions. Given the brutally hot July August and even part of September, HV was in excellent shape. The fairways greens and tee boxes are all in great shape. The rough is very good, just a couple of spots here and there that are thin but nothing like other courses in the area. The bunkers tend to be a bit thin in spots. Just adding sand every year doesn't cut it if the bunker has been contaminated. They will need to bite the bullet and re do all the bunkers if they want to resolve the problem but this is very costly and probably not in the budget of a public course that charges such low greens fees. I played with my son on a Sunday and we teed off at 1:45. We played in just about 3 hours and that included some lengthy searches for balls in the deep rough. There was no one on the course in front of us probably because the iggles were on. Great time to play... This is an oldy but goody. Tree lined fairways, well placed bunkers and everything is right in front of you. It's not tricked up in the least. Go Play!

Response from Hickory Valley on 10/25/2016:

Thanks for your review! "Oldy but goody" We love it!

"Surly staff sabotages superior Course"

dlittle1354's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/18/2016

Booked 9am tee time through Golf now as a single. Showed up at 8:30 to be informed that another single had taken my spot. I mentioned i had a reservation and was told as a single i had no standing at HV on a weekend. My earliest available time was 10:15. I asked for a refund and the starter came in and moved me to the other course with a regular threesome.

Starter was super nice, clerk at desk was a jerk.

Course was great. Play it; just bring a friend.

Commented on 09/20/2016

We're very sorry that you had a poor experience with a member of our staff. We'd like the opportunity to make it up to you. Please email me directly at HVteetimes@outlook.com. Thanks for playing and for your review. We hope to hear from you soon!

"Nice Course"

Zachary4581714's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/16/2016

I liked the course because if your an above average to long driver of the ball you need to take the appropriate line or club selection off the tee to avoid hazards . Just can't grip n rip the driver ; but with that said it will not really punish you on less than perfect shots , it's pretty open. It should be noted that we went during drought conditions here in PA and the course was in great shape.

Commented on 09/20/2016

Thanks for your review! We're glad that you enjoyed that layout and found it challenging from the tee box. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

"Go play it."

knewell's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/15/2016
Previously played Used cart Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

The course was in great shape considering no rain all summer great job by the super. The leaves are falling early due to drought so finding balls is a challenge if your off the fairways, but overall fine public course.

Commented on 09/20/2016

Thanks so much! Please come back and play again soon!

"Excellent Condition"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/10/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

We played both Ambassador and Presidential.

Ambassador is old style so it is tighter Presidential is a little longer but more forgiving. Both courses are in great condition. But no cart lady/girl. Could not buy a cold drink in this hot day but there was plenty of water stations.

Commented on 09/20/2016

Thanks for your review! We're happy to hear that you had a great round and that you got to experience both of our golf courses. We hope to see you again soon!

"Nice day with my Son, Fair round"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2016

Course was in good shape, but pin placements on some of the holes were on slopes and a little unfair for the average golfer.

It was hard to stop the put within 2 feet around the cup. Having a day on the links is still better than working. Good price thanks to GolfNow deal.

Commented on 09/20/2016

Thanks for your review! We hope to see you again soon!

"Great Value"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2016

The course is kept in great shape....The Ambassador course can be tough if you are a "ball-sprayer."

Commented on 09/20/2016

Thanks for your review! We're happy to hear that you had a good time at the course. Please come back and play again soon!

"Tight and tough"

edrack's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2016

Greens are small targets with greens that don't have a flat spot on them. Many of the pins were located on spines or the extreme front or back of the green. 16s pins was fifteen feet off the front edge and three of us putted off the front of the green from fifteen feet above the hole. A bit extreme, on a hole that is beyond narrow and 450 yards up the hill! Greens are smooth and roll well but slopes can be extreme

Commented on 09/20/2016

Thanks for playing! We're happy to read that you had a great round even though our pin positions were a bit challenging. Thanks for your review and we hope to see you again soon!

"Do Not Play"

dtcstylez10's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2016

Called Tuesday for a Sunday tee time. I had a groupon that couldn't be used until 11. Person on the phone said there was an outing on Sunday starting at 11 but I could play the tee time right before at 1048. I get to the course after a 50 minute drive and they tell me I cannot use it. Uh what?

Not only that, the guy who I am assuming is the manager kept saying how the person who booked it will be paying for my tee time. Golf is an expendable income hobby so I said I didn't want them to do that. It's probably some high school kid who was trying to be accommodating.

Let me be clear: it is not that they didn't honor the groupon. I'm totally understanding of why regulations are in place but 1 telling me I could use it and 2 how they approached the issue when I arrived. They were just flat out huge jerks about it. I don't want some kid in high school who was trying to be nice to pay for a $65 tee time. I asked if I could at least get the 11am rate if I'm going to pay full price. I didn't want someone else paying for my tee time. Nope. They're losing an additional golfer for the day off the tee sheet if I left but they didn't seem to care. It was 12 minutes! I wouldn't be complaining if they didn't already book me earlier in the week.

So I left and played Landis Creek down the road. With so many courses in the area, I will never return. Unbelievable. Worst service at a golf course I have ever received. No wonder you can't even email anyone on the staff through their website.

Commented on 09/20/2016

I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience with our staff. What happened was totally unacceptable. We would like to make this up to you. Please email me directly at HVteetimes@outlook.com. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

"Dumb pins"

Timothy5566167's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2016

Pins where on every hump. For weekend play the pins could have been in more score able positions.

Commented on 09/20/2016

Thank you for playing! We're happy that you had a good experience despite what sounds like some pretty challenging pin positions. Please come back and play again soon!