Lion's Paw at Ocean Ridge Plantation

• 351 Ocean Ridge Pkwy, Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina 28469, Brunswick County
  • (919) 287-1703, (800) 233-1801

Practice bunker: Yes

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 3.4 stars from 5

"Good time, great course, but rude staff"

Julius5930774's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

First of all, let me say that of all four of the Big Cat courses, my group and I enjoyed this one the most (there were 12 of us). Awesome time on the links. When I went inside to get a breakfast sandwich before the round, the old lady working the counter was very rude and actually complained that there were too many of us. Again, there were only 12 of us. I decided not to give her any of my money and went on out to the course. Loved the conditions, the layout, and the overall experience. There were some LONG par 3s that made for an interesting day.

If Leopard's Chase had the smooth rolling greens of Lion's Paw, it would have been the winner of the four cats, but the award goes to Lion's Paw!!!

"Unsatisfied Experience due to condition of greens"

Brown5644's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Everyone has been to a golf course where maybe due to weather, or some other issues, the greens are not as good as they should be. And as a golfer, I can understand this happens. Well, on April 1 2016, I played Lions Paw with a group of others at 8:30 tee time. My biggest complaint is that the greens were in such poor shape that I thought they were unplayable (compared to other courses I have played in the area). Crows foot and poana made up the majority of the greens resulting in a very unsatisfying experience. The other issue was that we teed off at 8:30 am and the greens had been sprayed with fertilizer which included a "blue dye". This dye bled into towels, clothes and golf equipment.

Having said all of that, I did approach pro shop staff with my issue, and they were pleasant and understanding, but without a solution. I believe that when you plan a golf getaway (3 days) the courses should advise of temporary problems/issues or make efforts to compensate the golfers who chose this course not knowing of the conditions.

This particular place (Ocean Ridge Plantation) has four courses, and could have offered to switch our group of 14 players to another course out of courtesy, but did not, and did not mention how terrible the greens were.

Overall, Ocean Ridge Plantation is a beautiful residential area, and offers several courses to play but I would definitely recommend researching the course conditions prior to making a tee time.

"Dont waste your valuable time or Money here"

Canives's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/23/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 9 holes Average weather

With so many good options to play in Myrtle Beach don't waste your time here. The Pro shop was less than accommodating and doesn't understand that we all have many other good options for golf in Myrtle beach. The course is in poor condition and the cart paths are in disrepair. The greens have a poa invasion and are tough to putt. We walked off after 9 holes.

"Lions Paw"

BubbaCut17's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2015
First time playing Used cart Good weather

Played in the morning on a week day dew sweeper round. Great fun if you can keep your drive in the fairway, you will have descent looks at the green. Sets up good for drawer of the golf ball. First time on Mini Verde greens, different from what im used to but they were smooth and were in perfect condition. Greens firmed up throughout the day after being rolled. Some long(ish) par 3's , cool setups. Fairways were descent , some bald spots, overall fun course for descent price

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Lions Paw, a bit tame"

pastyman's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

This course is OK, but definitely the up market solute it is portrayed to be. Poor sand traps show under investment. It's not really that challenging. But the major issue was the handling of the check in for guests, it takes forever. It needed 2 people behind the counter, and the one guy on his own was terse and had very few customer service skills. The way in which your booking system works in really not my problem.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Nice Course - Rough Spring"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2015

The was the first of four courses I played in this family of courses. All in all, the course was in very good condition. However, the winter and spring weather created some serious issues for the greens. The staff were taking the necessary steps to recover them, but unfortunately, it was the week I scheduled to play. Nevertheless, the greens were still playable and the rest of the experience was very good. However, two of the staff were playing in a foursome in front of us and while we were a twosome, they never offered to let us play through. As a result, we had to wait on every shot for most of the round. In addition, the attitude of the staff at the Lions Paw/Panthers Run (both courses operate our of the same club house) was certainly less friendly and helpful than those at the other two courses.

"Pawed by the Lion, Again"

eddiehil's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/22/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 9 holes Fair weather

I first played Lion's Paw the fall of its opening year. This was my first return but will not be my last. This is a memory enhancing course; I could recall many of the holes and much to my surprise, there are a great many more homes than I remember.
The course is a fine layout which introduces more water features than homeowner boundaries. You have to go wildly sideways to set foot onto private property; no so with the water hazards and natural areas.
The fairways were over seeded with winter rye grass and by this time I am sure they have a green tint as opposed to the grayish brown of dormant Bermuda. The greens however are ' mini verde', smooth and fast. Bunkers strategically frame most of the greens and are well maintained.
The staff are exceptional at their duties and treat each guest as a member.

I like to say upon my last visit to the "Big Cats" of Ocean Ridge Plantation, the Tiger saw me coming, the Panther ran me down and the Lion pawed me to no end. Luckily I was not Chased by the Leopard nor did the Jaguar Leap upon me. However, I do intend to give those cats a try on my next visit to Ocean Isle, NC and Myrtle Beach, SC.

"Nice track"

mark5174291's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 6/17/2013

Nice track. Great clubhouse. Fair course. Cart paths need redoing.