Tobacco Road Golf Club

• 442 Tobacco Rd, Sanford, North Carolina 27330, Lee County
  • (919) 775-1985
  • www.tobaccoroadgolf.com

Year built: 1998
Architect(s): Mike Strantz (1998)
Type: Public

Singles allowed: No
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Ripper 71 6532 yards 71.7 144
Disc 71 6297 yards 70.3 135
Plow 71 5886 yards 68.6 129
Plow (W) 71 5886 yards 74.7 140
Cultivator 71 4946 yards 69.8 126

Location is worth the drive   Great for a bucket list/top 100 pick a weekend splurge advanced golfers   Challenges include forced carries elevation changes bunkers   Great for drinks

mikehamm76's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2017

"Fun layout"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2017

Awesome day. Showed up at 1 to an empty golf course. Hit some balls and played in 3 hours. Never waited. Incredible layout. If you hit driver well you can score. The yardage book was helpful and we rode up to look at some greens before hitting shots. It paid off and we loved the course. Greens were a touch slow and they had punched a few weeks ago. Staff was excellent. Would go back every chance I could.

"Nice Course-Not Great"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/22/2017

Course has excellent fairways and greens. Waste areas were extremely hard to play out of with all the rain that they recently had. The back 9 gets rather frustrating with the layout, hard to tell where/how far to hit even with the yardage books. You're forced to tee off with a bunch of shorter clubs which wasn't much fun. Cost was $100 but plays more like a $70 course. Would recommend playing it once but don't think I would go back.

"There are greens simiar to the putting green!!"

willmy86's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2017

What a course. We got lucky to play with a guy who works there. He guided us through the course. Most people say this course is very hard and it can be. I think it is fair and forgiving if you have decent distance control coming into the greens. Green speeds were great too. It is a must play Course conditions were perfect

"Second time around was disappointing because of pace"

BostonGolfTraveler's avatar
Boston Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2017

As with the first time we played this course it really lived up to expectations once again when it comes to condition and of course the layout. Sadly our round was pretty much ruined by the pace of play, it took three hours to play the front nine and then sadly we had to walk off the course after 14 holes. We allotted five hours for this round just to be safe so we would have plenty of time to get to the airport in Raleigh for our flight home but as it turned out five hours was not going to be enough. On the 14th hole we were already approaching the five hour mark and there was no relief in sight as there were three groups On the short par four when we got there. I'm sure if you go and you don't get stuck like we did you'll enjoy your round there's this really is one of the most intriguing golf courses in the country but to see ranger sitting in the woods talking to each other while we were all backed up surely did not help the way we felt as we drove off the course. I'd still recommend this course to anyone who hasn't played it and I just hope you don't get stuck like we did

"The most fun I've ever had on a golf course"

AHigherHandicap's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/17/2017

Mike Strantz broke every unwritten rule of course architecture when he did this one. There are blind shots all over the course, huge huge huge bunkers and waste areas. Every single hole is fun and has you wondering what will come next. I will go out of my way to make it back here as often as possible.

"Slowest Round of golf- EVER"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/24/2017

I love this golf course. However, I doubt I will want to play here again. The round was 5 hours and 40 minutes.

It was 2.5 hours on the front, and an incredible 3 hours and 10 minutes on the back. We waited on every single shot, on every single hole. It was horrible. Some of the holes are incredibly interesting. Greens were in good shape for February. We had players in front of us, that refused to pick up. Looking for balls every hole. Rangers were no help. They were pleasant enough, but they are limited on what they can do to pick up the pace. It was not a good experience.

"Tobacco Road"

Fortheloveofgolf71's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/18/2017

Top 3 courses of all time for me. If you don't like hitting out of sand then this is not your GC. No OB or bunkers. All considered waste area. Lots of "obstacles". Will definitely be back. Just a cool course.

"Fantastic!!!"

u00000202322's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2017

I have played Tobacco Road about a dozen times and have always found the course to be in great condition regardless of the time of year. This is a love it or hate it kind of course. I love it. I play this course every time I am in Pinehurst. It never gets old! Target golf. You must pick the right tee box or else you will be in for a really long day. The first time I played The Road, I just was amazed at the first hole. It is the toughest first tee shot I have played. Better warm up at the range.

"Fun! Fair! Fantastic!"

Jinxykat71's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/07/2017

This course was on my bucket list since moving to the Sandhills of NC. Even though we are in the middle of winter the course was in great shape. The layout is visually stunning. The pictures are excellent but seeing in person is Amazing. The landing areas are very generous and leave short irons into large very sloped and mounded greens. Almost Aced #6 with a front pin after the ball rolled back about 15 feet. The lift, clean and place no rake bunkers are a refreshing way to play golf. I could go on and on but I'll leave the rest for your own experience. Make the trip you won't regret it!

"A Must Play"

JeffReedMO's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/16/2017
First time playing Used cart Cold weather

This was easily the funnest round of golf I've ever played. This is a must play if you are in the area, just because it is so out of the ordinary. Everyone say's, you're either going to really love it, or you will really hate it. There is no in between. Well, I am one of the ones that loved it. I thought the greens rolled incredibly well and even though at times the landing area from the tee looks small, it's actually quite generous. You better have some confidence and more than a few shots in the bag, because this course will demand plenty of both. I found myself on many tee boxes just going, "Wow".

"Embrace the quirkiness"

BrandonWebb's avatar
Birmingham Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/16/2016
First time playing Used cart Cold weather

As I've stated in reviews of other Mike Strantz courses, he is a very polarizing course designer. And Tobacco Road is the most controversial of his efforts. I get why people don't like it. If you are not in command of your golf ball, this can make for a long day on this course. But I'm a fan of Strantz courses, particularly this one. I am accustomed to target golf from frequently playing the RTJ Golf Trail at home in Alabama, so this style doesn't bother me. If you like to think your way around the course and not blindly pull driver out of your bag on every par 4 or 5, then you can have fun here, but more importantly excel. Playing some of the holes, it dawned on me that this might be what it would be like to play golf on Mars. Some examples: the tee shot on the first, which requires you to fit it between two mounds that pinch the fairway; the ninth with its blowout green side bunker (see attached photo); the third shot to the par-5 13th (see attached photo), which may be the most imaginative green complex I've ever encountered. The green is built into what resembles a crater. It is a very disarming visual, really because you cannot see the flag from the fairway. There is a thin ridge that divides the green horizontally, so shots finding any part of the green will feed to the center of each respective half. Lost in all of the discussion of whether or not this is circus golf, is the strength of the course's collection of par 3s and par 5s. Be creative. The most direct route to the hole on approach may not be the best route. This course requires some imagination. With the complex green undulations, it also requires some resolve. Just know this going in: at some point in your round this course is going to make you look silly. Just embrace the next shot, the next hole. If you do that you can have fun. And you should. This is not the type of course a golfer from any part of the country will experience very often.

"Hard as heck but fun"

pigdoc's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/17/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Really challenging course that is in great shape. My primary criticism was that there was nothing on the score card or tee markers that showed the layout of the holes, and I literally had to guess on some tees where to hit it. But when I got home, I found that the agent who set up the round had included a course guide to each hole that I missed. This course is NOT for beginners, or those that hate to lose a golf ball. But when you hit a proper shot, and get a birdie, the feeling of accomplishment is so good. I'll go back.

"Awesome place!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2016

This course is well worth your time to play if your in the area, the layout is fantastic the course is in great shape and very well maintained. Staff is very friendly and helpful to help make the experience one to remember also look in the wooden bucket on the 16th tee box awesome surprise and just what you need after the first 15 holes! Will recommend this to all my golf buddies if there coming to the area.

"Butt Kicker"

ncandy1951's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Our first time to play TR. An extremely challenging course built in an old sand quarry with numerous forced carries, waste areas, elevation changes, undulating greens and blind shots. TR has a course layout app and an excellent yardage book but best to play with someone who has played the course several times. You had better hit your shots straight and know how far you hit each club. TR is probably one of the best courses I've ever played. You'll use every club in the bag and be mentally exhausted at the end. Great fun and I can hardly wait to play TR again.

"Challenging course but it sets up well for a fade on most holes."

CorvetteJim's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/01/2016

Blind shots even on hole one are frustrating but once you know where to go you will be rewarded if you hit a solid shot. Staff has always been friendly. Club house is unique. Apples on course are great. Distance is deceiving as the course plays longer than what the card shows. Choose the tee you play from off the slope rating not the yardage. I have played here at least 8 times and have enjoyed every round. If your playing in the Pinehurst Sandhills area this course is worth the visit.

"Excellent golf course with an awesome and very challenging layout"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/12/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Poor weather

Excellent golf course with an awesome and very challenging layout. Just played here on 8/12. The greens and fairways were in great shape. You won't finish this course in 4 hours if you can't keep the ball in the fairway!

16 of us played this course as part of a 3-day, 4-round, 2 night packaged deal with Tobacco Road Travel so the price was extremely good!

Note: there's a reason that most courses in the NC Sandhills are cheaper to play in August: It was very hot and there were lots of little gnats and things flying around!!! My only complaint was that they didn't keep the water coolers on the course filled during the Friday afternoon we played. Also, there wasn't a beverage cart or ranger with water either.

"Not Worth your time"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

I know all the positive reviews how can one be so bad. real simple 130.00 is to much for this course. There are better and I mean better golf courses in the area. If you want a Stranz course. Just driver hour north to Tot Hill it is a way better course and cheaper by about 100.00 and the staff will treat you so much better. STAY AWAY TEACH THEM 130.00 IS TO MUCH FOR A ROUND OF GOLF THERE.

Commented on 08/10/2016

Sorry you paid so much for your round. I don't think I'd be happy about that either.

We've got a group playing Tobacco Road, Legacy, Whispering Woods, and Southern Pines this coming weekend (8/12 - 8/14) for $299 each. For that price, we also get 2 nights in the Talamore Golf Villas.

"Great experience"

jcmmanning's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/05/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Course was in great shape. Very challenging. After reading the reviews, I understood that this was a target-golf course. But you are able to hit away on most of the holes. The greens were huge which helped mentally. Just understand that when you get on the green, your work is just starting.

This is not your everyday golf course. Be prepared to think about each shot. Lots of fun if you don't get carried away about your final score. Just take each hole one at a time and enjoy yourself.

"This place is one of a kind..."

u9199593's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Just played TR for the first time while on a Pinehurst road trip with my father. We both had an absolute blast and agreed that although we have played a wide variety of courses all around the USA, we have never played anything quite like TR. It's hard to describe TR in words, but the one word I find myself coming back to is "unique".

The facilities are decent. Neat little clubhouse with a log-cabin/wild west feel to it. The driving range is adequate for a public course with nice grass to hit off of. The practice putting green is something to behold - it has two tiers, which are separated by a very severely sloping "ramp", which has got to be about 5 or 6 feet high - giving you a preview of what you're in for when you head out to play the course.

The staff at the bag drop and in the clubhouse/golf shop were very friendly and welcoming. We played on a Saturday morning, so there was a starter on the first tee to keep things moving. Before we teed off, the starter questioned my decision to play from the back (Ripper) tees and asked me if I was a "scratch" golfer and if I'd seen the slope/course rating on the scorecard. I told him I'm not a scratch but that I'd be fine and he joked to the rest of the group that I would probably be having a change of heart heading to the second 9 (and would no longer be playing from the tips). Turns out I was 2 over par after the first 9, so no problem.

The course itself is a one-of-a-kind, out-of-the-box, rollercoaster of a good time. It has a little bit of everything - doglegs left, doglegs right, blind shots, elevations changes, huge bunkers/waste areas, undulating greens, tiered greens, false fronts, collection areas, forced carries, water (on only one hole as I recall, but was a big factor on that hole), risk/reward opportunities, etc. Fortunately we were paired with another twosome that was from the area and had played the course multiple times. This was key because they were able to describe each hole to us, which is extremely helpful at a place like TR with all of its twists and turns and blind shots, etc. If you are going there for the first time, I would highly recommend downloading the TR course APP for your smartphone - very helpful.

The course was in great shape and well manicured. The greens were fantastic - nice pace and just the right amount of undulation to keep things interesting.

TR is not a long golf course, I played the back (Ripper) tees at just over 6,500 and my father (who is 73 but still hits it well) played from the middle (Disc) tees at 6,300 and it worked well for us. TR is fairly generous in terms of landing areas off the tee - fairways are pretty easy to find. TR looks more difficult than it actually plays. Lower handicap players will have a ton of fun navigating the vast bunkering, elevation changes and blind shots (you really need to trust your game and know/have confidence in your club distances). It's definitely target golf, with fair, fun and interesting targets. Higher handicap players may have a bit of a struggle with some of these elements and may not have the same level of enjoyment on certain holes (e.g. #9 which is a gem of a hole). It helps to be good out of the sand (regardless of your skill level, you will inevitably find a bunker or two on your way around TR). You also need to be able to hold a green on approach shots.

I love walking when I play, but here, I'd probably recommend riding - especially if you are playing with a group. I've never driven a cart through a green-side bunker, but at TR, no problem, happens all the time (again, unique)!

Overall, TR was a fabulous experience. I wish I lived closer, I'd definitely make it a point to get back there sooner rather than later. The design and construction of the place is one heck of an engineering feat.