Sterling Hills Golf Club

• www.sterlinghillsgolf.com

Year built: 1999
Architect(s): Graves Pascuzzo
Type: Public

Dress code: Appropriate golf attire is required. Blue jeans, cutoff pants, athletic shorts, swim suits and jogging clothes are not considered proper attire
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Tournament 71 6813 yards 72.9 133
Championship 71 6395 yards 70.9 126
Regular 71 5906 yards 69.0 121
Forward (W) 72 5482 yards 72.7 125

Average Rating 3.7 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city in the 'burbs   Great for locals advanced golfers a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens water hazards   Great for drinks brunch watching the game

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2017

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Played the Blues (6395/71.1/127) in 4H, 35M Saturday morning. Played with lamitchw, Sean and Joe in clear, breezy conditions with temps in the 70's. Fun group to play with! The tees had good coverage and only the par 3's needed divot attention. However, numerous tees could use leveling. I had to move 3-4 times from my desired tee spot because I would have been standing in a low spot on the tee ground otherwise. The fairways had good coverage and were decent, semi lush. The rough has many bare hardpan areas, with a combination of thin coverage with some lush to very lush areas mixed in. Only part of the course I rated below average. The greens here are undulating and firm, but they still held full shots well. They were quick today and rolling very nice. We definitely played tournament pins, as numerous holes were right beside or on top of crests/plateaus that would quickly turn a 2-3' putt into a 15' come backer if you were barely long. The traps were in very good condition, nicely maintained with dark brown sand. The customer service was excellent. I prepaid for the 4some ahead of time and after mistakenly charging 2 of our group, they quickly and efficiently refunded the excess charges at the turn. Nice starter and the Marshall was out riding around trying to speed up POP. Drink cart out making numerous rounds. Had fish tacos in the restaurant after the round, very good and decently priced. Good layout overall with many fun/interesting golf holes up/down rolling hills. Par 71 with only 1 par 5 in the first 15 holes. Decent course in decent condition. Recommended.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2017

We had a great time, dues to mothers day the place was almost empty.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/06/2017

Response from Sterling Hills Management on 05/09/2017:

Hi u695591241,

Thank you for the 5 star review!

clayguthrie's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/04/2017

Response from Sterling Hills Management on 05/09/2017:

Hi clayguthrie,

"Love this course..."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2017

I love this course. The conditions were Great. Pace was good. The starter was very accomadating.

My favorite course..

Response from Sterling Hills Management on 05/04/2017:

Hi u029589870,

Always good to hear our staff was accommodating during your round. Thank you for taking time to review the course and tell us about consistent pace of play and excellent course conditions!

"Excellent value and greens"

Charlie8948149's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2017

Greens are spectacular and course is a lot of fun.

Great value for the money.

Response from Sterling Hills Management on 05/04/2017:

Hi Charlie8948149,

Thank you for the 5 star review! The greens are definitely in spectacular condition and we like to hear about great value from our golfers. See you soon!

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2017

I was matched up with Jon & James on the first twilight tee time, extremely enjoyable guys to play with. We played the Blues (6395/71.1/127) in clear, fairly calm conditions with temps in the 80's. The POP was a leisurely 4H, 30M, we rarely waited or held up the group behind.

The course was fairly busy today. SH is an okay layout set over rolling hills with numerous fun and interesting holes.

The tees were lush, mostly level and only the par 3's needed divot attention.

The fairways were fairly lush. The many areas they have previously resodded are filling in and becoming more and more playable with each visit.

The primary rough is about 50/50 lush/thin. The outer edges are mostly hardpan, you can really tell where they concentrate their watering.

The large greens are almost completely recovered from their spring aeration. They are still firm, but they held full shots well and putted fairly smooth and medium fast. I find the greens here usually have hardly a straight putt with lots of subtle break, and a few greens have hills or crests that produce severe breaks.

The traps were decently maintained.

An okay layout set over rolling hills with numerous fun and interesting holes. The customer service was excellent from both the Pro Shop & the Starter. Drink cart gal was very pleasant and around numerous times. No GPS on the carts, average driving range. Recommended as a slightly above average course in slightly above average condition.

Response from Sterling Hills Management on 05/03/2017:

Hi nickesquire,

We really enjoy reading your reviews! Thank you for choosing to play with us again. Good to hear your pace of play improved from last time. It sounds like you continue to enjoy the layout. You're right, we recently re sodded the fairways and like the progress we've seen so far. Our irrigation system is very specific and we work on the most important areas to ensure quality playing conditions. The greens can be tricky, but it sounds like you were up for the challenge on your putts as always! We love to hear about friendly customer service you received. It looks like you were able to officially recommend the course this time around. Excellent! We look forward to your next round.

res1fhlz's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2017

It was good. I will play again soon. I recommend to e

verybody.

Response from Sterling Hills Management on 05/03/2017:

Hi res1fhlz,

Thank you for the 5 star review! We look forward to your next round.

Joseph2150923's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/10/2017

Response from Sterling Hills Management on 04/25/2017:

Hi Joseph2150923,

govea's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/08/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

The course i in great condition, very beautiful layout the staff was very friendly. the only complaint I have that no one was paired up , we had two twosomes and one single in front of us and we were a twosome with two twosomes behind us.

Response from Sterling Hills Management on 04/25/2017:

Hi govea,

Thank you for the 5 star review! We're happy to hear you enjoyed the layout and friendly staff. Our staff works hard to accommodate everybody's request on the golf course when being paired up. We hope pace of play wasn't affected too much.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2017

Response from Sterling Hills Management on 04/25/2017:

Hi u696326314,

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2017
First time playing Used cart Cold weather Verified Purchaser

Response from Sterling Hills Management on 04/25/2017:

Hi u5643565,

Thank you for golfing with us! Please feel free to reach out to the pro shop with details on your 3 star review.

mdena31878's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/04/2017

I always enjoy playing this course; especially playing with good friends! The course looked as if it had been recently punched, however, it hardly affected play. The course is a challenge; especially if you do not hit the ball straight, then, you can get a high score on a hole that should have played easier! The carts are outdated, but, who cares as long as you can get a discounted price!

Response from Sterling Hills Management on 04/25/2017:

Hi mdena31878,

Thank you for the 4 star review and recommendation! A day of golf is always made better with good friends on the course. We're happy to hear recent green maintenance did not affect your round. It sounds like you received a great deal as well. We hope to see you again real soon!

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2017
Used cart Perfect weather

Played the Blues (6395/71.1/127) in clear, breezy conditions with temps in the low 80's. The POP was typical Sunday afternoon slow, around 4H, 45M. I was matched up with an inebriated 2some that were usually hilarious. They certainty kept me entertained as we waited. The tees were fairly lush, mostly level and only the par 3's needed divot attention. The fairways were probably the best I have ever seen them here, I would now classify them as good. Fairly lush, the many fairway areas they had previously resodded @ different times are filling in and becoming more and more playable. The primary rough is about 50/50 lush coverage with thin areas mixed in. The outer edges are mostly hardpan, you can really tell where they concentrate their watering. The large greens are recovering nicely from their recent aeration. However, they putted medium speed and will need another 10 days+ to get back to normal. Still firm, but they held full shots well. I find the greens here usually have more break than I read. Hardly a straight putt anywhere with lots of subtle break, and a few greens have hills or crests that produce severe breaks. The traps are always nicely raked. However I have a hard time grading them highly because they are more dark brown dirt than sand. Par 71 layout where you do not see the 2nd par 5 until the 16th hole, which I see as a detriment. However, okay layout overall set over rolling hills with numerous fun and interesting holes. The customer service was excellent from both the Pro Shop & the Starter. No GPS on the carts, average driving range. No drink cart, but they do have a snack shop available @ the turn. Recommended if you can get a deal for less than rack rate.

Response from Sterling Hills Management on 05/03/2017:

Hi nickesquire,

Thank you for golfing with us! First of all, we're happy to hear your pace of play was consistent, especially on a busy Sunday morning. It sounds like you enjoyed the layout (as well as your playing partners) You're right, we recently re sodded the fairways and are looking forward to a full recovery soon. It's great to hear this was the best you have seen them to date! Our irrigation system is very specific and we work on the most important areas to ensure quality playing conditions. The greens can be tricky, but it sounds like you were up for the challenge on your putts! Another 10 days will definitely give the playing surface time to fully recover. The sand traps are maintained by our staff and will be looked at closely. Your feedback in this area is greatly appreciated. As always, we love to hear about friendly customer service and nice amenities at the turn. We hope you can come back and recommend our course soon.

"Fun, Challenging, Enjoyable"

ARBoyko's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2017

Great course layout, the fairways are nice and wide. Great elevation changes. Greens are well kept and seem to get faster in the evening. Truly a players course!

Response from Sterling Hills Management on 04/25/2017:

Hi ARBoyko,

Thank you for the 5 star review! We love to be a players course for our golfers. It sounds like your day of golf offered great course conditions and a lot of fun. See you soon!

"First Time"

Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2017

So I shoot around 100. People very friendly. Greens had just been plugged and sanded. Nice no traffice noise. Course looks wide open, but played much harder than expected. Plenty long and plenty of trouble to get into if you are not careful. Surrounded by houses but they are set back far enough that you don't have to worry to much if you miss hit a shot or two like me. We finished 18 in just under 4 hours starting at 3 pm. Bring a jacket if you golf in the afternoon as you get the ocean breeze and it can get cool as the sun starts to go down.

Response from Sterling Hills Management on 04/22/2017:

Hi u000006518117,

Thank you for the 4 star review! It sounds like you had a great day of golf with consistent pace of play. The course can play a bit harder than expected at times, but it sounds like you were up for the challenge!

Jagdish9's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/30/2017

Response from Sterling Hills Management on 04/12/2017:

Hi Jagdish9,

Thank you for the 4 star review!

"This course was in disarray."

Tim7062482's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2017

We were only allowed to play front 9. Our cart broke down twice. The greens were covered in sand. All in all it was a miserable experience. We did not find out that the course was in this condition until we arrived.

Response from Sterling Hills Management on 04/12/2017:

Hi Tim7062482,

Thank you for golfing with us and providing feedback on your experience. We're sorry you were not aware of recent course conditions. It is our standard to notify all golfers before purchasing a round. We hope you can come back so we can provide a better day of golf next time.

"Great shape"

wdp35's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2017

Course was in great shape, greens rolling really nicely

Tee'd off at 7am and was done by 1045am.

I was told they'd be punching the greens on 3/27 so just a heads up there if you plan to go play around then.

Response from Sterling Hills Management on 04/12/2017:

Hi wdp35,

Thank you for the 4 star review! We're happy to hear you played with consistent pace of play and good course conditions.