Omni La Costa Resort & Spa - Champions Course

Golf school / academy: Yes - "La Costa Golf Academy"

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is at a resort convenient to the city worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers entertaining clients a bucket list/top 100 pick   Challenges include bunkers water hazards undulating greens   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views patio dining

"Always fun to play but..."

hammer74's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/14/2018

La costa offers some of the finest golf course in North San diego and we love coming out here to play. Conditions are for the most part in good to excellent, although there are a few holes where there are lots of bird poop all over the tee and green (which we hope the management can address at some point).

One factor that makes coming here less fun is the fact that they reserve one course for members only so there is only 1 course available for play for public and resort guest. This is such a downer given that if you are staying here, you do not want to play the same course twice when there is another course available. Why don't they just reserve some slots for the members and let resort guest have some slots for both courses? I know they want to keep the members happy but what about resort guest?

Golf staff was friendly and efficient. Proshop was well stocked. Driving range - mats were kinda worn off and old which was not up to par for a course that charges premium for golf.

Greens are pretty nice. They rolled true. Well maintained.

Bunkers well stocked and consistent.

Layout was ok. Some interesting holes although i feel a bit more claustrophobic at Legends with some homes very close to the holes.

i still prefer Champions over Legends but didnt get a chance to play that since it was blocked off for members that day.

Klasmec's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/04/2018

It was a rough start with getting onto the course. So much going on and its a big resort! Lots of tourists and stuff! You will see what i mean!

The staff was friendly...

The course was nice after about 3 or 4 holes. The greens were a little sandy, fast, and slow.... but thats golf for ya! Its a bit expensive for food but then agaim, its at an expensive resort.

I booked it on golfnow and got a good price. We would never pay over 100.00 TOP!!!!

It is a ptetty course. The trees, water, homes flowets etc all very nice.

On the first hole, the bridge seems to be in the middle of the fairway making it a little tough. Coiple other little complaints .... but overall its nice to play...

"La Costa way too much"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/27/2017

Very overpriced for poor condition, slow play and mediocre layout. Extremely busy also. I’d recommend finding another course for this kind of money!!

"Average"

hammer6660's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/25/2017

Really disappointed in the conditions. Isn't this supposed to be a premier course?

Many greens had sections of sod that were being replaced.

Greens were over sanded. Fairways not that great.

"Bird droppings and a two some that CANNOT PLAY GOLF"

adicom's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/19/2017

I have played La Costa many times, probably 50 or more. I love both courses and layouts. The greens on Legends were sanded but rolled true. Some bare spots. The issue was BIRD DROPPINGS WERE EVERYWHERE. Literally stepping in piles and putting on a green filled with clump and piles of bird excrement. Coots are the issue, thousands of them Somehow they need to be reined in. Then a twosome in front of us taking 10-15 fairway shots. Not exaggerating, and no marshal to tell them to let us play through or even to hurry them up. We finally passed them on 7. The group in front of them was on 11 when we finished 7. The staff needed to be on this. The pace was great after passing them. But the bird droppings must be addressed.

"Great Course and Staff!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/12/2017

I live in the area and have been wanting to give this course a try. The course did not disappoint, my game on the other hand....

The staff was phenomenal in guiding us from the check in all through post round. Once you get set with your cart, you'll see some great views as you warm up. It would have been a challenge to get to the driving range without the staff pointing us in the right direction.

The course was in great condition and the pace of play was in line with our game. For the majority, the course has some give for a few errant (because we all have them) and give you a chance to compete.

Of course the weather was perfect, but when is it not in this part of town. Dustin and the team took great care of us and I'm sure will take great care of you too!

"Good older course"

chucklehead51's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/04/2017

Had a chance to play La Costa for the first time last week. Followed a junior tournament, so pace was great as most players were done on the course.

Nice layout with good variety of holes. Fair amount of parallel holes with few holes that would be considered memorable. Overall good condition with fast, firm greens. Some patches on greens where repairs had been made but no real problem. Staff was great and facilities are top notch. Would happily play here again but would not pay over $75 as there are more interesting courses in the area.

Only real down side is the chaos in the parking area in front of the clubhouse. This entrance area serves not only the two golf courses, but the entire hotel, function and food venues, so there are tons of cars converging on this small area at the same time. Just poor design from back in the day.

Commented on 12/15/2017

chucklehead51 Thanks so much for playing with us and glad you enjoyed the golf experience! Come back and see us again soon.

"Shelley Archibald Review"

AndrewA13's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/28/2017

My overall experience of this course was supurb. Dustin Irwin recommended my son and I to golf at Omni La Costa. We had a great breakfast at Vue in the resort before our round. All of the staff was exemplery, from valet to starter. Every member of the La Costa staff greeted us with warm welcomes and made the experience relaxing and luxurious. The course was in excellent shape and our round of the Champions Course was perfect. I would recommend this resort and course to anyone.

Commented on 12/02/2017

Thanks for playing with us Shelley! Glad you enjoyed your experience and looking forward to having you back again soon.

"Staff is top notch / course layout and conditions are great"

Jepeter2's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/26/2017

First time playing the course in my backyard.

Staff - very friendly, knowledgeable, and overall great people. Genuinely care about putting the customer first Ina hospitality setting.

Had the pleasure to meet and speaks the director of Golf and some of the other staff members. Unbelievable people making the experience that much better.

Looking forward to playing again soon!

"Over priced and underwhelming amenities"

MikeVegas777's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/26/2017

I have played this course 4 times this year (3 on the Legends and 1 on the Champions course). For the $ spent you’ll receive a better value playing The Crossings or Arrowood. The Legenda course is in much nicer shape & condition. The Chanpions course has a Basic layout and your garden variety offering of hotdog, brat, turkey or Roast Beef sandwich and tuna cup/wrap provided a lackluster experience given the price charged for the round.

Commented on 12/02/2017

MikeVegas777 thanks so much for sharing your feedback and I'm sorry to hear you felt underwhelmed. We will certainly take your comments into consideration as we continue to make improvements to the golf experience. Feel free to email me directly if I can ever be of assistance dustin.irwin@omnihotels.com

"Value"

rpaiko's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/20/2017

This older iconic destination is worth what I paid $60. Fine people, good condition but not memorable. Still glad I tried it out. Nice to blend in with the rich and famous.

Commented on 12/02/2017

rpaiko Thank you for submitting your review and we look forward to having you out to play again soon.

"Very playable for all levels of golfers! In great shape"

HappyGilmore31's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/19/2017

The Legends Course is not nearly as difficult as the Champions 18 but it's in way better shape. Greens roll true at a good pace but are kept soft making them receptive. Few areas where patch ups have been made are usually not where the cup is cut. Nicely kept fairways and tees along with the friendly staff made this an enjoyable round. Champions course still gets my nod as the better layout but lots of fun can be had with the Legends.

Commented on 12/02/2017

HappyGilmore31 thanks so much for playing with us and for the positive comments. Looking forward to having you back again soon.

uLHYR4917LH's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/06/2017

Commented on 12/02/2017

uLHYR4917LH Thank you for the recommendation! Hope we see you again soon!

"Great layout, but not great conditions."

HappyGilmore31's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/05/2017

Omni La Costa is a course I was very excited to play, having heard great things. I went in with high expectations and unfortunately came out a little disappointed. The course itself is great, nice layout with plenty of well placed bunckers. Unfortunately most of those bunckers were rocky with very little sand. Greens rolled at a nice consistent speed but through the green dead patches of grass everywhere made finding a good lie difficult.

"very good"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/31/2017

I played at the legend course. Tee box, fairways and green was awesome. Other than that cart can not went into fairway, everything was good.

Commented on 12/02/2017

u352735193 Thanks so much for your review! The Legends Course is no longer Cart Path Only - come back and see us again soon!

"La Costa champions course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/28/2017

Course had been punched 2 weeks prior , so with that in consideration it still played well, balls tracked fairly well on green. Beautiful course though it’s surrounded on many holes by homes. Many bunkers surround holes and lots of water on back nine. Paid $119 with cart for a course I think is $75, though this is San Diego and everything seems inflated

DerrickBonar's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2017

U000005844803's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/17/2017

"Great Resort Course"

dclholeinone's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2017

I paid $60, cheap for a Sunday. It should have tipped me off that something was amiss: like, the course was recently overseeded and cart path rule was in effect. I did not see that on the website; told at check-in. High rough made for a fun day. Love the course; was in great shape; would definitely return.

Commented on 12/02/2017

dclholeinone Thanks for coming out to play with us. Legends is no longer cart path only - come back and see us again soon.

"Really nice, except for the CART PATH ONLY surprise"

kas062489's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2017

Really enjoyed the course, and felt I got a great deal. My only beef was nothing on the Golf Now app said anything about a CART PATH ONLY restriction. Only after I paid was I informed of this. I'm in good shape, so it wasn't horrible, but it most-def impacted shot selection and speed of play. Ov er , I enjoyed myself quite a bit.

Commented on 12/02/2017

kas062489 Thanks for your feedback and glad to hear you enjoyed the course. We are no longer Cart Path Only - hope to see you again soon.