Dogwood Trace Golf Course

• 3108 Homestead Dr, Petersburg, Virginia 23805, Petersburg (City) County
  • www.dogwoodtracegolf.com

Year built: 2008
Architect(s): Tom Clark (2008)
Type: Public/Municipal
Style: Parkland

Driving range: No

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 4.4 stars from 5

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for locals walkers seniors   Challenges include bunkers water hazards undulating greens   Great for drinks

None's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/15/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2017

"Best course in tri cities"

charles8659867's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2017

Dogwood trace is the go to course. Front nine is pretty easy but the back has some challenges.

"Another great round"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/10/2017

Former member who always enjoys going back. Bermuda just starting to emerge and wil be great in another 3-4 weeks.

"Great course for the money"

u719865904's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2017

This is a great course for the money. The greens are very nice.

"Gem of Petersburg"

Michael1168012's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/06/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

The town itself is going through some hard times and the area is a little socioeconomically depressed, however, you would never know it when you are on the course. This is a gem of a course in southern Virginia. I have played here multiple times at various times of the year. It is very well maintained and they have recently completed construction of a new clubhouse. There is also a restaurant within the clubhouse you can refresh with both adult beverages and softdrinks. Also completed recently is practice are to include sand traps and chip shots from the rough. If you are in the are, do not miss out on theis gem of a course.

"Private Club Quality at a Public Course"

Evo8Lee's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/02/2017

My regular group plays this course 10-12 times a year, throughout the entire year. The course is moderately challenging (especially the front nine) and is always in very good to great shape. They have some of the best greens in the area. The entire course is still brown from winter but the fairways are still pretty lush and the greens are rolling true. I only wish players would take the time to repair their divots and rake the bunkers, but that can be said for almost every golf course around.

The newly built clubhouse is very nice with a full bar and a grill that serves pretty decent food. They have a nice practice area and the staff is usually pretty friendly and accommodating.

The only minor annoyance is the fact the course is across the street from the local high school and in the fall it's not uncommon to have to play your entire round while listening to the marching band and drum line practice for hours in the school parking lot. Our group has also been berated several times when the kids get out of school and are heading home, but hey- kids will be kids and there's not much the course can do about it. It's just distracting to the point it's annoying.

Overall, this is one of the better courses in the area and is almost always in tip top shape. The entire city of Petersburg is currently dealing with a financial crisis and possible bankruptcy, and since the course is owned and maintained by the city, it could effect the survival of this hidden gem. Come out and play here and help them keep this place awesome and more importantly- open.

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 04/02/2017:

What a terrific review! We're so grateful for wonderful supportive golfers such as yourself and we intend to be a staple in this community for many years to come. We're gearing up for some great spring golf and we hope you are, too!

wjcevans's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/01/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

Very nice course and is in pretty good shape for this time of year. Weekday had good pace of play and never felt pushed. Fairways and roughs were brown, but expect that they will green up nicely in the coming weeks.

Downside to this course is that it is very open, thus errant shots usually will end up on another fairway. Personally, I prefer more trees between holes. Course feels as if they just had enough room for 18 holes.

Don't get me wrong, this is a good course and will definitely play it again.

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 04/02/2017:

Thank you for taking the time to leave us great, nuanced feedback. We hope your next round with us will be even better!

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/25/2017

"Awsome course!!"

Viper99's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/23/2017

Keeping in mind it is February the course fairways were not green but surprisingly the greens were and overall in amazing condition.. This was one of the best courses I have played on for the money, course was layed out well and open with a nice amount of sand traps and water hazards to make it interesting. I can't wait to return to this cours when it is green, definitely recommend this course to anyone.

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 04/02/2017:

Thank you for the great review and kind words about our conditions! We look forward to seeing you out there for some great Spring golf!

"Great value"

Drew1398731's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/21/2017

Love the 2 different 9s the front has a series of different elevations & the back is more of a parkland style course

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 04/02/2017:

We're glad to hear that you enjoy the variation! We hope you'll make it back out here again soon to enjoy our great Spring conditions.

"Awesome course"

YaBoiTaco's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/18/2017

Great course, with a really friendly staff. Will definitely be going back in the future

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 04/02/2017:

That's great to hear! We look forward to your next visit.

"Just wanted to have fun..."

Bill7087204's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/12/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

A very playable course with a mix of challenging and easy holes. Forward pins are ideal for amateur hackers. Course layout has a large number of parallel opposing fairways without barriers, so expect frequent sharing on busy days. Even still, pace of play was an acceptable 4 1/2 hours on a beautiful and busy Sunday. UNLESS you happen to be in a foursome in front of a group of members/regulars/special guests who want to play in 3:45. After getting hit into 3 times and having them sic the marshall on us for taking too long on a cart path only hole, my fun was over. Avoid the weekends. This isn't the first time the self-anointed have spoiled a round for the guest duffers.

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 04/02/2017:

We really appreciate the feedback, Bill, and we're sorry to hear that you were rushed. We certainly never want our golfers to feel hounded when decent POP is adhered to. We will certainly look into this, but we hope you'll be back to play again anyway!

Commented on 02/23/2017

I can guaranty the 3rd ball into my group, if not the 2nd one, would have fast become a lost ball. LOL

"Golf at a Great Value"

kiddddd12's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/07/2017

Golf course is a great value for the money. Front 9 was very user friendly with wide fairways, however bunkers do come into play. Back 9 is much longer and more challenging with tighter chutes. Most fairways lined with trees and water on some holes. Greens were good especially for winter and the play the course gets, they rolled true in most cases. Their amenities were good with driving range and putting green. My only regret was not having fried chicken or wings in the clubhouse. Looked very appetizing and will definitely check it out next time. The staff in clubhouse and restaraunt were very friendly and happy to accomodate any requests! I would highly recommend this course.

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 04/02/2017:

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a great review! We're happy to hear that you found your round fun but also challenging and that you enjoyed the conditions. Please come and see us again soon and make sure you don't miss out on the food this time!

"Best kept secret in the RVA"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/02/2017

Dogwood Trace is the best kept secret in the Richmond area. The greens are immaculate and the tee boxes and fairways are very playable even now in the winter time. The Proshop staff is very friendly and accommodating and the pace of play is always reasonable.

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 02/08/2017:

Thank you for taking the time leave such an excellent review! We can't tell you how much we appreciate the kind words and 5 stars! Please come and see us again soon.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/19/2017

"Great layout, excellent condition!"

OGS's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/27/2016

I really like playing Dogwood Trace. It's such a great golf course that is laid out for the better golfer.

The staff is always super friendly, genuinely so.

My only regret is that I can't play it more often. Enough said!

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 01/09/2017:

Thanks so much for the great review! We're so happy to hear that you enjoy playing here and we look forward to your next visit; we hope it's soon!

"Well Kept Public Course"

Terry7459185's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/26/2016
First time playing Used cart Cold weather Verified Purchaser

I played this course for the first time while visiting family over the Christmas holiday. The weather was in the high 40's/low 50's. The fairways were in good condition for December, but the greens were in surprisingly very good shape. Nice and green with true roll. The course offers and nice challenge for mid to high handicappers. Next time I'm in the area, I will definitely play this course again.

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 01/09/2017:

Thanks so much for leaving a great review! We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your round with us, despite the chilly weather and we hope to see you next time you're in town!

"Doomsday never arrived!!!!"

SELFTAUGHTMAN's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/30/2016

All of the negative publicity that has been put forth regarding Petersburg's fiscal issues, causing the demise of the "Jewel of Petersburg's---Dogwood Trace Golf Club" has proven to be absolutely false I brought a group of 7 golfers to the club Wednesday, 11/30/16. It was 75 degrees. 1.) The greens had been cut. 2.) Tractor with blower removing leaves from fairways. 3.) Mower cutting rough area and chopping leaves in wooded areas between fairways. All while we were playing. The Pro Shop still had their same smiling faces and great welcoming attitude. The new restaurant had Christmas decorations up and food still super delicious with generous portions. Truly a great restaurant for golfers or non-golfers Jamie Fagan and Nick Robinson "take a bow". Your leadership has resulted in the Golf Course not "skipping a beat...Congratulations to the City of Petersburg....

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 12/06/2016:

Thank you so much for leaving such a terrific and uplifting review! Our staff has worked and continues to work incredibly hard to keep Dogwood Trace in great condition and we're so happy to hear that our golfers notice. We hope you'll continue to be impressed for many years to come and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

"One of the best golf courses in the region"

Steve6890653's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/03/2016

If you looking for a great place to play a round in central Virginia, dogwood trace is the place.

Response from Dogwood Trace Golf Course on 11/07/2016:

Thanks so much for the recommendation, Steve! Please come out and see us again soon!