Wild Wing Plantation - Hummingbird Course

"Well kept Secret"

big1515's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/19/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Played this course in the father and son tournament. The course is always in good condition and gives you a lot of different looks.. this is one of the only courses in Myrtle Beach that does not double T. I consider this a substantial advantage.

"Great course"

Matthew3304221's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/04/2017

First round off the plane on a thursday afternoon. Course was just what the doctor ordered. Great layout from tee to green. Greens were in great shape and had very nice speed. Some undulating but most with nice predictable breaks making putting fun. The course is fair off the tee and had a very nice variety. Approaches were straightforward to challenging making club choice and landing spot important.

Bottom line is that this course was the best value we played down there on entire trip as we played caledonia, true blue and tidewater which were all very nice but pricey.

"Gem in Myrtle"

fingersfreddy's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

This was the last course we played while in Myrtle Beach. We were trying out a different course every day, and were pleasantly surprised at each. Our price point was around the $50 range. I am a 5 handicap, and the others are in the teens.

This was definitely the best course we played while in the area. The fairways were fantastic, rained hard the day before but drainage was best I have ever seen. Greens were all fantastic, and layout perfect.

Was nice that I could play back tees and they could play one up to have a good challenge. Very playable course, disappointed that i couldn't play again.

I will be back to this course for sure next time I am in the area....go there while the price is still reasonable!

"A New Favorite"

Sciferri's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2017

We played Wild Wing Avocet in 25 mph steady winds and a day after the course received 3 inches of rain. Despite it being a little wet and running cart paths only the course was absolutely beautiful. Fairways,tees, and greens we're in perfect shape and the views were spectacular. One of the prettiest courses in Myrtle Beach. It was a treat being this was our first time playing it. Will definitely be on our must play list for next year. Being a 4 handicap, well maintained, challenging golf courses are very important. Wild Wing exceeds both of those things. A true beauty of a golf course!!

"Seemed like a good course"

kfish64's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2017

Our buddies trip of 11 played here last month. Unfortunately, some wicked storms passed through the night before and the morning of our scheduled round, so we delayed our tee times until around noon. Given the amount of rain, it wasn't a surprise that we were limited to cart path only. What was a surprise tho was the great condition of the course, given the downpour. Yes, it was wet and yes the bunkers were mud, but taken in context, the course really was in great shape. It was our first time playing here but we all agreed we enjoyed it enough that we'd like to give it another try next year -- hopefully it'll be a little drier and the gale force winds will be a little lighter.

"Beautiful Property"

tkmarsh's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/19/2017

This was by far the best course I played my week in Myrtle Beach. Reminded me of a desert course. The rough was brown but the tees, fairways and greens were bright green. It was fairly soft and played very long. I played the white tees but probably should have moved up 1. Tough greens to read and lots of undulation. Played on a Thursday afternoon and the course was basically empty.

"Great Course and super conditions but be prepared for SLOW play"

mckeenlw's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/14/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I love playing this course except for one reason I'll discuss at the end. The conditions are consistently some of the best in Myrtle Beach. Greens are always fabulous. The course can get wet, call ahead to check on cart restrictions as there can be a lot of walking on cart path only days.

It almost always takes 4.75 to 5 hours to play however. The rangers are useless and will never ask anyone to pick up pace of play. I prefer to call them course monitors, they tell you it is playing slow and why but do nothing about it.

Cart girl deal of the area: $5 for a hot dog and drink.

"Avocet"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/29/2016

Course was in good shape...greens were smooth just rolling a touch slow..prob 9 on the stimp....for the right price this course is worth playing. Layout was good with some interesting holes.

"Day 2 2016 Myrtle Beach World Am"

rkimbrell's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/30/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Drew Wild Wing Avocet for Day 2 of the 2016 Myrtle Beach World Am. We had 96 players on the course and the staff handled it well. T hey were very friendly and courteous. The course was in excellent shape. The greens were fast by Myrtle Beach standards for summertime. Very smooth and putted true. Lots of undulations. The fairways were nice, tee boxes in good shape and the bunkers were groomed well.

Very good layout with some very good holes.

Well worth playing if you are in MB area.

"Wild Wing a True Test"

JackStraw6's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Don't let the first hole fool ya. After this manageable dogleg, the holes lengthen and the long irons have to come out of the bag. Quite a few long par fours here folks. I found myself hitting 4/5 irons into greens instead of 7/9.As with most courses down here, it's in great shape and the greens fast and true. As most hackers do, I prefer them a little on the slow side. I'd definitely bring the fellas here for a round.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Finally played Wild Wing"

cigarsmkr1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/15/2015
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

After travelling to Myrtle Beach and playing golf there for 25+ years, I finally made it to Wild Wing - no disappointment here. Rick Schultz, PGA Head Pro, helped me make a tee time prior to my trip. Rick was communicative about the course and his assistance set the tone for the round. Matt greeted us in the Pro Shop - welcomed our group and was very friendly and happy for us to play. Jeff was our cart guy - super nice. Howard was the designated starter and gave us a preview of what to expect.<br/> Avocet at WW is a challenging but fair layout. There are four Par 4s with better than average length from the white tees. Lots of variety on each hole, bunkers in great shape as well as the greens.

Don't wait or hesitate to play WW!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Nice course if you have 6 hours to play 18 Holes"

SCSandiB's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

The course itself is lovely. Challenging holes and longer than I am used to from the ladies' tees. The starter was very friendly. We are locals and we like to support golf clubs other than our own, by playing different courses on the weekends. There were 11 in our group on this day. We all had rain checks from a previous visit when, after 3 hours and we had only arrived at the 9th tee box, we ended our play. On that previous visit, we assumed the slow play was due to the group in front of us using "caddy girls" which dramatically slows down the pace of play. However, we have realized that maybe the caddy girls weren't the only problem. On yesterday's visit, the group in front of our first foursome was as slow as could be. They would hit multiple balls each off the tee, if they weren't happy with their first shot. Also in the fairway, if they weren't happy with a shot, they would pull another ball out of their pocket and keep hitting until they liked the result. On one tee our ladies inadvertently hit into them...surprised that the tee shot went as far as it did. It trickled close to where they were standing, and they actually drove their carts BACK to our group and told them to go back to THE home! When the ranger finally came by to check, I don't think they did anything to move the group in front of us since it never got any faster. At one point all three of our groups were waiting to tee off, with the twosome behind us joining us just as our first group finally got to hit. Our round took over 5 1/2 hours, and the course was not very crowded. After we finished, one of our group went in to the pro shop to express our displeasure. They did not seem too concerned over the pace of play except to offer us another rain check. Maybe instead of being so generous in passing out rain checks to us for slow play, they might try to figure out how to speed up the play! Our group of 12 locals will likely support other courses in the area. Too bad, since it is a pretty and interesting course. You can tell I am upset, but there really isn't any excuse for such slow pace of play. I feel the rangers primary job is to make sure the pace of play is met, by moving the slower players along. Maybe for this course, this is not a priority.

"don't play"

tpagillen's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2015

Course was great for this time of year. . Now that is all I can say that's positive. Had a1:2<br/> 0 tee time pushed back to 1:45 /2 because they had no carts?????? Now for pace of play - playing in two groups of three, after three hrs we were only on the12th hole looking at another two hrs minimum??? Now about staff showing compassion, sorry just doesn't seem to cover It.I can see why they went from 72 holes to their current 27. Would I recommend playing there, only off you have about 7 hrs to spare

Quality of food & beverage: Poor

"Good course, slow play"

cwright137's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/23/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Challenging course. Conditions were a bit dry and 4 holes were being overseeded and were cart path only. Played the front nine in good time but then play slowed on back nine (played holes 10 and 11 in 40 minutes). Had to wait for cart on check in (cart guy did not seem too organized) but starter was very friendly and helpful and offered advice on course. No GPS on cart. Would play again but for the money, thought other courses we played were better value (e.g. Long Bay). Women's tees were fair.

"I really enjoyed the course. The staff was really friendly and helped me find a club that I left at a green."

None's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 5/18/2014

I really enjoyed the course. I was surprised the slope rating from the blue tees was only 127 since they had 2 par fours that were around 450 yards .

The staff was great and also the people that I was paired with.

"Excellent setting, no homes on course."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2013

The greens were in great condition, fast, but true.

"Tough greens"

Johnny5065947's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/30/2013

The course was in great condtion. Plays long and greens can be frustrating depending on pin placement.<br/> Excellent value and nice scenery.

"Fairways flooded"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 7/2/2013

I played this course after heavy overnight rain,it was very wet,even tee boxes bringing up water ,after a couple of heavy down pours,fairways flooded ,bunkers also flooded.greens held up well.at 52 dollars it was not worth it. Price should have been reduced to suit conditions..feel they just wanted the money.

"This course is a hidden jewel."

hh2b's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 6/05/2013

My wife and I found this course suited for both high and low handicap golfers. Tee choice is key. Soft fairways reduced distance but kept more tee shots in play. Traps were well maintained and fair. Greens recently verticut confirming good maintenance. Staff very helpful and GolfNow Tee times arrangements were accurrate. Watch out for the squirrels and raccoons....they are very clever food scavengers when you are away from the cart on some holes!

"Fantastic Golf."

dewburd's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2013

We had our final MB round here at Wild Wing - Avocet.<br/> It was a GREAT conclusion to our golf trip!<br/> The Best Course we played. Very Scenic. Perfect Greens.<br/> Lots of bunkers, with good sand. Nice slopes.<br/> We will be sure to play several times here our next MB trip.