Steele Canyon Golf Club - Canyon/Vineyard

• 3199 Stonefield Dr, Jamul, California 91935, San Diego County
  • www.steelecanyon.com

Year built: 1991
Architect(s): Gary Player (1991)
Type: Semi-Private
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Dress code: Appropriate golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex & Discover are welcomed.

Black Knight 70 6571 yards 72.3 136

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views locals   Challenges include elevation changes forced carries bunkers   Great for drinks brunch patio dining

"Challenging layout"

George4884218's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/14/2017

Course was in great condition being the greens had been punched within the month, hey we're rolling at 9.5 and it seemed to be pretty accurate.

Must be prepared for several blind shots if it's your first time playing. I played a hole and didn't realize it had a spit fairway, great hole just didn't have direction.

Will definitely play it agin when I'm in SanDiego!

"A Poor Experience All-Around"

erwinhero's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/11/2017

I feel that I have worked hard hard to enjoy Monday afternoons off, but working a 9-5 would have been more enjoyable today.

Alex, the pro shop employee greeted my business partner and I with reluctance, as if he had to work today but not by choice. We travel regularly and my partner's clubs were not in the city at the moment. We virtually had the course to ourselves (his words) this afternoon yet he would not let us continue unless my friend paid $55 for a second-rate, scarred set of clubs we didn't even use. It's not about the money, but the principle, his lack of discernment and curt nature. Furthermore, the staff all around (except the cart boy) wears a fake smile; the delivery of service is sub-par, but unlike golf, that's not a good thing.

The course conditions may be the worst I've seen from a premium course on the west coast. I don't know where to start and it's hard not to take me for a drama-queen but the following were witnessed first hand, not opinions. The greens were filled with unfixed divots and large leaves scattered about, the sand, some hard with rocks, some mushy, the rakes moldy, the fairways almost yellow, dirty cart paths, rivers parched and I can go on. I would say just see for yourself but that's probably counterproductive for this review.

The layout and signage was difficult to understand. It feels like they built the housing community first and then arranged the golf course blueprint. There are cars passing, dogs barking and pedestrians walking/running ON THE COURSE FAIRWAYS! I've never seen such a thing...and I'm talking almost every hole. Not a peaceful experience, infested with unwanted noise and insects (oh my did we get an ear-full).

If you are going to drive 40 minutes east of San Diego proper, where there is bountiful real estate to design a superior golfing experience, then this is the last thing you would expect. Pass on this as San Diego extended is home to some of the best golfing destinations and there are so many options (even municipal) far better than this.

"Great Course"

bcooper21376's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/10/2017

This is one of my favorite courses in San Diego. The course is always in great shape and the greens run true. Wish I could get a Hot Deal on this course every weekend.

"Loved it!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/09/2017

Great people, great scenery, greens were tip top! Had a blast. Highly recommend

"Top notch course conditions"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

This course is arguably in the best shape of any daily fee course in the San Diego area. By far the best greens I have played on in recent memory. Maybe because it was labor day, but I played a full 18 holes in under 3 hours. The whole experience was excellent. Wish I could play here all the time!

"Great views"

pvanveen's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2017

Nice course. Little tough for average golfers because of several long carries

.Greens good and okay fairways. long rough. Would definitely play again

"Target Golf"

Jon3132782's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/13/2017

Pretty tough course. Hit em straight! Very fun and challenging for the weekend golfer like myself. Course was in great shape. Only input is the signage. Holes seemed difficult to find on a few as there were not many signs letting you know where your next hole was till you passed it. Other than that, great track. I will be back.

"Great Saturday"

mrbcanfan's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/12/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Got a great hot deal rate for $35 for a 12:51pm tee time. Got sent off as a twosome as the the starter was nice enough to have us play the nines in a different order to avoid a five hour round. We were able to play under 3 and a half hours. Course was pretty good shape, starting to get baked out a bit which is expected in August. Greens were great and actually a little slow which is helps considering some of the slopes on the green. Overall a great afternoon with no complaints.

"Great value for your money, quality course"

sperrymason's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2017

The course has three nines and the two I played were very well maintained. A variety of holes with a few challenging ones on each nine. Greens were in very good shape. Played in just over three and a half hours.

HDBONG's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2017

"Challenging and Fun"

npascall's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Steel Canyon is a unique, well-maintained, and challenging golf course, especially on a breezy afternoon. But, that's what I liked about it: the layout forced me to concentrate on every shot to keep my score from spiraling out of control. Staff was efficient but I wouldn't call them friendly. Overall, a fun day on the golf course.

"Good old Steele for a Hotdeal"

Bickx's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2017

Course is in great condition. Greens are fast (10+) and the pace of play was spectacular in the afternoon at under 3 hours.

bigskeeter's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/14/2017

This course has extremely nice staff. The greens are awesome. The fairways need a little help but not bad for California and the drought conditions. We play this course every year when we visit.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/25/2017

"Eat bfast elsewhere if teeing off early"

Dale4213004's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2017

Steele used to have an awesome bfast. Buddies and I would meet early before our 7:00-8:00am (beat the heat) tee times for bfast and a Bloody Mary, but we were disappointed to learn the kitchen and bar no longer open at 6:00. The only thing they can offer you before 9:30 is a microwaved Jimmy Dean sausage sandwich. Yuk.

Commented on 07/27/2017

Hi Dale,

Sorry you were not informed of our restaurant hours. The restaurant and kitchen are open Mon-Fri from 10am-roughly 6pm, weekends and holidays from 7am-roughly 6pm. Closing times vary with the daylight hours and depending on special events. Our snack bar is open daily at 7am and has muffins, fruit and packaged foods that can be heated up. Many of our early birds join us after their round to enjoy breakfast as our Chef puts out a great meal.

"great time"

u000001924576's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/22/2017

Played this two days after Plying The Crossings in Carlsbad,,,,We loved playing here SO much more

"Always a Good Experience"

Craigrsnyder's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2017

This was the third time I have played Steele Canyon, first time I have played the Canyon 9, and I have enjoyed myself every time. If I go to play a course and the amenities, carts, and especially the greens are in good condition I'm happy. If you live in San Diego County and are able to get the resident rate, it's a great deal. All three nines are fun to play and offer some interesting shots and a few gorgeous views. The design itself is good, not terribly interesting or exciting but also not quirky or unfair. I like to walk sometimes and unfortunately that's not an option. It's not a knock on the course because the terrain offered no other choice, but you're not walking Steele Canyon. When all is said and done, if you keep your greens in good shape and running at 10 on the Stimp, I'm in!

"Glad I had a chance to play here!"

Kim8800487's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/04/2017

I was looking for a course to play in the surrounding San Diego area while visiting. On Sunday morning, I opened my GolfNow app and found a HotDeal for $59 for this course, normally $112. This course has three 9 holes: Canyon, Ranch, & Vineyard.

I arrived and checked in 20 mins prior to my tee time. The pro shop said I could get started early and to check in with the starter. The starter said he was ready to let me go out, except it would be Vineyard and Ranch course. Based on what I read in the reviews, the Vineyard course would be narrow with lots of houses lined along the course so I asked if could play the Canyon and Ranch instead. He said no problem but wait would be about 15 minutes. Perfect, I grabbed my bag and loaded my golf cart. He gave me a yard book for reference since I told him it was my first time at this course. This yard book came a long way for me and I couldn't believe the starter gave it to me for free!

The canyon course was beautiful, every hole was scenic with lots of elevation changes. I noted that the 1st hole had a posted sign, beware of rattlesnakes. Also, at 1st hole, there are lots of range balls to the left of the fairway so avoid hitting to that side or use a colored ball so you can find yours if needed. My favorite hole on this course was the #5. It was the most impressive, with steep elevation changes and has a lookout point of pond from hole #6. This hole also has a large patch of rough from tee box so it creates quite a challenge for a long par 3.

Hole 2, beware of sand bunkers (lots of them) on the left of fairway.

Hole #4 has large patch of rough to get to the fairway. This was a challenging hole.

Hole 8 has the green surrounded by water to the left and makes it essential to lay up before trying to land it there. I saw quite a few balls in the water below.

By the time I got to the Ranch course, I felt beaten down as this was a hard course to play and I had lost quite a few balls on the par 3s. The Ranch course was a little more challenging and also nice as well. I highly recommend this course as it is very well maintained, friendly staff, great cart service that's hard to find in Los Angeles, excellent greens, and great pace of play. I finished my round in 4 hours on a Sunday afternoon!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2017

Beautiful course with great views. The course was in excellent condition. I played the Ranch and Vineyard 9's. Personally i could have played tge Ranch 9 over and over

"Ranch & Vineyard courses"

pklphd's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2017

My step-son and I had a great afternoon of golf at Steele Canyon. It was all that we had heard and more. The courses were challenging but the beauty of each fairway and green layout more than made up for our bruised egos. We played on Monday without pressure from any other players ahead or behind us. All of the staff we encountered were cordial and pleasantly helpful. I was frustrated that neither GolfLogix or GolfNow GPS apps worked to give us yardages, however.