Ko'olau Golf Club

2.7419176471 2.7 stars from 5 (198)

GPS: No

Practice bunker: Yes

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover, JCB Welcomed

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers a bucket list/top 100 pick   Challenges include forced carries narrow fairways elevation changes   Great for 19th hole scenic views drinks

"Spectacular!!"

johnhko's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/14/2017

We lucked out totally. Weather was perfect other than a little mist on 2 holes. Booked a hot deals time. There was a single who played in front of us and we never saw him again after the 3rd hole. Nobody behind us ALL ROUND! Had the course to ourselves and the maintenance crew. Took our time taking absolutely gorgeous pictures. Course is tough if you don't hit the fairway but I actually expected worse after reading reviews from years ago. Apparently new management has cleared lot of the difficulty away now and is still working on it. I would love to play it again now that I know where to put the ball. Views are breathtaking. Must play if you're on Oahu and the weather is ok. It does get a lot of rain there apparently. Check with the pro shop.

"Awesome views"

Nua2885107's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/12/2017

Great pace, awesome views. Tough rough, and if you want to score well lay up.

"wowza"

roydoesski's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2017

We weren't sure what to expect, but what a fantastic course. Actually it's quite fair if you knew where to hit the ball. We're going to play it again this trip and hopefully I will score better I only lost 4 balls. I'd recommend this course to 12 handicap or better it's just phenomenal and his views are breathtaking keep it in the stairway because they have some kind of weird grass that grows in the rough and it makes it almost impossible to hit a good shot because the ball sits down so low

"This course is awesome"

jed34's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2017

Great course. Recently a large investment in cleaning up the course has paid off. Course is much better and drier. Highly recommended!!

"May The Force Be With You"

Greg8924995's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2017

Challenging course if your not hitting it very well!

Bring your Imagination and a couple extra balls.

Staff is very accommodating and they offer an Industry's Rate! Eat after in the Clubhouse. Bleu Burger is Da "Bomb"!

"Extremely challenging but fun."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2017

Every hole would be a signature hole at average courses.Conditions were fair. Greens needed help.Full fee would have been too much to pay considering the conditions. It was worth what I paid.

"Wow, this course looks brand-new!"

Bustoh's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2017

This course has significantly improved from months past. They have removed the overgrown trees and cleaned up the greens and fairways. You end up losing less balls, while still being challenged.

The range has also been replenished, with multiple scenarios to test.

To gain a 5 star, I would like to see all the bunkers filled with sand (although many are being refilled) and reinstall the markers in the range.

Otherwise, you should see the course of you haven't seen it recently. They have spent a tremendous amount cleaning up the course.

"Endemic of the decline in golf rounds"

fuzzypixels's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2017

One of the best layouts reminiscent of the Prince Course in Kauai (closed now). The bunkers were bare, the greens were uneven and the fairways are slowly being taken over by crabgrass. It's a real shame, because if course conditions were better, it would be a top ten course for me. Every hole requires thought and you will use every club in your bag. You could tell that they sunk a lot of money into this place during its heyday. Now it's barely hanging on. Sad to see such a great design not given the respect it's due, but business is business.

Response from Koolau Golf Club on 08/11/2017:

Hello Tony, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Koolau Golf Club in the Hawaii area. We are sorry to hear that the course may have not been in the best shape when you played and your feedback is greatly appreciated. It sounds like you enjoyed the course layout and that you had a smooth round, so we are happy to hear that. Thank you for the 3 star review and we hope to see you again soon.

"Breathtaking"

mookaman's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/30/2017

Still one of the toughest ,spectacular views.ravines not much water holes imagine if they did have them greens in great shape,fairways fair,some bunkers needs work which the course management was working on,bring at least two dozen balls you will need them.bring a camera sites are unreal.see it play it to find out a must play club.

"Jurassic Park Golf"

andrew1754972's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2017

Beautiful course! The views are worth the price alone. Bring extra liquids(and extra balls).

"Course Conditions"

Swino's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2017

I loved the layout and the beautiful scenery all around the Course . However, crabgrass is starting to take over the fairways, green and rough. They really need to get this under control quickly, or it will only be crabgrass, instead of grass.

Response from Koolau Golf Club on 05/22/2017:

Hello David, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and pace of play. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"This course will test every aspect of your game!"

Ronald8673924's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/11/2017

Staff at the course were very friendly and made us feel very welcomed!

Carlton at the pro shop when we check in was warm and welcoming! It made our day that much better and our experience in the golf course pleasant.

Will definitely come back and highly recommend.

Ron Ramos

"hawaii vacation"

bruceabelt's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2017

Course was very challenging but was playable. Greens were not real good as far as being smooth but had a lot of slope on most. They were in the process of removing a lot of the trees and brush from the areas between the holes and that detracted from the beauty of the course.

Response from Koolau Golf Club on 04/05/2017:

Aloha Bruce, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course. We are sorry about the course conditions, but we are glad you enojoyed our layout and pace of play. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon. Mahalo nui loa!

"Work in progress"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/27/2017

They're spending a great deal of money removing trees which will open up the course nicely. That said, they should first invest in the greens. I can forgive poor tee boxes and even pretty iffy fairways but to have greens that are pathetic at best is not acceptable. There wasn't a true roll the entire 18 holes among our foursome anything outside 4 feet. The staff was kind and accommodating. The layout was very challenging and when they get the greens figure it out it will be a must play.

Response from Koolau Golf Club on 03/29/2017:

Hi Kent, thank you for the review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our course's layout and that our staff was friendly. We do however regret to hear that the course conditions were not up to par. This is not the experience we want for our golfers and will definitely pass this note along. Thank you for playing and we hope to see you again!

Commented on 03/29/2017

Aloha and thank you for your feedback! We are doing massive renovations to restore the course as you observed. The jungle encroached on the course so badly that we were on the verge of losing the greens due to lack of sunlight and airflow. The 1st step to restoring the greens was to clear the surrounding trees. Since the removal of the trees, the greens that were nearly lost have recovered about 90% and we expect full recovery soon. Thank you again and please let me know if you are back this way to see us when the restoration is completed.

"Jungle Views"

Michael2588587's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/23/2017

Negatives: terrible conditions, uneven tee boxes, fairway bare spots with some weird looking jungle grass that was painful to hit out of, and the greens were the worst I'd ever seen on any course.

Positive: absolutely stunning views as u look up at the mountain above, you can see the clouds touching the mountain and that is beautiful. Pace of play was quick and I really enjoyed the challenge of this course. Staff were pleasant.

My home course has a slope rating of 136 and I believe this course is a 156. That translates into a number of uneven lies and just a tough course. Unless you are an advanced golfer or one who understands target golf, then you will probably lose a number of balls. Some of the fairways are so narrow that the bounce after the carry can send your ball into the jungle. Also, there are a few holes that require a pretty long carry to clear ravines. In other words, this is not a beginner's course.

I would recommend you try this course because how often do you get to drive a golf cart around a jungle?

Response from Koolau Golf Club on 04/05/2017:

Hi Marciana, thank you for your review! We value your feedback and will work on improving our course conditions as we do strive to provide consistent service and course quality. We do appreciate the positive rating of our layout and views and do hope you'll choose to play again soon!

Michael4663789's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2017

"Great course, great staff, great views!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2017

It was my first time in Hawaii and I wanted to knock off a bucket list item (playing a round of golf in Hawaii) I chose this place because of its location and price, and I was not let down. The rental sets were great, we were greeted and any questions we had were answered with that island friendliness and they were very informative. There was some construction being done on the course but from what I was told and what it looked like it actually helped out with opening up the fairways. And oh man the views were amazing. If I do ever get a chance to come back I'll make sure to bring my personal set of clubs and have another relaxing round. Mahalo!

"Terrible round of golf"

kagrand's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/02/2017

Fairways and greens were terrible, greens had more weeds and bear spotts. They were unputable and inconsistent. Fairways were thin and full of weeds, couldn't tell the different between fairways and the rough. Over all conditions terrible shape and lacking maintenance. We have pictures if you would like to see them.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 03/06/2017:

Hello Keith, we are sorry to hear you found our course conditions to be so poor. We are going to escalate your feedback about the fairways and greens to our team so we can make the necessary improvements before your next round. We are glad to see you found our course layout and staff friendliness to be excellent. We do our best to provide a good experience to our golfers on and off the course. We hope you can give us a second chance to show you a good round. Thank you for playing Ko'olau Golf Club, we hope to see you on the course again soon.

"Koolau Golf Club - Amazing Views"

dbelotti's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/22/2017

Okay, The bad, the course is in the midst of a long overdue renovation, New Management is committed to make the required improvements due to previous management's years of neglect.

In light of the above, the course is not in pristine condition at the moment.

The Good, Koolau Golf Club provides many great advantages, and has the potential to be the best course on the the island of Oahu. Rates are reasonable and tee times are available, most courses on the island are booked solid and suffer from high rates and pace of play issues, even fivesomes, come on!

Convenient from Waikiki, but a manageable drive from even the North Shore, Koolau Golf Club provides a reasonable and convenient location to work on your game.

The course is challenging, and provides the most amazing views, natural beauty and wildlife; the course is worth it for the views and layout alone, but you also can bank on zipping around in less than 4 hours, so a time benefit too... great if you need to get back to the family.

I would love the chance to replay Koolau when all renovations are complete, management suggests within the next 6-9 months.

I suggest you take advantage while you can, because when the course renovations are complete, with it's amazing views and layout the price will be right where it belongs $200+ and teetimes will be difficult to get. Locals need to support the diamond in the roughe through it's renovations...

"Poor Course Conditions"

Philip4480138's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/13/2017

I've played this course many times since the late 90's. The location at the base of the Ko'olau mountain range is spectacular and the course layout is terrific carved out of the jungle. But, I've never seen it in worse condition. Looks like it has been neglected. Fairways and greens full of weeds...literally. The owner needs to spend some money to get it back in shape. What a shame.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 02/16/2017:

Good Morning, Phillip. Thank you for taking the time to review our course. We appreciate all the feedback and your concerns have not gone unheard. We are constantly trying to improve course conditions to make the playing experience better. We're glad that you enjoy the course layout and keep coming back since the 90's. We love that. We hope that the next time you come you see improvements in the conditions.