Ko'olau Golf Club

• 45-550 Kionaole Rd, Kaneohe, Oahu, Hawaii 96744, Honolulu County, USA
  • (808) 235 7737
  • www.koolaugolfclub.com

Year built: 1992
Architect(s): Dick Nugent (1992)
Type: Public
Greens: Seashore Paspalum
Fairways: Bermuda

GPS: No

Practice bunker: Yes

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover, JCB Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 3.3 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers a bucket list/top 100 pick   Challenges include forced carries narrow fairways elevation changes   Great for 19th hole scenic views drinks

"Poor Course Conditions"

Philip4480138's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/13/2017

I've played this course many times since the late 90's. The location at the base of the Ko'olau mountain range is spectacular and the course layout is terrific carved out of the jungle. But, I've never seen it in worse condition. Looks like it has been neglected. Fairways and greens full of weeds...literally. The owner needs to spend some money to get it back in shape. What a shame.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 02/16/2017:

Good Morning, Phillip. Thank you for taking the time to review our course. We appreciate all the feedback and your concerns have not gone unheard. We are constantly trying to improve course conditions to make the playing experience better. We're glad that you enjoy the course layout and keep coming back since the 90's. We love that. We hope that the next time you come you see improvements in the conditions.

"Golf course? Or rain forest adventure"

nick7712656's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/29/2017

Everything about this golf club is amazing.... except.

The Golf course condition is horrible. The issue is its in the middle of a rainforest. It would take an army to keep this course in great condition. Every part of it was wet with lots of mud. Hard to find grass on fairways to hit irons. Plugged on most shots. Each green has mud spots. Needs work.

The amount of work there doing to try to get back into shape is promising.

All other parts ok Ko'olau is great ; carts,staff,pro shop, website, gear and of course the views.

Place is like non other. Give it a chance once just for experience. Not worth the ticket price. Find a deal or will be very disappointed.

I will play again, give it a couple years to see improvements.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 02/10/2017:

Aloha Nick, we are glad to hear you were so blown away by our views and experience at the course. We strive to provide the best customer service on the island. Our team works to give everyone a top notch adventure when they come to our course. We are working on getting our playing conditions into tiptop shape and appreciate that you noticed our efforts. We will pass along your feedback to our team to work even harder so that we can provide you with a better round next time. Thanks for playing at Ko'olau Golf Club!

"Sad!"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/20/2017

My wife and I played Ko'olau Golf Course after booking our tee time via golfnow.com. It has been a few years since I last played the course and I had fond memories of it.

The staff in the pro shop was very welcoming, but apologetic. We were told the course was not in the best condition and were comped one set of rental clubs. We were told that their was a 90 degree rule on the front nine and cart path only on the back nine.

In playing the course, we found it to be in horrible condition. The fairways, greens, and tee boxes were very poorly maintained.

The only redeeming part of our Ko'olau experience was breakfast and lunch at Honey's Restaurant.

Response from Koolau Tee Times on 01/23/2017:

Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for your poor experience. We assure you this is not the standard we strive to achieve and will address it at the course. We look forward to having you back soon and making up for this experience.

"Worlds toughest course"

zahara's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/08/2017

We are Canadian and payed enough with the exchange for a course that was breathtaking in beauty but the upkeep was horrible.

In all fairness the guy at reception was up front telling us that the course was in poor condition and we had to avoid playing holes 11-17 with a replay on the front 9.

The light rough was for lack of a more knowledgeable term in Hawaiian was crab grass where you could lose the ball by being off the fairway by a few feet.

If you hit it into the rain forest it was usually unfindable but that was to be expected.

Some of the ravines were crazy, you had to carry 300 or so on a couple to be successful-that was expected also and gave us a good laugh.

The pace was great considering on Sunday we saw only 1 other group on occasion ahead of us and no one behind us.

If you wanted picture taking beauty this course was outstanding but if you wanted a quality playable course this was not it.

I would recommend it for fun and the experience but if I lived here I would not return for a replay.

Response from Koolau Tee Times on 01/10/2017:

We are sorry about the course conditions during your round. We are working with our staff to fix things accordingly. We are glad we could create a good experience for you and you enjoyed the beauty of our course!

"Gooden Koolau Review - 3 January 2017"

goodend's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/03/2017

Presently, I hold a 16 handicap index which allows me to hold my own on any course from the forward tees. I live in Tucson, AZ which has over 40 golf courses of various degrees of difficulty and aesthetic value. I have played golf all over the world, many tee times made through Golf Now, and no course has been as poorly maintained as Koolau. Everything was bad: tee boxes, rough minimum one foot tall, fairways over grown, bunkers full of water and vegetation, driving range closed, snack bar closed, five hole shut down due to over growth of vegetation. This was like being in Jurassic Park without the dinosaurs. The only forgiving thing about the entire outing was the folks at Koolau were very friendly and apologetic.

My advice - visit the course before you buy a tee time.

Duane Gooden

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Koolau Tee Times on 01/09/2017:

We are sad to hear that our course conditions were not up to par during your round. We will notify our staff and fix things accordingly! Please be sure to come visit again soon.

"Worst golf course conditions I have ever played."

kegskid's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/28/2016

Upon arriving to the course we were notified that 5 holes on back nine were closed and not playable. The real truth was that the whole course should have been closed. There was casual water and mud on every shot we hit with the exception of the 9th fairway. This is a clear example of a course taking advantage of a tourist. The worst part about this situation is that this is one of the most beautiful settings I have ever seen for a golf course. Until they fix their drainage issues, I will not play at this course.

Response from Koolau Tee Times on 01/09/2017:

We regret to hear the course conditions were not ideal for your round. We will be sure to notify our staff of the drainage issues and fix things accordingly.

"This Place is a Dump"

mendrykc's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/16/2016

You can't tell what is fairway and what is rough and what is weeds. Weeds everywhere!! I lost two balls hit down the middle of the fairway which has been taken over by infestation of weeds and wet mud. I understand they have received quite a bit of rain in the past few months and can't get mowers on a lot of the course, but management shouldn't be allowing golfers to play on these course conditions. The day I played they received little rain in the previous week. If you hit your ball in the fairway, you will have to find a tuff of grass to place your ball on to hit it as their is weeds and mud everywhere. Be careful walking down any type of slope (green side embankment) as it is slick mud. I have played hundreds if not into the thousands of courses and this is the first time I have walked off a course in the middle of a round due to course conditions. Letting people play on this will only worsen course conditions as well. Half the greens were patchy with barren spots...the other half were like playing on Shag carpet. I played out of two greenside bunkers...the sand was like cement in both. Other bunkers I passed didn't even have sand in them. It's truly too bad that this course has went downhill as it is a great layout with great views. I played this course 6 years ago and it was in totally different shape. The staff were friendly. If I owned a goat, I wouldn't let it graze at Ko'olau. Extremely disappointed.

Response from Koolau Tee Times on 01/10/2017:

"Should be closed for play"

COFireMedic's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/11/2016

This was perhaps the 2nd most disheartening golf experience in my life. Friends have raved about this course and I was really looking forward to a great experience. Instead we were met with utter disappointment. The course has not been maintained at all. The grass is completely gone from the fairways. You cant even give yourself a decent lie using lift clean and place. The local flora has taken over the fairways and many sand traps. The back tee boxes are overgrown and just part of the jungle now. The greens are simply compacted clay with some patches of what might have once been grass. I guess we were fortunate that there were flags in the cups. The course has just been flat out neglected and should not be open.

The views are spectacular. If you are in the area I would highly recommend that you take a hike through the course but just leave your clubs at home.

Response from Koolau Tee Times on 01/10/2017:

Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for your poor experience. We assure you this is not the standard we strive to achieve and will address it at the course. Look forward to having you back soon and making up for this experience.

"Disappointing"

Omniskins's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/10/2016

I have played the maybe 100 times over the last 15 years I originally played it when it was still a private club I went back to play if this year knowing the conditions were wet but in all of my years playing golf I've never seen conditions like this it's quite evident that the church owns the course now has no intention of doing any maintenance whatsoever there is no grass on the course just mowed weeds most of the Teebox is a growing over the bunkers have no sand and most of the bunkers are overgrown with three and four Ft weeds. The course is it worth five dollars let alone 125 they charge us I was so disappointed I actually threw away everyone of my shirts from this golf course in the trash you're better off paying the $25 cart fee driving around the course and pretend to play virtual golf

Response from Koolau Tee Times on 01/09/2017:

We regret to hear that our course conditions were not up to par for you during your round. We will be sure to notify our staff and fix things accordingly!

"Disgraceful"

Richard4993212's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/05/2016

This course has a three star rating on Golf Now. It ought to be removed from the Golf Now listing. It is in terrible condition. The fairways are not fairways, but rather unmown weeds. The bunkers are hard packed sand and mud. The greens are pockmarked and often are bare ground with no grass. It is absolutely disgraceful what the current owners and management have allowed this once magnificent course to become. I will not play there again unless and until there is a major renovation of the course and resources are committed to maintain it. Golf Now let me down on this one.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 11/28/2016:

Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for your poor experience. We assure you this is not the standard we strive to achieve and are continuing to work on course conditions. Look forward to having you back soon and making up for this experience.

"Currently in poor shape"

DJOntario1's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/08/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

There are two parts here. This is an extremely difficult course when its in good shape. when the can't mow due to weather its impossible.

They did say at the clubhouse and the starters(I prepaid no refunds for cancel ) the back 9 was not in great shape as it had rained real bad and they hadn't been able to mow. That was an understatement. It was difficult to find balls in the fairway (lost 2) and just off the green by even a couple yards(lost 3). In addition to the balls lost for being off line off the tee. The US Open rough has nothing on these conditions. Rough over a foot.(lost 10) I did find 5 though too... Greens were a little bare and thin but rolled OK.

Some of the carts need new tires, one of our group got a flat as the tires was worn through. Bunkers very thin, hard pan.

Current conditions I would say even the hot deal price is overpaying. $30 to $50 is all its worth at this time. I would play it again in a heartbeat once its bad to good condition. The clubhouse is real nice, the staff friendly and courteous. The scenery is great up against the mountains.

Commented on 10/10/2016

Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking to improve course conditions and take your comments very seriously. Look forward to having you back soon and making up for this experience.

"Spectacular Scenery, Horrible Golf Course"

infolab1's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/07/2016

We played Ko'olau on a beautiful sunny morning, and there was only one other group on the course (that should have told us something was amiss). The staff was very friendly and explained that the back nine was probably too wet to play, so we could play the front nine again. (More about this later.) We proceeded to the practice area walking through weeds and grass 1' - 2' high and hit balls that disappeared into weeds on the range. At this point we should have stopped and asked for a refund, but we proceeded to the first tee anyway. The course was in HORRIBLE shape. Fairways were very weedy and as deep as the first cut of rough on most other courses. The rough was choked with weeds.....impossible to find a ball out of the fairway. Greens were so-so at best. It was obvious that the course had not been mowed in a long, long time. Bridges and signage were in disrepair; tee boxes were weedy and muddy. We ended up leaving after six holes. (Now back to the wetness issue....) This course is in the rainy part of Oahu so wetness is an ongoing issue. However, it was clear that they had neither the staff or the appropriate equipment to manage and maintain the course. Simply put this is THE worst course I've ever played. The only saving grace was the scenery which was lush and tropical. Ko'olau may have been a nice course in the past, but it certainly isn't now. DO NOT waste your time or money.

Commented on 10/10/2016

"RAIN ALERT"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/03/2016

Due to constant rain since early September, the front nine was wet but playable; however the back, except for 11 and 18, was a quagmire. Workers told us they could not get their mowers from the cart paths to fairways and the rough because the equipment would slide and be inoperable and/or too dangerous to operate. Balls hit into the fairways plugged on impact, couldn't be found in the knee high grass. All greens were wet, very slow. Beautiful course,, wait until it's dry to play.

Commented on 10/19/2016

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the current course conditions and the standing water. We look forward to having you back in the near future to make up for your last experience!

"Mudy itself"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/30/2016

Course layout is very challengable. However the condition is not to say. Too mudy.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 11/21/2016:

Hi u000006275512,
Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback as it helps us locate areas in which we can improve. We are saddened to know you weren’t completely satisfied with your golf round. We have noted your comments and will work hard to make improvements. We hope to see you back again soon to give us another chance and to let us exceed your expectations!

"Communication"

edgar2220398's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/15/2016

The pro-shop failed to mention, entire back 9 was horribly flooded! It appears the way this course's back 9 sit on mountain side, it's flooded 90% of year. Very disappointed they didn't tell us that yet charged so much.

"Sloppy, sloppy and sloppy."

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/15/2016

Course was very wet and not mowed. Never seen it like this. Not draining well. Cart paths only and fairways slippery and sloppy. White and red tees same on almost every hole. Balls plugged in fairway all day. Let it dry out before returning.

"Too Wet to play"

outonthelinks's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2016

I loved this course the last time I played. Not so much this time. The views and layout are still awesome. We expected wet conditions but not marshland. The Front nine was a little wet but still in good condition but the most of the Back nine was nearly unplayable. Fairways were so soggy and overgrown it was difficult to find the ball or a spot without casual water. If you missed the green, the ball either plugged or disappeared into casual water. I would still recommend the course but would definitely make sure about conditions with the starter.

"Not to be played"

alemery's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/21/2016

Well, the only thing this course has going for it is the scenery, which is stunning to be sure. But it is in horrible shape, with ALOT of standing water/red clay mud- even in the FAIRWAYS! Deep grass everywhere, even fairways-- they can't mow them because... Did I mention-- it's too wet! We had a decent deal from a site or I would have been really mad-- but even $40 would have been too much to charge- and they want $145! We paid in the $75 range and that was just wrong. At this time of year, they are still cart path only. They really shud shut down the back 9 until they can MOW it. Even the greens were fuzzy with weeds and clover about 3/4 inch tall. Oh it also eats a lot of balls because you can't find them in the fairways... Lost in water, mud, tall grass...you name it! Don't go- you can find better here with a lot of island golf aloha. This was not it! Pro shop guys and starter were fine- no complaints. Hot dog and beer at the turn were reasonable. That's all they have going for them.

Course Layout: Poor

"Insanely difficult when in perfect condition - but too much mud for now"

chrisvan's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/05/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

My wife and I played in early Feb - and this course is every bit as tough and unforgiving as all the reviews say. You had better be long and accurate off the mens tees - there are several forced carries where you are driving through a hole in the jungle. Bring plenty of balls - even when you see the ball jump into the grass or jungle and you KNOW where it is, it's gone.
Overall, the course has the most spectacular views of the mountain range on almost every hole and it winds up and down through the jungle. Unfortunately, the course condition due to all the rain pretty much made the back nine unplayable. You hit a good drive, you're sitting in the fairway - but it's all mud underneath the dense "cow grass" and just walking to your ball is a challenge.
It would have been nice if the proshop had shared just how bad the back nine was but that's life. We recommend that you wait until April or May when this thing dries out a little. the way it was in Feb is just unplayable.

"Muddy Jungle"

mikeking24's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/28/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Some of the best vistas & views of any course I've ever played anywhere. Unfortunately the course is so muddy and the fairways littered with thick awful grass (more like rough) that it makes the course just too hard to be any fun at all. There is no where safe to hit your ball. And that's in addition to the jungle that swallows any ball that is even a bit off course. I would NOT play here again. Royal Hawaiian just down the road is the same price and 10x the golf course.