Ko'olau Golf Club

GPS: No

Practice bunker: Yes

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover, JCB Welcomed

Average Rating 3.3 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers a bucket list/top 100 pick   Challenges include forced carries narrow fairways elevation changes   Great for 19th hole scenic views drinks

"Breathtaking"

mookaman's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/30/2017

Still one of the toughest ,spectacular views.ravines not much water holes imagine if they did have them greens in great shape,fairways fair,some bunkers needs work which the course management was working on,bring at least two dozen balls you will need them.bring a camera sites are unreal.see it play it to find out a must play club.

"Jurassic Park Golf"

andrew1754972's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2017

Beautiful course! The views are worth the price alone. Bring extra liquids(and extra balls).

"Course Conditions"

Swino's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2017

I loved the layout and the beautiful scenery all around the Course . However, crabgrass is starting to take over the fairways, green and rough. They really need to get this under control quickly, or it will only be crabgrass, instead of grass.

Response from Koolau Golf Club on 05/22/2017:

Hello David, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and pace of play. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"This course will test every aspect of your game!"

Ronald8673924's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/11/2017

Staff at the course were very friendly and made us feel very welcomed!

Carlton at the pro shop when we check in was warm and welcoming! It made our day that much better and our experience in the golf course pleasant.

Will definitely come back and highly recommend.

Ron Ramos

"hawaii vacation"

bruceabelt's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2017

Course was very challenging but was playable. Greens were not real good as far as being smooth but had a lot of slope on most. They were in the process of removing a lot of the trees and brush from the areas between the holes and that detracted from the beauty of the course.

Response from Koolau Golf Club on 04/05/2017:

Aloha Bruce, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course. We are sorry about the course conditions, but we are glad you enojoyed our layout and pace of play. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon. Mahalo nui loa!

"Work in progress"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/27/2017

They're spending a great deal of money removing trees which will open up the course nicely. That said, they should first invest in the greens. I can forgive poor tee boxes and even pretty iffy fairways but to have greens that are pathetic at best is not acceptable. There wasn't a true roll the entire 18 holes among our foursome anything outside 4 feet. The staff was kind and accommodating. The layout was very challenging and when they get the greens figure it out it will be a must play.

Response from Koolau Golf Club on 03/29/2017:

Hi Kent, thank you for the review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our course's layout and that our staff was friendly. We do however regret to hear that the course conditions were not up to par. This is not the experience we want for our golfers and will definitely pass this note along. Thank you for playing and we hope to see you again!

Commented on 03/29/2017

Aloha and thank you for your feedback! We are doing massive renovations to restore the course as you observed. The jungle encroached on the course so badly that we were on the verge of losing the greens due to lack of sunlight and airflow. The 1st step to restoring the greens was to clear the surrounding trees. Since the removal of the trees, the greens that were nearly lost have recovered about 90% and we expect full recovery soon. Thank you again and please let me know if you are back this way to see us when the restoration is completed.

"Jungle Views"

Michael2588587's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/23/2017

Negatives: terrible conditions, uneven tee boxes, fairway bare spots with some weird looking jungle grass that was painful to hit out of, and the greens were the worst I'd ever seen on any course.

Positive: absolutely stunning views as u look up at the mountain above, you can see the clouds touching the mountain and that is beautiful. Pace of play was quick and I really enjoyed the challenge of this course. Staff were pleasant.

My home course has a slope rating of 136 and I believe this course is a 156. That translates into a number of uneven lies and just a tough course. Unless you are an advanced golfer or one who understands target golf, then you will probably lose a number of balls. Some of the fairways are so narrow that the bounce after the carry can send your ball into the jungle. Also, there are a few holes that require a pretty long carry to clear ravines. In other words, this is not a beginner's course.

I would recommend you try this course because how often do you get to drive a golf cart around a jungle?

Response from Koolau Golf Club on 04/05/2017:

Hi Marciana, thank you for your review! We value your feedback and will work on improving our course conditions as we do strive to provide consistent service and course quality. We do appreciate the positive rating of our layout and views and do hope you'll choose to play again soon!

Michael4663789's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2017

"Great course, great staff, great views!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2017

It was my first time in Hawaii and I wanted to knock off a bucket list item (playing a round of golf in Hawaii) I chose this place because of its location and price, and I was not let down. The rental sets were great, we were greeted and any questions we had were answered with that island friendliness and they were very informative. There was some construction being done on the course but from what I was told and what it looked like it actually helped out with opening up the fairways. And oh man the views were amazing. If I do ever get a chance to come back I'll make sure to bring my personal set of clubs and have another relaxing round. Mahalo!

"Terrible round of golf"

kagrand's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/02/2017

Fairways and greens were terrible, greens had more weeds and bear spotts. They were unputable and inconsistent. Fairways were thin and full of weeds, couldn't tell the different between fairways and the rough. Over all conditions terrible shape and lacking maintenance. We have pictures if you would like to see them.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 03/06/2017:

Hello Keith, we are sorry to hear you found our course conditions to be so poor. We are going to escalate your feedback about the fairways and greens to our team so we can make the necessary improvements before your next round. We are glad to see you found our course layout and staff friendliness to be excellent. We do our best to provide a good experience to our golfers on and off the course. We hope you can give us a second chance to show you a good round. Thank you for playing Ko'olau Golf Club, we hope to see you on the course again soon.

"Koolau Golf Club - Amazing Views"

dbelotti's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/22/2017

Okay, The bad, the course is in the midst of a long overdue renovation, New Management is committed to make the required improvements due to previous management's years of neglect.

In light of the above, the course is not in pristine condition at the moment.

The Good, Koolau Golf Club provides many great advantages, and has the potential to be the best course on the the island of Oahu. Rates are reasonable and tee times are available, most courses on the island are booked solid and suffer from high rates and pace of play issues, even fivesomes, come on!

Convenient from Waikiki, but a manageable drive from even the North Shore, Koolau Golf Club provides a reasonable and convenient location to work on your game.

The course is challenging, and provides the most amazing views, natural beauty and wildlife; the course is worth it for the views and layout alone, but you also can bank on zipping around in less than 4 hours, so a time benefit too... great if you need to get back to the family.

I would love the chance to replay Koolau when all renovations are complete, management suggests within the next 6-9 months.

I suggest you take advantage while you can, because when the course renovations are complete, with it's amazing views and layout the price will be right where it belongs $200+ and teetimes will be difficult to get. Locals need to support the diamond in the roughe through it's renovations...

"Poor Course Conditions"

Philip4480138's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/13/2017

I've played this course many times since the late 90's. The location at the base of the Ko'olau mountain range is spectacular and the course layout is terrific carved out of the jungle. But, I've never seen it in worse condition. Looks like it has been neglected. Fairways and greens full of weeds...literally. The owner needs to spend some money to get it back in shape. What a shame.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 02/16/2017:

Good Morning, Phillip. Thank you for taking the time to review our course. We appreciate all the feedback and your concerns have not gone unheard. We are constantly trying to improve course conditions to make the playing experience better. We're glad that you enjoy the course layout and keep coming back since the 90's. We love that. We hope that the next time you come you see improvements in the conditions.

"Golf course? Or rain forest adventure"

nick7712656's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/29/2017

Everything about this golf club is amazing.... except.

The Golf course condition is horrible. The issue is its in the middle of a rainforest. It would take an army to keep this course in great condition. Every part of it was wet with lots of mud. Hard to find grass on fairways to hit irons. Plugged on most shots. Each green has mud spots. Needs work.

The amount of work there doing to try to get back into shape is promising.

All other parts ok Ko'olau is great ; carts,staff,pro shop, website, gear and of course the views.

Place is like non other. Give it a chance once just for experience. Not worth the ticket price. Find a deal or will be very disappointed.

I will play again, give it a couple years to see improvements.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 02/10/2017:

Aloha Nick, we are glad to hear you were so blown away by our views and experience at the course. We strive to provide the best customer service on the island. Our team works to give everyone a top notch adventure when they come to our course. We are working on getting our playing conditions into tiptop shape and appreciate that you noticed our efforts. We will pass along your feedback to our team to work even harder so that we can provide you with a better round next time. Thanks for playing at Ko'olau Golf Club!

"Sad!"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/20/2017

My wife and I played Ko'olau Golf Course after booking our tee time via golfnow.com. It has been a few years since I last played the course and I had fond memories of it.

The staff in the pro shop was very welcoming, but apologetic. We were told the course was not in the best condition and were comped one set of rental clubs. We were told that their was a 90 degree rule on the front nine and cart path only on the back nine.

In playing the course, we found it to be in horrible condition. The fairways, greens, and tee boxes were very poorly maintained.

The only redeeming part of our Ko'olau experience was breakfast and lunch at Honey's Restaurant.

Response from Koolau Tee Times on 01/23/2017:

Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for your poor experience. We assure you this is not the standard we strive to achieve and will address it at the course. We look forward to having you back soon and making up for this experience.

"Disappointing"

jbrandenburg1000's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/18/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

I grew up in Hawaii, and played this golf course back in the day, when the course was in great shape, and very playable. I moved to Arizona, and recently went home for a visit, and the course is in dismal condition. all of the imported grasses have succumbed to the local broad leaf crab grass, there is little left of the greens, many of them having large areas of just rolled dirt, the sand traps are non-existent, most are full of weeds, the course is ill managed, it has been purchased by a church group, so my guess would be that the course 'operates' as a stipulation of the land use, the building is clearly being used primarily for church functions. Koolau, its neighbor, Royal Hawaiian, and the Links at Kuilima, where my 3 favorite courses, needless to say, Koolau, is in such disarray, that I will never return, the course has been let go beyond any real repair that would take less than millions of dollars. very unfortunate, because the layout is a great challenge when the course was playable, now it is just tee shots that plug, and tee boxes that are uneven, and long approach shots into greens that are not puttable. If you want to play golf on the windward side, go to Royal Hawaiian, or for 35 bucks play pali municipal, right next store to koolau, its a great value

Response from Koolau Golf Club on 04/06/2017:

Aloha Jeff, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course. We are sorry for the course conditions but we are glad you enjoyed our layout and pace of play. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"Worlds toughest course"

zahara's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/08/2017

We are Canadian and payed enough with the exchange for a course that was breathtaking in beauty but the upkeep was horrible.

In all fairness the guy at reception was up front telling us that the course was in poor condition and we had to avoid playing holes 11-17 with a replay on the front 9.

The light rough was for lack of a more knowledgeable term in Hawaiian was crab grass where you could lose the ball by being off the fairway by a few feet.

If you hit it into the rain forest it was usually unfindable but that was to be expected.

Some of the ravines were crazy, you had to carry 300 or so on a couple to be successful-that was expected also and gave us a good laugh.

The pace was great considering on Sunday we saw only 1 other group on occasion ahead of us and no one behind us.

If you wanted picture taking beauty this course was outstanding but if you wanted a quality playable course this was not it.

I would recommend it for fun and the experience but if I lived here I would not return for a replay.

Response from Koolau Tee Times on 01/10/2017:

We are sorry about the course conditions during your round. We are working with our staff to fix things accordingly. We are glad we could create a good experience for you and you enjoyed the beauty of our course!

"Gooden Koolau Review - 3 January 2017"

goodend's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/03/2017

Presently, I hold a 16 handicap index which allows me to hold my own on any course from the forward tees. I live in Tucson, AZ which has over 40 golf courses of various degrees of difficulty and aesthetic value. I have played golf all over the world, many tee times made through Golf Now, and no course has been as poorly maintained as Koolau. Everything was bad: tee boxes, rough minimum one foot tall, fairways over grown, bunkers full of water and vegetation, driving range closed, snack bar closed, five hole shut down due to over growth of vegetation. This was like being in Jurassic Park without the dinosaurs. The only forgiving thing about the entire outing was the folks at Koolau were very friendly and apologetic.

My advice - visit the course before you buy a tee time.

Duane Gooden

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Koolau Tee Times on 01/09/2017:

We are sad to hear that our course conditions were not up to par during your round. We will notify our staff and fix things accordingly! Please be sure to come visit again soon.

"Worst golf course conditions I have ever played."

kegskid's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/28/2016

Upon arriving to the course we were notified that 5 holes on back nine were closed and not playable. The real truth was that the whole course should have been closed. There was casual water and mud on every shot we hit with the exception of the 9th fairway. This is a clear example of a course taking advantage of a tourist. The worst part about this situation is that this is one of the most beautiful settings I have ever seen for a golf course. Until they fix their drainage issues, I will not play at this course.

Response from Koolau Tee Times on 01/09/2017:

We regret to hear the course conditions were not ideal for your round. We will be sure to notify our staff of the drainage issues and fix things accordingly.

"This Place is a Dump"

mendrykc's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/16/2016

You can't tell what is fairway and what is rough and what is weeds. Weeds everywhere!! I lost two balls hit down the middle of the fairway which has been taken over by infestation of weeds and wet mud. I understand they have received quite a bit of rain in the past few months and can't get mowers on a lot of the course, but management shouldn't be allowing golfers to play on these course conditions. The day I played they received little rain in the previous week. If you hit your ball in the fairway, you will have to find a tuff of grass to place your ball on to hit it as their is weeds and mud everywhere. Be careful walking down any type of slope (green side embankment) as it is slick mud. I have played hundreds if not into the thousands of courses and this is the first time I have walked off a course in the middle of a round due to course conditions. Letting people play on this will only worsen course conditions as well. Half the greens were patchy with barren spots...the other half were like playing on Shag carpet. I played out of two greenside bunkers...the sand was like cement in both. Other bunkers I passed didn't even have sand in them. It's truly too bad that this course has went downhill as it is a great layout with great views. I played this course 6 years ago and it was in totally different shape. The staff were friendly. If I owned a goat, I wouldn't let it graze at Ko'olau. Extremely disappointed.

Response from Koolau Tee Times on 01/10/2017:

"Should be closed for play"

COFireMedic's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/11/2016

This was perhaps the 2nd most disheartening golf experience in my life. Friends have raved about this course and I was really looking forward to a great experience. Instead we were met with utter disappointment. The course has not been maintained at all. The grass is completely gone from the fairways. You cant even give yourself a decent lie using lift clean and place. The local flora has taken over the fairways and many sand traps. The back tee boxes are overgrown and just part of the jungle now. The greens are simply compacted clay with some patches of what might have once been grass. I guess we were fortunate that there were flags in the cups. The course has just been flat out neglected and should not be open.

The views are spectacular. If you are in the area I would highly recommend that you take a hike through the course but just leave your clubs at home.

Response from Koolau Tee Times on 01/10/2017:

Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for your poor experience. We assure you this is not the standard we strive to achieve and will address it at the course. Look forward to having you back soon and making up for this experience.