Poipu Bay Golf Course

Caddies: No
GPS: Yes

Practice bunker: Yes

Walking allowed: No
Dress code: Proper golf attire must be worn at all times
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

msorchy1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2017

"Excellent course"

BChichimo's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/25/2016

My father and I played this course while on vacation. There happened to be 40-50mph winds that day but we were going to play no matter the weather as we'll probably never get back to Hawaii, and we're very glad we did. There had been tons of rain in the week leading up to us playing and even a downpour as we were arriving but the course was in outstanding shape. The greens were absolutely immaculate. Three of the last four holes are unreal, right along the ocean for that stretch. If you're going to golf while in Hawaii that's what you hope for. The staff was also very friendly and accommodating. We got a nice little swag bag with a towel, ball mark and repair tool as they were celebrating 25 years. I'd recommend this course to anyone looking to play on kauai.

"No Restaurant !"

Didowest's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I've played here for years but found on this trip they've decided to close the kitchen and sell out of a refrigerator. No breakfast, no lunch, nothing but ready made sandwiches from the refrigerated display case. No mixed drinks, just canned beer when you finish your round. No Beverage cart either, they cut that out as well I guess to save money. Feels like they removed part of the courses "soul". It's a bit isolated so there aren't other choices. Too bad, now it feels like an upscale muni. People were absolutely great !

"Quality golf."

msmithcsrs's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/11/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Very well maintained from the smooth, nearly blemish-free fairways to true rolling greens and top-notch practice facilities, this course is well worth your time and money. The course is a fairly forgiving resort course with wide fairways, non-punitive rough, some spectacular views, attractive design and appealing landscaping. When we played, the greens were recovering from aeration, but were very smooth and consistent--just a little slow. I would anticipate in a few weeks that they would be mowed shorter and rolled firmer to give them a little more speed and challenge. I would like to try the course again with those green conditions. All of the staff was friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this course to low and high handicaps.

"Nice but dated..."

GBennett4142's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/25/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

after hearing all the hype I was somewhat disappointed. Course charges a premium for fees, but really isn't the same as some of the other "top-tier courses." Definitely fits in the "resort" category. Fairways are wide, and well maintained. Course is NOT one to eat a dozen balls. Greens are smooth and relatively fast, but not so fast as to not be fun. If you are expecting a layout that is entirely on the coast look elsewhere. Only the final few holes really front the ocean. The staff are very friendly, not the least bit pretentious. Carts come with GPS. One caution-though they bill it as a "restaurant" all they really have is a snack bar. And like so many places on the island, no draft beer. Overall a nice day, nice experience, but not something I would put on my "bucket list."

"PGA quality"

richfonda's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/24/2013

This course hosted the Grand Slam of Golf for several years, and it is a lot of fun to walk the same fairways as Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Vijay Singh, Greg Norman, Jim Furyk, Mike Weir, and others. It's even more fun to go into the locker room and see their plaques. The course itself is not long, but most holes require some tactical thought to score well. Course maintenance is wonderful. The staff is overly friendly, and the golf shop is probably the best-stocked golf shop I have been in.

"Ride the wind at Poipu Bay on Kauai"

JasonDeeganGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2013
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Although the heydays as host of the PGA Grand Slam of Golf are gone, Poipu Bay Golf Course is still pretty darn good.<br/> It's a bit nostalgic walking through the clubhouse looking at all the old photos of Tiger Woods, who won the exhibition seven times, and Phil Mickelson, who shot a 59 on the final day to win in 2004.<br/> Poipu Bay, next to the excellent Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa, hosted the four major winners in a two-day shootout for a good run from 1994-2006.<br/> The course isn't quite as dramatic as it looked on TV during those aerial views. Holes 15-17 run along a 150-foot sea cliff, but the ocean isn't always visible. The best views seem to come when looking backward off of tees and greens.<br/> A greens renovation added seashore paspalum in 2011, ensuring good conditions year round. In 2013, Golfweek ranked Poipu Bay ninth among the top golf courses in Hawaii.<br/> The site is one of the windiest in Hawaii, so come prepared with a knock-down shot.

"Golf experience was well worth iit beautiful layout"

Simpsonskcm's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/11/2013

Course was all any one needs great greens plush fairways well maintained facility. Very friendly staff.

"Course for Champions"

yasusasu's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 5/10/2013

This course was immaculate. Fairways were perfect, bunkers were playing nicely, and the greens were rolling smooth and perfect. I had the privilege of playing this course on a day with little wind when the trade-winds usually average 20 mph, so the scoring conditions were fantastic and the weather was beautiful. The course had the right mix of challenging holes that required all the shots with a balance of holes that were straightforward, allowing for a fun day. One of the best courses I've ever played, would definitely play this again.

"Poipu: Cost effective?"

marcqkan's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 5/4/2013

This course's staff is super friendly and helpful, and the greens are in wonderful shape, however the course falls short of its former glory, and charges Princeville prices for near-Puakea golf.

"Great Experience!"

ednuts's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 5/2/2013

Looking forward to playing this wonderful course again.

"Perfect greens!"

Toddclilley's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2013

Awesome golf course, I got a great deal on the golfnow website .The views are incredible here! The course was in pristine condition. One of the best courses on all of the Hawaiian islands!!!!!!!!

"One of a kind play on Kauai"

BrandonTuckerGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2013
Previously played Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

On the sunny (windy) south shore, Poipu is an entirely different experience from the rest of the Kauai golf courses, despite being designed by RTJ Jr. (like the Princeville courses). The closing stretch of holes, which is usually downwind, makes for one of the most fun on the island. The entire experience, including the practice facilities and gorgeous clubhouse, might be tops on the island.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"A truly wonderful course"

charlesbristow's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 4/01/2013

We were very fortunate to get a very good rate online which allowed to be able to afford to play here. The pro shop staff were very friendly as was one of the "cart guys" although the older man was quite surly for soem reason. However, Marty, at the practice range was a gem.......super friendly and accomodating and concered to get first aid for a cut on my finger. It is guys like Marty who make a course great. We set off as a twosome and played the best course we have ever played.....the greens were fast and true and the fairways in great shape. The cart girl came around regualrly and was friendly. The mix of challenging holes was excellent and I could see that this course sets up well for every level of player. We played off the whites but the score card did not seem to match the yardages on some holes which was odd......<br/> In using this feedback tool I was unabale to select anything betwen the middle and the end of each slider bar which made my selections rather inaccurate.<br/> Overall.......a fanastic experience and we hope to come back one day

"Great views, course played well due to pristine condition!"

markwalter's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 3/21/2013

My wife and I played this course in late March. The course was in great condition which helped the course play easier for us. The round played fast due to tee times being spaced out fairly far apart. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We had a great time. The last four or five holes are right along the ocean. We had a hard time focusing on teeing off due to the whale activity off the shore. The course is a little spendy, however if you get a twilight rate like we did, it makes the course a better bang for your buck!

"Overall experience was wonderful!"

retirement2006's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 2/23/2013

The quality of the greens was superior, but very fast! The course layout is very intersting and fun. The scenery especially the back nine is awesome! The entire staff at the course was very efficient, friendly and helpful and they made me feel very welcome. All golfers should expeirnce this great course.

"Nice veiws at some places"

pzurbrugg's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/14/2013

Poipu is a pretty forgiving golf course from the white tees. greens are tricky to read. The full cost of 180.00 per round would not be of very good value,most Hawaii courses expensive. 120.00 or so seems more reasonable. fairways fairly wide with good grass coverage. can be very windy increasing the difficulty some what.

"Good Course with Great Ocean Views"

jkemper's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 2/10/2013

Very good course with great layout. Back nine takes you through some ocean cliffs while still maintaining great golf layout. Staff was nice. Only downside is that the normal rate is so high that it isn't worth it. I ended up paying $89 on GolfNow on a hot deal and to me that's about all it's worth. Looking at the course conditions I can't imagine their operating expenses are so much that need to charge $190 per player for a regular round.

"Typical Resort Course"

bskubish's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/09/2013

Kauai's Poipu Bay Resort course is right next to the airport which is pretty cool if you like to see huge jets landing right next to your fairway, which also means it is on the ocean so there is a TON of wind. It is also right next to the Grand Hyatt luxury resort. My golf now tee time was a hot deal and the pro shop guy let me know by how rude he was to my wife and I. I probably saved around $70 bucks. The pro shop guy Kirk who checked me in was very dismissive and verified I wasn't staying at the hotel and he let me know that I couldn't touch the driving range until 30 minutes before my tee time because we were so early (a little over 1 hour early). By the way, they only charge you for a rider if you book through golf now apparently, if you book through the hotel or pay normal rate the rider is free (it is published that they do not charge for a rider) so that was not a fun $25.00 add on. We had to burn some time so we ate at the grille next to the pro shop. After the $20.00 burger that took literally 45 minutes to get in a to go box we ran to the cart, then to the driving range and it was an OK experience from there on. The course has a beautiful layout, I recommend playing it from the tips, you get to see the entire course and it is very difficult with the wind. The grass was not in as good of shape as the other courses on the island, some sand on the greens and quite a few dead spots, not pristine like the Prince course at all. Also, the bunkers are all waste style bunkers with no sand in them, very difficult to play out of, especially if you are in a deep one right next to the green. The friendliness from the bag guys was fine, and you get a free bag tag with your name on it. Other than the pro shop guy who was clearly a typical entitled rude pro shop manager working at a former tour venue, the course was a typical Kauai course where even with the hot deal I think it was a little overpriced. The only thing memorable will be the poor treatment. I expect more for $120.00 for 18. I highly doubt I will go back next time I am in Kauai. Every once in a while I book a hot deal at a course and get treated like this by a pro shop. Be prepared for it, especially if you go to one of these courses. They obviously don't like it.

"Layout is great and well maintained."

popoff's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 2/09/2013

Friendly staff from the bagmen,cashier,and starter.

Course is well laid out, great shape, and back nine has a great stretch of holes a long the ocean front.