Wailea Golf Club - Old Blue Course

GPS: Yes

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Proper golf attire must be worn at all times
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2017

"AULUSA"

aulusa's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/10/2017

Played after 2:00PM for $115 in 3 1/2 hours. Much rather play Old Blue than either course in Kanapali. Wide fairways in great shape. Layout is fair enough test for avg player. My wife almost broke a hundred from the gold tees. The greens are pretty quick and have a lot of subtle breaks that are hard to pick up if you only get to play the course 1-2 times each year. Great value for a very good golf course!

"Excellent course. We will be back."

kspink's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/17/2017

My wife and I stayed in Kaanapali and played the Kaanapali Kai golf course twice (great course but slow pace of play). We had heard good things about golf in Wailea and decided to head south for the afternoon to play 9 holes at the Wailea Blue course. We were extremely impressed with the staff, course conditions, layout, and pace of play. The pro-shop staff was extremely friendly and personable, the course was beautiful, and even though we teed off at 3:30 we were able to play 9 holes in under 2 hours. It was only the two of us and there were very few people on the course. Definitely worth the drive from Kaanapali. We will be back to play a full 18 holes next time.

"Most affordable in Wailea"

Eladio7413320's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/03/2017

Of all the courses in Wailea, this is the most affordable. It has beautiful ocean views on several holes. Water comes into play on a few holes.Terrain varies and there are a few blind shots. Course is in great shape and the greens are true. It's not the most challenging course in the area, but is certainly fine for most golfers.

"Over Priced and Under Served"

tyuschak's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/11/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The course was in reasonable condition. Carts were held to "cart path only" but was not informed of this at check-in. They turned off the cart path restriction after I made the turn but only after inquiring about the restriction.. Said it shouldn't have been on. All carts are suppose to be controlled by software from the clubhouse preventing carts from leaving the cart paths when restriction is in place. Seems cart path restriction is selective because the group in front of me were driving all over the course and had no restrictions. Or they knew how to over-ride the system. Each time I ventured off the cart path my cart would shut down. They were not apologetic and basically told me to live with it, nothing they could do.

Carts were not as clean as I would have expected them to be for an upscale golf resort. Cobwebs and dirt in the cubbies.

"Nice Course - Great Views"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2016

Fairways were a bit dry and brown but very playable. Greens were quick and challenging. Would definitely play here again

"Nice course"

Bammail's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Only one complaint, the course would not honor my Hawaii Resident card. I was visiting Maui from my home in Hawaii. All my ID and C/C say I live in Hawaii, but this course would not give me an islander rate. However they did make some other accommodation that cost me $20 more than it should have. Kahili GC did accept my Hawaiian resident card.

"Blue Course, My Course"

GottaGolfHawaii's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/15/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I consider Blue Course my home course. However, it does have its drawbacks. No driving range. A newly constructed practice green which is getting better every week. Great views for our visitors. A challenging course and can creep up on you as it plays longer than expected. It can get windy during afternoon rounds so, book early morning to mid-morning rounds to beat the wind! The staff is much better than in years past. Green fees are not too bad even for booking in-season rounds.

"Disappointed"

kennydavis's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2014

Fairways were ok but greens were very patchy it looked like a camouflage pattern. Played a Prime time Tee time but they had hoses and sprinklers on the Fairways I had to run under and save my ball a couple times and kick it out. Bunkers are absolutely horrible is basically gravel I think it's ground up lava rock no exaggeration. Cart girl seemed very uninterested in being there. Didn't even take her headphones out at first. Will never good here again. On top of that few ocean views.

"Balanced Course"

hidekino's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 4/27/2014

This course is very balanced between cost and condition. I've played about 4 times, and I've never complained.<br/> I may be play again soon.

"Would play again"

boblinderman's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/25/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

The course was very windy (20-25 mph) the day we played which affected ball flight. Difficult to compensate for grain on the greens so several three putts. Course is wide (resort course) and fairways are forgiving. Scenic ocean views from almost every hole.

"No rain check"

u000002252063's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/23/2014

Course has a no rain check policy. Make sure of you weather prior to playing. Course is in good condition and we were able to play in 3 1/2 hours. Fairways are relatively wide and forgiving. Greens were in decent shape.

"Still a classic"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/06/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Our group enjoyed this course in spite of its difficulty relative to our skill. My usual three to the green sometimes was four on the elevated greens. Beautiful holes the whole way!

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"over priced"

unclepaul45's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/11/2014

The course compared to others is a bit over priced. It's has a challenge and the green side bunkers are like throwing darts. I' m a 20 handicap so this course with its side hill lies made each shot different....... I enjoyed play.

"my favorite of the Wailea courses"

cstewybear's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/01/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

I think this is the best of the 3 Wailea courses. Its the least scenic of the three but I have never been impressed by the Emerald or Gold courses - other than some exceptional views.

Old Blue is definitely the locals course and for good reason. The track is reasonably difficult, its in great shape, and there is a refreshing variety of shots to hit. Bermuda greens always take me 2-3 rounds to get used to the "grain break" - but once you get used to it, there are some good scores to put up on the Old Blue.

The fairways are very generous and there is almost always a safe side to every fairway. Most of your approach shots involve factoring in the wind or some elevation change - frequently its both. Most of the opening holes play into the prevailing trade winds but you get payback with some downwind, reachable par 5's on the back.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

Commented on 08/02/2017

thanks for the info :)

"emphasis on old"

Kapalua2013's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/14/2014

We just played old blue 1-2014.<br/> I had read many reviews online and it looked like good value for a good course.<br/> the reality was a bit different.<br/> the experience was lacking right from the start.<br/> no staff to greet us.<br/> uninterested staff throughout.<br/> very sad practice facilities, essentially a few ratty, with a few ratty balls into nets.<br/> the setting of course is great in wailea.<br/> overall the cost was high for a course like this.<br/> if your going book the gold, very nice, or emerald, top notch.<br/> look on golfnow.com for reduced fee's and enjoy those courses.<br/> if you dare go to kapalua and really enjoy your time on maui.

"Always nice to come back"

Andrea5658814's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/24/2013
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

We always love to play the Old Blue Course when we come to Maui. Now construction is finished around the course and we can enjoy the view. Staff is very friendly and the course was in good condition.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"maui tour 2013"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/21/2013
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Played 4 courses this course was excellent. Staff is very friendly and customer service is of upmost importance. Top the day off by staying for dinner and enjoying sunset at truly authentic irish pub .

"Low price alternative to Gold and Emerald Courses"

None's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/4/2013

I've played all of the Wailea courses, and there was a drop off between this course and the Emerald and Gold courses. I think there are better values on Maui.

"Good course but not sure if its worth the full fee"

Caleb6081205's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/30/2013

I normally wouldn't pay over $130 a round but had a GolfNow Reward for a free Hot Deal round. We teed off 15 min. after the booked time because there was a tournament on course that hadn't finished its course. Because it was a tee time at almost 1pm during winter daylight hours I was a little concerned that we'd finish. Fortunately, we did finish with 20 min to spare. The course and greens were in very good condition. The greens were fast and rolling pretty true. Pro shop staff and course staff were courteous. The clubhouse was really showing its age. Overall, it was a good experience, but not sure if I would play it again.