Course #4 Dubsdread at Cog Hill Golf and Country Club

Caddies: Yes
GPS: Yes

Dress code: Collared shirts are preferred, Slacks or shorts are preferred, No tank tops or halter tops. No gym shorts or running shorts
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Discover Welcomed

Blue (W) 72 6750 yards 80.2 150
Green (W) 72 6033 yards 76.1 141
Forward (W) 72 5441 yards 72.8 135
Forward 71 5441 yards 67.5 124

Great for a bucket list/top 100 pick advanced golfers   Challenges include bunkers thick rough plays long

"Coop"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/01/2017

The staff could not be better the course always in great shape, the last redo turned out to be a nightmare for the average player as they were trying to get the U.S. Open. They are redoing bunkers to make it much friendlier for the average player and they do all the

re-dos very fast. No tricks here just straight golf. You will use every club in the bag from any tee you choose which are many and also combination tees for whatever yardage you would want to play. Plenty of places to stay in the area

"Ready for Sand Bunkers"

TheoV's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2017

Dubsdread is the course that hosted the Western Open for years that became the BMW Championship. For $155, one can play a course that the PGA Tour played. Course conditions: awesome tee boxes, fairways and greens were excellent, green speeds were quick but not too fast, bunkers are in the middle of getting a re-do. Green complexes are very difficult, large, many pin placements, ridges, over 150 bunkers. I played from a combo set of tees of 6,500 yards and was very thrilled to shoot an 81 with bogeys on each of the par 5s (ouch). I can drive the ball about 240 to 260 and I would be comfortable going to blue tees at 6,700+ yards and have fun. There are two more sets of tees further back at 7,100+ and 7400+ yards if you want to constantly test all your long irons and fairway woods. The difficulty is most greens are fronted by bunkers or are elevated or border deep runoff areas or water. One needs to carry the ball to the green on most holes. The rough is thick and tree lines come into play realistically on holes 3, 4, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 17. There is a snack shack on the front nine after hole 6 but then there is no snack shack or beverage cart the rest of the way (Disappointing for $155). This was my first time I played the course and was impressed by the course.

"Course in great shape."

Vicwen45's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2017

Course in great shape greens, fairways and bunkers were raked and in great shape. Stay out of the bunkers the sand is soft. We golfed the course in 4 hours.

"A true test of golf"

sorenj's avatar
Idaho Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2017

There are some courses I play (or consider playing) where I’m just not sure if I can add any value writing about them. Cog Hill (#4, Dubsdread) is just such a course. While most courses on my trip many people, even in the golf community, haven’t heard of… pretty much everyone who might read this review also knows about Dubsdread. Nevertheless, I’m going to do it anyway (the writing that is, not as sure about the value adding part).

I’ve seen #4 on a few “toughest courses” lists and there also is the fact that it gets it’s moniker from the notion that this is a place that average golfers should fear to tread. However, as I began playing the course what I did not was notice an impossible track eager to gobble up half of the balls in my bag; by contrast, I realized that while Cog can be trying, it’s not really a day ruining kind of tough.

In fact, one of the things I really liked about Cog was that it didn’t seem to want to penalize you as a means of keeping your score from being too low. It just wanted to… how to say… vet you; and be sure you were deserving of the score you obtained. I found this very refreshing.

Pool players say 8-ball is a shooters game, while straight pool is a pool players game. In this sense I think a course like #4 is a golfers track rather than a shot makers. There is nothing symbolic or even akin to target golf at Cog Hill. While I’ve spent my life loving courses that highlight my strong mid to short iron game; if you want to know how good, and complete, a golfer you really are, Dubsdread is a great place to find out.

My favorite hole was probably the par 5 11th, which happens to be the #2 handicap on the course (despite me having a far more difficult time with #18 which is the 16 handicap). I felt it had its hazards in great places to keep play honest while still being a hole that could be attacked. Three strong mid irons could get you close, if not on the green, while avoiding the well placed traps. In other words, avoiding the temptation to hit a longer club made the hole easier to play.

My whole day at Cog was an exercise in course management and restraint (it’s the first course in a long time that I really cared about the outcome from a score standpoint), and the 11th was no different. I took a shorter club (5 iron) off the tee with the idea of leaving myself short of the bunkers, and then took a mid-range iron (6) into a wide landing area short of the second set of hazards. This left me with a very reasonable 7 iron into the green (which I *may* have pulled into the rough on the left resulting in a bogey).

This was an example of how I thought the course sets up in general. It can be managed, by a bogey golfer, to play bogey golf. That is until #18… which, because of the way it is set up, is hard to simply manage your way around. By and large though, I think if you played Cog Hill 20 times, you would actually have a true handicap; which I don’t believe is the case for many other courses.

The course itself was in immaculate condition. From the precisely cut tee boxes, to the manicured fairways and perfectly prepped greens, there was not a blade of grass that didn’t seem ready to be golfed upon. I thought the design was exemplary as well. I, as have many before me, assumed the PGA players play the tips and was curious how I would do from back there. However, I was assured by staff that they play the gold tees and that there is nothing but distance to miss by not playing the back. From my perspective, if the golds are good enough for the pros, they’re good enough for me as well.

The staff at Cog Hill was great and (who knew?) they’ll wash your car while you play (being first out, we didn’t know about this until we were done, so missed out). Overall the Dubsdread experience was everything I wanted it to be and I not only recommend you play it if you have the chance, I think you owe it to yourself to play Gog, or another course like it, just to see where you golf game really stacks up.

"Long and good luck with up and downs"

EthanZimman's avatar
Virginia Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/23/2016

The former host of the BMW Championship went overboard with renovations to challenge TOUR-caliber players. Most notably, greenside bunkers are almost impossibly deep for the speed and shape of the greens. If you find yourself in any bunker you are basically dead in making less than a bogey. Fairway bunkers are such that lips are so high you need to hit long irons as high as short irons and the aforementioned greenside bunkers are equally scary.

Overall, the course is long with a nice routing. And certainly earns the moniker of one of the best public courses around Chicago. Just know that the greens are fast and accuracy is a must.

"Just do it!"

toothysaw2's avatar
Texas Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/11/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

I've been looking forward to playing this course for years. I visit Chicago frequently, but usually in February... not exactly golf season. Finally I was there and the weather was great so I went out to try Dubsdread.

Fantastic.

It's a super tough course, with heavy rough, ample bunkers, elevated greens, and LONG. This day in particular the wind was strong (and seemingly always into me) and the course was damp and not rolling out at all. Lots of long iron approach shots.

Older, parkland style courses are my favorite. I like that you get trees, but also enough space to not constantly lose balls. I wouldn't say it's an easy walk, but the holes generally run near each other so walking is definitely an option.

18 is about as tough a closing hole as I can think of. Over 430 and was straight into the wind. I needed 3wood on my 2nd, but the landing area gets very narrow. Didn't end well for me, but what a course.

I would absolutely recommend this course. It's probably in my top 5 of all time. Just a beautiful course and a real challenge that isn't gimmicky or unfair. What are you waiting for?

"Bad Experience"

Joseph1953601's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/08/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Golfed here on 10/08/16 paid 135 dollars to play Dubs. I enjoy spending a little extra to play courses like this about once a month. This was my first experience and Cog Hill and it will also be my last. Upon pulling in and getting my clubs out of the car there was no one at the bag drop, so i walked my clubs into the club house and had to place them on the golf cart myself. While in the clubhouse not only was I told it was cart path only but they had also just aerated the greens the week before (which i was not told about when i booked the tee time over the phone). Then we go to the driving range to hit range balls and it was more mud than grass. I am not sure if they are replanting or what but it was not in good shape. So i paid full price to play a course that you literally couldn't putt on because it was so bumpy from aeration, we had to play auto 2 putt becasue trying to make a 3 footer was even impossible. As for the course it was very wet which is a little understandable because we have had a lot of rain the last few weeks. However, I played Seven Bridges the day before and it was no where near was wet as Cog. I think Seven Bridges or Ruffled Feathers is just as nice for less than half the price. If you want to play just because they had tournaments there over 5 years ago please save your money.

"Charming old-school track"

BrandonWebb's avatar
Birmingham Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2016

It seems like players either love or hate their experience at Dubs. I rather enjoyed my turn on this historic track. I did not encounter some of the negatives others have reported. An attendant met me with a cart in the parking lot. I found the driving range to be more than serviceable. And the starter got me out early as a single. This was my first Chicagoland golf experience, so I have nothing to compare it to. But, there is a feeling you get when you step onto an old-school track. The first thing you notice is that this is a first-shot golf course. You must be in proper positions off tee, and finding the fairway is an absolute must, particularly on Nos. 9 and 10, where you must drive it through a narrow tunnel of overhanging mature trees. The other thing that quickly reveals itself is that this course has no mercy on poor bunker players. Not only were they plentiful, but they are deep. Fingers of greens allow for some pretty tough pin placements. And you can find yourself in green side bunkers that requires you to hit it into a proverbial bucket. Otherwise, you can hit from one bunker into another, as I did on 9 and 10. Practice some high, short bunker shots before playing here. Also, the quality and consistency of the bunkers was excellent. I thought the finishing stretch was fantastic. From No. 13 in, the holes are varying, highly unique and increasingly difficult. The par-3 14th is as tough as they come, and if you avoid any of the sand guarding the green, consider it a victory. The par-5 15th is short and highly reachable in two, before the quirky 16th and memorable 18th. The days of this course hosting big-time tournaments may have passed, but the history and maturity of Dubs makes it special and warrants a place on the top 100 public lists.

"Hoped for more"

dooder's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/15/2016

Clubhouse staff not very friendly. Clubhouse Staff and Starter failed to mention hole # 2 was closed. Starter however was super friendly with lots of local tips. So overall that was really frustrating. Driving range and putting green locations not very convenient. The course itself (the other 17 holes) were in great shape, greens were beautiful and was very challenging. Really enjoyed the course would probably go back but wish Cog would run this place like the premium for the area that they charge. Didn't feel valued.

"Not worth it for the money"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2016

This course should be priced at $100, no more. The value is just not there and there are many more courses around CHI that are better. Cog is hanging onto the fact that a tournament USED to be played on Dubs.

"Great Experience"

TonyPredator's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/15/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Absolutely an amazing course; not sure why people are at all critical of it. Sure, $155 is a lot for a round of golf, but the price is designed to weed out some golfers. If the course got too much play, it wouldn't be in the world class shape that it is. The conditions are wonderful. No ball marks, few divots on the tee boxes or fairway. Wonderful shape.

Bunkers are everywhere on the course, which makes up for the lack of water hazards. They're very firm - at first I hated them. However, after spending more time in them, I began to love them. Though you can't explode the ball out of there, they're extremely consistent and makes hitting over a five foot bunker wall relatively easy.

Also not sure why people say its not scenic; if you love and appreciate golf, you won't be short of great views. The elevated tee boxes and design of sand traps give nearly every box a beautiful sight.

Pace of play is also wonderful - there are many rangers out pushing groups along. I played as a two-some one Sunday morning and didn't have to wait at all.

Not too sure either why the pros complained of sand traps and greens. The traps make up for the lack of water and the greens are not as difficult as people claim. I really hope the PGA brings a tournament back to this course - it truly is deserving of one.

"Great Thrill on the Hill"

Jason8100082's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/19/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Great Course including an easy access driving range; once you pick up your cart you can head over the the range to hit a warm up bucket (very Reasonably price); head back to check in with starter. I was impressed with the starter as he call the roll call for the 3PM hour Tee times: I would like to note many times I have been to courses where parties don't respect the order and bully their way on to the tee box irregardless of actual tee time(here is where cog separates from rest). The starter calls my name informed the gentlemen already on the tee to step off the box and make way for my party; b/c there tee was 30 mins away; (one had already had ball teed up). Great experience will def book through Golfnow again.

"Extremely Disappointed"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I am writing this review in the hopes that it makes its way to Nick Mokelke, David Impastato, Chris Flick, and the Jemsek family.

I had the opportunity to play Cog Hill #4 this past Sunday, September 20th and was incredibly disappointed.

I grew up attending the Western Open, watching it on TV, and even volunteered as a standard bearer a few years. Playing Dubsdread with my father, who took me to the tournament all of those years was always on my bucket list. We were excited to pin seek on the downhill 12th and the 13th below “Pork Chop Hill” and then cut the corner on 16 to make birdie. Last Sunday was an experience far from what was expected.

We paid $155.00 expecting to play a PGA Tour quality round of golf, instead we played a long hard municipal course that was in terrible condition. Throughout our entire round not one bunker had been raked. Every bunker was filled with standing water, a soupy mess, or full of ravines from rain the night before. The course did not meet the expectations of a country club experience that the “Patriarch of Public Golf”, Joe Jemsek aspired to achieve, nor that of being ranked 53 on the 100 greatest Public Golf Courses.

The attached pictures were taken on the 18th green around 1:30 after we teed off at 7:50am. How did these go untouched at a course of this caliber?

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"Sooo Overrated"

riskone's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

This course is extremely over-rated. The course layout is nothing special. It was disappointing for the standing price of $155. There were no special holes and everything seemed long and straight with a lot of bunkers. If you really enjoy bunkers and no real uniqueness in a course, then this is for you. If you want a nice layout with good scenery, this is not it.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Cog Hill Country Club (No. 4 - Dubsdread)"

btweed1683's avatar
Chicago Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/20/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

The Good: Cog Hill's flagship course is the King of Chicago public golf. This Joe Lee/Dick Wilson track recently redesigned by Rees Jones is mostly devoid of water, but is difficult due to its surprising elevation changes, demonic sand traps and challenging green complexes. The Par 4's are the stand out with great variety in doglegs, visual appeal, and length. The Par 3's are spellbinding with all requiring downhill long iron shots. Wonderful course conditions with perfect fairways and impeccable hazard areas. Excellent greens that hold and putt true. Very good practice facilities include superb driving range, large putting green and short game area. Great staff will ensure you have a "pro-style" experience. Nice clubhouse with full bar and restaurant. Course has several halfway houses with restrooms.

The Bad: Despite the great course conditions and layout, "Dubs" is still overpriced at over $150. Lack of GPS is a knock against on-course amenities. Check-in service can improve for quality of course. Par 5's are fairly forgettable.

The Verdict: Dubsdread is still the Alpha Dog in public access Midwestern golf despite gripes about Rees Jones redesign. It is a bucket list experience and a joy to play not just once, but as much as you can.

Best Hole(s): The closing hole is great, but the picturesque downhill Par 3 #6 doesn't get talked about enough. Nestled in a theater of huge trees, the hole is picture perfect.

"Better like the sand"

dahlryan's avatar
Chicago-Milwaukee Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2014

A friend and i were lucky enough to play this very nice course. The course is long the bunkers are everywhere and the rough is thick. The staff was very nice and friendly. The reason for a 4 for course condition was because they had a closed hole but no directions to an alternate. Greens ran super fast. Hopefully get to see this course on tv again sometime soon.

"Phenomenal"

cocoabuddy's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/16/2014
Previously played Played as a single Used cart Good weather

This course is a phenomenal value If you plan it out correctly. At 4 pm, the rate is $100 including cart and range balls.

The bunkering here is incredible. The rough is hellish, and the greens are pure and quick.

Not many water hazards, but the sheer length of the course,the well-placed bunkers, and unforgiving pin locations make this course a must for someone looking for a challenge.

Beware, if you plan on playing from the gold tees (7100 yards). Or the black tees (7800 yards) know that you can smoke a 290 yard drive in the middle of the fairway and still have 190 yards in to an elevated green on a par 4.

The back tees are not for the faint of heart

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Cog Hill #4 - Dubsdread"

jmalinee's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/10/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

When I found out I had a trip to Chicago in my future, I knew I had to visit Cog Hill; I certainly was not disappointed with that decision.<br/> It was in great condition - the tee boxes and fairways were well manicured, the rough was thick and lush, the greens were slick and rolled well. The bunkers here are deadly. I wore my sand wedge out. I encountered lots of odd stances and terrible lies when in and around the bunkers.<br/> At $155 for 18 holes with cart and range balls, this was easily the most I'd ever paid for a round, but it was well worth it to play an incredible course with rich history. I would love to take another crack at Dubsdread!

"Yes, it's hard, but I didn't dread it"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2014

My first impression of No. 4 at Coghill was that I wasn't sure what all the negative fuss was about regarding Reese Jones' redo. It's a beautiful layout with difficult greens to be sure, but there's ample room in the fairways and opportunities to hit shots if you're on your game. After all, it's all in the name -- dubbers dread playing it because it's hard. And that's what the Jemsek Family wanted. But after playing the course and recalling all the bunkers I was in and how easy it was to find them, I have to agree with Mickelson, a little: There are two many bunkers around the greens. You miss a green, and there's an 80 percent chance you're in one and short-sighted at that. A little relief -- perhaps a few less bunkers around greens -- and I would absolutely love this course. As is, I'd like to play it again, just not every day.

"Waste of money"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/19/2014
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

For the course I shot a 67. I believe the price is so high just because the PGA used to play there. Theres a reason the PGA pulled out and was explained to me by a employee there. Mostly because of the sand traps. For 155 dollars with cart and range balls, its a waste. I play TPC Deere Run for 99 dollars same deal. 18 holes, cart and range balls and its a MUCH nicer course and maintained better. Dubsdread was not very challenging and I wouldnt waste the money again. I can spent the extra 50 to drive to TPC Deere Run in Silvis,IL and have the time of my life.

Quality of food & beverage: Poor