Bandon Dunes

• 57744 Round Lake Rd., Bandon, Oregon 97411, Coos County
  • www.bandondunesgolf.com

Year built: 1999
Architect(s): David McLay Kidd (1999)
Type: Resort

Orange 72 5072 yards 66.6 126
Orange (W) 72 5072 yards 72.4 128
Royal Blue 72 3945 yards 61.5 101
Royal Blue (W) 72 3945 yards 64.9 109

Location is at a resort worth the drive   Great for a bucket list/top 100 pick walkers wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include elevation changes undulating greens bunkers   Great for drinks dinner brunch

"Ultimate Golf Experience But Bring Carry Bags"

Keithevans's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/18/2017

Superb golf experience

One complaint: the Resort never told us we had to bring carry bags with stands.

I took our 2 cart bags and emptied them out so they were light. As soon as we got there, they brought out their own carry bags. So at each course we had to empty out our bag into their bag and reverse the process at round's end. Golf balls, gloves, tees, etc, outerwear, wallet, phone, ,etc. Forgot my sunglasses for round one. Very annoying and starter and staff agreed we should have been told on website and when we called and booked.I had 2 carry bags at home we could have used!

That aside, the golf was superb, as were the caddies and staff.

We played Bandon and Pacific. I preferred Bandon ;definitely more playable, less tiricked up and less hilly (but both courses are hilly). I thought Bandon more resembled a Scottish llinks, as epitomized by the Old Course.

Pacific is more visually spectacular and each hole looks different. But there are giant, deep bunkers everywhere you look, frequently in the middle of fairways. I had a couple of my best tee shots dribble into them and then you are 6 feet deep and can only explode out. Like Scotland on steroids

In sum, it's definitely a bucket list type of experience for all lovers of the game.

"The OG"

EthanZimman's avatar
Virginia Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2017
First time playing Walked Perfect weather

So many words have been written and read about Bandon Dunes that it's hard to pile on. However, everything you've read is true. There's no resort like it in the world let alone the USA. The original course by DMK might be the best on the property and is the perfect introduction to the ideals of the resort.

Highly recommend this being the first course you play if it's your first trip. Sets the stage for the others perfectly. Inland holes, coastal holes, beautiful par 3s, short par 4s, et al.

"Bandon Dunes Resort"

Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2017

I finally got to Bandon. My husband had been telling me it's mystical and magical. And it is. The question is whether Bandon Dunes is the best course of 4 18-hole layouts. You have to play the original and if you get a late afternoon tee time and see 16 around sunset...it makes it even though you'll battle the winds. Don't forget to check for the irrigation box underneath the tree near 10 tee. Open it up, sign the book, leave a memento and take a slug of whiskey. Little traditions like this make Bandon Dunes as a resort unbeatable for the golf purist. If you can play each course twice plus Punchbowl plus par - 3 preserve you will have an animated conversations among guests and caddies about their favorite course. I'm going with the original.

"An original classic"

JasonDeeganGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2017
First time playing Walked Cold weather

It's hard for me to say publicly that this is my third favorite course at the resort, because it's just so darn good.

It's the most fair of the three linksy courses (except for the bunker on the par-3 15th hole) and arguably the most fun. There's great variety and character in the holes and on the site itself. Several of the fairways look like moonscapes with endless humps and bumps. The wall of six bunkers in the eighth fairway is a cruel but amusing trick. The coastal holes (4-6 and 16) all have unique characteristics that make them memorable.

It's a course I could play every day and never tire of its challenges.

"Simply incredible"

GolfFan33's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/12/2017

There is just something so special about this place. We had a group of 8 come in, and played it in January when it is a bit of a roll of the dice on weather. The trade off is the rates are incredible, and we ended up with sun, 50 degree weather, and an incredible rate!

The golf is just superb. You feel like you are across the pond all in the comforts of home. From start to finish it can't be beat. Also, the caddies are phenomenal and know exactly how to treat high and low handicap golfers.

If you haven't been, you have to go.

"Worth every effort to play!"

kristnjohn's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/01/2016
First time playing Walked Wet weather

WOW! When first planning this trip and the logistics of getting there from Kentucky, I remember thinking how much of a challenge it was going to be in order to get to Bandon, OR - and ever since playing for the first time, I would hitchhike across the country just to get back for one more hole! Bandon was our first 18 of the trip and we arrived in a light mist/rain. The service was 1st class, welcomed us to the resort, got us all checked in and ready to play. We ended up buying rain gear based on the forecast for the day, and the pro-shops had all we needed and were actually very reasonably priced. From the 1st hole, our caddies were fantastic, and they got better from there (as a matter of fact, to be fair to our caddies we only ended up playing 9 holes this day). About the 3rd hole, the mist turned into a monsoon with 40mph winds and heavy rain blowing sideways. The rain was blowing so hard that we couldn't see the Pacific Ocean on Hole 5 (hole 5 is ON the Pacific Ocean)! The caddies were real troopers, never said a word about calling it quits and were actually enlightened at the fact that we were almost enjoying the experience of golfing in the Pacific Northwest in November in a monsoon. The caddies mentioned it was a top 5 rainstorm ever that they have been out in, but the course was holding up surprisingly good and was still playable through hole 9 (when we went in). The course is very tough but fair, rewarding your taken risks. Beautiful tract of land, every hole is an adventure and is one that you will forever cherish in your memory. Lots of Bald Eagles and Deer all around you, everyone is very welcoming. A once-in-a-lifetime experience that every golfer needs to experience twice in their lives! The resort is fantastic as well, with several lodging options, good places to eat, well-stocked pro-shops, excellent practice facility, easy transportation around the resort, and a very, very awesome running/hiking/walking trail system! I found Bandon Dunes the most playable of the courses (we did not play the Preserve), while Pacific was the most awe-inspiring for sure. You also don't want to miss the Punchbowl (a crazy large putting green!), we stayed out until after dark and the poor waitress continued to run drinks back and forth to us for as long as we wanted to stay out (she was great!).

"First visit"

RyanLavnerGC's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Recently, a colleague and I made a three-day stop at Bandon. It was my first visit to one of America's golf meccas, and it did not disappoint. Our first full round was at the original course, Bandon Dunes. As you might expect, the holes on the water are absolutely breathtaking. The fourth hole is one I'll remember forever. It's a short par 4, and as you walk down the fairway for your second shot, you turn the corner to look toward the green and -- wham! -- there's the Pacific Ocean. We played from very manageable tees (it was about 6,200 yards) and had a great time. The weather was perfect for both of our rounds here -- 65 and sunny, with light winds -- so it wasn't an overwhelming challenge, but in the summer, when the winds are fierce, it would be all you can handle.

"Always and forever the original..."

JayCoffinGC's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

Got in the afternoon before and played the 13-hole Preserve course, and was ready to go early in the morning. This would be my third time playing the course but I was with a Bandon rookie and eager to see his reactions.

I'll continue to say, Pacific Dunes is my favorite course there but Bandon Dunes is the one I'd play if I had to play one every day. It's so fun, so beautiful and so playable. Players of all skill levels will enjoy it.

I hadn't been back in almost three years and had a hard time remembering all the holes for some reason. Old age. When I got there, it all quickly came flooding back. I remembered everything about it.

"Golf as it was meant to be" for sure.

"This is "Golf as it was Meant to Be""

JeffArenson's avatar
Denver Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/30/2015
Previously played Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

First of all the resort is the best one stop golf experience on earth. Not even St. Andrews has as many high quality courses in one resort setting. There are multiple restaurants with quality food and in the case of McKee's pub quantity too. Add in the par 3 courses and the Punchbowl and you will never want to leave. For a single public resort, this is the place dreams are make of. If you've never been here, then this should be your next golf trip. If you've been here, you're probably working on when you can come back.<br/> Secondly, this is a throw back to Links golf as played in the UK. Wind, walking and the ground game are here at all courses. If you are here for multiple days, odds are that it will rain. Embrace those things as that is what golf looks like at it's home. It is all about the golf here and it doesn't get better.

The first course itself is a great one. Ironically, it is the only one that has the "Standard" of two par 3s and two par 5s on each nine. It is the only one with two nine hole loops which return to the clubhouse.<br/> This might be the one with the best views. Some holes play along the clifftops, but many tee boxes on the inland holes are on top of a ridge which provide views of the course and ocean. Bring your camera.<br/> The course itself is a treat. Most people will remember the cliff top 16th which is driveable in the summer. So many ways to play this hole, you will have to come back a half dozen times to try them. As with all links, the ground game and contours come into play. Shot options abound around the greens and I think you need to put the 60 degree away and bump and run or putt it. Bunkers are large and natural looking-they are also a challenge to get out of. One of the great things about this course is that some of the best holes are inland. I like the par 4 7th with the uphill approach or find yourself at the bottom of a hill. Drive to the correct part of the fairway or the green is semi-blind on the par 4 14th. Take advantage of the slope on the 2nd hole and aim left, the contours feed the ball right. The short 10th hole is also driveable, but if you take the direct approach there is a hill in front of the green. Taking the safe route which is left of the green opens up the green. Of course, in addition to the par 4 16th, the cliff top 5th and 6th holes are visually stunning and great holes.<br/> This was the course that made me fall in love with links golf. Low running shots are the best option. Hitting the correct side of the fairway is a must. Using your putter from virtually anywhere and being creative with the green contouring is also required. If you don't like golf here, then save yourself some money and avoid Scotland and the UK in general, you won't like it there either.

"Hard to beat the original"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/10/2015
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Poor weather

This is where it all started at Bandon Dunes Resort, and it's still a classic. Not as flashy as Pacific Dunes, but a great and rare test of links golf in America. One you get to the middle of the front nine, the views come into play and the holes just continue to get better from there. A real classic.

"Amazing views, Bucket List Course, Not Too Challenging"

mr79golf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/09/2015
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

After all the hype, we finally made it to Bandon Dunes, and were not disappointed. The flagship course is a blast to play and offers some really spectacular views. We played it (twice) in light wind so it didn't have the teeth I'm sure it has when the wind blows. The first time you get a peek at the Pacific is memorable, as you meet the bend in the fairway at 4. From there, you will have a lot of picture worthy moments. Back 9 is a lot of fun and more of a chance to score than the front. The potentially drivable 16th is a special golf hole. Obviously, all the courses at Bandon are must plays in my book, but this and Pacific stand above.

"Wind"

Lgary2906's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/19/2015
First time playing Played as a single Walked Played 18 holes Poor weather

The course itself was not that difficult but wind blowing the ball off greens and nearly knocking you over as you played made playing golf nearly impossible. The course should have been closed with winds gusting to near 50 mph with a constant force of 35 mph.

Commented on 01/29/2017

Giving a course 2 stars because of a windy day is silly. It's all part of the experience here.

"Bandon Dunes, The Original and the Best"

mscheelar's avatar
Oregon Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2015
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Sunday I had the great pleasure of finally playing the original course at Bandon Dunes Resort. After a short 4 hour drive from Portland we played in the afternoon. It was a stunning and borderline ridiculous day at Bandon. There was a little bit of wind, but overall the day was perfect.

The course itself was a ton of fun. Starting on 1 near the clubhouse felt drastically different than some of the ocean courses. There are so many unique inland holes, and then a handful of stunning ocean holes. The entire round felt fluid and fun, and very tricky at times with wind gusts near the ocean.

I felt like there was something so ancient about this course, it felt like it really had been there for a million years. At this point, I put Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes right up there as my two favorites on property.

I love this place and cannot wait to go back!

"Enjoy the Eccentricities"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/03/2014
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

For a couple of years we watched this course take shape from the neighbouring Pacific Dunes. It looked flat and on an inferior piece of land and we wondered how it could match up with the other Bandon courses. But when it opened; what a wonderful surprise! Old Mac from beginning to end makes you think and experiment with all kinds of interesting shots.

The first tee sits in the middle of what feels like a wide open field and you look across the flat expanse at a wide open(albeit a bit elevated) green not too far away. You can literally hit almost any club off the tee in almost any direction . BUT....how far you hit it and where you hit it will determine how you must hit your approach to what you now see is a HUGE and very undulating green with infinite pin placements.

Every hole is a bit like that. But it really isn't that flat and boring. There are some gorgeous holes which rise up into the dunes. There are a few blind holes which I know many people hate but which our group always enjoys.

This course may have some of the toughest par 4s on the Bandon property but you get a lot of roll and it doesn't play that long overall.

I've played all of the Bandon courses many times now and currently this might be my favourite; though that keeps changing. They are ALL great.

"Bandon Dunes"

jpgreen3uga's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/15/2014
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

I've made the trip out to Bandon twice. This was my second trip. This time around, I thought Bandon was the best of four courses. Although, all four are tremendous. The best thing about the whole Bandon experience is they are all about golf and golfers. There isn't anything you don't need or anything that is overdone like you would see at Pebble Beach. In fact, I'd strongly suggest a trip to Bandon over Pebble. Bandon is cheaper and better!

"Bandon Dunes finishes fourth"

rnorthcutt88's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/27/2014
Previously played Walked Good weather

Ranking the courses at Bandon and necessarily picking which is the "worst" is a little like arguing who is the ugliest supermodel. There are no losers on this property.

But having that ...discussion ... with your buddies is part of the fun.

For me, the clear fourth place finisher (have not played the par three course but heard it is sublime) is Bandon Dunes. While it may have my favorite hole on the property in the 5th, as a group it lacks the excitement of the other tracks here. Let me be clear, the LAND is spectacular but in too many spots the golf course is not. Holes 9 and 18 are ordinary and tough to bestow greatness on a course with a pedestrian finish ( although Cypress Point is an exception ). In all, holes 1, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 18 feel like you have played them before at any number of courses. Holes 4, 5, 6, 12, 15 -17 are breathtaking due in large part to the scenery but also the quality and visual interest of the golf hole. The other holes fall somewhere in between. You don't want to skip it and the resort as a whole is well worth the trouble to get there. Best in the country for my money. But if I had 7 rounds, I'd play the others again before Bandon Dunes.

"Bandon Beckons!"

golfhack321's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2014
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

If you've never visited Bandon Dunes then you haven't experienced true links golf. Bandon is like Scotland except the staff members have better teeth and the food is better.

"Not quite what I expected"

acadia's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/23/2013
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

I have to admit that I was a little disappointed on my first visit here. Other than a couple of the holes, I wasn't as impressed as I expected to be. The facility itself is first class all the way and we will be going back to play the other courses, but probably not the Dunes.<br/> The one hole that is a definite exception is number 16. That is one of the coolest golf holes that I've ever seen. I could play that hole 18 times in a row and call it a great day of golf.<br/> Caddies are available and the one we had in our foursome was borderline useless. Was glad that I wasn't paying him. I've talked to others who had much better experiences though. So, if you chose to use the service just keep your fingers crossed.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"The original course at Bandon never disappoints"

JayCoffinGC's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/25/2013
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Fair weather

Such a long trip from the East Coast but it's worth every single second.

The original course at Bandon never disappoints. Pacific Dunes is my favorite course on property, but Bandon is the one that I'd play every day if I could only play one.

I'll say the same thing I said about Pacific Dunes - I played here 10 years ago and thought I didn't remember much. But when I stepped on the first tee I immediately remembered every single hole as if I had played it a week prior.

"Dream Course"

Kyle4442229's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2013
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

The golf course is incredibly, simply walking down #4 fairway and all of a sudden the ocean opens up is very picturesque. Definitely one of the best holes I have ever played. Holes #4 and #16 I could play every day.