Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club - Ghost Creek Course

• 12930 NW Old Pumpkin Ridge Rd, North Plains, Oregon 97133, Washington County
  • (503) 647-2002
  • www.pumpkinridge.com

Year built: 1992
Architect(s): Bob Cupp (1992)
Type: Public
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Bent Grass

Dress code: Proper golf attire required. Golfers must wear a shirt with a collar (mock collars are ok). No denim or jean material.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Blue Plus 71 6599 yards 73.2 141
White Plus 71 6132 yards 71.0 136
Red Plus (W) 71 5409 yards 72.3 134
Red Plus 71 5409 yards 67.4 133

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city   Great for a weekend splurge advanced golfers entertaining clients   Challenges include bunkers thick rough water hazards   Great for drinks brunch patio dining

"Club house discriminates against golfnow"

yomo45's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2017

Been wanting to play this course for nearly 20 years ...Course is in great shape but not to exciting....I have played 52/100 top golf digest public courses....Not sure how this one in in the group.....did enjoy the round....Now the problem...The lady in charge behind the counter was very cold and she had us wait to our 8:30 teetime despite no one was teeing off after the 8am group...yes we watched the tee box and yes someone may have no showed ...not the first time I have experienced this type of treatment by other clubs in dealing with golfnow ....We cought the 8am group on the 4th fairway and they insisted on us playing thru in the middle of the par 5.....never will understand why such club personnel would use golfnow and then treat us like this .....I assume creating potential slow play by dragging out starts give them some type of mismanagement control.....Love the course- don't make us retirees come out of retirement to fix such ignorant behavior...sorry...

"Pumpkin Ridge Ghost Course 3 July 2017"

wwargo's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2017

Worth playing once , but value for the money just not there. Had higher expectations for a course that cost $101 per player, (w/ GN discount) and has hosted major professional events.

"Fantastic experience"

Kudebisa's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/28/2017

File this under “great customer service.” I got my reservation date mixed-up and arrived at the course after driving 40 miles only to realize I was there a day early. The gentleman on the other side of the counter could sense my embarrassment and couldn’t have been more accommodating. He got me on the course despite my mistake. And I’m certainly glad he did. The course was in wonderful condition. The greens were pure and the fairways were immaculate. Too bad my game wasn’t up to the high standards of the course but I had a tremendous afternoon just the same.

"Not worth the price tag"

Adam7383135's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2017

For being a course that charges nearly 100 bucks a round, I expected more. Not much in the pro shop although the staff was very friendly. The course itself was not that great. Fairways cut vey short and filled with sand. I imagine its helps keep the course dryer, but when my ball hits the fairway, I shouldn't see sand flying up. Greens were decent, very fast. But the worst part was the rough areas. Grass was about 5 inches long and thick. Spent 5 minutes every time my ball was in the rough looking for it. Walked past it several times. If you hit the rough next to the green, good luck. Land your ball on the green with your chip, rolls off the other side, land it in the rough, which is about a foot off the green and it stops dead in its tracks. I've played much cheaper courses that are about 60 dollars a round cheaper.

"Great Day at Ghost Creek!"

montyturner's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/24/2017
First time playing Walked Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

Our great round started with a golf greeting by the pro shop employee, Sebastian. He just sets you up for a great round.

It was our first time at Ghost Creek and he suggested walking--perfect. To really appreciate the setting and the course layout, Ghost needs to be walked.

Greens rolled perfectly, rough was just that and we had a grand time at Ghost. We will be back.

mwallans's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/23/2017

"No carts on course, just cart path."

garypapp8844's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/21/2017

Still spongy from rain, no carts on course, just cart path. Too much walking and lost balls in tall rough

"Very poor condition"

jamie1putt's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/21/2017

I just dont get the hype. For the last 2-3 years the city run public courses seem to be in better condition. The layout is famous and the greens are ok but I dont think I have ever seen it in condition that makes it worth what they charge for it. Its too bad.

"Unplayable"

Michael5519513's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/18/2017

Please take into consideration that this review is being written not in total fairness to the golf course as they certainly cannot control the unbelievable amount of rainfall they had this past winter. Having played Pumpkin Ridge (Ghost Creek) in the past and absolutely loving it, I'm somewhat reluctant to even write this negative review. However, since the pro shop staff failed to warn me about the conditions, I am hoping that my review may help some readers. The course, in my opinion, is almost unplayable due the amount of water it has received. The front 9 was almost swamp like. Many tee shots in the fairway were constantly imbedded completely. The only way you could find the ball was if you were directly over it as no amount of ball was even showing above ground. We lost 5 balls that were definitely in the fairway on 3 holes (between the 3 of us). If you were off the fairway even slightly on many holes, your ball was lost as the sogginess was completely unforgiving. The back 9 conditions were much better than the front. I assume the back 9 simply drains better. Several fairways were top dressed with dirt/sand (I assume to soak up water and heal the grass) throughout the course so obviously you weren't even really hitting off "grass" unless you moved your ball several feet. My biggest complaint was that the staff never warned me about the conditions even though I inquired 3 days prior about the course conditions. Their response was "this has been a very wet winter but our greens are perfect". Their greens were indeed perfect but getting to them was extremely challenging.

"Very poor course conditions"

marcblom's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/04/2017
Previously played Walked Hot weather

Ghost Creek is usually a great course to play, having an interesting layout and some challenging and scenic holes. Unfortunately course conditions are strongly impacted by the weather in the Pacific Northwest. The course doesn't handle rain very well and quickly becomes extremely wet and (therefore) soft. Today the course was absolutely unplayable - zero roll, balls plugged deep in the fairways and very high rough (a missed fairway meant a lost ball). Carts obviously weren't allowed but even walking the course was a challenge. On the positive side the greens were very fast (stimp 12). Due to the course conditions I quit after 9 holes, something I've never done before, and got a rain check. I wouldn't recommend to play Ghost Creek until course conditions have improved (I'm actually surprised the course is open for play and charging full rates...).

"Highly underrated, but highly saturated"

BrandonWebb's avatar
Birmingham Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2017
First time playing Used cart Wet weather

Okay, so I have to separate this review into two parts: First, the positive. This is such an underrated layout! To be rated merely in the 50s in the Top 100 public lists is a miscalculation in my opinion. For scenic and shot value, this track is more than solid. After playing it, there is no doubt why so many coveted prestigious tournaments have been contested here. I loved the variety of trees found here. So different from what I am used to encountering in Alabama. The final three holes of this course are sooooo good. Short par-3 16th, short par-4 17th that requires precision on initial two shots, and nervy par-4 finisher. I loved how the course's namesake, Ghost Creek wove itself throughout the course. It really added a pivotal dimension on many holes. The greens were very good - not too slow, not too fast - and rolled extremely good. They were the kind of greens you could be aggressive on. Bunkers were solid, albeit wet. The hot dog in the clubhouse grill is as good as I have ever had anywhere. It is a must try. Staff was super-friendly on a soggy day. Now for the critical part: Oregon has experienced an extremely tough winter and spring. The course has taken on so much rain that they haven't been able to get mowers on the rough, leaving it U.S. Open-like. I am not exaggerating. If you miss the fairway you better be watching intently on where it generally lands, or you won't find your ball without walking on it. Likewise, the fairways are under water and you cannot find a lie that does not employ casual water. If you don't pick the ball, this can make for a long day. The course is borderline unplayable given the conditions. My biggest concern is someone getting hurt. More than a handful of times I lost my footing walking to and from tee boxes and from the cart path to the fairway, and had to catch myself. Someone could seriously tear a knee up. That being said, I had a wonderful experience, and would love to play this course when it is dried out. Bottom line: this is an underrated big-time championship layout that desperately needs favorable forecasts and the warming temps of summer.

"Way over-priced for course condition"

sedieghkhodaverdi's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2017
Previously played Walked Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

This must easily be the worse condition that I've ever played in a reputable course. The driveways were not mowed and almost like rough conditions. The rough edges were 6-8 inches tall grass in a muddy and wed ground. The greens were heavily sanded and yet they charged us $80.

It was almost not fun to play! I will not play this course in spring and winter every.

"Fun experience"

uoalum1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2016

We played on a drizzley day. The group in front of us was a little slow.(4+ hours with no one in front of them) Greens were in amazing shape. So fast and challenging. It was a little expensive ($99) for this time of year and a weekday. Staff was very friendly. They had a drink cart on a slow day, which was great. It is a very pretty course and we'll taken care of. If it weren't so far away I would consider the ghost pass.

"Nice"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2016

Pleasant course away from the busy bustle of the city some extra long par 4 holes and some very short par 4s.

Trick shots required

"Amazing Course"

Somatha1935856's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/24/2016

What an amazing course! Fairways and Greens in pristine condition. Hidden in the woods, loved the views and its surrounding. Great course design and layout. It's fairly tough course, had a great time. Definitely I'll come back next time in town.

"Nothing special"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2016

Played here on a Saturday afternoon at 2:20. They let a large shotgun event out at 1:30 so pace for my round ended up over 5 hours which was less than desirable. For the price, it is not that great. There are courses in the Portland metro area that are much cheaper that are as good if not better conditioned. Found it very odd that a course Marshall chased me down during my round to tell me NOT to drive my cart in the rough and to keep it on the fairway... The rough looked pretty stressed so I guess this makes sense although it's contrary to what I've always known.

Restaurant was understaffed and seemed overwhelmed. I arrived early to sit at the bar and have a beer and food beforehand but was disappointed to see no bar and lacking options for food.

Overall, not bad. Just not that great either.

"Good value if it's hot deal"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/30/2016

The course layout is great, some holes are challenging.. The greens are inconsistent. Lacks rest room amenities in the course. It's great value since it was on hot deal in golf now. Is this course worth full price, I don't think so unless they make the greens faster and consistent

"Nice Experience"

dkronser's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

I had a good time playing Ghost Creek yesterday. The course was in good shape and the greens rolled nicely. It's a bit overpriced, but a bargain with a Hot Deal.

"Fantastic Day on Vacation"

cpouley's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/20/2016

Came up with family on vacation and decided to get in a round. Had an awesome time. Lots of elevation change which I like. Some blind tee shots, which I don't lol. The clubhouse was fantastic and the food for lunch was incredible. I had the 10.50 Cobb salad. It was huge and very tasty. All in all it was a fun day on one of the best courses I've ever played. Just wish our vacation was longer. We even saw a doe and her fawn in one of the bunkers on 17.

"Amazing Value"

gray8508's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2016

First time playing Pumpkin Ridge- Ghost Hollow. Vacationing in Portland and this was the must play for the Portland area. Course was in fantastic condition, greens quick(11ish) but very smooth. Played on the 4th of July, round was a little slow but not anything unexpected for a holiday.

Practice facilities were good, clubhouse had average amenities but friendly staff. Highly recommend if you're in the area.