Tradition Golf Club at Stonehouse

Type: Semi-Private
Greens: Bent

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Green (W) 71 5013 yards 69.1 121

Great for advanced golfers   Challenges include undulating greens elevation changes

NickCrane's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/26/2017

1flip2's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/25/2017

I have played this course when it was terrific but that is no longer the case. All of the greens need major repair. Their site states they have four temporary greens but all are horrible. None of the greens or even the cart paths had been cleaned in what appeared to be a long long time. Do not waste your money on what you think is a bargain, you can't even by a soda at the club house.

Goldenboys's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/24/2017

"Stonehouse in the Poor House"

davachev's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/05/2017

Played this course for the first time and came away from it feeling...sad I guess. The course is not being maintained whatsoever: 1.they lost their greens this year, so brutal shape. 2. fairways and ruff are overgrown 3. most disturbingly, there are huge holes in the middle of the fairways, 3 feet in diameter, 5 feet deep some of them, around the drainage system. Unbelievable. Its a real shame as you can see this was a premium course when it first opened. Very interesting layout, but a couple of the holes were maybe a little excessive in difficulty; one par 4 in particular on the back where after your uphill drive, you have to make a 200 yard laser shot down into a very narrow ravine. But we pretty much had the course to ourselves, so pace of play was great. The clubhouse is beautiful, but since nobody was playing, the restaurant was closed, and it was a Sunday. The owner owns two other courses in the area, so looks like he's maybe spread a little thin, or is putting his money in the other 2 and using this one as a tax writeoff. It would be nice if somebody with lotsa money bought the place and restored it to its former glory. Despite the brutal shape, I did actually like the course, and for $25, I would play it again; but would not pay the regular $89 for the shape its in.

uQDPH6426QD's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/25/2017

"BEWARE"

Heidibalbach's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2017
First time playing Used cart Wet weather

OMG!!!

I usually enjoy our golf adventures and seldom write a review, but this course is

an exception.

They had 5 temporary greens because the irrigation system had failed and

they lost their greens. This I understand, but what I didn't understand was the

erosion in the middle of the fairways and the total disregard of general

maintenance.

The people I feel most sorry for are the residents with homes on the fairways

that to me will be totally devalued in another year.

To me I overpaid even using a 'hot deal'.

"Skunk"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2017

Website says they had a rough summer and the greens were bad with a couple of temp greens. The whole course is not being maintained at all. Sandtraps are a disaster, fairways not being mowed and I couldn't even find the tee boxes on several holes.

needtoplaynow's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2017

"Awful maintenance"

wall23185's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2017

Such a shame, this course used to be sooo beautiful and now the management has let this course go completely. The greens were horrible, burnt up with weeds growing put of them everywhere like a under funded public course. Pace of play was great because literally no one else was there. Now I see why, such a shame. This course could be amazing again but no one will play it in the shape it is in.

"Worst Ever Condition"

Dbowling1's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2017

Green conditions poor, weeds & bare spots. fairways have holes you could lose a golf cart in and weeds but the layout is great. It is a shame that the course is not being maintained. I have played this course occasionally since it opened and it has steadily declind.

"What happened?"

1957kit's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

This course is in horrible shape. The greens are primarily some type of black fungus, for lack of a better word. Would recommend this course only if it were free to play and lunch was provided. As a local, it's disappointing to see what such a great track has become.

Bubbabob's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/30/2017

Good layout poor conditions on course Greens need alot of work

"Stonehouse"

letzgolf's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/28/2017

This course was in terrible shape. It looks like they are putting zero dollars into it. Just cutting the grass. Doubt I will be back anytime soon.

"A lesson in humility"

kparks12's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2017

I was fortunate to have found a 1:27 hot deal tee time. I had a friend in Richmond have something come up, and he was unable to keep our tee time at another course, so I thought I'd give Stonehouse a shot, as it'd been over 10 years since I'd played there (since the Alzheimer's Association stopped having their annual tournament there and Royal New Kent).

On a very positive note, the entire round felt like I had the course to myself, as I never caught up to anyone, nor did I have anyone pushing me.

This layout is absolutely brutal, and I cant imagine there is anyone; member, guest, or even pro, that shoots scratch golf on this course, from any of the tees.

Very thankful I had just upgraded my GolfPad app, but even that, along with the pro tips handout, made it extremely difficult to accurately select clubs and consider ideal shot placement. Even when I did hit a great drive, followed by an equally great approach shot, I'd 3 or 4 putt because of either, or a combo of, the size and layout or burnt conditions of the greens. To say this course beat me up, and served as an exercise in humility, is an understatement.

Unfortunately, my biggest takeaway was the unrealized potential of this course. I'm reluctant to put Stonehouse in the same category, but this course gave me flashbacks of River's Bend, during the beginning of the demise. I really hope those with the ability to turn this course around do so immediately, as it'd be a shame to see this beautifully designed course spiral out of control. It's too special.

I gave 4 stars because of the course design, the very pleasant pro (gentleman) that checked me in, the awesome cheeseburger and fries I called in before teeing off on #8, and the great personality of the young lady that boxed it up for me as I made the turn.

In short, I'd love to return in the future and increase my rating to a 5. The design of this course, combined with the resources, grounds knowledge, and TLC of the folks that manage Spring Creek and The Federal Club would put this course in the elite circle. Imho, of course...

"Blind Shots + Time = Ugly Scores"

Chuck2063203's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2017

The amenities were mostly above par - well-maintained clubhouse, powerful carts, concrete-aggregate cart paths throughout, adequate tee box space and like-new rental clubs.

However, it took our threesome, with no one in front of us, 5 1/2 hours with no stop at the turn. One would not expect a normal round to take that long, but the layout and green placement was brutal, even with the aid of a guide booklet and sheet of pro tips happily supplied by Sarah at check-in.

The distance between greens and subsequent teeboxes extended play time. Cart paths meandered through woods often making us wonder if we would ever see a "next tee." Flags were not visible from most of those teeboxes, even on par 3's. One back nine par 3 went so steeply down a hill we didnt' see the large precarious drainage ditch just prior to the green. Other tee shots had to traverse valleys of trees just to reach the fairway, something many lady golfers would find impossible.

It's a beautiful area for a course, but I could only recommend it to those posessing near pro-like skills and patience.

Overall this was a memorable round because we all shot our worst scores in a long while.

"Great course"

pjgalbi's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/23/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

Last year Stonehouse lost its greens and had some ragged tee boxes. They must have hired a new superintendent because course conditions were at least 300 percent better. Greens were in great shape this time, tee boxes were generally much better and the sand traps were in generally good condition. This is not a course for a beginner, and the course is punitive for those playing the wrong set of tees. But play the right set of teens and you'll find this beautiful course fun, interesting and challenging. Michael Strantz at his best,

"Stonehouse Golf"

Mchanget's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/06/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather

Would of been nice to play this place 10 years ago. Course layout was very nice, position golf. Plenty of nice scenery, no way you can walk this place. Seemed like there was too much ground for them to take care of. Plenty of weeds on the back 9 greens, some with mine fields to putt over. The tee boxes where bare. One of the nicest clubhouses I have encounter, would of been a nice place to sit and watch.

"Generous three"

Speedblade54's avatar
Virginia Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

The three rating is for the people, the layout, the natural setting and the weather . All were great. The course is in rough shape. If I had seen some of the reviews before I played I would have taken pictures. Tees sandy with little grass. Fairways full of weeds and burned in spots. Sand traps forget. Hard , packed and full of weeds. Greens, well you know there is an issue when paying green fees and they are apologizing for the greens and in his words, especially the 18 th. Funny thing it looked about the same as the rest. Now we had a great day , really enjoy the layout . The staff was very accomadating and the grill very good. All we could think of is how nice the course could be .

"Great Track, disappointing course conditions"

D2Golfsnob's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/14/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This is a great layout. If you like to really beat yourself up, play it from the tips. Extremely difficult. Great Track, definitely a Mike Strantz design, maybe one of his best. Beautiful, unique holes, need to play it more than once to really play well though. Very poor course conditions, the tees look like they haven't been cut in over a week, lots of grass clippings in the fairways, and the green conditions were not good. I'd definitely go back, but would need to be with better course conditions. Overall, very disappointed in the condition of the course, it really took away from the overall experience. I love the course, but the grounds crew didn't do their job, or didn't get the budget they need to do their job. If you want a challenge, go play it.

"Awesome Layout"

benson59's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

One of a kind course. Layout is dramatic with huge fairways and huge ravines. The greens are big but full of undulation. Service was friendly. Playing surfaces are in great shape. A little rough around the edges but that gives it a rugged look. Played with an email special. Incredible value. I will be back!