Highlands at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa

GPS: Yes

Walking allowed: No
Dress code: Appropriate golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Tournament 71 6659 yards 71.5 125
Championship 71 6207 yards 69.2 120
Regular 71 5675 yards 66.8 114
Forward (W) 71 5011 yards 68.3 115

Location is at a resort worth the drive   Great for a weekend splurge entertaining clients wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers undulating greens   Great for drinks

"Family reunion"

Dodger57's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/16/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Was in Lake Geneva area for my wife's family reunion. I was able to sneak away for some golf and decided to play The Highlands for the first time. There were some pretty heavy rains the night before but course was in excellent shape. It was cart path only which made the course a bit of a walk at times. Course conditions were very good, greens had been aerated weeks ago and ran very nice. Bunkers needed to be worked from the rains but that would be expected. Definitely recommend this course and next time in LG I will be back.

"Not quite The Brute but still a challenge"

Iamdiesel18's avatar
Illinois Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This was my first time playing either course at Grand Geneva. Even before stepping foot on the course, I was impressed with the facilities. The pro shop is very nice. The practice green is very large with a variety of slopes to get you ready for the greens on the courses. The is a chipping/pitching area next to the practice green. Balls on the driving range are included with your greens fees. You have to hit off of turf but the range is large with a variety of flags set at different distances to get you warmed up. The golf carts are set up with a very nice GPS unit which gives readings of distance to the pin, front and back of the greens, hazards, etc. Probably the nicest GPS set-up I've seen on a cart.

The starter at the first tee recommended the blue tees for my group. In doing so, he said it really doesn't matter what set of tees you play from. He stated The Highlands course will give you multiple chances for birdies and pars but it will also give you multiple chances for double and triple bogeys.

The course does not play extremely long as even from the tips it is less than 6700 yards. Where this course will beat you up is the par 4's. Many of them have such tight landing areas off the tee where you will have to hit a wood or a hybrid off the tee to play it safe. If you miss badly, you are in the woods or waste areas, and are scrambling for bogey. Elevations changes will also play havoc with your club selection and distances. Overall, the course was in excellent condition. Just be aware, the course was closed on 4/25, as they were starting to aerate the greens. If you play The Highlands in the next week or two, the greens may run a little rough.

Pace of play on a Sunday afternoon was just OK. There were waits on some tees and several holes had multiple groups on them. I believe we finished our round in a little over 4.5 hours.

Out of the two course, I enjoyed The Brute more but will definitely play The Highlands again. The two courses compliment each other well. If you play The Highlands first, it is a good warm-up for The Brute. If you play The Brute first and get beat up, The Highlands will be a welcome recovery round. For perspective, I shot 10 strokes better on The Highlands than I did The Brute.

"A scenic, playable course through beautiful woodland"

KielChristianson's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/16/2015

TheHighlands used to be called The Briar Patch. It was one of the early, and few, Pete Dye-Jack Nicklaus collaborations, opened in 1968 as part of the Playboy Resort. Some older buddies of mine who played the original said it was much tougher at that time than its sister course, The Brute. But it was reworked and softened in the mid-late 1990s by Bob Cupp and Bob Lohman -- and renamed to sound less threatening. A bit more target-golf than The Brute, but "getable". A guy I played with had 5 birdies and an eagle, but still shot 80, due to some triple-bogeys. In other words: getable, but still plenty of trouble to find -- wetlands, woods, high grass. Lots of short par 4s, which will challenge your club selections and strategy, depending on the tees you play -- anything from a driver down to hybrid will be an option. Undulating greens that still show telltale hallmarks of the Dye-Nicklaus days. Great staff and practice area!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Can score well or score high"

dahlryan's avatar
Chicago-Milwaukee Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2015

The Highlands at grand geneva is a very nice course with very good amenities. Staff is friendly and helpful and the bag of tees and repair tools are a great addition. You can score on this course very well but the course is tight which can make the score go up up up. Fairways are some of the best around and greens are always in good shape too. The 9th hole is for sure the hardest hole in walworth county maybe the hardest in southern wi. 450yd par 4 uphill with a landing zone off the tee about 30 yds wide with ob on both sides. Then have a long iron or hybrid up hill to a false front green. Getting out of here with 5 is a good score. The golf course is a top 5 lg cpurse to me the bev carts are huge and obnoxious and the price for the course is far to high, but they always throw out deals with the hotel so check for those. Great course to play if you can find a deal.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Grand Geneva Resort - Highlands / Very Nice!"

winski56's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/21/2014
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

This is a very nice upscale coarse and got a very good price from golfnow.com . I was supposed to be paired up with other golfers but was told the coarse was wide open and could go out when ever I felt like it. I hit a couple at the range first and when i went to the 1 tee there was no one waiting so I just went out alone. The coarse was in great condition for mid Oct. and it had some quite challenging holes. I would definitely play this coarse again.

"beautiful course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/03/2014
Previously played Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

good value --will be back-will attend with regular four-some

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Love the terraine layout"

bgonzalez's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/03/2014

Love the glacier terraine of the Highlands. There's hardly no houses. Mostly woids and fields. I think this course is harder than the Brute. It has a couple of short par 4, blind holes.<br/> Considering it had rain for two days, 50° and 20 mph winds it was cart path only..The grounds crew was working hard to blow the leaves away. The $10 rate (Golfnow.com) was worth the trip to Grand Geneva National..

"Great course, Great deal from Golfnow"

mark8950148's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/29/2014
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

great golf course that I was able to play all 18 by myself. There's even a runway in the middle of the course that caught my eye. A leftover from the playboy club era days I suppose.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Great course but slow pace of play"

levinesg's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/25/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

We really had a great day at the Highlands. The layout is great with ample landing areas on most holes, great conditions and tricky, sloping greens. Played the senior tees (around 5700+) yards which made the course very playable for my ability.

We had some concerns with the help we received upon check-in. The guy at the bag drop who seemed very busy, never put my clubs on the cart, so I had to do that myself. Also, the women in the golf shop asked me to prove that we had prepaid. Luckily, I was able to show her the confirmation email on my iPhone. Despite these minor issues, we had a great day and would return .

Commented on 07/10/2016

The Highlands has always been my favorite course, and is truly that inspired by the actually "Links" of a Scottish golf course. I have both golfed and worked as Supervisor and a filled in many times on a Beverage and food cart. You are also very correct! I can't tell you how many times someones ball had actually hit my Beverage cart alone. Luckily we had those thick and sturdy Plexi-Glass shields to protect us from the from and back and partially on the sides. Came really close one time though! A ball actually came on in the inside of my cart, and thankfully someone yelled to "Fore" in enough time for me to take cover under my seat, with my arms covering my head. So, yes... There are some blind areas on the Highlands, but it's such a beautiful links! I liked it better than the Brute, but that's just me.

"top tier golf course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/19/2014
Previously played Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Fairly long with someelevated tees and greens, long carries and large undulating greens. Fairways, rough and greens all in top notch condition.

"Highlands"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2014
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

The course was in great shape. We did not see anyone until the 17th hole. I would recommend this course to anyone who can hit the ball accurately.

"Overall nice place"

Crooked49's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2014

Had a great day even though I played bad course was beautiful and conditions were ideal. Greens a little tough to read and challenging course. Good job grand geneva!! We will be back

"Away Day"

u000005219607's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

We had a challenging and rewarding time playing 18 holes on the Highlands. The weather was quite warm and humid, or we would have enjoyed the day even more.<br/> The setting, surroundings are beautiful. Placed in the midst of the beautiful architecture of nature.<br/> We will definitely be back!

"what a great time"

Jbuldak's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2014

My first time ever playing. Got tomplay for $25. This is unheard of. Very challenging. Absolutely beutiful. You cant go wrong.

"Excellent Day and Valur"

bridiem31's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/02/2014

I will go back in a heart beat. Great course. High tech carts with Gps. Great day had by all. Course is not for beginners however. Perfectly challenging for our group.

"My Experience"

Sam6526475's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2014

Over all we had a great time the golf course, will go back again.

"Highlands"

Grl3rd's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/13/2014

Great facility. In feel its over priced if you base it solely on the course. Great staff, they will certainly take good care of you.<br/> GPS on carts, can order food from the GPS and they bring it out to you, complimentary towels, tee's, divot replacer, ball marker.<br/> Huge practice facility<br/> Multiple drink carts on the course.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Great layout fantastic facility!"

Raul5816028's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/08/2014

Played 18 course was in fantastic condition! HIghly recommended!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Grand Geneva Highlands Review"

Shark0072's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/06/2014

The was in excellent condition. The only bad thing was there was some holes where there were a lot of mosquitoes.

"great value"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Poor weather Verified Purchaser

I thought it was a nice course and a great value.<br/> very friendly people at the course. Very nice experiance.