Straits Golf Course at Whistling Straits

• N8501 County LS, Sheboygan, WI 53083, Sheboygan County
  • (800) 618-5535, (920) 565-6062
  • americanclubresort.com/golf/whistling-straits

Year built: 1998
Architect(s): Pete Dye (1998)
Type: Public

Golf school / academy: Yes - Kohler Golf Academy

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Green (W) 72 6663 yards 79.4 143

Average Rating 4.8 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive at a resort   Great for a bucket list/top 100 pick wildlife/ scenic views group getaways   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens   Great for patio dining

"Nothing can top this place."

dahlryan's avatar
Chicago-Milwaukee Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/30/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

This place words can hardly describe. I have played great courses like Bethpage Black and Erin Hills and this place takes the cake. The conditions were top notch the service was amazing and the sites are breath taking. We got in what they call the Kohler fall challenge so you get to play both the Straits and the River in a Best Ball format. Those 7 or so holes that run along Lake an so cool they look like they are floating out there. The other 11 are terrifically designed. There isnt a bad or even average hole on this course. A plus plus in my book. A bucket list course for sure.

"Stunning but difficult real difficult"

Nomie4544517's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/15/2016

This was a bucket list course for my daughter and I and what a great place. All the staff were just awesome. We didn't get a caddy due to our tee time at 3:40 so we carried, what a mistake, wow tough track to walk much less carrying your own bag. Much respect to the caddies here. The course was mind blowing. The landscape was unreal, loved it. Only issue I have is it's a little tough to pick a line your first time around and trust it, insert caddy help here. Regardless it was a great experience one we won't forget.

"Glad we did it but not likely to repeat soon - Thanks "Borat""

Crowmer's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Yes its famous, yes its got some truly memorable holes, yes the lake views are special.

But seriously, its $1,000 for a twosome, with caddie and tip.

And IMO links golf in 90 degree direct sun with no trees anywhere is not that appealing.

Caddie (Oscar) was outstanding, though ... definitely assisted our play and made the experience more fun, plus he does an awesome Borat impersonation.

Oh, and btw it is ridiculously hard, especially with 20 MPH wind all day.

Glad I got it off the bucket list, but I think River is the better course.

"Bucket List Course!"

kyleclop's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I can't say enough great things about the course! Great practice area, friendly staff and really challenging course. The course was in great shape. Walking the course with your caddy was a lot of fun too! My caddy was Gilberto and he was fantastic. Great personality and really knowledgeable about the course. Jason was the other caddy in our group and was excellent as well. I didn't play well but it was probably the best golf experience of my life.

Commented on 08/06/2016

I'm heading up to play the Straits on 8/15, were there any talks about punching the greens soon?

"Golf heaven in Haven, Wisconsin"

gyoju's avatar
Downstate Illinois Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/06/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Prince recently died and one of my favorite Prince's songs is "I would die 4 u." The Straits course is designed by world famous Pete Dye and I'd die here while I watch my T-shot going straight into the hole in par 3s. Then, I hope that my golf buddies bury my body under one of 1,1000 bunkers.

Yes, the course is so beautiful and the scenery along Michigan lake is surreal as if I'm walking on another planet. Caddies in white uniform sing "fore" like angels and the wind whistles in harmony. This course is a grave yard for your precious balls yet a perfect place to bury your favorite golf memories.

"Lots of intimidation, but playable if the wind is down"

KielChristianson's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2015
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

So, this is an expensive course -- $390 rack rate w/ about $120 total for caddie. But it is the site of PGA Championships and the 2020 Ryder Cup. So...Bucket List. It's wild and jagged, and is admittedly contrived to look like a dunesy links. But it is FUN. If the wind is not blowing too hard, it's a perfectly fair course that is relatively straightforward to play if you're not too wild off the tee. Get the ball in play, and enjoy the scenery. I played the entire round with one ball -- caddie only saved the day once. Nearly all but the greenside bunkers are eye candy, designed to freak you out and play with depth perception. 18 is the hardest hole on the course, and for purists, it'll be a bit of a "clown's nose" sort of hole, but hit a career approach, andy you will never forget it!

"Worth the price"

capn34's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2015
First time playing Walked Excellent weather

The price may scare some people away, but it is worth it as a bucket list course. Top notch everything. Not a bad hole on the golf course and some excellent views.

"Brutal on a Windy Day"

theBont's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/18/2015
First time playing Played as a single Walked Played 18 holes Fair weather

Wow, this course was brutal with the wind blowing consistently over 20mph the entire day. The fairways are fair, but if you are having trouble finding the fairway the course shows its teeth. I didn't have my best game and with the wind blowing the course was a brute from the green tees. I made a tee time only 2 days before hand as a single and surprisingly when I showed up in the morning it was just me, sent out as the first group of the day. I basically had the course and caddie to myself, typically a caddie carries two bags, so we managed to play in about 3.25 hrs. This is a bucket list course, but this does not come cheap. The Straits course requires a caddie so expect to spend at least $120 on top of the steep $380 green fee. I would love to play this course again, but I think I would do so as part of a package to try and lower the somewhat exorbitant price.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"A little over the top perhaps, but unforgettable"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2014
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I can finally cross the Straits Course off my bucket list. It's everything I thought it would be -- incredible views, difficult and very Pete Dye. Was it necessary to put 1,000 bunkers on the golf course, especially since half or more really don't come into play? Probably not, but that's Dye for you. With that said, I found the course to be imminently interesting, even though it is a little over the top. It's certainly an experience I'll never forget. And despite it's intimidating feel, I never lost a ball (the caddies told us that might be the case before the round). I actually found it more playable than two of Dye's other more recent works -- Pound Ridge in NY and his course in French Lick, Indiana. And yes, it's expensive, but this is one of those golfers every avid golfer should get to once in his or her lifetime simply to experience it.

"Bucket list"

Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/20/2014
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

A bit over the top, but a course that any serious golfer has to play. Half of the bunkers never come into play. I expected an unfair, quirky course, but actually, it's fair but difficult. Fairways are much wider than they look from the tee box. Greens are fairly easy to read and extremely consistent. Played front 9 with no wind and shot even par. Lots of wind on back 9 and shot 43...different course in wind. Absolutely beautiful scenery. Great caddies. VERY pricey.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"A Must Play Despite Cost"

sballer06's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/21/2013
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

So obviously this is a bucklist with a high price tag and I had high expectations entering the round. The course not only met them all, it exceeded them. Probably got a big break given it was about 72 degrees with minimal wind and sunny. The atmosphere is first class and the sheep roaming the course are a nice touch. Amazing vistas from just about every hole. The pace of play was pretty slow, not due to slow play, but because of course length. There aren't too many better finishing holes than #18 Dyeabolical

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Jaw-dropping, extremely difficult Dye creation"

BrandonTuckerGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2013
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

The Straits Course is, quite frankly, a tribute to excess: excessive land moved, five-something-thousand bunkers and also (at least for most of us average hacks) excessive balls lost during a round.

While I certainly respect and appreciate what Herb Kohler and Pete Dye have done here, and the views are spectacular, I can't say it's one of my favorite courses in the world. I don't think it feels like "Ireland." It looks like a bomb went off in Ireland. I've never been completely on board with how severely and jaggedly Dye shapes courses and this is a prime example. Maybe one day, should I get down to scratch, I'll appreciate the challenge made here for the Ryder Cups, PGAs,etc. Until then, I'll stick to Blackwolf Run or the Irish Course, both of which I prefer (and both of which are far more affordable).

Play it once to get the point, then head across Lake Michigan and play Arcadia Bluffs for half the cost.