Heather Glen Golf Links - Red/White Course

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

"Avoid this course"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/11/2017

Have played Heather Glen many times in the past. Very good layout. This year was dramatically different. Pro shop and course personnel were nonexistent. Greens appear not to have been mowed in several days. Fairways were not much better.

You could easily loose balls in untended rough. This course is obviously being neglected. We later found that owners are trying to sell the course. Homeowners and members have blocked efforts to sell to new developer. Avoid course until this is resolved. Used to be a nice tract- hopefully they can bring it back.

"Wanted to play course one last time since I hear it is being sold for home development"

rkimbrell's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

Have played Heather Glen many times in the past years coming to Myrtle Beach for the World Amateur. The news is that Heather Glen will be sold and golf course torn up for housing development if the zoning is approved. I wanted to play her one more time while I had the chance. This course never disappoints. Some very very good holes. Lots of character, challenging but fun to play. Course was wet but considering...the conditioning was very good.

The staff is always friendly and helpful.

Hate to see another really great golf course go away.

"Another Glen Gem"

JackStraw6's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/25/2017
First time playing Used cart Wet weather

Played all three nines. It's a Links course with all the pot bunkers around the greens, swales and buried volkswagons in the fairways placed in an American style layout. Woods frame every WIDE fairway. Had a torrential downpour the night before so it was cart path only which made it a little longer to play. I found the Red and White more to my liking and skill as there weren't many 375-400 4's. All the par 3's were mid irons which suits me just fine. The fives were also manageable too. The Blue was the tougher of the 3 with quite a few loooong 4's. Course was in fantastic shape although because of the rain there was no roll in the fairways. No complaints about the greens either. I like 'em slow and to hold my iron shots and they were both. Prolly cause of the rain cause most greens down here are slick. Next up for me is Possum Trot and if it's like any of the other 3 Glens courses, I know I won't be disappointed. Huzzah!

"A wonderful design in need of some TLC"

GregMBRP's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2017
Previously played Used cart Cold weather

Growing up I always wanted to play Heather Glen on my trips to Myrtle Beach. It was one of my favorites on the strand. So when I played the other day I was expecting similar feelings to remain, however, I found myself a bit underwhelmed.

The course design and layout are still fantastic as the layout forces you to hit the right spots and the smaller greens place a premium on accuracy. Your short game will need to be sharp.

The conditions are not up to par compared to my memories. Having lived in the area the past several years conditions this winter were prime for all courses to be in wonderful shape, yet Heather Glen is lagging in this area.

The fairways are not barren but they are far from pure. Green wise the white 9 are slower and not as great as the blue 9. However, the greens were firm on approach shots.

The value for what we paid is there and if you are someone coming from the North you will see conditions similar to what you are accustom to in April in the North.

The clubhouse and the pro shop are a bit unwelcoming. The exterior could use a paint job and some grooming. The pro shop is rather empty and lacks large merchandise choices. Its almost as if they are working under the idea that the land is going to be sold in the near future.

Overall, the course layout and the value are still there and worth playing if you are looking for a Scottish influenced course. We paid around 60$ I wouldn't pay more though, so keep an eye on price when booking. My hope is that this course will not disappear and with a little TLC can return to its formidable self of years past.

"Nice Layout"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/21/2017

Tee Boxes & Greens are in good shape but the Fairways are very thin & bare in some areas. Nice layout. Hopefully conditions will improve when Spring arrives. Staff is always very friendly.

"Great design, conditioning could be better..."

MillerOutdoors's avatar
New Hampshire Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/04/2017
First time playing Used cart Cold weather

Very interesting target type course. Cool design with pot bunkers and lots of dog leg holes. The superintendent should be sent down to the minors though. Fairways were only about 25% grass and a ton of unfilled divots on all the fairways. Very poor job overseeding. Green looked great, and we're freshly cut, but they were very slow. Maybe not even a 7 on the stimp. Such a drastic change from other courses in the area which are much quicker. Had a hard time getting the ball to the hole. Even affected chipping and pitching. Had to fly the ball so much more aggressively at the hole. The greens were very receptive and anything with any amount of spin would back up, especially on the many greens which slope back to front. A couple of time I landed wedges pin high and they ripped back 15+ feet, twice off the front of the green. Not ideal. If I played it again I'd play a hard, non-spinning ball. Played a Callaway Chrome Soft this round. On the last hole, a really cool par 5 over water, I had a full gap wedge from 115y from the wiry, dormant bermuda rough back up 8 feet. That never happens to me.

I'd rate the fairways a 3. The greens a 6. Tees a 7. Sand traps a 6. Design a 9+. Too bad it's not properly taken care of as it could be something very special.

"A Great Day at Heather Glen"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I live in the Myrtle Beach/Brunswick County area and have often golfed at Heather Glen. The conditions have always been very good but in my last three outings there the conditions have been excellent. The fairways were bright green, closely mowed and without any clippings. The greens were immaculate and true. It's simply a bargain to golf at such a superbly maintained course.

"Nice Layout"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

Tee Boxes & Fairways are in great shape. Greens recently aerfied but doing OK. Staff very accommodating except no beverage cart due to the heat.........

"Great course. This is a must play!!!"

4mac4golf's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/17/2014
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather

The course is excellent and I have played it 2 more times since this review was written.

"one of the best in sc"

asnead12's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/05/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Fair weather

This is the best layout on the beach! We had a great time from the beautiful drive in to the expert staff. The course was flawless from tee to green. I will spread the word about this hidden gem!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Great track"

mark5174291's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/07/2013

Loved the place---clubhouse looks like an old European cottage. Greens are pristine. Extremely fun and fair test for your game

"Great Track"

mark5174291's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/07/2013

Loved it ... open fairways, proper bunkering. Greens were fantastic..true rolls, holding all day. Loved the place.

"Great Course"

jaredgraves's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/9/2013

Loved the course, the design was fun, yet challenging. Had been raining for the past few days, yet it was playable. Highly recommend it, look forward to playing it again in the future.

"Awesome layout!"

patrickhutchinson70's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 5/22/2013

We played the red/blue (1st & 3rd nine) track. I had wanted to play the white nine because I love the 9th hole, but it was cart path only and my 75-year old dad doesn't get around too well. The course was in excellent shape. However, I was disappointed to find the greens playing extremely slow. It didn't take long to get used to the speed, but I did have a hard time hitting putts online because I felt like I had to hit them so hard. The rough was a unique challenge around the greens. It was at least two inches deep starting just a few feet off the greens and any chips hit from it would take off and roll forever even though I play high-spin balls (Srixon Z-Star). I had to change my strategy on those shots after a few rolled 8-10ft past the hole. Another challenging element to this course was the firm condition of the bunkers. After playing Long Bay's fluffy bunkers the day before, I had a heck of a time with my high bounce SW in these...deep pot bunkers are no fun when they don't have much sand in them. Despite having a lower rating/slope, I thought it was slightly tougher than Long Bay because there were a lot of tight driving holes and many that required some serious shot placement off the tee to avoid hazards (bunkers and water). Overall, I loved the course and the challenging layout, but would like to see the greens faster and more sand in the bunkers.

PS - FWIW, I am male despite what my profile says. I have tried to change it,but it keeps going back to female.

"Review"

ArwenP's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/20/2012

Greens were slow and bumpy. Rye grass was just beginning to take over.

"Beautiful!"

Dax8621130's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/15/2012

Amazing course for the money! Would go back without a doubt!