TPC Myrtle Beach

• 1199 TPC Blvd, Murrells Inlet, South Carolina 29576, Georgetown County
  • tpcmyrtlebeach.com

Year built: 1999
Architect(s): Tom Fazio (1999), Lanny Wadkins (1999)
Type: Resort
Greens: MiniVerde Ultradwarf Bermuda
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Golf school / academy: Yes - "Dustin Johnson Golf School"

Metal spikes allowed: Yes
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 4.0 stars from 5

Great for a weekend splurge advanced golfers group getaways   Challenges include water hazards bunkers

"This place is the real deal"

GregMBRP's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/17/2017
Previously played Walked Perfect weather

Full Disclosure: I am a local and I am a member at TPC that being said the course is a wonderful place and in great shape right now.

For starters from the time you arrive the staff is extremely helpful and positive and the facilities are well kept. Range balls are included so arrive early to warm up and make sure you roll a few putts because the green speeds and conditions are some of the best on the strand. They are usually rolling at about a 11-12 on the stimp. Since they are bermuda accounting for into the grain or down grain putts is needed.

The fairways and greens are lush and in incredible shape right now. The only thing that has yet to come in is the bermuda around the sand traps. These areas are still coming out of dormancy so you will get some odd lies around the traps but nothing unmanageable.

The Fazio layout will test all parts of your game and if you put yourself into the wrong spot off the tee you could pay the price. I highly suggest if you have never played the course that you play from the correct tee boxes maybe even go one ahead of your normal tee grounds just to make it more enjoyable. You shouldn't be fooled by the distances on the scorecard as Fazio's design sets up in a way that par is protected well on each hole regardless of distance.

Value wise given the conditions this course is worth it. It is definitely one of the top 10 places on the strand and maybe the most affordable of that group.

Pace of play is usually very good there are times were it can get a bit slower. This is depending on what part of the course you are on as some par 3's are followed by reachable par 5's.

You will also enjoy the wildlife throughout the course as there are some scenic areas where you may come across alligators, turkeys, deer and various water fowl.

Final thoughts TPC has a bit of everything and is a great flagship course for the area's golf business. Definitely, play here!

"An Enjoyable Golf Challenge"

reedyt's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

We played TPC on a day that included 30-40 MPH winds and cart path only rules due to 3 inches of rain in the 2 days prior. Even for cart path only, the round was slow; it took us 5 hours and 45 minutes. Putting the pace of play aside, TPC is an incredible course in perfect condition. Every inch of the course was green and the greens were immaculate. It is a tough track, but there is nothing unfair about it. We had a variety of skill levels in our group and everybody really enjoyed the course. We have played many of the courses in Myrtle Beach and TPC is in the top 5.

"Even better than last time"

kfish64's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2017

Our buddies trip just played TPC MB for the third year in a row. I didn't think the course could be in any better condition than it was last year, but I was wrong. Quite simply, the course was in phenomenal condition, with lightning fast greens. According to a couple of the staff, the new Chinese owners doubled the maintenance budget, and wow. Again, staff was fantastic. My only nit-picking complaint is for the hot dogs at the clubhouse -- a cold bun, with cold cheese, is just wrong. I'll give them points for consistency -- it was the same last year. According to others in our group, the other food choices in the clubhouse are quite good.

"Enjoyed it"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/13/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

Nice layout, great condition. Play the right set of tee's or you will have a long day. Greens were super quick even with the large amount of rain the previous day, but the course drained very well.

Needed more staff at the bag drop there was one poor fellow trying to take care of about 20 people. We went into the clubhouse registered, came back out and our clubs were not on the cart, so I went to put them on and the guy was panicked and insisted it was his job. I get it, but I also understood he was crazy busy.

Overall an enjoyable day.

"Tough Fazio layout"

RavensGolfer's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2017

Course lived up to my expectations for a TPC course and a Fazio desIgn. Was skeptical when starter warned us breaking 100 would be a challenge, but everywhere I turned, my ball seemed drawn to the traps which surround the greens. Would put this in the top-20 in Myrtle Beach area.

Off-course, service and food in the grille was top notch.

"Fantastic from Tee Time to Play"

Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/02/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

From the time we made our tee time to tee off what an experience. The staff from the bag drop to the clubhouse to the starter to the gentlemen that cleaned our clubs we could not have been treated better. The course was everything I thought it should be and more. We asked if had played here before by the starter and we said no so he advised us to play from the gold tees which we did it was good advice. The course is challenging as every green is guarded by sand traps (this course has a lot of them) there is water but the traps are the bigger challenge. Nobody pushing us and we let a foursome take our 8:50 tee time which was not a problem as we needed to use the range to warm up (it didn't help!). It was a fine experience as the course was in great shape and with the friendliness of the staff it made for a wonderful day and we finished in just over 4 hrs. Highly recommended.

Response from TPC Myrtle Beach on 03/06/2017:

Hi Patrick, thank you for the five star rating and feedback! We appreciate your business and are pleased to hear that you had a wonderful experience at our course. Thank you for stopping by TPC Myrtle Beach and we look forward to an even better round with you next visit!

"Great track"

BlueMarshMonster's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/16/2017

Great layout that keeps you interested where all holes are different. Some traps deep and narrow which leads to stances not for the regular golfer. Rained day before so cart path only due to upcoming junior nationals. Led to a 5hr round while keeping up with group in front. Didn't have 1soft lie so could have easily been able to drive on fairway. They said greens were running 9.5 which was slower than the normal 10.5 but I feel that was more suitable for average golfer.

"Excellent."

MillerOutdoors's avatar
New Hampshire Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/01/2017

Course very well run. In very good shape. Greens were quick, but not lightning, about a 9.5 on stimp I'd say. Very puttable, but underlying grain of dormant grass is confusing for this northerner and didn't putt well. I'd rate the greens a 9 out if 10. I'd rate the fairways a 9 also. Very nice. Didn't have to roll the ball but a few times to get proper fairway lie. Traps were also a 9. Deep and penal, but perfectly raked and playable. Pace of play was just under 5 hours. Great practice facility with all the balls you want. Great course and look forward to playing it again.

"Unfair rating"

waves3464's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/04/2016

If you checked the comments on this course from

Th local golf community, it will appears to you that this course is not in good shape compare to other courses in the area. These negative comments were left to scare you away. I'm from CA vacationing in Myrtle Beach and decided to check the course out any way. We called the course this morning for the available tee time and spoke to Samantha who kindly booked 10:00A time for us at he senior rate. I played this course years ago and didn't remember much about the course and its conditions. Let me tell you, we played four rounds this week before playing TPC Myrtle Beach today and the course is in excellent shape. Some soft spots on fairways but overall thnit's course is in excellent conditions. My game, however, are not as sharp and sprayed the balls all over the places.

Come play this course, you wont b disappointed otherwise you can contact me and yell at me for misleading you.

The posts left on the local golf community do not serve justice to the course. This course is a challenging golf course and tougher than it's USGA ratings. Bring your A game.

Thanks again, Samantha..

"Slow slow slow"

patriots68's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/13/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Average weather

Almost 6 hours to get around and saw the cart girl once. Course was still recovering from Hurricane Matthew. They had done a good job of cleaning up but some of the bunkers were still in rough shape. They did have a large crew working on them. The course drained well and was very dry even after all the rain. The greebs were a 12. Lack of GPS in the carts at a premium course was a surprise. They did include a yardage book. Locker room was a little cramped. A nice driving range with unlimited balls included. Pro shop and Grill weren't anything special.

"Meh!"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/12/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather

IMO... a course I see for the first time and I shoot better than my 12 handicap is certainly not worth $115.00 "including tax". And if you find yourself scheduled to play here... don't do it on a Monday when it's course maintenance day or when it's rained the day before as none of the traps will be raked.

Average layout with nice greens.

"TPC"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/12/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Course in is fair shape. Greens are rolling fast & true. Some rough spots in the fairways but overall ok. Staff was very accommodating & the wet cold towel at the end of the round was nice since it was very hot & humid day. Pace of play was excellent. Pub & grill inside is very nice with excellent service. This is a top rated course in MB but given it's current conditions I would not pay Full Price at this time.

"arrogance plus"

sharbaugh's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/19/2016

Course was in awful shape and the pro shop commented that is the way it is supposed to be. Dirt fairways were due to "transition " between grasses. They told me the dirt was not dirt, it was grass I did not see. Apparently, someone who plays all types of courses from high end private to low end Munising does not understand the difference between dirt and grass I can not see. Arrogant attitude surrounds the entire facility. I like the layout, but will go elsewhere from now on

"Good layout, poor conditions"

azgolfer6285's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/07/2016

I would start by saying whenever I have played a TPC course I have high expectations. Many positives to this course - staff service, food and beverage service, and in general the course layout. And to be fair a ton of rain the day prior left the fairways soggy and cart path only. Main issue was the greens - lots of bare patches on all 18 greens and little grass to work from. One staff member cited they were "off season" and the greens were shifting seasons yet we played a different course in the area the day prior and their greens were impeccable.

For the money our group felt other courses in the MB area were higher quality and better conditions.

"Amazing staff paired with a fantastic course"

Anthony9184196's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/05/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

The staff friendliness made the entire experience. From the time you pull up, the gentlemen who take your bags welcomes you with open arms. The gentlemen working the pro shop was super friendly. Lastly, the starters and on-course staff were amazing. I have played over 200 courses, and this is the best staff experience I have ever had. They make the experience special.

The course is scenic with very little housing. The holes are challenging enough to make it fun, but not overly difficult. I will definitely be back to play here, tops in Myrtle beach. Great work on keeping perfect conditioning .

"As good as I'd been told"

kfish64's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Our buddies golf trip (12 of us) just played here last week. A couple of our group had played here last year and told me it was spectacular -- they were right. Everything about the place was superb -- course conditions, the staff, practice facilities -- it was all top notch. The greens were the best we played all week. If I had to nit-pick, about the only thing I can think of is that I wish the hot dog I had after the round had a heated/toasted bun -- that's it. In every respect, an outstanding day at an outstanding facility run by a superb staff. Our trip is an annual affair, and TPC Myrtle will be a "must play" on each trip.

"Exactly what you'd expect from a TPC"

Isaaccoates's avatar
Age:  Under 25

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2016

I was very excited to play this course simply because of the brand attached to it. A golf course designed for pros but great for amateurs as well. It's a solid routing and it really flows as one, everything feels natural with the surroundings. I was amazed by the bunkering on this course, Fazio and Wadkins did a spectacular job with the placement as well as the depth of these. You do not want to land in them. The only drawback was that the first couple holes started fairly slow. I would definitely be back, cracks my top 5 on the strand.

"Want to play again when dry"

mcquainc13's avatar
Age:  Under 25

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/31/2015
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

This is an excellent course layout, however in later Dec when I play the course was in very bad shape. The pro said that it had been a very rainy month and it showed. The fairways were all very long and some so wet the ball would plug, but understandable out of season. Would like to play in peak season to see how good it can be.

"Nice track"

buddhaman4's avatar
Philly Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2015

This is home of Dustin Johnson. Course was in great condition... Greens were maybe aerated 2 months prior and we're speedy. Awesome clubhouse and staff welcomes you with open arms and makes you want to come back.... Challenging track.... Keep it out of the trees and if u want to score well. My one complaint is the pace..... They like most other courses double book and send people out on #1 and #10.... And i tend to disagree with that.... Tee time was at 7:30 and paired with another single we zoomed around course in an hour and half.... When we made the turn we were told we had to wait.... And that we had to pair up with another twosome to slow down our pace. When u book a text time early, u book it with hopes of getting through round as fast as possible.... You shouldn't be punished for playing fast and have to wait to continue round. Case in point is why I hate double booking. The starter was excellent in setting us up and group we paired up with was awesome, but bottom line is if you play early you should be able to continue your round at same pace... Now with all that being said the course is an excellent track. I will revisit and I do recommend.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Great course."

glail's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Played Dustin Johnson's home course, TPC Myrtle Beach, today for the first time. I had a 1:12 tee time, expecting I would likely be playing with other golfers. That didn't happen. After hitting a few practice balls, the starter, Don, treated me as if I was a member. I played solo, and Don went out of his way to accommodate me starting me on the back, so no one would slow me down. I loved the layout of the course. It was in very good shape. Greens were still healing but rolled very quick and true. A few fairways had a couple bare places, but nothIng to complain about. I would definitely recommend playing this course if you are staying in the Myrtle Beach area. Thanks for a great round of golf!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent