River Golf Club, The

Year built: 1998
Architect(s): Jim Fazio
Type: Semi-Private

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Appropriate golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is convenient to the city   Great for advanced golfers locals   Challenges include water hazards forced carries   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views patio dining

"will play again"

posstum's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/28/2017

I take a semi annual vacation to the area to play with a seniors group nearby and on the off day I played this course. The fairways were scalped for over seeding and some spots were still brown on the back 9. the front was very nice. Am planning to go back next Feb and will play on the off day.

"Fun and challenging course in great condition"

RettJ's avatar
Georgia Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Great golf course in very good condition (the front nine fairways were shaved down in preparation for over-seeding and getting ready for the winter). I have played the course before and the course is always in great condition.

- The bermuda grass greens are in fantastic condition. They are smooth, fast, roll true and have very few ball marks.There are lots of undulations and subtle slopes on the greens which make them challenging.

- The rough is thick and lush and challenging to escape due to the thickness great condition of the rough

- You will not regret playing The River golf course. It is a great track in great condition.

"Great shape for Masters week"

u000004203401's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2017

Course is in excellent condition. Fully green, excellent fairways and greens. Friendly staff and nice pace of play. Played a 4 hour 10 min round on Saturday morning with a packed course.

"Fast Greens"

uBVEW1511BV's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/01/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I have lived in the area for two years. This course is the best maintained; of all the courses I have played. Greens were faster than I remembered; from the first time I played here. Staff was very courteous and accommodating. No problems.

"Perfect"

david5202361's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/29/2016

Me and my son played here Saturday and the course was amazing. From tee to green the conditions were great, the greens were absolutely perfect and fast The carts have GPS which is a big help. And it only took us 3:15.to play 18 holes.we will definitely be going back as soon as possible.

"Excellent course. Rude staff."

cmlogue58's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/29/2016

Wonderful golf course in immaculate condition. Staff needs customer service training. Gentleman at counter in the clubhouse was downright belligerent. Actually tracked us down on the course in the midst of our round to scold one of us for making a mistake in booking a tee time online. Woman at the snack bar appeared to really hate her job......no smiles, no "thank you" from anyone. If I'm dropping that kind of money to play a game I want it to be fun...at least pleasant. I won't go out of my way to play there again any time soon.

Commented on 11/18/2016

So the counter guy comments on my review stating that he is "as nice as he can be" to everyone......and that my statement is false? I think you just proved it to be true! Oh, and I forgot to mention the snarky remark made upon our arrival (we arrived 10 mins ahead of our scheduled tee time, having driven through a detour and a crowded fall festival in North Augusta to get to the course); "you have a flat tire or something?" Furthermore, as previously stated, I didn't make the tee time...another of the guys in our group did. You could have waited until we made the turn or finished our round to chastise us for the error. And when you did approach us, it was with a poor attitude. "i'm just telling you"------basically scolding us for the a mistake. ?maybe you are better suited for picking the range.

Commented on 11/17/2016

Sir, I kindly let you know that you did make a mistake booking your tee time. I did this as a service so you did not make the same mistake in booking again. I am always as nice as I can be to all players so your comment is false. Thanks

"Play The River Club"

gamecockdenny's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/25/2016

Definitely a 5 star course greens, fairway, tough, bunkers all in great condition. Lots of challenges no matter which tee box you choose.

"Fun to play."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/06/2016

Really enjoyed our day at this course. The greens were fast and the fairways and bunkers were well kept. Would definitely play it again!

"Excellent Golf Course"

Yongguo3065054's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

First time to play at this semi-private course and discovered the excellent design of the course. This is one of my favorite golf courses and definitely I would find opportunities to return to this beautiful courses. The bunkers are plentiful in the front 9 holes and water hazards in the back 9 holes making this course challenging yet interesting.

"One of my favorites"

77veteran's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/28/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

Great course with excellent greens and fairways.

"Best Course in North Augusta"

dsowisdr's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This course is an all around gem. The course is always in excellent condition from tee box to green. The staff is super friendly as well. I travel to Augusta, GA a lot for work and have played all the courses in the area. I find this to be the best all around. If you live in Augusta, GA or over the border in North Augusta this is a must play course for you. The course will challenge any level of golfer.

"Great all around course!"

tigerwoodslvr's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/27/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Course is always in great shape. Greens are always well maintained. Fairways and rough are always cut and managed. One of the best courses in the area without a doubt. The greens are really what stand out about this course. They roll true and fast. Course is located in a marsh type area so there is plenty of trouble if your not hitting the ball true. Its an overall good fun challenge.

"South Carolina course"

u000007202982's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/14/2016

Highly recommended great course, water holes, and friendly staff!

"Overbooked"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2016

Stayed backed up every whole very poor scheduling no buffer whatsoever! Paired with another group, not asked but told

"Rolling along The River Club"

rjmcanoe's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/02/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

One of the Central Savannah River Area's best clubs. Winter overseeded fairways, excellent greens, fine practice/warmup facilities, and great fellowship on a beautiful day. Played the middle tees (white) with 3 others. Conditions were crowded but really never slowed us up once we got started. With the wet conditions in the area over the last 6 weeks or so, I was expected the course to be less than optimal. It was surprised and pleased with the general conditions. Played one of my best rounds of the year thus far.

"Very Nice Course in the Augusta/Aiken Area"

drlgolf's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/03/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I have played this course many times. It remains one of the best conditioned courses in the area. Greens were redone about 3 years ago from bent to Bermuda and it has made all the difference in the world. Overall course conditions are great. I've not had the please of eating in the Clubhouse since I've mostly played in Tournament on their "off day." Still, I would imagine that the food is at least above average.

"Satisfied"

jamesbnice24's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/31/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I recently moved to town. As an avid golfer I decided to check out local courses. This course was the best of the bunch, staff was very friendly. They were busy which to me was a good sign. The staff asked me if I minded being paired up because it was so busy and wanted my round to be more enjoyable. I was paired up with a twosome of members, glad I was, we had a great time. The course was in wonderful condition with more than a few beautiful holes. I'll be back, possibly as a member! Great deal for the money.

"Nice play to play during the Masters, or the rest of the year"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

It's overseeded, so it's a great choice to play if you're in town for the Masters. Not to be confused with Augusta, of course, it's still a real enjoyable experience. Laid out along the Savannah River, it's pretty, challenging and peaceful. Nice clubhouse, too.

"Strange rules regarding walkers"

gramcaster's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/25/2014
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Poor weather

Weather was extremely cold and windy this particular day so I and two other golfers were looking for a place not to difficult to walk. Have played the River Club many times in the past but never walked it. Always a great course in great condition, but also always seems to be at least one golf staff or restaurant staff member who exhibits a rude and unfriendly attitude. Get the feeling employees do not feel valued by management.

In any event I and two partners brought our own high dollar push carts and shelled out $40 plus to walk. As we headed to first tee a golf staff member approached and said the club prohibits use of personal push carts and told us we had to use the most hideous cheap looking 2-wheel plastic pull carts you have ever seen. I had to ask what the rationale was and was smugly told the golf director made this rule 4 years ago and that's the way it is...use their cheap plastic carts or carry your bag. We took option 3...refund of our money and went to Forest Hills where they treated us like they were glad to have our business, gladly took our money and allowed us to use our 3 wheel push carts. I will complement the young man who refunded our money as he was gracious and courteous, even though he had no answer for why someone would make you put a beautiful 3 wheel push cart away and use a hideously cheap looking 2 wheel cart that is tough to pull around for us old folks...

While I have nothing but praise for the condition and playability of the River Club it is abundantly clear that the club continues to present the take it or leave it attitude that the locals often talk about in discussions of this golf facility and why they don't play there more. Shame. Could be a great place...

Commented on 08/08/2014

A bit snobbish if you ask me. Hideously cheap? Really? I've used their pull carts many times, they roll just fine, are light and easy to handle, and can be controlled with one finger. Not hideous at all. Really.