The Stadium Course at PGA West

• 56-150 PGA Blvd., La Quinta, CA 92253, Riverside County
  • www.pgawest.com

Year built: 1987
Architect(s): Pete Dye (1987)
Type: Public/Resort
Greens: Bermuda Grass
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

GPS: No

Practice hole: Yes

Dress code: No denim, collared shirt and bermuda shorts required
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is worth the drive at a resort convenient to the city   Great for advanced golfers a bucket list/top 100 pick a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers water hazards forced carries   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Stadium, not for the faint @ heart!"

nickesquire's avatar
California Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/18/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Played the Blues (6739/73.1/140) with Sparky14 in 4H. It was 4H because of a slow 4some in front of us the last 1/3 of the round, otherwise we could have finished in slightly more than 3H. Thanks to Steve for a fun round, laid back and easy going. The weather was bright, sunny and slightly below 100, with little breeze.

The tees were lush and mowed high. Only some par 3's needed divot repair.

The fairways were lush, few places with severe divots. Generally good lies in the fairways.

The rough was lush. What a difference a few days make. Last week the rough was lost ball deep and punitive, today it was mowed down a good 1.5 to 2" lower than last week and much easier to play from.

The plentiful sand traps were well maintained with good quality sand. There are many HUGE traps on this course, a few with 10' to 15' banks/lips to hit over. Avoiding the sand here is a MUCH higher priority than almost any other course I have played. An oddity is that the cart path runs the entire length of several waste bunkers. Therefore, you may well be playing off tire tracks if you hit into them.

The Bermuda greens putted consistently & medium speed. Very firm and relatively smooth for Bermuda.

Overall, this is a challenging layout and the conditions were well above average. The customer service was top notch. Cart gal around numerous times. Even playing the appropriate tees, the average golfer is probably going to shoot 3-5 strokes higher on this course than they are accustomed to. Numerous forces carries over or skirting water off fairways that are unlevel due to the mounding is challenging for the average golfer. Definitely recommended with the above in mind.

"A Beast!"

nickesquire's avatar
California Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/15/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Played the Blues (6739/73.1/140) with GDR23 and a father/son. POP was 4H, 15M in sunny, muggy conditions with at most a 1 club breeze part of the round.

Played better than my 1st attempt here, but enjoyed the course less. Typical Pete Dye design, numerous mounds and bunkers complete with challenging sight lines on almost every hole. You almost never have a level lie after your tee shot because of all the mounds/moguls. There is nothing about this course easy from tee to green.

The tees were lush and well maintained, only some par 3's had a decent amount of divot damage.

The fairways were lush, few places with severe divots.

The rough was lush. You could lose a ball you dropped if you went to your cart to change clubs and did not mark where you dropped it. Numerous delays looking for balls not that far off fairways for all players in our group on multiple holes. Created a POP issue, it was nasty and penal.

The plentiful sand traps were well maintained with good quality sand. There are many HUGE traps on this course, a few with 10' to 15' banks/lips to hit over. Avoiding the sand here is a MUCH higher priority than almost any other course I have ever played. An odd thing is that the cart path runs the entire length of several waste bunkers. So you may well be playing off tire tracks if you hit into them.

The Bermuda greens putted nice. Medium speed, very consistent, firm and relatively smooth for Bermda.

Overall, this is a challenging layout and the conditions were excellent. The customer service was top notch. Cart gal around numerous times. Even playing the appropriate tees, the average golfer is probably going to shoot 3-5 strokes higher on this course than they are accustomed to. Definitely recommended with the above in mind.

"PGA West Stadium Course"

John4318482's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/30/2017

Great conditions, great layout, great corse, tough course! Very enjoyable, nut make sure you bring your A game!

"Pete Dye Fun!"

BBob22's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/29/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

I arrived in Palm Springs in the middle of a massive heat wave across the West Coast. When checking in at PGA West, they told me that the course had taken a little beat of a beating and was not in the best shape (or upto their standards). They were very nice, and offered me a time on the Nicklaus Course. I had flown across the country and decided to stick with the stadium course. While there were some fairways that were beaten up, and the greens were clearly dehydrated, I was happy I decided to stay with the Stadium Course.

Despite the condition on some holes, the course was awesome. This is such a classic Pete Dye course with massive changes in elevation. You are rarely left with a flat lie on any fairway, making for a challenging day. The final stretch of holes is awesome with the 16th having a massive trap, and the famous Alcatraz on the 17th.

The staff was very nice. The starter was more than helpful and everyone who drove by was friendly and willing to offer. We did have an issue with one marshall who told us to speed up our pace of play when we were ahead of pace, but feel as if this was an outlier.

"True Test of Golf"

JPratty's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/22/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Got a good summertime rate since most of the round was played in the 100's temperature wise.

Played the tips to see where the Pros play and it was long and tough from back there. Makes you appreciate how good the pros really are. If you can stay in the fairways its obviously easier but there is always water or fairway bunkers lurking.

Course seemed burnt out for the most part on most holes during this time. Dont know if they kind of let it go after the tour stop comes through or what but other courses in the area were in a lot better shape. Greens were crusty as well but tee boxes were all in great shape.

Clubhouse has a bunch of apparel and the bar is awesome inside.

Will definitely take a shot again at this course when i make it back to the area.

"Comditioned well"

Bradpwm's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2017

This is the 2nd time I have played the course, I played because my playing partner had not played it before. The course to me is a little bit all the same, the holes are all a bit boring really, water carry par 3's and targeted par 4's but, that's a stadium course for you.

The course was conditioned pretty well although there were quite a few wet spots around in the fairways with little grass growth, summer right !

The thing that stuck out this time was the lack of service one you arrived in the car park, no bag drop, no one to arrange your clubs on carts. As we finished loading up out cart to go into the pro shop a guy drove past in a cart and said the first tee is over there. That was it. Disappointing.

"Great Day !"

golferkevint's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Started out with a not so friendly Terry in the club house, but the cart guys and the starter Jerry were awesome. Course was amazing, great value for the price. Shot a 78 from the whites so that made my day, greens putted true.

"Problems the PGA Stadium course has"

Ltjgbret's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2017

1. Could not see GPS because of the glare. Obviously no one has sat in the seat and tried to see it. It was not just my cart--- both of us said the same thing!

2. NO HELP after our round!!!! Very surprising!

3. "Crusty" sand bunkers

4. SLOW GREENS!!! Played two other courses in the area and they were faster!

5. EXCELLANT DRINKING WATER ONCOURSE! It seemed every other hole there was water!

6. Great layout!

I have played Sawgrass in Florida and we had none of these problems. It was an excellent experience!

"Great Course Poor Staff"

Sean5937873's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/21/2017

I play the Stadium course a few of times throughout the year. Course is exciting usually in very good condition and the weather is perfect. I do however question the management or lack of. Started at 1:03 on a Sunday afternoon. Cart girl sees us on the first hole and tells us she will see us in a few more so we pass on lunch and snacks. Don't See her again until the 9 the green. Snack bar at the 10 th tee is closed . Limited selection of food on the cart. My biggest complaint is the water coolers around the entire back nine were empty. Pretty warn day getting to about 107 having some water every 3 rd hole is important. This is a world class facility even prisoners have access to water. Luckily were are relatively young and able to tough it out . Seems kind of bush leagues that this would happen. Usually rangers are driving around with water did not see one of them either .

Commented on 05/24/2017

Thank you for the feedback regarding your round on the Stadium course at PGA West. Please know we take all comments very seriously and are continuously striving to improve our guests' experience. While we are proud of the many positive comments regarding all PGA West Courses, based on your comments we did not live up to your expectations on your most recent visit and we are very sorry to hear that. We would like to invite you back so that we may have another opportunity to provide you with the experience you have come to expect from PGA West. Please contact our Director of Golf at (760) 564-7105. Thank you.

"Stadium to avoid"

geneheadjr's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/18/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Golf should be challenging but it should also be fair. I do not mind obstacles and hazards, but I would like to know they are there before I reach them after what I thought was a good shot. The Stadium Course is designed to make you go back to playing tennis. This is a course that takes the fun out of golf. Again, I value a good challenge, but I not appreciate or value an unfair course. Pete Dye is a masterful designer, but this is a course I would not recommend to the average golfer. You should be rewarded for good play, but you are not. You should be rewarded for hitting a great tee shot, but you are not. There is trouble you cannot see and you are penalized even when you hit the ball right where you meant to. Great staff, great staff. Did not enjoy the course. Unfair design.

"memorable"

cortob21's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/04/2017

Definitely coming back. Great course. Great experience. We'll talk about it for a while. It is a challenge. Bring extra balls. But oh what fun.

"Beautiful, tough as nails"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2017

Have been coming to Palm Springs for several years. Always play PGA West. Love the course but it is very very hard.

"PGA West is first class"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2017

PGA West is a fantastic golf facility. The Nicholas Course and Stadium Course at the same clubhouse. The Stadium Course is very challenging. You will need to play it a couple of times to figure out where to hit the ball in the fairway and on the greens.

The conditions are excellent.

vspearscpa's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/20/2017

"Bring your 'A' Game!"

u000001929274's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2017

It's a course that is tougher than it needs to be for the average golfer.

I know the Career Builder has their tourney on it, but playing from the forward tees was tough enough!

Not sure I'd play it again, but this one time was for the experience

If you don't have your 'A' game when you play it, you're hooped!

I wouldn't recommend this course to a novice

"Play where the pros play!"

TylerEaston's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/10/2017

Really fun to play where the pros play...tee boxes were perfect, fairways were buttery, greens rolled true! Such a good value for the amount of legit champion golf you get in one round.

"Always a challenge!"

JDep's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/10/2017

I have played several rounds at the Stadium Course and each time I learn more about the place. It is definitely a thinking player's place, one learns to have the utmost respect for Pete's design. I highly recommend purchasing a yardage book in the Pro Shop.

However, our last round there was a bit disturbing. We had a noon t time with no one in front of us and a group 3 holes behind. Great pace of play! At the 6th hole we were informed by a ranger that we were 12 minutes behind. The GPS on our cart said we were 16 minutes ahead and we could not figure out who we were holding up! Needless to say we heeded to the warning and picked up the pace. Three holes later we were approached by another ranger who said "we were doing fine on time and were well clear of the group behind. On the 11th we were warned by a 3rd ranger and told we were on the clock (our GPS showed us 34 minutes ahead). We were then followed by a Community Patrol Security Guard that followed us to 17th hole. Maybe they thought we were going to break into someone's home! We finished the round in 4 hrs 3 minutes. Pretty good time for a foursome of 3 men and 1 woman! This was also the first time playing the course for 2 members of our group. With all this said, it hasn't changed my opinion of the course and I will continue to play it but, I think PGA West needs to do a better job at managing play.

"amazing"

debrabaker629's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2017

watched this course on tv for years! enjoyed all 5 hours on the course. extremely difficult on and around the greens! everyone should play it once!

"17th hole the island green"

bell64's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

was one of the most challenging courses I have played, when I go back I will play it again.

"Fabulous Course, great amenities, great staff."

publicgolfhack's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2017

I've wanted to play The Stadium Course at PGA West for so long - it was worth the wait! The course was magnificent - challenging but fair - with interesting doglegs, elevation changes and well-placed hazards. The conditions were pristine - I'm not sure there was a blade of grass out of place. And as a decent (not good, but decent) female golfer, there were ample tee boxes from which to choose to play. Women golfers don't always get fair tee boxes especially at resorts.

And while I was golfing, my best friend (a non-golfer but avid UNC basketball fan) needed a place to watch the Tarheels play so we decided she'd come to PGA West with me. She read a book (and drank fun cocktails) before the game in a beautiful outdoor area overlooking the course, then she watched the game on a huge screen TV in a great bar.

We both could not have had a better time! Don't miss playing this course!