Pinehurst Resort & Country Club - No. 2

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

U.S. Open 70 7588 yards 76.5 138
Green (W) 72 5801 yards 73.5 130

Average Rating 4.9 stars from 5

Location is at a resort worth the drive   Great for a bucket list/top 100 pick advanced golfers a weekend splurge   Challenges include undulating greens bunkers   Great for drinks brunch patio dining

"Amazing facility!"

krtgolfing's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/19/2017
First time playing Walked Perfect weather

First time visiting pinehurst and what a great experience. Played course 4 on Saturday and course 2 on Sunday. The course could not have been in any more perfect condition. Caddie I had was fantastic. On a few greens I was like there is no way to breaks that much, but I believed the caddie and putted great. Take course medicine when you miss the greens. Just get in on the green and take your two putt for bogey. Do not be the guy hitting the impossible shot as a bad chip on this course could leave you in worst shape than before. I will be back soon!

"Unlike any course on the planet"

eckrueger's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/06/2017
First time playing Walked Perfect weather

Deceptively forgiving off the tee but even more deceptively penal around the greens. Fairways are generous and the waste areas are very playable. Precise approaches are rewarded but anything less than that will be rejected and makes for a difficult up and down. Greens are difficult to read but every putt stays on line. This was the most mentally taxing round of golf I've ever played, there are no "easy" holes.

The course is extremely walkable. If possible, would absolutely recommend walking and taking a caddie. One other thing that isn't immediately intuitive is that if you have enough length off the tee (i.e. If you hit driver more than 250), I would recommend playing the blue tees instead of the whites as you will frequently have better angles to the already reasonably wide fairways. This is particularly important as the angle of approaches to these challenging greens makes more difference than perhaps any other course I've played.

No. 2 is a true "bucket list" course. If you are able, I would not hesitate to play this truly unique track.

"Dopey greens"

fowlhunter's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/13/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Want to start by saying that I am hereby reviewing the golf course...not the total golf experience, which would include the clubhouse, the history (Ross, US Opens), the pro shop, the practice facilities, etc. So here we go: tee to green, quite good, esp. after the work done in '12 or '13...fair and playable. However, the greens are silly severe, primarily because they shave the slopes to encourage the ball to ran down, off, and away a significant distance. A great many players just cannot handle the contours...met a scratch golfer who, counting them all, shot 85. (I have a running bet with any of my friends who play it: I'll bet you can't get to within 10 shots of your handicap counting them all...no picking up and taking a double after you've just putted the ball off the green). Worth a play once for bucket list purposes, but just not worth the $ to me. Go play 7, 8, or 9(!), or Dormie or Mid South if the greens are rolling nice, at a fraction of the price of 2.

Commented on 02/20/2017

Sounds like your scratch golf lied or had an off day. I shot a 81, but scored better than I hit the ball. Course number 4 has the saucer greens as well. Scored better on #2 than #4.

Commented on 07/21/2016

A bit harsh here no? The whole point of this golf course is that it plays really fair tee to green and challenges you around the greens. That's the genius of the design. Just because your score went up doesn't mean you should ding the rating of one of the best facilities in the world.

"#2"

CDF21's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Got the chance to play #2 with some of my friends and absolutely loved it! took caddies and i totally recommend it so worth the money.

"About the experience, not the score"

BrandonWebb's avatar
Birmingham Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/20/2016

No.2 is a very polarizing golf course. I think the players that don't have good things to say upon putting out on #18 has more to do with what they shot. My best advice to a player of any skill level before teeing up here is to temper your expectations in relation to the scorecard. I take my golf very seriously, especially on brass ring tracks, but telling myself that I was not going to get frustrated by my score at the end of the day was the best thing I could have done. My round was more about sharing this experience with my 14-year-old son. It was about listening to the stories our caddy shared about the course. It was about trying to beat the fading daylight walking up the 18th fairway to finish. It was about sitting in the glow of moonlight on the veranda a few minutes later and burning the day's round into my memory over a cold beer. Yes, the greens are diabolical. That's why you come. I, too, putted a ball across and off a green. Embrace it! I normally break 80, but shot 86 with three double bogies. Here's two more pieces of advice to anyone playing here for the first time: 1) play to the middle of greens. Shots will hold if struck well to the middle of most greens. 2) practice putting balls from off the green up dramatic slopes. That is a shot I am just not accustomed to playing in my area and are difficult to gauge. Being comfortable with this type of shot can save you 5 shots in my opinion.

"checked one off the bucket list"

sd014808's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/30/2016

Gor the chance to play #2 and could not have been more impressed with the course. Lots of talk about how its not as appealing to the eye as it used to be.... To each their own but I absolutely loved it. The course is as fair as a "Major Championship" course should be. The fairways are wide enough but being on your tee game will help setup an imperative part of what will make or break your day,approach shots in to some of the most diabolical green complexes I've ever played. Even with the course "dumbed down" for us everyday amatuers if you missed on the wrong side of the hole getting up and down was very difficult,typical of a Donald Ross design. I loved it and look forward to another trip back.

"Best course in the country"

Hollister3121's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/18/2015
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Wow, #2 is a true gem. The experience in the clubhouse, the people in the clubhouse and the facilities at No. 2 are unmatched. The course is immaculate and very playable. The back nine is easier than the front nine and it's almost impossible to lose to a golf ball which really makes it "scoreable." I played here for 36 holes with my Dad. We had caddies for both rounds #Bob and Adam# and they were just awesome on the bag. A caddie is a must as there are reads on the greens you simply can't see ##11 for example.# The greens can be quite punishing if you pin seek the wrong pin placements but it's a true, fair test which I can't wait to go back and play again and again. Worth every penny. Get there early to practice and get used to the greens.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"It's a beautiful day at Pinehurst"

MikeRitzGC's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2015
Previously played Played as a single Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

As the saying goes: “It’s a beautiful day at Pinehurst.” Well, that’s an understatement. The golf is second to none; and the resort defines “the lap of luxury.”

I recently stayed at Pinehurst so I could play Donald Ross’s historic Number 2 for the first time since the stunning restoration by Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw. I played it exactly one year after Number 2 hosted both the U.S. Men’s and Women’s Opens. The only difference from what everyone saw on TV those two weeks was that the course was beautifully lush and green. Yet, incredibly, it still played as the firmest, fastest course I’ve ever experienced anywhere in the world.

Those conditions make Pinehurst No. 2 so demanding. When hitting approach shots into the very firm greens in regulation, the actual landing areas are much smaller than the size of the greens. If you don’t hit your approach into the proper spot, with the proper trajectory, your ball is bound to run off far from the hole, probably off the green.

As all have seen on television, the green complexes at No. 2 are unlike any to be found in America. They harken back to Royal Dornoch, in The Scottish Highlands, where Donald Ross grew up and started his career. False fronts, false sides, false backs. When I played (missing many a green), what struck me the most was how different you must play your pitches and chips around the greens. The ground and grass are so firm, you can actually hear a short pitch shot land on the green.<br/> The entire experience is delightful. It’s not that you must be creative, but it’s that you get to be creative.<br/> Playing Pinehurst No. 2, walking with a caddie, is one of the greatest experiences a golfer can enjoy. The course is gorgeous. Every hole sets up wonderfully from the tee. No surprises — no tricks. Just perfect fairways winding through the tall pines and restored “natural areas.”

Donald Ross considers No. 2 his greatest accomplishment. He loved it so much that he made his home here. The course presents a complete test of the game. In a sense, you’ve got to play each hole backwards. Know where the pin is, then understand what angle you’ll need to approach it. That will then determine where you want to hit your tee shot. To be successful you must think your way around the course. And you will probably hit every club in your bag. It’s no wonder the United States Golf Association has decided to make Pinehurst No. 2 a part of its U.S. Open rotation.

To top it off is the Pinehurst Resort, itself. I was lucky enough to stay at The Carolina Hotel, the centerpiece of the resort for some 100 years. The old southern charm combined with an incredibly professional, pleasant and helpful staff and fabulous food make you feel quite special.

There are now nine courses at Pinehurst. You can fly into Raleigh/Durham and the resort will send a van to pick you up. And once at the resort, a very well-oiled shuttle system can get you anywhere on the property quickly and efficiently. You could easily spend nine days there, play a different course every day and not worry about a rental car or where to eat. Just bring your clubs and a game. And, try to not hold up the group behind you when you stop to take all of those pictures.

Commented on 09/11/2016

Perfectly said! Tough track but imminently playable and a perfect walking course, too. I played from the blue tees most of which were well within 50 yards of the tips and two of the par fives the pros play as par fours, and still I didn't get within 15 strikes of my handicap due to extra strokes getting up and down--and I had four one putts. Shame it's so darned expensive--I'd love to take several more cracks at it!

"The crown jewel"

Grizstacksbirdies's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2015
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

The third course of our Father's Day trip did not disappoint.

We showed up 90 min before our tee time to walk the halls and soak in the history of #2. We met our caddie (Kevin) in the basement who took our bags up to the range. Kevin grabbed a couple bags of balls and got us all set up on the range. Kevin cleaned the clubs when done on the range, exacatly what you expect from a caddie. Kevin took the time to know us and our game. Kevin then took us over to the #2 chipping green, which mimics #2 greens, which are different than the main putting green.

The course is an easy walk (its cart path only), suggest taking a walking caddie.

The course is a resort course and is playable (ie not a US Open setup).

Be in the fairway, the fairways are waste lined with Donald Ross's wiregrass, which if you have never have hit out of, its slows the club down.

Pin seeking is not a good idea, you will get the full Ross experience otherwise. The greens are fast and pending where you hit the ball on the turtleback, will be rejected. Good stat to keep track of, greens hit, ball rejected.

Good photo opportunity is on the 18th tee box at the tips/ get in the 16th fairway and look up 18.

Be sure to get your photo next to Payne after the round and have a drink on the patio.

"Bucket List Round"

CheshireDog's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes Average weather

I absolutely loved my Pinehurst experience. My wife and I stayed at the Carolina Hotel for three days on our trip. Our entire experience was filled with hospitality and class. My caddy, Brad, made my experience on #2 even more memorable. We plan on returning this fall. The breakfast buffet at the Carolina Hotel is not to be missed.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Expensive - but should play once"

Hammertime44's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2015
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I played in a twosome here. Course was in perfect shape. Caddies were fantastic. Friendly, helpful, really enjoyed the round with us. Greens were impeccable. Great experience all around. The clubhouse is huge! I recommend going to play this course. However, this enjoyment comes with a large sticker price. For the cost, I would only play this course once. One and done..check. Was still a great round on a great historic course. I've played better though.

"Bucket list #3"

QueenoftheGreen63's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/13/2014

This course was all it was described to me and more. I've learned that no matter your skill level, you can play any course if you have the determination, drive and love for the game. I may not be greatest golfer, but I have a 100 course bucket list and pinehurst #2 was 3rd after Pebble beach Links and Torrey Pines South. I fell in love with Pinehurst in general but playing number 2 was a dream come true, being from Florida I was used to a lot of sand bunkers, but this was lined with them, I will admit I hit a lot of shots from the sand, but kept up with other golfers in group and had an amazing time. Life is short and this course and pinehurst in general is worth very penny. The feeling you get when you hit off first tee and the last putt on the 18th is something only a devote golfer could understand. I also played #4 which was beautiful in itself. If you can get to Pinehurst, please do, it will be worth your time and money.

"Pinehurst No. 2 a gem"

WillGrayGC's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Had a great time getting out to Pinehurst No. 2 last month, and it was my first chance to see the course since the Coore/Crenshaw re-design. The course is in great shape, and the lack of rough presents both a unique look and challenge, even among the top-tier layouts in the U.S.

As with many Ross designs, the greens are the true star and that is certainly the case with No. 2. Turtlebacks and shelves wreak havoc on your approach shots, and they certainly test your short game. But it's a refreshing change from long rough and lob wedges from around the greens.

The sandy waste areas do a great job now of visually shaping the holes from the tee box, and lending a backdrop to a wonderful venue. Listening to your caddie on where to aim will certainly save you some strokes.

Pinehurst's facility is nearly unmatched in the U.S., and No. 2 is the star of the show. Certainly a great bucket list course and one that I look forward to seeing again.

"Pinehurst No. 2 is a national treasure"

MattAdamsGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2014
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Pinehurst No. 2 is a national treasure. While the Donald Ross’ gem always retained it dignity and challenge, as evidenced by it’s hosting a historic and a compelling U.S. Open championships in 1999 and 2005 (plus many, many other important tournaments, including the 2014 U.S. Open and U.S. Women’s Open in 2014), discussions of individual holes were always predicated with, “…when it was originally designed, it was…”. Well, after the Coore & Crenshaw restoration what was, once again, is. Their efforts brilliantly allowed the course to bloom anew. The rough is defined by vast sandy areas and wire grasses, allowing fortune it’s fancy, but it the revelation of the Ross’ ingenious original shaping and tee to green artistry will be the restoration’s lasting legacy. While the par 3, 17th hole and difficult par 4, 18th hole will garner most of the attention at the 2014 U.S. Open, my favorite stretch of holes are 389 yard, par 4, 3rd hole, 569 yard, par 5, 4th hole and 476 yard, par 4, 5th hole. Each stands alone in it’s design merits and challenges utilizing the natural slopes of the land in perfect harmony with green contours and bunkering.

"Seriously!"

ormerod1969's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/28/2014
First time playing Walked Average weather

Loved Pinehurst, loved the history and #2.

Played here in January, lucked out and had a nice day (the next day it snowed), played with a buddy and two locals, the course is a design masterpiece, very difficult but fair.

My Caddy was Rocky, great guy, would recommend him.

"The new-look Pinehurst No. 2 better than ever"

JasonDeeganGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/21/2013
Previously played Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

The restoration of Pinehurst No. 2 in 2011 enhanced this Donald Ross original. The minimalist team of Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw used old aerial photos from the nearby Tufts Archives as their guide to create a visually stimulating, more strategic course ready for the back-to-back U.S. Open and U.S. Women’s Open in June. It's still one of the best walks in all of golf.<br/> They replaced 26 acres of rough with sandy, hardpan waste areas armed with pine needles and hand-planted wiregrass.<br/> Wider fairways will play firmer and faster, where shots off-line could sit up nicely or nestle into a trouble. Eight new tees added less than 100 yards in length, although one will transform the signature par-4 fifth hole into a par-5 for the Open. The virtually untouched inverted saucer greens (several were tweaked) are as perplexing as ever.<br/> Over the years, Pinehurst No. 2 has hosted the 1999 and 2005 U.S. Opens, the 1991 and 1992 PGA TOUR championships, the 1951 Ryder Cup, the 1938 PGA Championship and countless prestigious amateur events.

Commented on 11/23/2016

Great review Jason

"#2"

BPD2577's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/02/2013

The redesign on Pinehurst #2 is excellent. Native grasses and indigenous sand dunes have made for a very natural feeling upgrade to Donald's masterpiece. Tee to green Pinehurst is excellent and the course doesn't begin until you get to the greens. A unique golf experience, Pinehurst is a wonderful US Open venue that presents different challenges then most classic US Open designs with thick rough etc. Having access to Pinehurst is great, BUT it is run like a corporate money grab. The range and practice facilities are in poor shape, the pace of play is slow and some of the character and charm is lost as it is run more like a factory then a golf club. None of this overshadows the course itself, but the overall experience could be even better.

"A whole new No. 2"

BrandonTuckerGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/08/2013
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I had the chance to play Pinehurst No. 2 in 2010, right before they closed it to restore it back to its sandier look, then again about a month or so after it reopened a year later.

To say it's a much more interesting golf course now would be an understatement. Holes that seemingly seemed like an average, run-of-the-mill Carolina course with rough and lined with pines suddenly came alive. The greens have always been the highlight, but now the course looks really cool off the tee, too.

I had a caddie who helped me knock in a bunch of putts on the greens and, from the regular tees, this course isn't a terribly difficult play for average golfers like myself as long as you can find your ball off the tee and not do anything too silly around the greens. I even walked off the 16th hole with an eagle (I know, the US Open plays it as a par 4 - but daily play calls it a 5 and I'm sticking to it).

I know the $400-plus green fee is a lot to ask of some folks, so even if you don't have the cash, I'd recommend stopping into the clubhouse and having lunch or playing one of the more affordable of the five courses onsite. Be sure to hang out in the old village for a day, too. It's really one of the neatest places a golfer can go in the U.S.

It's going to be great to watch Mickelson & the gang try and recover from these sandy areas in the U.S. Open, and then again for the women just a week later.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Upturned bowl greens add to the fun"

Naree's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2013
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

I wouldn't say Pinehurst No. 2 is the only standout course on property but if you're going to play only one course while you're in town, you might as well play number 2 because of all the history. The upturned bowl greens and false fronts put a premium on approach shots and short game (especially chipping). When the ground is firm and rough is absent from around the greens, consider putting if chipping from tight lies isn't your thing. Regardless of your caliber of play, I'd say the charm and challenge of this course rests mostly in the approach shots and short game, providing the course isn't prepping for a major championship by letting the gnarly rough grow. Bottom line: I definitely recommend and look forward to returning later this year.