Heritage Club, The

Type: Public
Greens: Champion Ultra
Fairways: Dwarf Bermuda

Walking allowed: No
Dress code: Proper golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 4.5 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive   Great for group getaways   Challenges include undulating greens water hazards   Great for drinks

"Nice place, but they must fix the pace of play"

PSexton1's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/10/2017
First time playing Used cart

Played 18 holes at The Heritage in March 2017. Lovely upon arrival, everything looked good. Large crowd at the bag drop should have made me nervous, but I remained oblivious. The round took over 5 1/2 hours. We waited every single shot. Barely finished in twilight, although we teed off at 1pm. I politely complained to the staff when we finished, and was told it would be passed on, but I'd have better luck by posting this review. 65000 rounds per year are pushed through (according to staff), so often 3 groups on a single hole. It's a nice course, wonderful design. A little beat up on the greens from traffic. I had planned to buy a hat, or something, but the place was shut down when we finished, although I'd already decided not to due to aforementioned SLOW PLAY. Never saw a marshall. The point of this is that the slow play is caused by the course, not the players. Avoid this one if you like to play with any kind of rhythm.

"Hole-in-One for a Par"

captaintrc's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/01/2017

On March 1, 2017, I was playing with three friends when a very unusual event occurred. I am 68 years old and have been playing golf for 55 years. On Hole #6, a par 3 playing approximately 130 yards that day, I hit my first ball OB. I teed up another ball and hit it in the hole for a PAR. I have never had a Hole-in-One, and I still don't. However I don't imagine this is a common way to par a hole. My bag tag # for that day was 576277

"New favorite course in Pawleys Island"

Keith0709's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/02/2017

I was staying for the week just down the road at Litchfeild by the sea and made a tee time here. This 1986 Dan Maples masterpiece is great course with lots of water and swamps. The Heritage Club sign outside with the moss gives a nice touch as you walk into one of the premier public courses in Pawleys Island. As I arrived the staff was wonderful and got tons of balls on the range. The facilities where great and really liked the way the clubhouse was designed.

The Marshall on the first tee was very nice and told us about the pin positions and where you could and could not drive out. The weather the day my group played it was wet and humid but it wasn't to bad. The course itself wasn't in the best shape in Myrtle beach but the layout was fantastic, with the big trees and swampy areas through the course which I would image is loaded with crocs in the summer. The greens and bunkers where good and rough was thick.

The food in the clubhouse was OK but if you want really good food I would suggest that you go to Moe's BBQ down the road a few minutes. Overall for Winter conditions I liked the course but would recommend going in the spring or even the summer for conditions.

"Heritage a Home Run"

JackStraw6's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

I've found my favorite course in Mrytle Beach.From the first hole til the eighteenth this course is a gem.Fairways a 10, greens a 10,and the tee boxes a 10 also. Huge oaks shape the holes and water comes in to play on half of them. The par threes were all mid-irons which is perfect for the mid-handicapper. A lot of courses down here seem to try to make up for the short par 4's down here with 200 yd par 3's. Not here.Compared to the other courses in the area the price is a steal. Beautiful picturesque pleasing to the eye golf course. Will definitely be back.

"Tough greens here but decent track!"

zbuechner4's avatar
Atlanta Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/04/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

This course can play very difficult and can almost seem unfair (but I think I just played bad). With many approach shots, I ended up on the wrong part of the greens forcing 3-putts. The severe undulations in the greens are the courses best defense and I struggled here for that reason. That in combination with the flow of the grain made my day pretty bad but it's not necessarily the courses fault. It's a decent layout with a lot of doglegs and very few driver holes. Overall, with the meals/drinks you get with your round here, it's a good addition to a golfers trip. This is definitely a course that you need to play 3 or 4 times before really being able to go low. I wish I could've had better success!

"A good deal of a round when food is added!"

zbuechner4's avatar
Atlanta Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/04/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

The layout here reminds me of a less-exciting Caledonia golf course. Less elevation change and less esthetically pleasing due to the neighborhood that it sits on. (Although I will say, the houses here are quite extravagant) The food that is included in your round here is pretty good and can make a round of golf feel better. The greens here are tough to read, spend extra time learning how to hit into/against the grain and your day will be much easier. Overall, a good round of golf on Pawleys Island especially with a few scenic island greens that really are fun to challenge.

"Nice Course Fairly Easy but challenging"

Accampbellcustoms's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/27/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

The course was in good shape. The fairways are very spacious some of them must be 50 yards wide making the old adage grip it and rip it lots of fun. The greens didn't hold shots as well as other greens we'd played around the area. They seem like they had been re-done with new grass and were very firm even though it had rained for several days. SW or LW with lots of spin that would normally stop or spin back would release several feet. Add to this that a lot of the greens slope away from you adds to the challenge of getting the ball close to pin.

"Nice Course, Bad Weather"

Robert1491937's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/16/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Poor weather

This is a really nice layout that was in really good shape for the winter, but we got caught by the weather. Tees and greens were fine and the fairways were full of grass. Rough was a little patchy, but it in the dead of winter, so no complaints. Should have stayed out of the rough anyway. Did not handle the rain very well, but the course was saturated by weeks of rain before we arrived. Definitely will play again.

"A Beautiful Day On A Beautiful Course!"

Lucky1973's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/30/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I really enjoyed my day at Heritage! My wife and I were paired with some longtime members who guided us around the course like seasoned caddies. I suspect the local knowledge saved me at least 5 shots.... and allowed me to shoot a very good score from the back tees.

The course layout is picturesque, and the condition of the course was excellent! The greens rolled very true at a very comfortable almost fast speed. Judging the mounds and levels on the greens was fairly challenging but the greens were so consistent it was pretty easy to adapt.

The staff was friendly and the (included) lunch afterwards was tasty.

I'll be back!

"LOVE LOVE LOVE This Golf Course"

pwa93's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Have played 40+ golf course in the Grand Strand area and this was my favorite course I have played. Got a rate of $54 with cart, any menu items and two beers. How do you beat that?

When we arrived the bag drop was busy but will organized and they shuttle you from parking lot to the club house. Course was booked solid but they are very well organized and told us we had time for our free lunch and beers if we wanted as the coupon is only good until 3pm. We had an amazing lunch then went to start area.

Starter really know what he was doing and keep things moving and sending people out. We were a two some and got paired with a regular single that was a great guy and gave us the tips on each hole.

The course was in amazing condition. Greens were perfect, running 9 on the meter. Fairways were a bit long but only because they had had 8 days of some rain and mowing had been difficult. But the course is amazing. All the holes have something to offer in terms of shot placement or carries or just plan fun. Hole 18 is amazing. Watch out for all the gators on the course.

"A Must Play"

u485919879's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/16/2015
Previously played Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

The course was wet after heavy rain the day and night before. This was cart path only, however, the course was is good condition throughout. Heritage has challenging green complexes with many humps and hollows. Staff was very pleasant, and the day's cost included a free lunch and 2 beers. Heritage remains an absolute favorite experience. This is an excellent design and an excellent value that will challenge golfers of all levels. If you like Caledonia and True Blue, play Heritage. It's less expensive but is a solid overall experience. Highly recommended.

"Beautiful challenging and always worth seeing"

714AP2guy's avatar
Charlotte Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/17/2014

Absolutely phenomenal layout a shotmaker's delight lots of options number of great tee boxes wonderful greens spectacular scenery a must see in the grand Strand area. Go play it. It's phenomenal

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Best Course on the Strand"

Bobemac's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

We were looking forward to playing here since it's rated as one of the best courses in the State and is also nationally recognized by Golf Digest.
From the minute we arrived, when the cart guys knew our name to the classic professionally run pro shop, we were impressed.
Then there's the golf course. There is a great variety of holes, the use of water and sand along with tricky undulating greens, there's challenges every where.
The golf course is in great condition from tee to green. There are some of the largest live oaks, pines and magnolias on the South Carolina coast right here.
There are numerous wildlife sightings, this course is like a nature preserve. There are so many alligators on the last five holes it looks like a gator farm.
Approaching the green on #18 I chili dipped my shot as a large gray furry mammal scuttled across the fairway in front of me. Who Dat?
We started early with the first tee time and we were paired with a nice couple from Canada.
We never had any issues with the rangers except kidding around. They were observing our progress but we played the front nine in just over two hours. When we made the turn there was no one on the tenth tee. We finished the 18 hole round in just over four hours, and this was on a holiday.
This is a beautiful, well managed golf course and should be included on any visit to Myrtle Beach.

"Un-flippin-believable!!"

adam8363963's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

What a beautiful and scenic course! It was like being in a movie setting. You literally feel like you are going back in time to a desolate setting. Beautiful!!! Worth the drive!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"My fave on our Myrtle Beach trip"

kfish64's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This course has proven to be the runaway favorite with our entire group. Always excellent condition, very friendly staff, and just overall superbly run. Many might think that, as part of the Legends group, it is lacking in some ways, but we find quite the opposite -- it seems to have what some of the other Legends courses are lacking. Each trip, we've played 36 holes here (back-to-back 18s on a day) and look forward to it as the highlight each year.

"Great Value and FUN"

djkarre's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/24/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

This course is part of the "Legends" group and they ALL are fabulous!! Remember, you can usually find a package that includes breakfast and lunch (and drinks!)/ Great location in the southern strand! Go here and Pawleys instead of Caledonia! Fabulous course - and you'll usually see alligators! Challenging but fair course in GREAT shape! "Legends courses" are ALWAYS worth the time and effort to play - often with great packages. VERY enjoyable!!!

"Top shelf course"

gizardmoe's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/7/2013

A true hidden gem as compared to true blue and caledonia, but not as expensive.

"Best course of the trip"

wgbatl's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 5/5/2013

We played five courses, and this was the most enjoyable. While more money than some of the other Pawley's options, the course is beautiful.

"Heritage golf-an excellent Low Countey course"

dcb11199's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 4/10/2013

Excellent and very challenging course in very good condition. The value is outstanding, because in addition to a round at about $100, it comes with either breakfast or lunch and 2 beverages . The day we played, unfortunately, was very slow due to a single group that delayed everyone, and an inability of the Marshall's to speed things up. Nevertheless, we would go back in a heartbeat

Commented on 08/12/2015

It is a great course. I too ran into slow play. 3:00 back 9. If there are "good ole boys" in front of you the ranger won't do anything about.

"Wonderful course."

Aubrey9442379's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 2/17/2013

The weather didn't cooperate with us, but it was still worth the cost. The staff had us do a shotgun start and this made it possible to play.