Canyon Lakes Golf Course & Brewery

• 640 Bollinger Canyon Way, San Ramon, California 94583
  • www.canyonlakesgolfbrew.com

Year built: 1987
Architect(s): Ted Robinson, Sr.
Type: Public
Greens: Rye grass
Fairways: Rye grass

Dress code: No Levi's or blue jeans; Golf shoes required; Collared shirts must be worn
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 3.7 stars from 5

Location is convenient to the city in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for locals advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include elevation changes narrow fairways water hazards   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views

"Too slow"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/19/2017

This is a nice looking course and definitely fun to play.

The fairways are not well manicured and the greens are a bit hard.

The main problem was that we waited almost at every shot. At one time there were 5 groups on a par 5.

The good news is that they seem to be injecting some money into the facility and that they have added a new brewery.

"Golf with Friends"

garciaem27's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2017

Its been wet with all the rain recently in California so the course was still drying out. The fairways produce good roll but you miss the fairway good luck getting up and down. The ground's crew have not been able to cut the rough so it can be penalizing. Good challenging course, accuracy is a premium. The greens were slow and bumpy so today we were aggressive.

Once we get the warm weather and course dries out... its a must play. I like the course layout, guess that's why I come back.

"Too Slow - No Marshalls"

GolferGrandma's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/14/2017

Beautiful day and the landscape was beautiful to look at. But, the pace of play was TOO slow. We had to wait at each hole ... even though we skipped one hole by passing three slow players.

"The course doesn't drain well."

dennystover's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/13/2017

Love the design & layout of the course, but even after all the warm, dry weather we've had recently, the course is still sloppy in a lot of areas. Most other courses are pretty dry & firm by now. Next time I'll wait until April or May before playing Canyon lakes. We were somewhat disappointed in the wet conditions. However, the new owners are making a concerted effort to bring the course back to it's previously lush condition.

ndorjath's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/10/2017

"Had a great time !"

noelsky's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/27/2017
Walked Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Course was rather wet and a bit muddy in some areas due to some rain the night before. The course was practically empty so pace was great and took my time. The wet condition made a bit more challenging ( car path only ) play but this place was just as good as the last time I played here a month ago.

"Extremely slow play and poor fairway conditions"

Narinder3016220's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/29/2017

Not the ideal outing. Course conditions extremely poor. No drainage and fairways are nothing but grown weeds.

"Muddy"

Thomas2696844's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/16/2017

I have played this course in dryer weather and it is target golf with some challenging shots. However this course does not drain well. The current state of the course is so wet and muddy it's almost unplayable.

"Frost delay"

Mary8314012's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/29/2016

I rated this course below average because of the pace of play. I understand frost delay and how it can set you back some, but this day was ridiculous. I think there should have been a starter on the first tee holding players up until the players in front of them were on the green, and then a Marshall controlling the pace of play. We waited on every single hole. No one played well, because there was no flow to the game. It was NOT a fun day at all!!!

"This course is a great one for beginners"

filamgolfaddict's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/09/2016
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

This course will challenge the new golfer and leave him wanting for more. The hilly and narrow fairways will keep anyone interested and not bored. Beware of poison ivy so limit your time looking for balls. The green does not roll true at some of the holes but that is what you get for a cheap price. Use the shorter tees to avoid frustration. The course was designed with in several neighborhoods so stay on cart path not to get lost.

"short and tricky"

15ironman's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/10/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

This very short course plays tricky with lots of tight doglegs and uphill shots to fairly protected greens. The greens run slow but have a great deal of brake. It is not a course to try to over power since the fairways get narrow around 240. A patient straight hitter will love it. Surrounded by quiet neighborhoods in the hills. I got a good deal on golf now.

If you want to play more challenging short course try Mare Island.

"Not as sold"

jmarsh5's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2016

The views were breath taking, but that's about were it stopped. First, they sold this place on their website as a top notch, exclusive course, but it was far from that. Then there is no driving range, just a few nets you can hit into to warm up. Now on the course itself, there were a lot of dead area on every hole and I mean large areas. There were multiple types of grass growing in the fairway when there was grass. The greens were inconsistent. The mowers wouldn't stop to let you play, meaning they would continue to go up and down the middle of the fairway. I would have been mad if I played here for more than $20. I will not be going back, that's for sure.

"Course Needs some work but coming along"

1212RM12's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/09/2016
Previously played Walked Played 9 holes Average weather

the course still needs work but it's coming along. i will give it a few months and check back.

"Great Course"

Travis2867423's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/08/2016

Fun layout that winds through the hills in San Ramon. I will definitely be back!!

"Course needs upcoming"

KennethCWong's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2016

Very friendly staff but the ground needs some maintenance.

"Good track, you will use all your clubs"

jimbob44f's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I arrived at this course on a Friday morning about 7:40 AM and was a bit surprised when a nice older gentlemen pulled up behind my vehicle, asked me if I was playing and if I had a tee time, the answer was yes, playing, but no, doing a walk on. He said I would have no problem getting out as soon as I wished and he left me a cart and said there were two mulligans in it......ha.

I went to check in and the starter put me out immediately with a twosome, so we teed off about just before 8:00 AM. Since we were a threesome, it took no time at all, even with one of the guys a rank beginner to catch the slow foursome ahead of us. I took several pictures of the course as it was my first time there. The course has some very interesting holes and it was in pretty good shape, fairways were a little sparse in a few areas, but since this is common in California right now, we just moved fairway hits to a grassy area. Its only fair if you are on a fairway, to be on grass. I thought the course was in excellent shape until I finally hit into a so called sand trap on the fifth hole. The sand is actually a combination of sand and wet clay in about 80% of the traps. Its difficult to get out of the traps and leave yourself any kind of a shot. On several occasions, as I got into 3 or 4 more of these devils, I hit a shot that dug a lump of clay out and on to the green, once the lump was nearly the size of my fist. This problem is being gradually taken care of, as there are sand traps that are normal sand, I just missed all of those, my playing partners were happier with the conditions in the repaired ones when they got into them.

I did enjoy the round, even though it took me 4-1/2 hours to play, enough that I played a second and because it went so fast, a third round that day, as they only charge a cart fee of $15 for a replay. The second round only took 2-1/2 hours to play as I caught a fast twosome on the 10th hole and NOBODY was ahead of us for the rest of the round. The third round went well as I caught a single on the 5th hole and the two of us played behind a twosome for the next 13 to finish at 6:15. Not bad, three rounds of golf in 10 hours and 25 minutes.

I will play there again in the future, and take some of my golf buddies from San Jose as its a good layout and I had a grand time. I like the layout, I really enjoy playing courses that are not flat, this one certainly is not. There are lots of elevation changes making it an interesting course, challenging greens and lots and lots of trouble if you are not on your game.

"Goof Course with a different layout than many"

treeranger's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2016

First time playing this course and it was somewhat demanding and required some shots to land in specific areas for scoring. Nice elevation changes with water hazards on a few holes. Back nine seemed harder than the front, but it had some great views. Would play this course more often if it was closer to where we live, so will probably only get there once or twice per year.

"WHAT A DIFFERENCE A FEW YEARS MAKE"

brucep2's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I last played this course when they first opened, there were very few houses on it, or around it. Other than #10 and 11, I didn't remember any other holes. The course played to my liking: firm fairways, lots of roll, with putting surfaces soft enough to stick approach shots. With that said, it's hard to expect a pristine course in California, deeming the drought, yet I never once had to take a drop. I would definitely play again, very soon!! Played one of my best rounds there!!

"Excellent pace of play"

bmorris733's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/10/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Greens are in excellent condition. Course is a bit dry so the ball will roll a long way especially if you are on the edge of the fairway, not always a good thing. Played as a 3 some and finished in about 3.5 hours. Never ran into anyone the entire day and had a couple of singles play through. Bunker sand is poor at best. Looks like they have replaced several bunkers and are working on several more but most sand is thin and heavy to say the least.

"A nice round"

sch3's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/02/2016

Played on a Tuesday morning, the course was not busy so there was pretty much no waiting. The course was fairly well maintained, though not very green due to the California drought. There are a few rather challenging holes but they're fair.