ChampionsGate - National Golf Club

3.9190000000 3.9 stars from 5 (457)

• 1400 Masters Blvd., ChampionsGate, Orlando, Florida 33896, Orange County
  • (888) 558-9301, (407) 787-4653
  • www.championsgategolf.com

Year built: 2000
Architect(s): Greg Norman (2000)
Type: Semi-Private/Resort
Style: Traditional/Parkland
Greens: Floradwarf/Poatrivialus
Fairways: GN1 Bermuda

GPS: Yes

Practice bunker: Yes
Golf school / academy: Yes - "Leadbetter Golf Academy"

Dress code: Shirts with collars and sleeves; slacks or Bermuda shorts are considered appropriate attire. No tank tops, tee shirts, fishnet tops, cut-offs, sweat pants, warm up suits, blue jeans or denim shorts, tennis shorts, short shorts, or other athletic shorts
Credit cards accepted: Amex MasterCard Visa Discover card(s) Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 3.9 stars from 5

Location is at a resort near local attractions convenient to the city   Great for advanced golfers playing multiple courses a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers water hazards forced carries   Great for drinks patio dining watching the game

"Really Nice Course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/21/2017

Really nice course to play. This was my first time playing and I was told that there are two courses on the property. the International and National courses. I played the National course. The course had a great layout. Some of the tee boxes needed repair. The greens and fairways were in very good shape. The greens were good and fast, but not too fast. I would definitely play this course again and maybe try the International course, which they say is harder.

Response from ChampionsGate Golf Club on 03/23/2017:

Wonderful! We're pleased that you enjoyed your first time with us at ChampionsGate. We're glad that you enjoyed our National course layout and we appreciate your feedback on our tee boxes. We hope to have you back soon for a round on our International course!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2017

Response from ChampionsGate Golf Club on 03/22/2017:

Outstanding! Glad you enjoyed your experience at ChampionsGate!

"Small greens"

Daniel5000832's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2017

The greens were too small, ridiculous really, they were not in good shape and the fairways were awful, won't return.

Course Layout: Poor

Response from ChampionsGate Golf Club on 03/20/2017:

Thank for your review! We apologize that you did not enjoy your round with us. We're sorry that our fairways were not in the condition that you prefer. We are actually replacing our National greens this summer. This will help them return to their original size and shape. We definitely recommend you try them out this fall. We appreciate all of your feedback and we hope you will give us another try in the future!

Wayne6466848's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/17/2017

Response from ChampionsGate Golf Club on 03/20/2017:

Thank your for your 3 star rating! We're glad that you enjoyed your time with us!

"Challenging course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2017

Course was in very good condition and challenging. Staff were knowledgeable and professional. Would recommend this course.

Response from ChampionsGate Golf Club on 03/23/2017:

Thanks for your review! We're glad that you enjoyed our course conditions and the challenge our course presented. We're also pleased that our staff left a great impression on you. Can't wait to have you back soon!

gpeach's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2017

Response from ChampionsGate Golf Club on 03/20/2017:

Awesome! Glad you enjoyed your experience at ChampionsGate!

"Quality Course"

Frankeccles's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2017

This course is a true championship course. Long and challenging from any tee to suit your ability. Course in good condition greens tricky. Would definitely recommend particularly if you can get a good rate.

Response from ChampionsGate Golf Club on 03/17/2017:

Wonderful! We're thrilled that you enjoyed the challenge of our course as well as our conditions. We appreciate your feedback and kind words. We hope to have you back soon!

"Great course!"

Teetotaller289's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2017

Course is in excellent condition given the relative lack of rain. Booked as a single through GolfNow and was paired up with a lovely couple from the UK. We finished the round in under 4 hours and had a great time. Greens are fast and true and fairways are in great shape. Hope to play again while I'm here.

Response from ChampionsGate Golf Club on 03/17/2017:

Outstanding! We're pleased that you enjoyed our course conditions and that the pace of play was good. We're also glad that you enjoyed the pair that you were grouped with. We hope to have you back soon for another great day of golf!

"Nice course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/15/2017

Prefer the sister course, International, but nice to play when doing 36 holes. Greens are too small for some holes. Feels like the greens were larger at some point but just got smaller over time. Plenty of sand bunkers. 15-17 are a fun stretch of holes. Greens were quick and rolled nice when I played. Course conditions have always been nice when I've played there.

Response from ChampionsGate Golf Club on 03/17/2017:

Thanks for your review! We're glad that you enjoyed your round with us at ChampionsGate. We're sorry that you did not fully enjoy our greens. We are actually replacing the National greens this summer which will restore them to their original size and shape. We strongly recommend you give them a try this fall. We appreciate all of your feedback and we hope to have you back soon!

"Underwhelming & Dated"

Bryan9633017's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/15/2017

Wanted to really like this course. Driving in to Champions Gate the Road Signage on the right (almost like Bathroom Tile on some signs) & Cursive Branding is a bit dated. It feels late 90's/early 00's. Omni needs to address this as it felt middle of the road before I even stepped on the course.

Range was pretty beat up from a shotgun scramble on the other course. Range balls were in mini Titleist bags half of which were empty or tipped over. Just an average practice area at best. Big but blah.

Played the National & it was cool (mid 50's) and very windy. Seemed like it was in our face most of the front 9. At least a 2-club wind which made hitting the very tiny greens extremely tough. I've heard they are redoing these this year so that's good. The greens themselves are good and roll true, just absurdly small for probably 80% of the people who play there. Fairways were very thin in spots. Not sure if the grass is still dormat or what but not a lot of turf to take. Almost preferred the rough at times. Just wasn't what I expected given the price. I'm staying at Reunion resort and all 3 of those courses are lush by comparison.

There's no returning to the clubhouse on the turn. Lunch was $22 plus tip from the cart girl for 2 ham sandwiches and 2 bags of chips. Bread was pretty dry. Cart girl was very nice as were the bag guy at check in and the starter. All were very nice to my 12 yr old son as well.

All in all a fun day with my little buddy but probably won't go back at that price point until some improvements in course and feel bring it forward a couple decades (vs plentiful other offerings in the area).

Response from ChampionsGate Golf Club on 03/17/2017:

Thank you for your review! We apologize that you and your son did not enjoy your experience with us. You are correct about our greens. We will be replacing them this summer which will restore them to their original size and shape. We are pleased that you enjoyed the customer service that our staff provided you.We appreciate all of your feedback and we will use your review to help us improve moving forward. We hope to have you back in the future!

"Average, not worth the $"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/10/2017

I played the National course decent layout some tiny (I mean tiny like 5 yards wide) greens as others have mentioned. The Par 3 15th (I think) is just a stupid hole. Couldn't even see the green from the tee. A couple Par 4s on the back are mid-iron lay up holes. My biggest beef is the bunker sand was river sand with a bunch of gravel. When I play a course in Florida in this price range I expect white Florida sand bunkers. Wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't full of gravel. Well groomed though rakes were scarce. For the money, play Championsgate Country club course and greens in better shape as well. Not a re-play in my book.

Response from ChampionsGate Golf Club on 03/15/2017:

Thank you for your review! We apologize that you did not enjoy your experience with us. We appreciate your feedback on our bunkers and we'll make sure to address this matter. We are actually replacing the National greens this summer which will restore them to their original size and shape. We definitely recommend you give them a try again in the fall of 2017. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you back in the future!

Gerard7087430's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/10/2017

Staff were great, the course was in very good condition. all in all a great round of golf.

Response from ChampionsGate Golf Club on 03/15/2017:

Outstanding! We're thrilled that you enjoyed the customer service our staff provided as well as our course conditions. We're glad that you had a great round of golf with us and we hope to have you back soon for another great day of golf at ChampionsGate!

"Marvelous Golf Experience"

LW11g's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2017

This place is a top shelf venue. Played 36 holes with National first followed by International. The designers of this course did a great job with layout - nice views and settings throughout the course which was in very good conditions. Played several courses during the week on a golf trip and this place was by far the best.

Response from ChampionsGate Golf Club on 03/15/2017:

Wonderful! We're extremely pleased that you enjoyed your time with us at ChampionsGate. We're glad that you enjoyed not only our conditions, but the layout of our course as well. We're honored that we were your favorite from your week here and we hope to see you back the next time you are in the Orlando area!

"National"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/08/2017

Played the national 1st time best greens and fairways I've played on in Orlando.

Pace was a little slow but we did start at 3pm.

Got the 18 in just.

Would recommend and play again.

Response from ChampionsGate Golf Club on 03/15/2017:

Thanks for your review! We're pleased that you enjoyed your round on our National course. We do apologize that the pace was a little slow, but we will make sure to address this matter. Can't wait to have you back again!

"Hoping for more!"

kmeyer's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/08/2017

Course was dry. Tee boxes were worn. Players were not considerate about raking traps,, but sand in traps was good and playable. Pace was extremely slow.

Response from ChampionsGate Golf Club on 03/15/2017:

Thanks for your review! We apologize that you did not fully enjoy your round with us. We're sorry that our course conditions did not meet your expectations and that the pace of play was slow. We understand how important pace is and will make sure to address this matter. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have back soon!

"Champions Gate national"

fsandrin's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/07/2017

Great course very fair layout. Narrow fairways, tiny tiny greens that did hold approach shots. I'm a15 handicap played whites 6000 yds, appropriate for my level. Would play this course again.

Response from ChampionsGate Golf Club on 03/15/2017:

Awesome! We're glad that you enjoyed your round with us at ChampionsGate. We're glad that you enjoyed our layout but we're sorry that you didn't like our greens. We are actually replacing the National greens this summer which will restore them to their original size and shape. We definitely recommend you come back and try them in the fall of 2017!

railgolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/06/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

great service.

Lovely large course. some very difficult holes.

In very good shape overall.

Would highly recommend.

Response from ChampionsGate Golf Club on 03/08/2017:

Outstanding! We're thrilled that you enjoyed the challenge that our course presented as well as our course conditions. Can't wait to have you back soon!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/06/2017

Response from ChampionsGate Golf Club on 03/07/2017:

Awesome! Glad you enjoyed your time with us!

Tussino's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/05/2017

Course was very accommodating when we arrived at our exact tee time due to plane arrival being 20 min late, and the valet parking was great and a life saver with us being in a hurry. Will definitely recommend this course to others.

Response from ChampionsGate Golf Club on 03/07/2017:

Excellent! We're glad that our staff was able to provide you with great customer service and help you get out to the course swiftly. We can't wait to have you back again soon!

"Great Track, Great Staff."

Chad3637616's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/04/2017

We came down from MA to play the National & International.

The National was a great course, (played the black tees, tips) nice landing areas , layout, and great greens.

The range was very solid (8.5/10) , practice area was superb (9/10) and staff was extremely friendly. My one tip is that the course is fairly long from the back tees, and the wind seems to blow in your face on every hole. Each guy in our group was scratch - 8 handicap and if you don't hit the ball 250 then you may want to play a tee up.

The greens were extremely small, but the putting surfaces/ green side fall offs were fantastic. You can't expect much more for the price. Shot a 74 with a double on the last hole (par 5) which was self induced, not the courses fault for a snipe hook. We will definitely be back, any golfer who appreciated a great layout and challenging greens will certainly like this course. I can't comment on the condition of the course from the comments a few weeks back; but do yourself a favor and play this course, if your in the area over the next few weeks, it won't disappoint.

We will be back for sure. Thanks ChampionsGate!!

Response from ChampionsGate Golf Club on 03/06/2017:

Excellent! We're extremely pleased that you enjoyed our practice area as well as the customer service that our staff provided you. We're also glad that you enjoyed the challenge that our course presented. We are actually replacing the National greens this summer, which will restore them to their original size and shape. We can't wait to have you try them out in the fall!