Riverside Golf Course

• 1020 Grove Blvd., Austin, TX 78741, Travis County
  • www.riverside-gc.com

Year built: 1950
Architect(s): Perry Maxwell (1950), J. Press (1950)
Type: Public

Back 72 6309 yards 69.0 123
Middle (W) 71 5744 yards 73.8 127
Middle 72 5744 yards 67.2 113
Forward (W) 71 4877 yards 63.1 105

Location is convenient to the city near the airport on a college campus   Great for locals beginners walkers   Challenges include bunkers

"Glad I gave Riverside another shot"

BrandonTuckerGA's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2017

I had banished Riverside to the end of the bench in Austin after a round a few years back when conditions were rough to say the least.

But when looking for a place to play last-minute, my golf buddy recommended giving Riverside another look, and I'm glad he did. Once home to famed Austin Country Club, Riverside is now a "muni-grade" course owned by Austin Community College. The good news is that the tee sheet, at least for the time being, is far more open than Clay-Kizer, Lions or Mo Willy (all of which can get really busy), so we zipped around Riverside in three hours. Conditions have certainly improved. Many greens have some wear around the edges but are otherwise rolling very nicely.

There are some awesome old-school holes here, and a few that aren't all that memorable (a result of rerouting when ACC campus was built). Like Lions, word around town is Ben Crenshaw has offered to restore the course back to former glory if ACC ever frees up the funding. What a blessing that would be to local golfers it were to ever happen.

If you can't find a tee time at the munis or are worried about the pace of play, definitely give Riverside a look. Right now, it seems they could certainly use a bump in play.

"fun layout, good value"

toothysaw2's avatar
Texas Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2017

i hadn't played out here for several years. it's never been the best maintained course. they have put some work into greens and bunkers and that's really helped.

truthfully, the course is still not in amazing shape. everything through the green is patchy and you'll probably want to play the ball up to avoid getting frustrated. the greens were very slow, but were nice! same for the bunkers. it's obvious they are putting in effort.

despite the conditions, the layout is fun and interesting. it's a short course, but not all of the holes can be overpowered. there are strategic trees and holes that require you to shape the ball or be badly out of position.

overall, it's a classic old style course. the staff were super friendly too. if you like that kind of thing, it's worth the time. get out there and have some fun!

"Hot afternoon at Riverside"

gwalker58's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/14/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

1st time there in about 4 years . Unlike most reviews I saw on line - good course conditions, very good grass on greens - some with a few sand spots. 5 PM start, done by 8 PM. No crowd. Played through one 3-some after 12 holes. Nice layout, lots of mature trees.

Commented on 06/22/2016

We appreciate the wonderful feedback! Riverside has been undergoing a sweeping renovation over the last 8 months, and we certainly aren't done yet! We hope you'll come back and see us!

"Nice back nine"

gonzalj0's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/23/2015

Goddess value. Front nine greens not to good. Back nine much better.

Commented on 06/22/2016

We appreciate you recommending us! If you haven't been back to see us since December, we really urge you to come see the transformation we've gone through! Complete 180 since Austin Community College took us back over in November 2015. Hope to see you out here soon!

"This is not a golf course"

Hectorestrada2's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/17/2015

The greens are...they should not be considered greens. Some of them, had patches impossible to avoid., some others had been so damaged by divots that the ball trajectory would be changed dramatically. The fairways were nearly acceptable. Im never going back. No marshall at all<br/> Sad to see such a great and challenging course design be so abandoned.

Commented on 06/22/2016

We sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience you had before. I'd strongly urge you to come see the transformation we've undergone since Austin Community College took us back over in November 2015. We think you'd be pleasantly surprised!

"Fun"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/06/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Played Riverside this weekend. Super fast pace. We were done in 3 hours. Not a lot of folks out. It is a fun, relatively easy course in pretty good condition.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Decent course for the price"

gregshunt's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/20/2015

Overall the course was a good value, but the greens need some work.

"Riverside Wasn't Always This Bad"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/03/2015
Previously played Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

We recently had a flood, so I was expecting cart path only, but I have literally never played a course whose greens were in worse shape. I wouldn't ever pay more than $10 to play this course in it's present condition.

"Zoom, zoom"

u000003882016's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/16/2015

Course was a little rough, but will come around nicely once it starts raining here again! Got in my cart at 2pm and was finished and driving out by 4:30 pm! Just what the Dr. Ordered for a Friday afternoon. Staff was very accomadating also! ZOOM, Zoom!!

"apparently course is a big iffy"

Hduster's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/10/2015

even before I could attract my foursome to join me after Golfnow reservation Sat they bowed out saying course was a mess. I called and groundskeeper who answered phone admitted, "there is a lot of work to do". Course is changing hands. Money just arriving. 10 tons of sand on the way for traps, more equipment purchased. Meanwhile holes 1-18 "need some work" and the last guy who played there who told someone in my party to debook said give it a few months.... we played at Plum Creek instead which was more expensive but in fine shape.

"Poor"

bogiedude18's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/04/2015

Riverside golf course is in very bad condition, I don't think I will ever play again.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Terrible"

Drewcorp7's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/13/2015

I have played this course for many years and at one point even worked at this location. The course is in terrible shape. Course management is completely non existent with the exception of occasional mowing of fairways and greens. The bunkers have grass growing out of the sand! I wouldn't play there again unless I was paying $10. Sad to see what use to be a nice course in such bad condition.

Commented on 06/22/2016

"Course should be retired"

faridkoti's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/11/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

It is unbecoming of Austin to offer such a course to the playing public. The greens were nothing more than a piece of turf that was flatter than its surroundings - bunkers were non-existent.

Hard to think that this is the course where Penick taught - that is what drew me to this course - Penick would probably want to be disassociated with this course for sure - and Tom Kite.

"My golf"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2015

Course was closed and run down. Greens have many bald spots, bunkers have no sand . Course management is working on getting it back in shape . Back nine better shape than front . Over all nice course and very challenging. Long. Bring ur A game

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Have really let the place go - But hopefully turning around soon"

Ben9546126's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2015

Easily worst conditions have ever played - horrible greens, roughs out of control (might as well have been playing in a lagoon or a wheat field), half the sand traps are now actually water hazards, even the fairways were atrocious - half the fairways were like playing out of a normal rough.

*Silver lining - Heard mention that ACC was going to be reassuming control/management of facility - So hopefully by the fall conditions should be in better shape. Hoping they turn the place around.

"What a shame"

mattstovall's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/24/2015

I grew up playing this course. This course is such a fantastic layout built by a famous architect and what the city or community college whoever owns this now has done to it is abominable. The greens of the worst greens I've ever putted on. Such a great layout could be so good but it's so awful now. So sad.

"Pretty Bad Conditions"

patrickmcmanis's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/17/2015

So, I went here with a buddy after work knowing that Riverside is pretty rough. I did not expect the greens to be in such horrible condition, though.

The staff here is always friendly and helpful. The course overall has a pretty nice layout, as this was once one of the premier courses in town. Not anymore. The rough is unkempt and long. Good luck finding a wayward ball. Also, the greens! OMG, they were pretty much unplayable. The par 3 course at Barton has better greens than this! Seriously, unless you don't care about putting at all, skip this course until the greens are in better condition

Commented on 06/22/2016

"Worst Condition I have ever experienced..."

uRYYG6931RY's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/09/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 9 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

The title says it all. I was shocked at the poor condition of the course. It looks like to me the course will not be with us for much longer. Quit after 9. First time for me.

Commented on 06/22/2016

"Do they even have a grounds crew?"

stingertickets's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/08/2015

I booked this tee time due to convenience and had low expectations. The condition of the course was deplorable. Greens were primarily sand and bumpy as can be. The sand traps had not been properly raked in months. And the rough was far to high making it nearly impossible to find a ball even a foot off the fairway. I spent the majority of my round circling the area my ball should be searching. After a few minutes I usually ended up giving up and begrudgingly taking a drop. There were piles of branches cut off trees that had just been left to rot where they fell. Again I ask the question, does this course even have a ground crew? It looked more like one guy just drives around in a mower once a week. I will never return to this course.

Commented on 06/22/2016

"Had better times here before..."

djjohnson1's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/03/2015

I'm guessing the front 9 were under some typ of construction because we could only play the back 9. If u hit the ball in any ruff no matter where it was u couldn't find ur ball and the greens were not in very good condition. I'm guessing the lack of rain has something to do with the course poor condition.