Golf Links at Pebble Beach Golf Links

Caddies: Yes
GPS: Yes

Practice bunker: Yes
Golf school / academy: Yes - "Pebble Beach Golf Academy"

Dress code: Shirts and shoes are required at all times.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is worth the drive at a resort   Great for a bucket list/top 100 pick wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens forced carries   Great for 19th hole scenic views amazing food patio dining

"Awesome bucket list day! One improvement requested."

lawallkt's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2017

When the rains stop and the sun comes out just before your tee time you know you are blessed. The TV cameras can not reflect the real topography of this course. Simply amazing. Had a couple of birdies that I will cherish! Hubert in the pro shop is super nice. The price is the price - a lot to play for golf and when you add caddy, tip and cart it's way up there, but we agreed the experience was worth the cost. Only improvement is too keep people off the cart path along the right of hole #18. While preparing for approach shot, had a woman come up to me and ask to borrow a club for a photo! Course grounds should be off limits for tourists even if "public" course.

"Once in a lifetime"

JeffArenson's avatar
Denver Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/30/2017

This is actually the second time that I have been here. There were 15 years and a lot of golf vacations in between. This is America's golf course. You know what you are getting-the scenery, a half dozen of the best holes in earth, treated like royalty, etc.

The course itself needs no explanation. The stretch from #5 to #10 is as great as advertised. I will say that it isn't six great holes and 12 bad ones. Strategically, they are all good to great. Small greens so aim at the middle.

Outside of the golf-it is pebble beach so they have everything. They are incredibly nice as well they should be. You have access to the range and putting greens. The putting greens are similar to the course so use them. Your green fee also gets you through 17 mile drive so do this on the same day you play.

I wrote once in a lifetime due to cost/value. If you can afford to play here all the time and get on to the private courses in the neighborhood then the Monterey Peninsula could be the experience of a lifetime. If not, then there is equally great golf for less elsewhere-Bandon, etc. Although you have to get very elite as far as the quality of the courses to do so.

I will encourage you to play here once as a gift to yourself-ignore the price tag and take in the whole experience. If you are a single, you can call 24 hours ahead and hope for an opening. No stay necessarily.

"Sour grapes"

sooner90's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/01/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

I know, I know, I know...

Golf magazine top... Golf digest top ...

Ok, I played on a picture perfect day. And, played the course relatively well compared to what others have told me when they played. From the start, everybody there is very cordial and friendly. Even other players are friendly and giddy about playing this iconic course. The course condition was average (great tight fairways, but the greens were bumpy and slower than I anticipated). Edges were rough and I didn't care for the construction and temporary green on #14. The greens were truly smaller than I had expected even after seeing on TV and in person through ProAm and US Open. So, why only four stars? The price. Face it, the staff is friendly because they're picking your pocket left and right. $495 for green fee, $80 for caddy, $35 - $50 caddy tip, $4 bottle of water... Money just pours out as soon as you step on the property. I've played Pelican Hills (both South and North), Torrey Pines (both South and North), Trump National, Monarch Beach and other iconic courses in SoCal area so my expectation may have been higher. But, other courses didn't gauge you for every little thing. I enjoyed playing as this is an iconic course. But, I'll spend my green fees at other courses that are just as fun and just as scenic.

"Awesome Experience!"

Alex326's avatar
San Francisco Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/16/2017

First the technical aspects of playing Pebble Beach. The course is in fantastic shape tee to green as expected. Greens are small but very manageable. In my opinion they are much easier than Blackhorse & Bayonet down the road. Of course having a caddie give you spot on reads helps. Course is a must walk in my book. That gives you time to enjoy the plentiful views. Speaking of time... It's going to be a 5 hour round. Just accept that. You just paid five bills so why would you want to rush it. Having said that the caddies do a good job keeping players moving along.

The course layout combined with the ocean views is just absolutely surreal. You are right on the waters edge on 6-8 holes and have views of the ocean on another 5-6 holes.

We had no issues with staff. All were professional and polite

If I had one complaint it would be lack of bathrooms.

I'm already making plans to play it again in the summer!

Bigbluenation's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/20/2016

"make my day"

LuxuryFred's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2016

Probably best in the US Public, though I haven't been to Bandon yet. the middle stretch of holes is just too good and 18 is a real treat. Felt like Clint Eastwood

"Hallowed Grond"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2015
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Phenomenal place... every golfer should play this course once in their life time....!! Just do it.... no regrets whatsoever...

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Hope I can get back again."

FCWiegand's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/09/2015
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I'll start off by saying that as soon as I walked off the 18th green, I wanted to get right back on the first tee. We finished the round in 4:30 and overall it was an amazing round/weekend.

"golf Heaven"

tdrasler1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/03/2014
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Average weather

I'm not writing a review. It's five-star everything. I can't say anything more than everyone else has for the last almost 100 years.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Pebble Beach will always be special"

JasonDeeganGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/02/2014
Previously played Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

I've been lucky enough to play Pebble Beach twice - in June of 2003 and December of 2009 - and the memories of those rounds are still vivid in my head. I think that's the ultimate sign of a 'bucket list' experience. Both times I walked the course without a caddie, carrying my own bag. I was lucky to get sunny days with little wind. I feel bad for those people who sign up for a once-in-a-lifetime round and get blasted with wind or rain or a thick marine layer that clouds the ocean views. It can happen to anybody. As for the course, it takes two holes to shake off the excited nerves. That's about the time the magic happens. The fourth through 10th holes roam along the rocky cliffs of the coast. The scenery is just off the charts, but I think it's the variety of holes that's even more special. The tee shot at the short seventh and the scary approach shot at no. 8 are epic moments in any golf career. Execute them properly and you can brag about them forever. The inland holes of the back nine take some grief from critics, although they're all solid holes. I think the par-3 17th is actually a bit overrated. It's almost impossible to hit the hour-glass-shaped green unless you're a single digit handicap, and there's not much scenery until you reach the green. I'm in the camp that believes the two trees in the landing area of the 18th fairway should be removed, but regardless, it's still a great hole. Everybody, no matter how rich or poor, should play Pebble Beach. It's a special day from start to finish.

"Money Grab"

quinner69's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/28/2014

The place is a money grab! Living off its reputation. The course was is poor condition for the money charged. They do not appear to have a dress code or if they do, they do not enforce it! Played with to people that tee'd off with there shirts untucked and had zero golf etiquette.Do yourself a favor go to Bandon, Pinehurst, Whistling Straits or TPC Sawgrass where you are welcomed by folkes who appear to genuinely appreciate your business. If you want to see the views of Pebble Beach Golf Links nothing stops one from walking the course. This is the first review I have ever posted on any site, but felt so ripped off at the entire golf experince I felt the need to post.

"A Dream Business Trip"

beechtiger's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2014

A beautiful course! Fortunately it is a public course and anyone can play the course. A well maintained course considering its age.

"Pebble Beach Dream"

DOliver16's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/30/2014
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Fabulous experience. Have someone walk with you to enjoy the walk. Forget the score and savor the experience. Awesome!

"Get a Caddie"

CaptWillard's avatar
Mississippi Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/07/2014
First time playing Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

There's nothing I can add to Pebble Beach's heaps of praises, all of which are well deserved. It's a magical experience. The two things that I must emphasize are these: walk, and hire a caddie. This is arguably the world's most beautiful golf course; why anyone would want to ride in a cart on it is beyond me. Pebble Beach is an experience, and to be properly experienced, it must be walked. Likewise, a caddie is going to improve your experience by saving you TONS of shots (mine probably saved me 10 strokes), carrying your bag, cleaning your clubs, raking the bunkers, and otherwise making your round hassle-free.

One last thought about caddies: not all caddies are created equal. I got lucky with a spectacular, insightful, funny caddie named Crawford. My playing partners got a forecaddie who was not nearly as excited to be there. So if you know anyone who's been to Pebble, ask who caddied for them. If they recommend him/her, ask for that person in particular.

If I go back, I'm asking for Crawford.

"As good as it gets!"

uKEJQ4514KE's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/03/2014
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Average weather

Are you a fan of golf? If so, you NEED to play Pebble! The course is simply wonderful and while pricy, is absolutely worth the high rate. Played 18 with one of my best friends and will never forget the experience.

Course conditions were excellent and even though they were getting ready for the Pro-am, it did not change the overall experience.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Should be on every golfer's bucket list"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2013
Previously played Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I don't know how many times I've heard people say if Pebble Beach wasn't on the ocean, it wouldn't be that special. That's one of the dumbest statements a person can make about a golf course because setting is always a huge factor in the quality of a course and the setting just doesn't get any better than Pebble Beach. Yes, it's expensive at $495 (and the hotel rates if you book in advance), but how many $250 courses out there aren't really that memorable. Just put two of them together. And yes, it takes 5-plus hours to play, but you're at Pebble Beach; soak it up for as long as you can. And finally, the design of the holes are special, even if it wasn't on the ocean, even the inland holes. Never sell this course short; it's a world treasure.

"A Must Play!"

Char1208's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2013
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

My husband and I went out to Pebble for our honeymoon and it was absolutely amazing. The greens were a lot smaller than I thought and the course was very demanding. Holes 6-10 are just unlike any I've ever seen.<br/> Pebble Beach was everything I hoped for and more. We had an awesome caddy and we walked the course which I would recommend. Otherwise, it's cart path only and you end up walking more to and from your cart.<br/> This is a must play if you ever have the opportunity!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"I mean, come on, it's Pebble Beach"

JayCoffinGC's avatar
Golf Channel

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/25/2013
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This place is Heaven on Earth and one every golfer's bucket list. Do what you have to do to play here at least once in your life.

I've played here twice and remember every shot I hit for both rounds. Other than Augusta National and Cypress Point, I don't recall another course where this is the case.

It's so fun because you know all the holes before you even play. Still, once you're there, it's better than you image. Enjoy it, take photos and, more importantly, get a good caddie. Sure, they're all good, but find one highly recommended and enjoy the walk.