Carmel Mountain Ranch Country Club

Carts: Yes - included in green fee (with GPS)
GPS: Yes

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Collared shirts/blouses must be worn at all times. Tank tops, tube tops, halter-tops and spaghetti straps are not allowed for women. Sleeveless, and collarless shirts are not allowed for men
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Blue (W) 71 6263 yards 77.5 144

Location is convenient to the city in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers locals a weekend splurge   Challenges include elevation changes forced carries bunkers   Great for drinks patio dining brunch

"Almost there"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2017

Not a bad layout. Just funny stuff. Crummy golf carts. No tees, no coolers on cart. No snack cart on course. Tees hard as bricks could barely get tees in ground. Interesting layout but the odd things just make everything average

"Challenging Par 3's, Some Greens Are Thin"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2017

I love the course layout. Every hole is unique. The course conditions are slipping, and with playership down I'm not surprised. Some of the greens on the back nine were thin. It seemed that some of the greens were minimally sanded. I'm hoping the greens improve going into the fall. The bunkers are filled with dirt, but I could play from them. The fairways are good for the most part and the tees are in good shape.

I couldn't believe that more people were not on the course on Labor Day. It could be a symptom of golf's decline, but I suspect also that this course is too narrow and too penalizing for most mid to high handicappers. That said, playing on a holiday for $39 (plus golf now booking fee) was really nice. I'd be happy to play the course for $55 in its current condition provided that the place of play is good. Look for a round at mid day or early afternoon for a quicker round.

Note to the club: re-upholster the cushions of or trash the old white backed chairs that are outside the clubhouse. They look poor. In general, the grounds around the hitting nets and outside the clubhouse need sprucing.

"Need to improve the "desert style""

Claudiusson's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/28/2017

Hole by hole the course is not bad and actually quite fun to play but the property need to impove the status of all the desert part of the course. I understand the management has decided to transform big part of the rough in desert but in order to make it playable also the desert part needs to be well maintained somehow! Also, the first nine holes are very close to the motorway and therefore quite noisy. Much more fun was playing the second nine both for the noise and the layout. Overall not bad and a quite good deal for a twilight rate of $35 after 2 PM but I don't think I'll go again, at least until they will do some proper car path which should avoid all the dust we got from the cart in front of us!

"Throw back Thriller"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2017

I grew up in SD and played this course several times when I was young. I lost interest in it years ago when I started hitting the ball harder and got increasingly nearvous about hitting a house. It's importantly to note that the homes are close to the edges of the fairways on several holes and many of those same holes have narrow fairways. That said, the $45 (plus small booking fee) rate for a Saturday morning round was too good to pass up. I played with my friend and one other person we met on the first tee. The pace of play was really good. We waited less than a minute a few times during the 18 hole round.

As for the course conditions, the greens were in good to great shape and rolled fairly true. The fairways were in good to great shape as well. The bunkers were consistent but they were filled with what seemed to be dirt. I agree with a previous reviewer that the bunkers should be improved. That said, I was able to play shots from them with considerable spin because the dirt is so gritty.

This was my first time playing the course since the turf reduction and takeover by JC golf management. The turf reduction has two upsides and one downside. The upsides are that it makes for a slightly more natural coastal desert feel and it means that the grass that remains can receive more water. The downside is that this tough course is less forgiving of wayward shots.

The course is not long even from the blue tees. I consistently hit 265 to 275 yards with my driver and I used driver on only 4 holes. I used several 3 woods and long irons off the tee. The important thing is to hit straight tee shots (200 to 230 yards in most cases) on this shotmaker's course.

My advice is to play this course if you are hitting the ball consistently straight and you can get a good deal. Provided that the pace of play is good, I'd be happy to play this course for as much as $65 on a weekend and $50 on a weekday. As an added bonus, the burger I had a the snack shop was good and plentiful. The par threes are truly challenging and the views from some holes give sweeping views of the surrounding hills covered with boulders.

Final thoughts: This course does not have a driving range but does have a hitting net with 10 or so stalls. The practice green is large and seemed to roll similarly to the greens on the course.

"A good challenge"

bthebull's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2017

Course is in good shape. The tees are all nice and level with good grass. The greens have gotten fast and depending on where they locate the pins can be really tough. This is a desert style course so if you miss the fairways you will end up in the wastelands. Some of the holes are unique but that is what makes this course fun.

"Great course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2017

The course is in Great Shape, greens are rolling really fast. Love playing this course and the price was awesome. Can't wait to get back out here. Thank you CMR staff.

"Fun course"

Carl6067422's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/18/2017

My only recommendation to the staff is better maintenance of the bunkers.

sphommathep's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/16/2017

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2017

A few dry spots on the course, but it is summer in San Diego, CA. A little slow on the back nine.

"Go get some sand please"

julesjurk's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

I play this course quite a bit and think it has been in good shape since they refurbished it. However, the bunkers are a joke. We have not had rain in months so there should not be two inches of mud in your sand traps. Are you watering them? Maybe send a truck over to the beach and grab a bit of sand? Muddy wet or hard as a rock dirt bunkers don't allow you to play a true shot. OK, so I shouldn't be in them to begin with, but frustrating they were so bad yesterday.

The greens were a little fuzzy and not as fast as usual. Fairways were in awesome shape. Pace of play was a little slow, but manageable. For the price, this course is fun to play and the staff is always nice.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/30/2017

"Interesting course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2017

Nice course. Fairly short, but enough trouble to make it a challenge. Greens are great. Staff was friendly. Played in 4 hours.

"Fun to play"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/27/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

This a course you cannot walk, the holes are far too far from each other. Some of the holes were pretty straight forward but most were up and down, with some gaps to play over, so the challenges were there. I will go back.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2017

"Post renovation condition"

hferriss's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/09/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

I have played this course since the late 90's, and am not a huge fan of some of the renovations made. However, the course is currently in the best condition I have seen it since renovations were "completed" late last year. It was hot yesterday, and yet the course did not play hard and dry. If you miss fairways on a regular basis, you may have some issues hitting off of hard pan decomposed granite on some holes. The greens were in good shape, and if anything, were over watered. I hit my approach shot on #18 with a 9 iron and the ball plugged on the green (instead of rolling back towards the hole on a down slope). For me, the biggest disappointment is the bunkers. JC Golf has resources and should spend a little on some decent bunker sand. I got into two bunkers over 18 holes, so not a huge deal. And I got of each okay, but its like hitting out of the hard pan decomposed granite I mentioned earlier. Overall though, I was pleasantly surprised at the overall condition of the course. It is target golf for the most part and need to hit a club off the tee that you are confident will keep you in the fairway. As with most all of the JC facilities around town, the greens were in good to very good shape. Have fun!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

"Disappointing to say the least"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/25/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

It would appear as though the owners of this property are not concerned whatsoever with putting money back into the course. The golf course has been cut down to the point where there is no rough lining the fairways. Additionally, there is no sand in the bunkers. I play to a pretty low handicap and will offer this: hit a ball 2-5 yards off line... you probably won't find it. The run off from the fairways here (hard pan dirt) lends toward you ball rolling an additional 50 yards, possibly into someone's yard, and being lost. The bunkers do not qualify as bunkers, they are hard pan dirt. There is no evident sign of actual "golf course" sand being placed in them. The only saving grace about CMRGC is the greens were an 8 out of 10 condition.... although that didn't matter much considering a ball hit a few yards offline is probably lost. Lastly, I was eaten alive by mosquitoes in the swampy parts of the course... bring the "OFF".

Course Layout: Poor

LoraLee13's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/04/2017

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/11/2017

"Missed the mark!"

gregorio10's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2017

Interesting day. Our T-time was delayed from 3 pm to 3:18. As 3:30 approached we expressed our frustration to the starter. He relayed our issue to the pro. The pro explained that they had issues with an earlier tournament and assured us he would make it right, and boy did he! He took us in the club and bought us a round of drinks, refunded our money, gave us certificates for 2 free future rounds each (4-some), and made arrangements for a free round with another local course so we were able to get a round in that afternoon! Over the top customer service! Highly recommend this course!