Crooked Cat at Orange County National

Fairways: Bermuda Grass

GPS: Yes

Practice bunker: Yes
Practice hole: Yes

Dress code: No denim, collared shirt and bermuda shorts required
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Champ 72 7493 yards 76.0 139
Orange 72 6927 yards 73.7 132
Tan (W) 72 5122 yards 69.6 120

Average Rating 4.5 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive near local attractions convenient to the city   Great for locals advanced golfers playing multiple courses   Challenges include bunkers forced carries undulating greens   Great for drinks brunch watching the game

dgiering's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2017

"Only visitors could dent the drought"

tooheyp's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/13/2017
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

We expected a hotter day than we got. Orlando had been setting heat records all week. This Saturday was cooler and we had cloud cover. As we hit the 14th hole the thunder and lightning began and the sky opened up raining cats and dogs, not just kittens and pupplies. We had to avoid the "poodles". We headed for the cover of the clubhouse and called it a day. We were on track for a pleasant 4 hour round and liked the course, but the weather made it dangerous. I was surprised the course didn't have a siren system to warn all golfers to cease play and head for safety. The New Jersians had a great time and will be back, perhaps to try the other course.

"Great Facilities but would recommend other course"

LVBIGBLUE's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/11/2017

Orange County National is a great facility to practice and play Crooked Cat course to me is the weaker of the 2 courses Course condtions were good. but course layout just seemed repetitive and boring to me Got a great deal on Golf Now but Would not play again especially for rake rate

"As good as the reviews started"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2017

The course was in great condition even with the amount of drought that the center part of Florida is having. The sand traps had plenty of Sand so you could take great clean shots. The Greens rolled true though some of them had been recently sanded they still performed very well. I would recommend this course to anyone from a 1 handicap to a 30 with 6 tee boxes anyone could play.

"Slow play"

Beasy901's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2017

Be prepared to wait 15-30 min between every shot. We were a twosome and had two 5somes in front of us. There was a open hole between the groups and they refused to let us play through. After playing 7 holes in almost 3 hours we tried to get Marshall to let us get ahead of the 5 some. He basically told us we were out of luck. Could only play 9 but managed to finish 9 holes with a lightning fast pace of 3:15 min!! Tried to get refund for 9 but no success

Response from OCN Management on 05/10/2017:

Hi Beasy901,

We're sorry to hear you were not able to recommend the course at this time. Our staff works hard to accommodate all golfers and maintain a consistent pace of play. It sounds like we may have been a little behind on this particular day and hope you can come back and play again.

"The cat has claws"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2017

The Cat is a wide open course. Open but still challenging. Easy off the tee but the closer to the green the tougher it gets.

Response from OCN Management on 05/08/2017:

Hi u000007130896,

Your feedback on course difficulty is very fair. We always look to provide a fun challenge for any level of golfer. Thank you for the 4 star review!

"Exceptional"

u000005820686's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2017

I have been disappointed here at OCN. Great golf course, facilities and staff. I will be back soon.

Response from OCN Management on 05/04/2017:

Hi u000005820686,

We enjoyed reading your feedback on a 5 star review! Looking forward to your next round with us. Thank you for golfing with us!

"Great day!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2017

Course was in good shape despite the drought, a few brown patches on fairways but not a problem and the greens were running true and fast. Love that you can show up early and use the amazing practice facility prior to playing. We enjoyed a few hours of chipping and putting prior to playing. Pace of play was excellent on this day. Thoroughly enjoyable. Lots of tee positions to accommodate all handicap levels of golfers. Only drawback is clubhouse food closed at 4:30 so we didn't get to eat after our round and had to go elsewhere.

Response from OCN Management on 05/04/2017:

Hi u0000060180,

Thank you for the 5 star review! Our staff is working very hard to maintain the course through the drought. Great to hear you played with good course conditions. The practice facilities definitely offer a great place to prepare for the round. Playing different tee boxes can offer a different experience every time. It is our goal to keep golfers coming back for more. See you soon!

"Do your homework...."

Neil1330479's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2017

Be cautious of the cancellation policy from the course. Overall the course is nice (referencing to crooked cat) greens roll true, but not to much character overall and not super challenging. Would recommend for the experience, but you can find better options in the area.

Response from OCN Management on 05/04/2017:

Hi Neil1330479,

We appreciate the 4 star review, but are sorry to hear you were not able to recommend the course at this time. We do offer multiple lengths at the tees to offer a challenge for all skill levels. Hopefully, you can return and try Panther Lake at a longer distance to increase difficulty.

"Excellence"

KevinWaugh99's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2017

My son and I had the opportunity to play Crooked Cat at Orange County National as the finale of a great week of golf in Florida. OCN and Crooked Cat did not disappoint. We had the perfect day, Sunny 90 with light winds. The course was in phenominal shape which has become my normal expectation of the OCN courses. Greens were smooth, quick, and true. We are both single digit players and played the Orange Championship Tees at 6900+ with a 134 slope and it provided an excellent challenge. I played almost every club in the bag. The practice area is second to none and an avid golfer could easily spend many hours just in the practice facilities. I highly recommend this property and both the Crooked Cat and Panther Lake courses. They have never disappointed on many trips over the years. My only comment as an FYI is it does take about 30 minutes longer to play than most other Florida courses we have played. It runs about 4:15 to 4:30.

Response from OCN Management on 05/04/2017:

Hi KevinWaugh99,

So great to hear you continue to come back to OCN and play our courses! Consistency is very important to us and our golfers and it sounds like that's what you find when playing here. Always great to end a week of Florida golf with Crooked Cat or Panther Lake. We look forward to your next round!

"Great track!"

joshsmith12's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/27/2017

Amazing round of golf in Orlando's West side. This is a true golf facility dedicated to golf. Huge range, putting green, practice chipping/bunker area. This place is all about golf. The course was pretty generous with fairway landing and had room if you missed off the tees a bit. Long hitters paradise. Bunkers were massive both fairway lining and beside the greens. Greens were quick, but could use some rain. They were a bit hard on shorter approach shots. Come in high with spin and they held fine. Play to the correct side of fairways or trees at doglegs will block some shots. No GPS on carts. Could really improve the facility with that addition. Great course. Great facility overall though. Must play.

Response from OCN Management on 05/04/2017:

Hi joshsmith12,

We enjoyed reading your 5 star review. Thank you for providing great feedback on our facilities. There is definitely plenty of room for long hitters, especially playing from the right tees. See you soon!

"Very good"

Randall9750593's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2017

The course is very good. The conditions at the time was pretty good. The greens were smooth and true. The fairways were pretty good as were the tee boxes. The only problem this course had was I had played two amazing courses the days prior which biased my opinions. My only disappointment was I didn't notice the Golfboard until after the round, I would have loved to rent a golfboard instead of a cart but wasn't made aware they offered them. OCN should really advertise them as an option

Response from OCN Management on 05/04/2017:

Hi Randall9750593,

Thank you for the 4 star review! We are starting to advertise our GOLFBOARDS as we transition out of a beginning period offering them. They are a great addition to the course and should make your next round even more fun!

"Perfect day"

Michel6170933's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2017

Beautiful course maintained perfectly. It was our first time to the course and it will not be our last, actually we booked on the other course (Panther Lake) to play the next day right after our round. You pay a bit more than the average to play there but it is sure worth it.

Response from OCN Management on 05/04/2017:

Hi Michel6170933,

Thank you for the 5 star review! Great to hear you wanted to jump on Panther Lake as quickly as possible. We look forward to seeing you again for another round soon!

"Very well designed challenging rolling layout."

ArnieLeDrec2023's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Staff was friendly, professional, and accommodating. Greens had been verti-cut but were still smooth, very quick and true. Anticipated playing a flat course but was very pleasantly surprised to find a well designed, challenging rolling layout. Pace of play was good and would have been excellent but for a computer glitch that had 3 unexpected foursomes with prepaid vouchers show up, which the staff explained and handled very well. Worth the drive from the Disney and Universal areas and will definitely play again on next Orlando vacation.

"Nice Course"

Daniel3677667's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Course conditions were pretty good overall. Tee boxes were generally in good shape, allowing for a good set up of the ball on the par 3s if you elected to go without a tee. Fairways were in good shape but lacked a consistent density from tee to green. Had some fairway shots end up in lies where the ball did not sit up nicely for the approach shots. I wouldn't say they had bare spots necessarily, just patches where the grass was not grown-in consistently. However, that was more the exception so I give the fairways a B to B+. Rough was manageable and you could save par with thoughtful club selection. Greens were very nice and quick. I was able to get the speed down quickly because the practice green was indicative of the course greens. That's huge with me. Nothing more frustrating than practicing on the putting green only to find out the course greens/practice green are dissimilar.

Played from the green tees, but I'll play from the golds next time to lengthen out the course a bit. Front nine was quite different than the back 9 in layout and difficulty. Front nine was more generic in layout allowing good scores with decent drives off the tee. Back nine was laid out expressly for smart course management which made it a lot of fun. Poor choices off the tee resulted in very challenging approach shots if not an added stroke from the hazard and/or lost ball.

Practice facility is top notch which allows an excellent warm up for both the long and short game.

Staff was very friendly and professional. Can't wait to try Panther (the other 18). Only down side to the day was I discovered they had a better fee rate for Orange County residents which wasn't apparent going through GolfNow.

Definitely will play again!

Response from OCN Management on 05/04/2017:

Hi Daniel3677667,

Thank you for playing Crooked Cat! We enjoyed reading your assessment of the course, especially pertaining to smart club selection and course design. Your feedback helps other golfers get a feel for the course. We look forward to having you back on Panther Lake for your next round. See you soon!

"Only Good Thing is the Course"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2017

The course itself was enjoyable, but the rest of the experience was not. I needed to borrow a rental set, and asked for stiff shafts; there was also a ladies sand wedge. The cart boy thought they were all rented, but said he would go check. He never came back. There were a couple of holes with three groups on them. The bar/snack bar is understaffed, and it took about ten to fifteen minutes to get a hot dog and drink at the turn.

Response from OCN Management on 05/04/2017:

Hi BryanLerma,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! We can accommodate any requests with the rental clubs at the pro shop. It sounds like pace of play may have been a little behind on this particular day. Our marshals work hard to ensure this does not happen. We apologize for the inconvenience at the turn. Thank you for recommending the course! We hope to see you back for another round so we can improve your next experience.

axgrinder's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2017

i haven't played this course in a long time due to price..other courses were more competitive in terms of price ...OCN is no doubt the place I would all the time if I could afford it .

Response from OCN Management on 05/03/2017:

Hi axgrinder,

Your feedback on value is greatly appreciated! We're happy you had a 4 star day of golf with us and look forward to seeing you again real soon!

rphickey's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2017

Response from OCN Management on 05/03/2017:

Hi rphickey,

We're happy to hear you were able to play Crooked Cat and have a great vacation with your kids. See you soon!

"SPECTACULAR!!"

4355martin's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/10/2017

Normally when down for the Winter months I always try to get a game in at Orange County National but when you're here for 4 months and you want to play as much golf as you can within a budget this Course is almost impossible to afford! Especially as a non resident of Florida or an Orange County Resident! The prices for non resident are just so high for non residents in the months of January through April you have to just wait it out to see if you can finally get a hot deal through Golf Now just to get the chance to play it! I do think it is a little unfair their pricing through those months knowing that the State is loaded with non residents! That is the only negative! I had to get that in so with that being said! This is a spectacular facility that I wish I could play so more often when here! Fairways and greens superb! Service superb! Outstanding golf course period! It's a must play in Orlando! Well maintained and just a joy to play! I just wish knowing how many visitors are here during the winter months you would help out the Non residents. Even if you had a non resident day a week with special pricing so us snowbirds could afford to play more than once! Thanks though for a fantastic round of golf! 5 STAR all the way!

P.S. Hopefully you'll help out us non residents next year when I'm back down January through April!

Martin

Bolton, Ontario

Canada

"One of the best is the Orlando area."

golfdealseeker's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2017

Had perfect weather for one of the best resort style courses in the area. Fairways are wide and the rough is not that rough or penal. Throughly enjoyed the round. Next time we vacation to Orlando I am going to try the sister course.

It is very fair to the mid level handicap golfer.

You should give it a try, you will not be dissappointed.