Trump National Doral Miami - Blue Monster Course

Caddies: Yes

Dress code: No Denim, Collared Shirt Required
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Average Rating 4.0 stars from 5

Location is near the airport   Great for advanced golfers playing multiple courses   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens water hazards

"Disappointing does not begin to describe my feelings"

DMills33139's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2017

For over 40 years I had been dreaming of playing the Blue Monster at Doral. From the time I was a young boy looking at my Golf Digest while braving the cold winter in Northeastern Ohio, and seeing the back page advertisement I wanted to play.

This past Sunday, I finally had my opportunity, and to say it was a utter disappointment would be an understatement.

When I arrived in my Taxi, no one offered to help with my golf bag, and no one offered directions to where to go. However once I found my way to the Golf Shop, the staff was friendly and helpful, as were the Player's Assistance personnel and especially the Starter.

That was where my delight ended. I was appalled at the condition of the Driving Range, dried uncut grass which was impossible to find a decent lie to practice on.

The First Tee of the Blue Monster looked promising, it seemed to be the only spot on the golf course that was in above average condition.

I can understand that the greens need sanding and plugging at times, however, even with the sand they should still be cut! I actually had balls that stopped in the middle of a large slope due to the fact that the greens had not be cut in at least two or three days. Also, the greens were in extremely poor condition overall with spike trails, ball marks and general lack of upkeep.

The majority of teeing grounds were equally as bad, and in some cases the tees were closer to a light rough than a tee box.

I have played on under-funded municipal golf courses that were in better condition.

I was scheduled to play the Golden Palm this Sunday, but just cancelled that tee-time because I can play better conditioned courses for a lot less money.

Warmest Regards

"Blue Monster is neither Blue or a Monster"

GreerGolf's avatar
Texas Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

We played the Blue Monster on a hot, humid, and windy day. Difficult conditions made harder due to the aerification the course recently underwent. However, it is the Blue, meaning it is a legacy course with 50+ years as a PGA Tour stop and still worth playing. The course was recently renovated by Gil Hanse and we were anxious to see what we would find. The course is a beast. From the tips, it plays 7,500 yards. Two of our group played from there while the other two played from the blue tees.

Water is adjacent to nearly every hole. If not a big lake, then canal-like creeks follow the fairways. Don't look for alligators at this resort. The starter shared with us that when one gets in, it is removed and transferred to the Everglades about five miles away.

The fairways are wide but errant shots will find balls lost in deep, deep Bermuda rough. You know the kind that golf broadcasters say no tour player likes to be in. I get it. Tough to find your ball, tough to hit out. Too many bunkers on this course to count. On several holes, like the par 3 #4 hole, the green side bunkers are you friend. This hole has a forced carry of 180 yards over water with a left-to right crosswind into a long and thin green that tilts towards the right into water. Hit into the bunker on the left side of then green and scramble for par. Hole #9 is another forced carry par 3 but the view from the tee box is great. #10 is a horrible hole for an average hack. This hole is almost as famous as #18 but offers little fairway to land your ball if you cannot carry 260 yards. The lake on the left was moved in as was the driving range on the right. Had to hit down the cart path as the narrow fairway gave the impression anything left was lost. Same for all of our group with the exception of our long hitter who crossed the water with a 300 yard carry. Most holes on the back 9 are forgettable. #18 is the best hole on the course. Scenic, long, strategic. Awesome. Great finishing hole.

The staff at Trump Doral are outstanding and this includes all golf staff. Service levels were always high and anticipation of our needs was incredible.

Last thing, Doral lies under the flight path to Miami International Airport. If you are an airplane aficionado, you will love it. Low-flying jumbo jets coming in during your swing is going to happen. Be prepared for it.

Stay at the resort. We were there 5 nights and it is unbelievable.

"The Blue Monster is fierce"

xkyleclark3's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

The property at Trump Doral was phenomenal. Two pro shops and nothing short of excellent. The range was nice, but nothing beat the views from the practice green. The course was in great shape. Make sure to pack a lunch because this course is HARD. We played two sets up and still had a tough time. I think having played it once I would have approached some holes differently the second time around. Definitely worth checking out if afforded the opportunity.

marius51's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/11/2017

"Immaculate!"

gagman's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/10/2017

For a resort course without Ocean views this is one of the finest courses in the World!

The redesign made the course very challenging but if you pick the right tees you will not want the round to end!

The conditions and greens were a 10!

"First class experience, but bring plenty of balls"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/28/2017

Like any resort with that price tag, especially a Trump property, the experience is nothing short of first class. The golf course, however, is not for the faint of heart. The caddies do a phenomenal job of coaching you through the round, but this course is just brutal. Bunkers and water are in play on every hole, and even a good shot can end up in the water sometimes.

Overall, its a great experience. There are other courses that are more enjoyable for a lower price and equal conditions, but playing Doral is a truly first class experience.

"Had to play it once"

sdw3205's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/31/2016

Blue Monster is a good test of golf. Trump has done a great job with the upkeep of the courses. Obviously very pricey. Required to take a fore caddy that tried to read every putt. Usually wrong but I worked through it. Had to play the course because I watched the "Doral" even year with my Dad since 1970 when he played it. He just passed away a month ago so I wish I could have talked to him about it. So said that they lost the tournament.

"Wow! Fun experience"

mnglfer's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/23/2016
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Everything about the experience was fantastic. From the time you drive up, to the facility, to the people, a truly luxurious experience. The greens were tru and were rolling great. The tee boxes were the best i have ever seen. They were so perfectly flat that it felt like I was walking on a level floor. The day was windy so par 5 holes were extremely challenging. Be sure to pick appropriate tees! I played from the 7000 yd. tees and that was too much for me. Everyone was the PGA experience but avoid playing the tips unless you can drive the ball 300 yds.+. The golf course is among the top 5 I have ever played. I would recommend finding the best deal you can and then forget about the money and enjoy the experience. Get to the course an hour or two early and take advantage of the fantastic practice area. You are treated great at the course, enjoy being treated like someone special for a day.

"Bunkers all Over the Golf Course"

mogiedad's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/04/2016

Very challenging golf course. The numerous bunkers make accuracy a must. The greens will test your putting skills.

"Blue Monster"

kp1251's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/18/2016

Be prepared to spend another 100$ or so on top of your greens fee but it was an awesome experience!

"Elegant but tacky"

u000002102037's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/28/2016

No doubt an elegant course in pristine condition, ... but

Starting at the driving range - after paying $250 for my round I don't expect to have to hit off a mat at the rang using old battered Taylormade balls that you'd find at a muni. Bunkers had no sand and were hard packed. Many, many bunkers so to save a bit of money there was only one rake per bunker, usually buried in the tall grass surrounding the bunker. By hole 14 with a 4some on our heels we gave up searching for the rake and moved on. Actually didn't make much difference since the ground was so hard there was no footprints. If $250 was not enough it cost $20 to valet your car or &15 for self-parking. Then your clubs got handed over to multiple people all with their hands out expecting a tip. Final indignity was that although I had a confirmed tee time as a single when I got to the starter I was told that the people that the twosome that I was paired with didn't want anybody else with the and I had to wait 45 minutes to go out. Not an overall pleasant experience at a fine course.

"Blue monster challenge"

simerm's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2016

Great course to play. Extremely wide perfectly manicured fairways . Couple par 4 reachable from tee boxes. Course offers lots of risk reward opportunities . Michael the starter was extremely professional and handled a prolonged rain delay gracefully and skillfully. The facility itself is incredible. Play it. The head cart guy was an idiot though.

"Beautiful Course, but demanding"

Bbalking24's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/03/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Excellent weather

The blue course is a great track but brutally tough! Bring extra balls because water is on play on almost every hole. The greens were in great shape and rolled more true then many of the other "elite" courses. The changes made with the new ownership is good but the price tag attached to the blue course is a bit much. I teed off early in the morning and i didn't see a single person on the course. In talking to my caddie, and pro shop staff, they have been slow. Which may be due to the $400 price tag to play it.

"the golf course was nice....but they stole my sunglasses"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather

I played the Blue course Sunday in a shotgun tournament that was organized by a friend of mine. The golf was good....but i was disappointed when I called the club and ask for my sunglasses I had left in the cart. They had disappeared from the time I finished playing and the time I called the next day. I find it a little disconcerting that a golf club that can charge the rates they charge doesn't have honest people working in the cart shed. I've never lost an item that I accidentaly left in a golf cart in all my 50 years of play.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Fantastic"

tcroberts82's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/23/2015

Played the monday after the WGC. I cannot even describe how nice it was. Fantastic tour quality track

"Forget the Trump Name - Still a Tired Course"

Neal7310462's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/24/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Despite Donald Trump's egoistic bellowing about his remake of Doral, it is still an over-played, over-priced, tired course. Back in the 60's and earlier its claim to fame was length. That's no longer the case and the holes don't make up for its age. Some courses improve with age, this one stayed relatively static.

I used to be a member but left because of the decline of the course and general facilities. Notwithstanding the fresh paint and surface renovations, it is still the same mediocre course it was. The other courses have been given new names and routing, but are essentially the same uninspired layouts. A name like Red Tiger may sound great, but it is still the old Red woman's course. Same with the Gold and the White which is only leased for another couple of years.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"Doral Blue is still a Monster"

MattGinellaGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/11/2014
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

There is no question, Gil Hanse and his partner, Jim Wagner, vastly improved Doral Blue. They cleaned up sight lines, varied some elevation throughout the routing, moved some greens, added contours to putting surfaces, made it a better experience for the galleries who will assemble for professional events and they updated the driving range for a resort with multiple courses. But did they make it easier? No. And that wasn't necessarily the objective, after all, this course does host a World Golf Championship and it's "The Monster." Thus, it's critical you pick the appropriate tees here, and caddies can really help you make proper club selection and read the new greens. Trump tries to make the case that the airplanes on approach to the Miami airport are a premium, but I disagree. They're big, loud and they're coming in so low you'll be inclined to back off a few shots and putts throughout the round. And it's only one reason why I balk at the $450 green fee (add $70 and a $30 gratuity if you take a caddie). Trump has not only raised the quality of the course, but at $550, he puts Blue in the company of some of the elite and most expensive golf experiences in the world. Does Blue compare to Pebble Beach? Is it worth more than Pinehurst No. 2? No and no. Prior to Trump's changes, Blue was $350 and it wasn't worth it. What would've been great is if Trump made the changes and dropped the rate to $250. To that, I would've said yes. In the meantime, you'll get an elite level of conditioning, service and you're paying for being in Miami, the weather in the winter months and the opportunity to play where the pros play, but be prepared to get beat up...on the course and in your wallet.

"Blue is Back and it's as 'Monstery' as ever"

CharlieRymerGC's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/10/2014
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Let me qualify my experience at Trump National Doral by saying that I had the pleasure of playing with the owner. As you may imagine, golf with the "Big Boss" has it's advantages. The service was impressive and the golfers on the course ahead of us just "got out of the way." I learned later that everyone we played through got drinks on the house. Donald Trump is very proud of the New Blue. And he should be. Gil Hanse has done a fabulous job of taking a golf course that had one hole you would remember, preserving that 18th hole, and adding 17 more you will remember for a lifetime. The Old Blue was dated, faded, and somewhat boring. The New Blue is an instant classic. The work done here is not simply a new coat of paint. Hanse told me he cut down to the bones and rebuilt the all important parts of the course you can't see. Drainage and conditioning will be dramatically improved. As for the parts you can see, improvements are delightful. Significant elevation changes, large undulating greens, classic bunkering, and strategic design all come together to make this a visually interesting and very challenging golf course. We won't know how the scoring will play out for New Blue until there are couple of Cadillac Championships in the books. My intuition is that scoring will be more difficult than Old Blue but not dramatically so. While New Blue is longer, the greens are more generous and misses on the proper side provide an opportunity to save par. Wind will always be the biggest factor in scoring on this property.

Please note that I rated conditioning as 4 rather than 5. This is due to the fact that grow-in was not quite complete when I played. I think conditioning will be a bit of an issue for the 2014 Cadillac Championship. The greens will likely be inconsistent in speed and firmness. And a few fairways on the back nine are not 100% covered. Apparently, not even Donald Trump can make grass grow quicker. But getting this course to where it is in the short time available is nothing short of miraculous. And long term, conditioning will be outstanding.

When all construction is complete, Trump National Doral will be a true golf destination resort. Serious golfers will appreciate the thought and effort that has gone in to revitalizing this iconic property. Certainly Donald Trump is a divisive character that has more than his fair share of detractors. But even his harshest critics will have to admit that what he has accomplished here is very impressive. Mark my words. Before all is said and done, Donald Trump will be known and respected as a "golf guy." After spending a day with him at Trump National Doral his love of the game is evident.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"It's better than it was..."

JayCoffinGC's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/06/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I liked it a lot, but didn't love it as much as others seem to.

The new Hanse redesign is much better, but it's still the same routing and it's still Doral, which never did much for me in the first place. As a buddy said "if you were dropped out of the sky onto this place, you'd look around for 1 second and know exactly where you are."

The par 5s are much more challenging, and Nos. 15 and 16 are dramatically different with much more water coming into play. The greens have been redone and now there seem to be bunkers that come into play more than ever before.

Again, I liked it. Didn't love it.

"The Monster is back in the Blue"

GaryWilliamsGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/05/2014

Its always an unusual experience when you play a course with the owner and a former champion of a tour event played on the course but such was the case for me and Charlie Rymer when we played the new Blue designed by Gil Hanse. being hosted by Donald Trump and Rocco Mediate meant it was going to be an interesting day but the review of the course was a central focus of the day. I had not played the blue in decades and from the outset it was clear that the course was all new despite maintaining the general routing of the previous incarnation. Immediately you saw a far more pleasing looking course with the vistas created and the removal of dense vegetation that never factored into the design of the course. The land is very flat and there is simply not much you can do about changing that however Hanse and Jim Wagner, his chief shaper, created mounding away from tees and greens that will greatly enhance the pleasure of the fans at the World Golf Championship without contriving design features that influence the playing of any holes. The massive soil movement was to create brand new holes and we they created is sturdy, strategic, and as dramatic to the eye without being artificial they could be achieved on the property. From the opening hole to the final green the most prevailing feature are the pearl white sand bunkers that are visible across the landscape. Hanse has restored several of the great works of AW Tillinghast and their key features are the facings of their bunkers that give the player a very clear idea where the trouble lies while visually creating a dramatic scene for every golfer to enjoy across the entire course. The facings of all the fairway bunkers on the new blue are pushed up and they are not homogenized. They are singularly unique to each other and are practical to the strategy of each tee location. The course has a clever ebb and flow with short, medium and long amongst all the par 3-4 and 5's. Pay particular attention to the contouring of the greens on the short par 4's. More severity and potential run offs because Hanse understands a short club should require more precision. The dramatic pushing of the 9th green 75 yards closer to the 18th green produces a massive viewer area and also a beautiful scene to end your round. The finest stretches in my estimation are 3-4-5, 8-9-10 and 15-16-17-18. Players will thoroughly enjoy the 150 yard, from the back, 15th and the drivable, for the elite player, 16th that has the best example of Hanse's superior bunker work. The Blue Monster is an expensive proposition, one of the highest green fees in the country, but it has clearly reclaimed its status as one of the best in Florida and Gil Hanse has proven that he can take a tired old dame and restore her to a challenging yet glamorous beauty.