Palmer at Saddlebrook Golf & Tennis Resort

Golf school / academy: Yes - "Saddlebrook Golf Academy"

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Average Rating 4.0 stars from 5

Location is at a resort convenient to the city worth the drive   Great for a weekend splurge advanced golfers playing multiple courses   Challenges include water hazards bunkers undulating greens   Great for drinks

"good features"

Strickj4's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

terrible greens, and really wet. drove 70 miles for a let down.. probably good when dry and greens are on good condition ,but not now.

"I may go back"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2017

Greens were terribly slow and not in the best condition. We had a lot of rain the previous few days, so I understand the speed.....but the condition wasn't that of a resort course. Cart path only combined with hackers in front of me, made for a long long day. I almost started walking cause it would've been easier for opposite side of the fairway club selection! Overall.......3.5 stars

"Amazing course"

mattpost's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2017

It's a wonderful course! Excellent condition, awesome place to play, exceptional staff!

It's short!!! SaddleBrook is better in my opinion than Palmer for low handicap long ball hitters.

I pulled out driver twice. Even on one par 5 you fl gave to hit 3wood.

Other than that my wife and I had a blast

"Florida Winter = Great Golf"

WildPecan2003's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/31/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

A great Sunday morning to play the Palmer course. Excellent condition all around. Made a couple pars through the day. More water than what I expected on this course. Make sure you bring an extra sleeve of balls incase your go for a splash. I will play it again!

"beautiful course !!!"

webbknight's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/30/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Saddlebrook is as finest a golf course as you can play in the Tampa Bay area . I have played everywhere and still find Saddlebrook as my favorite . Challenging course with water and sand traps everywhere .

"Some problems due to heavy rains"

bmfdhughes's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/24/2015

The course is really nice but the summer rains had washed out #10; however they are repairing it. Cart path only.

"This course should not have been open"

Richard8243376's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2015

First of all, we've had a lot of rain the past month or so. That being said, the course was in awful shape. The drainage was terrible and the fairways were like first cut rough. I played the week before at Lake Jovita and they had no issues of swamp-like conditions. Saddlebrook is a different course, I get it, but geez to still charge $50 for a course that really should not have been open is ridiculous. Wish I was told how aweful the conditions were before I paid. I won't be back until it's bone dry. I was extremely disappointed and didn't even have fun.

"Jerry"

Jerry6805318's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/17/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The fairways completely soaked, making difficult to find balls even in center of fairways. I would relly love to played when it dried out because I was hitting the ball well.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Excellent"

None's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2015

Course was in fantastic shape yesterday. Need to start playing there more often. Greens were fast and true. Forgot how awesome this course was. Can't wait to go back!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Excellent as usual"

twizzake's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

Saddlebrook offers a challenging layout, and always plays at a good pace of play compared to others. Friendly staff, great conditions, and resort surroundings. Only negative is beverage pricing, and valet parking seems to be mandatory. Unaware of how to park your own vehicle.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"Great facility"

play36today's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/07/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Golf course was in great condition from tee to green. Greens were not quite as fast as I have seen them but still very tough to putt. Definitely will be back again.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Value-NOT"

Karen1878756's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

For area, not worth the money and greens were not in good shape. Lake Jovita better value. Who knew you had to valet park and then wait almost 15 minutes after you give your ticket to get car out of valet. Additional fee for balls and range very very far away.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Great Deal for amazing course"

mowgli1201's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/17/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

This course is very challenging and in great condition. Every hole had was unique and nothing like anyone before.

The only downside was that the beverage cart shut down around 3pm.

"Jeff G"

Jeffreyhgordon's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/13/2015

$55 golf now price is high. $120 regular price is absurd for the conditions of the course. The practice facility is good & the Resort is attractive which makes the condition of the course surprising. Greens are thin & very slow, collars hardpan, fairways thin, some tee boxes with little grass, nothing is plush. Course does not go back to the clubhouse at the turn and halfway house is closed. Cartbeer was $7.50. Conditions are comparable to a muni in mediocre shape. Would not play this course again if it was ten minutes from my home.

Quality of food & beverage: Poor

"Hoped For A Great Day, Didn't Get One"

NOaddiLA's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/05/2015

So the day started out tipping a valet guy for the mandatory valet parking. There was no warm up due to the range being literally on the other side of the resort. When I got to the pro shop they were having to search for carts. My tee time was around 8:30. How are you already out of carts that early in the morning? Got to hole 3 and the wait started. Had a foursome in front of us and they were slow. Told the ranger on hole 6 and he went up and spoke to them. Hole 7 was a par 3 and we pulled up as they were on the tee box. They looked at us and hit anyway. Got to hole 10 and they were on the tee box. One of the ladies started yelling at us that they were waiting on a 2 some. I looked down the 425 yard hole and the 2 some was on the green putting out. They hit their drives about 100 yards. We got to the 10th green and noticed that the ladies were standing around a cart. They decided to take a short cut to save a total of 2 seconds. Their cart was buried in mud. As we came to the 11th tee, she yelled out "you happy now?" Two Rangers showed up and they did absolutely nothing. Just as the ranger who spoke with them the first time, did absolutely nothing. We get to hole 14 and caught the 2 some that was in front of the ladies. The 2 some they were waiting on (only because they waited to tee off until they were putting out and walking off the green). That 2 some was also waiting at the 14th tee box. We were just a 2 some as well so at that point we decided to just go ahead and leave. Finally at hole 17 the course opened back up. We found out the issue was a really really slow 2 some. They had backed up 7-8 groups. There was a 4 some directly behind them that was in the fairway waiting for them to putt out and clear the green. With 2 rangers on the course and $100+ green fee, you'd think they'd know how to clear jams and get play moving along again. Instead we played 13-14 holes in 5 hours. We skipped the rest. After the round I ended up driving all over the resort because there was really no signage leading you back to the cart return. I spent 20 minutes winding through the pool area, the other course, back to the 18th hole to try to start over. I then had to walk about 10 minutes to the hotel/valet area with my golf bag in tow. Once I got to the valet area, it took 15 minutes to get my truck back. It's was a very frustrating/terrible day.

The course flat out was not a $100+ green fee course. I'd say it was probably a $40 course. They charge that much because of the Arnold Palmer name. It is a very short course. Really easy to run it through the fairways. Nothing like being punished by the course after a perfect shot. The greens were extremely slow. At one point my playing partner said putt putt was more realistic to the game of golf then these greens. The beverage cart made its rounds quite frequently. That was nice. What wasn't nice was paying $4.50 for a 12oz canned diet coke. That and a 20 oz bottle of water cost $7.75. Add in tip and that's a $10 bill.

I will not be playing this course again, or the other course at this resort. I also would most definitely NOT recommend this course to any of my friends.

Quality of food & beverage: Poor

"palmer course saddlebrook"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/17/2015

Very disappointed. Course in poor shape. Fairway drainage bad. Some fairways had cart tire tracks dug across them. No poor fairway spots marked as ground under repair. Green conditions spooty at best with bare spots and other damage. Many of the munis I play are in better condition. Way over priced for condition.

"Very dissapointed"

Norman6772749's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/11/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Saddlebrook Palmer course is probably the most overrated golf course I've played in America. It is very tired and in poor condition. The place is so pretentious it beggers belief. The bag drop and cart ride to the pro shop is just another way of having to tip 6 people before you step on the 1st tee. At $120 it is so over priced for what it is, there are dozens if not hundreds of far better courses for a lot less money. My advice is not to go anywhere near it. Go slightly further north where you will find some great courses at better value.

"Outdated"

Jlk1141's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/07/2015

I made a trip to tampa this weekend from Atlanta and looked forward to playing this course. Well I was highly disappointed. The people were nice and accommodating but the course should be priced around $40 per round, not over $100. It felt like going back to the 70's or early 80's. I wouldn't write a bad review if rates were around $40 bc you can't expect too plush of a course for that rate. Since the course was over $100 to play, this is why I had to write a review. If your going to the tampa area there are wayyyy better courses for the price they charge at Saddlebrook. I played the Palmer course so can't speak of the Saddlebrook course but all in all definitely not worth the price.

"Saddlebrook Palmer Nice Course - Slow Play"

Daniel2084077's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/07/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Nice course that is somewhat challenging. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The 5.5 hours to get 18 in was a bit painful, but all in all, nice track The greens were in good shape and rolling at about 11 on the day of play.

"Nice course but costly beverages and be prepared to tip"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/06/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

Nice course though on the day we played, though sunny, it was cool and very windy. It was cart path only because the course was very wet. At times, it was so wet I was surprised that let us play at all. Would love to play it again when the course was dry. Beautiful scenery and lots of different birds. 2 things I didn't like about the experience. First thing is you have to valet park and then be shuttled to the Pro Shop. We weren't prepared for that so it was kind of a rush getting things from the car before they took it away. Also provided lots of times when we felt a tip was required so bring lots of small bills. Second thing ... 2 small cups of coffee and a canned soda cost just under $11.