Crystal Springs Golf Course

Indoor practice facilities: Yes

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Average Rating 3.4 stars from 5

Location is convenient to the city near the airport worth the drive   Great for wildlife/ scenic views locals advanced golfers   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers narrow fairways   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views patio dining

"Needed a Reminder of Why I Don't Play Here"

Milton1836292's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2017
Previously played Used cart

Crystal Springs is the easiest course for me to get to, but I always seem to forget why I don't play it that often. I got that reminder while waiting on the first tee. We were third up and the group that was teeing off before us was a five-some. Knowing that we weren't going anywhere, we waited until they all got on the green which took about 10 minutes after all of them had already hit their second shots. Our group of 4, teed off and we still had to wait another 5 minutes for them to clear the green. This was after my snap hook from the first tee, looking for my ball and chipping it back out to the fairway while laying 3. It was pretty much this way for our entire round. We got to #15 in 5 hours and just called it a day after finishing #16.

The course is nice enough. The greens are fast. The layout is good with a few odd looking holes, but this is a nice course overall. Nothing extraordinary, but nice. It was also 85 to 90 degrees by the time we got to the 5th hole so a drink cart would have been a welcome site, which we didn't see until after playing #13. At the turn, they usually have a trailer with refreshments, but that was closed when we got there. They do have water stations with cups on certain holes, which helped. So if you plan to play this course on a hot day, be sure to bring a small cooler with enough hydration to last you the day just in case.

They seem to pack this course in which takes away from the experience and for $79.00, its not the cheapest around. But if you don't want to play 5 to 6 hour rounds, this may not be the best course for you to play on a weekend.

"Up and down"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

The day didn't start out well when my playing partner backed out, due to a bad back. Thus, I got stuck with both green fees ($58 total including booking fee) because it was a Hot Deal on GolfNow.com. Then our threesome was stuck behind three women and a guy, none who had any business on this course, which is not for beginners. The front nine is hilly and somewhat tight with plenty of slopes on the fairways and greens. The back nine is flatter, but has one uphill par 4 followed by a downhill par 3. These two holes backed up quickly and golfers had to sit around. Bottom line, the course can be nice (when it's not too windy) if you get a decent price. I wouldn't pay $50 to play here (I can pay that at Poppy Hills). There needs to be more time between the tee times.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2017

Green is a little bit slow.

You are like playing golf in the zoo. Deers are all around the course. Have fun!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2017

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2017

"Fun course and friendly staff"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2017

Very nice course, good variety of holes and a very welcoming staff.

"Nice course...if you have the time"

slim04's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2017

While I love playing Crystal Springs it is unbelievably slow. The front nine is very challenging as the player is faced with sloped fairways and undulation that places an emphasis on making quality shots, and the picturesque views from the 5th green/6th tee are amazing. The back nine gives the player a chance to catch their breath and hopefully make up a couple of shots on their round. The course warns of "slow play" and encourages players to play "ready golf", but the underlying cause is the ownership group cramming too many players on the course at the same time. Tee times 7 to 8 minutes apart do not allow players to complete a round in an acceptable amount of time. We teed off approximately 10 minutes late (8:40am instead of 8:30am) and the round took approximately 5 hours with group waiting on nearly every tee box. The staff has acknowledged the problem, but have stated the tee times are out of their control. The ownership group needs to take accountability for this.

Commented on 05/02/2017

Your comments would best be directed to Courseco. They manage CS and other bay area and CA courses. Maybe if they hear it enough..

"Overbooked"

GN2017's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2017

It was a nice day, good conditions... So they desired to overbooked the day.... The pace was rediculous we got 15 holes in ,6 hours... Not fair for the players and not good business.... Many people quit after waiting between 25 to 30 mins wait.

"Overbooked."

Rip1209739's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

I had an 11:30 tee time. I know, it's Sunday and it's going to be busy. But not like this. It's a public course and the 5 foursomes in front of me were all over the place, on a par 3 it took them 5 to get to the green.

I quite after 9 holes since it took 3.5 hours to play that.

Just not the course for me.

Course Layout: Poor

u000003193034's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/08/2017

"7 hour round?!?"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/29/2017

Pace of play was horrible! Got through 9 holes in 3.5 hours and there was no end in sight, it just kept getting worse and worse. There were 4 groups on one hole at one point. I picked up my ball and left on the 12th hole. I had to demand my money back talking to 3 people, they eventually gave me half it back. Won't be going back here again. I felt bad for the people teeing off at 1pm,knowing they wouldn't be home in time for dinner.

"Good vista, poor drainage"

fireflygolfer's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/27/2017

The course condition is poor due to recent heavy rain and poor drainage.

Between the dandelion and the sogginess of the rough, it is very difficult if not impossible to find your ball if it is not in the fairway, which was also soggy in many areas. Adding insult to injury it was cart path only for the whole course and some of the greens were sanded recently. When the condition is dry this course can be fun to play.

"Excellent Views"

894613's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/19/2017

Crystal Springs Golf Course is easy to access right off highway 280. I have played it 3 times and have had great experiences every time. It features amazing views over the valley holding Crystal Springs Resovoir (especially the tee off point on hole 6). It is a fairly challenging 18 holes with plenty of opportunities to practice your driver and wood club shots. You may lose a fair amount of balls off-course into deep rough or wooded areas, so bring plenty.

"Course conditions poor after rain"

howardsaccount's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/25/2017

Swampy, muddy, long grass. Hitting balls on the fairway would inspire search parties due to balls getting plugged in mud or dropping into pools of water.

No Thanks for charging full price.

Much better during long stretches of no rain, but then pace of play becomes an issue with many golfers.

"Fairway mud pits"

uTXSJ7621TX's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/23/2017

I like this couse but when it's dry. they should close it down because it is a complete sloppy swap due to all the rains.every ball I hit plug 3 inches deep could never find the ball. I'll be back in July definitely won't play before then

Commented on 02/25/2017

I'm just wondering. Did the pro shop say anything to you about the playability before you ventured out? They should if it's that bad.

"Unplayable Conditions"

golfnski1's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/14/2017

I have played Crystal Springs for 25 years. I have never seen the course so wet and unplayable as yesterday. I figured 5 days after the last rain we have had that the course would be ok, especially on the clearest, warmest sunny day we have had i weeks. But we got no farther than the first fairway, where we lost 2 of three drives, all hit in the fairway, that the course was a total quagmire. The only thing we were told in the pro shop was that it was cart path only...no kidding Sherlock. After cutting back to Pinnicales and other balls we did not care about, and losing a total of 8 balls between the 3 of us, we quit after 9 holes. The pro shop, to their credit did give us a rain check for 9 holes. But it would have been nice if they had been more forthright ahead of time. Now I`m probably not going to play there for at least until summer.

Commented on 02/15/2017

Too bad you weren't better informed by CS. Keep in mind this area has received no less than 22 inches of rain since October and unfortunately CS being an older track, drainage is not what most of us would like. Glad you got a rain check for a partial round.

"Great Layout, Terrible Conditions"

sdgolfer5235's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/12/2017

Our foursome had a good time at Crystal Springs. Good layout, awesome views. However the course was not in playable conditions and I don't think they should have been open to the public. Our group lost 11 balls in the fairways because they were so wet and muddy that any hole with a soggy fairway would just eat up your ball off the tee. One par 5 was so wet and soggy we lost 4 balls between to players. Off the tee in the middle of the fairway and after we drop one on our approach. How can you expect someone to play golf and get penalized for hitting the middle of the fairway only because there play plugged. Bad bad course conditions. Greens hadn't been cut in days.

"Pace of play"

numberoneinlv's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/28/2017

This course has the worst pace of play in the bay area. We teed off 45 minutes late even though the staff told us they were only 10 minutes behind. As compensation we were told they would only charge us the twilight rate, well that never went through. Another let down from crystal springs. My last time paying for this place.

"soggy and sloooowwwww"

jvjones's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/28/2017

I really didn't appreciate paying 80 bucks for a muni with saturated fairways and excruciating slow play. We had to leave after 11 holes. 4hrs into the round. (we made the turn in 3.2hrs.) Brutal. It's sad when you might miss an appt that started 6.5 hrs after the tee time. Thanks for taking my money, I will not be coming back.