Rio Vista Golf Club

2.9198000000 2.9 stars from 5 (162)

• 1000 Summerset Dr, Rio Vista, California 94571, Solano County
  • thegolfclubatriovista.com

Year built: 1996
Architect(s): Ted Robinson, Sr.
Type: Public

GPS: Yes

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 2.9 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for locals seniors advanced golfers   Challenges include water hazards bunkers forced carries   Great for drinks patio dining brunch

"Warning!! Back 9 closed!!"

drhawk21's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/14/2017

I bought a hot deal to play here and when I showed up, I was told the back 9 is closed for maintenance. We had to play the front 9 twice. And after they re-open the back 9 next week, they will be closing the front 9. There was no advisory on this site warning me of this. Plus, the course is in terrible shape. Very long grass in the rough, lost a couple balls that were just off the fairway.

"Worst Course in the Bay Area"

uIKHN3597IK's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/12/2017

This is an updated review as the response I received on this course was bogus and disingenuous The course is in poor, horrible shape due to poor maintenance. The fact of the weather being the cause of the poor maintenance apparently did not affect Rancho Solano, Paradise Valley, Brentwood , etc as claimed in the response. We know that Warrior is selling the course and there is no incentive to do anymore to work on the course. It's a shame as the course could be one of the primer tracks in the area, but bad management and lack of purpose have doomed the course to a candidate for and expanded housing track.

John Rosa

"One of the worse courses in the Bay Area"

uIKHN3597IK's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/12/2017

Rio Vista is in the worse shape of any course in the Bay Area. Golf Now needs to take it off its list of offers. I can't tell you how bad it really is, Golf Now needs to send a secret shopper out to see for themselves. It took 6 hours to play the round due to rough so thick at the second cut that balls were lost in the dandelions and weeds.Bunkers looked like waste area.I could go on, but you get the picture. We will never play there again as it appears they have stopped maintaining the course due to bad management.

Course Layout: Poor

Commented on 03/14/2017

Thank you for playing Rio Vista and also for taking the time to leave your feedback. Our course has had to endure 36 inches of rain in 10 weeks and this is a big reason for the poor conditions. We have been unable to properly work on the golf course. Many courses in the area have not even re-opened because of the damage caused by the excessive rainfall. Notice that there are other reviews here from previous weeks that are 3-4 stars, so the course was much better earlier this year. Give it a little time and the course will come back.

-Warrior Golf

"needs maintenance"

viperider's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2017

Have not played this course in a couple of years. Now I know why. Fairways look like they have not been cut in two years. Bunkers are full of weeds.If you don't stay in the middle of the fairway you will lose your ball in the high weeds off of the fairway. It will be a long time before we play here again.

Commented on 03/14/2017

-Warrior Golf

"Fun round at Rio Vista"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2017

We had a very fun round at this course. It was our first time here and found it challenging. The greens were excellent but the fairways were soggy. For this time of the year, the sogginess is expected. The staff & other players were very helpful, we'll definitely be back!

"January weather"

Edhunter54's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/16/2017

The course is very slick, cart path only but walking on the fairway was exteramly difficult due to the wet conditions. Still a great course but the weather made it very difficult to play. I will g back again when it drys out a little even tho I'm about 1 hr. Away with traffic.

"A darn shame"

Richarddub12344's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/30/2016
Previously played Used cart Cold weather

I played this course when it first opened, quite some time ago and was impressed. After playing it yesterday (12/30) I was quite sad to see how poor shape it is in.

Make no mistake, this is not winter condition, it is pure and inexcusable neglect. Sand traps have grass in them, some have piles of sand obviously there for a long time, dandelions abound, the fairways and greens are mowed granted and the rough is just abandoned seeming, more vacant lot than golf course.

It is a real shame because the layout is very nice and approach shots can be spectacular and very challenging.

My playing partner and I speculated that it seemed like a course bankrupt and soon to close.

"Decent winter conditions"

drhawk21's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/29/2016

Considering the recent rains, the course was in pretty good condition. Except for the bunkers, which were mostly unplayable. Most had deep standing water (I wasn't able to find my ball in the deep muddy water of one fairway trap), or were in poor condition. Otherwise the fairways and greens were in good shape.

A big negative of this course is the lack of a driving range, which the developers removed a couple years ago to build more houses.

"Fast pace improving course"

WenceG's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/22/2016

Great fee, course has had big improvements not crowded play in under 4 hours. Bunkers getting new sand. Green are nice.

"Grossly neglected golf course nearly unplayable"

brittler18's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/27/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I used to love this course, but it's just too neglected to not get frustrated with lost balls and outright disgust for deplorable conditions. If groundskeepers are still employed there, they should be embarassed. The grass and weeds in the rough are too tall to find wayward balls, many areas have no grass at all (=mud), rafts of dead mowings are killing grass beneath them throughout the course, and many bunkers are outright junk pits (holes 13 & 15 especially, what's up?). The whole course needs to be mowed! The one improvement since my last round in the Spring 2016 was that the greens have mostly healed from disease, which had been a big problem in 2015. With all of the other good golfing options in the Bay Area, I can't imagine that this course will survive another year without Rio Vista Trilogy owners support.

"Rio Vista"

leronpat's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/07/2016

Greens were good but the course needed mowing. A lot of their Tee boxes were under repair. Course wasn't in the best condition but still a good value.

"Course is regressing"

Mitch6529008's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/23/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

My wife and I have played this course one or two times a month for the last 3 years. Every time we played we could see improvements, and I began recommending the course to friends. We had not played here in the last 3 months, and were very disappointed in the condition. where the fairways had started to come back, there were now multiple burned out areas. The rough was at least 3 inches high. Muddy areas next to burnt our areas.

All in all, a disappointment.

"All in all nice course"

Bumper1963's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/23/2016

First time playing this course. Unfortunately it has become a victim of the Northern California drought. The greens however, are in great condition and the rest of the course is coming back. It's a wonderful layout for the new golfer. I've been playing less than a year. There are A LOT of geese running around and their byproduct is everywhere. I say give it a go.

WG6523's avatar
Plays:  Twice a year

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/21/2016
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

"It was a great day for a round of golf. They made some improvements."

dyblee's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/13/2016

We played the course a few years ago and didn't like it because the pro shop staff was extremely rude. We were afraid of seeing him again but not this time. They also made good improvements on the course. Enjoyed totally with fantastic time to finish the round at 2:45 hours for 18 holes and good score. Can't wait to go back next week after the rain. Or, maybe not because after rain, this course will not good. Will have to see. Thanks GolfNow.com.

"Poor Course Condition"

bigswede01's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/12/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Large brown scorched areas on the fairways, and ponds filled with algae pea soup, are examples of the lack of care here. The owners (Warrior) and Community (Trilogy) have apparently chosen not to invest in remedying these manageable problems ... which is surprising since Trilogy is actively marketing lots/homes within this community, and presenting a promise of ' enriched amenities'.Warrior is in the business of managing these problems; and Trilogy is in the business of creating communities of pride. Hopefully they choose to team up and solve these problems soon

"Aerating greens I get it"

Plays:  Once every three months

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/25/2016

But the condition of the rest of the course was deplorable. Unplayable bunkers, unkempt areas around the green, bad mowing, and flooded areas in one section, bone dry dirt in others. The only plus point, fantastic layout, very challenging. Hopefully someday this course can be rejuvenated. A real gem potentially.

"Loss of a whole day with my client"

corncraker's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2016

I played this course about 10 years ago and finished it was a beautiful day beautiful Golf Course when I booked it online with GolfNow it said the only issue with the course was that the Greens have been aerated they were in recovery so I picked up my client at 6 a.m. drove 2 hours to the Country Club LOL checked in got to the First Tee all the garbage cans were knocked over there then Grand Central when did the second hole same thing just frustrated already and just went back to the clubhouse and they told me that they lost their funding so they don't take care of the core anymore ask for a refund drove back home to and a half hours seven and a half hours wasted dropped off my client know golf you would think you guys would know about these conditions

"Not worth the price"

John4197320's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2016

First off,

There was water on most of the fairways alongside the mud.

Second,

I was told that all the Sandra's were ground under repair.

That said, if you would like to play golf on this course, I recommend that you play with Mudd boots.

Good luck

"Disappointed Homeowner"

TheSlot's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

I first played this course about 8 years ago and it was PRISTINE.....I made the decision to buy a home here with the hope that the new management company would restore it back to the gorgeous course it once was.....It's apparent that they have given up.....the bunkers and fairways are flooded rendering them unplayable.....the rough is brutal....exposed tree roots and hard packed dirt....this course is more suited as a rock quarry.....As a new homeowner, I am embarrassed to invite my friends and family to play here....I travel to Brentwood or Fairfield to play.....eventually they will just fill it in and build more homes.....The HOA Master Association chose the wrong management company....they should of went with CourseCo...For the record, I have not played here since purchasing my ome in June of its year, but I did walk it and was disgusted

Commented on 07/14/2016

Slot,

Thanks for taking the time to post. We are sorry to hear that you find the course to be in such poor shape. I wanted to set the facts straight on a few things. Warrior Asset Management is not just a management company, we actually own the golf course. There are no plans to build more homes. We have only owned the course for about two years now and have made significant improvements in that time. The golf course still has many areas that need to be addressed and we will continue to work on those things.