Carlton Oaks Lodge & Country Club

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Regular (W) 72 6140 yards 76.3 143
Yellow 72 5684 yards 67.9 125
Yellow (W) 72 5684 yards 73.8 138

Location is convenient to the city in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers locals walkers   Challenges include bunkers water hazards undulating greens   Great for drinks watching the game patio dining

Parris's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/19/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

"Slow, slow, slower"

Statmaster's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/15/2018

Getting worse every time I play here. First of all, I understand that it was a holiday. Having said that, teeing off at 10:00 am and not finishing until after 3:00 pm is ridiculous.

I was especially frustrated when we saw 5-somes on the course AND a 6-some behind us. UNBELIEVABLE!!

Course is in OK shape, but not worth the $40, especially with the slow play (and not just this round) recently.

Won't be back for quite a while.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 01/18/2018:

Thank you for your honest review, we are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. The course was extremely busy due to practice rounds for the PGA Tour Qualifier. Practice rounds for a big event like this tend to slow up play so we appreciate your patience. The day you played was also a Holiday, and many courses were charging Holiday Rates. The $40 rate you paid was actually 20% off our normal rate. As we continue to work with the team on arranging better communication with our Marshall's to keep pace of play up to speed we hope that you will give us another try in the near future. If you would like to discuss the issue further, please email me directly at cory@carltonoaksgolf.com, We appreciate you coming out and hope to see you again soon.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/14/2018

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 01/18/2018:

Thank you for the 4-Star review, we appreciate you coming out to see us!

jwilbanks's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/08/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 01/10/2018:

Thank you for the 4-Star review! We appreciate you coming out to see us and hope you will give us another try in the near future.

"So much brown."

KFranzese's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/08/2018
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Fairways were not overseeded and went dormant and very brown. Leading to most shots feeling like hitting off of hardpan. However, the greens were fairly well kept and nicely green and true rolling.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 01/10/2018:

Thank you for your honest review. The grass on the course in the winter does turn dormant with the cooler days along with the morning frost delays. With the greens and fairways being dormant the course does turn brown and can be harder to play. We appreciate you coming out and hope you will give us another try come spring.

"This course in horrible shape"

dukequesada's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/02/2018

Save your money. Fairways are like playing on a dirt field. Looks like they have not watered in months. Greens are decent but can’t make up for the rest of the poor conditions of the course.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 01/09/2018:

Thank you for your honest review. The grass on the course in the winter does turn dormant with the cooler days along with the morning frost delays. With the greens and fairways being dormant the course does turn brown, but they are certainly not dead. We appreciate and hope you will give us another try come spring.

"Dry"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/30/2017

Corse is dry, like dead. I get that Bermuda goes dormant, but it's a little excessive. Tee boxes resemble sand traps, with bits of grass that was last green during the Bush administration. Greens were bumpy and slow. Started about 40 minutes after our scheduled time, with no explanation or apology from the starter, in fact he eventually gave up and disappeared, leaving us to guess when it was our turn to go. The final parting gift are bunkers filled with a thin layer of fine sand, mud and pea gravel.

The course layout is their only saving grace, offering a wide variety of shot placement vs power holes. Front nine is excellent, back is a little more cookie cutter. Will give it another shot when they turn the sprinklers back on.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 01/09/2018:

Thank you for your honest review, we appreciate your patience as the course is transitioning back into Spring conditions. Thank you for coming out and we hope you will give us another try next month.

"Awful conditions, even worse pace of play"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/30/2017

The greens were in okay condition, but the fairways are awful. A mix of dead, brown grass and dirt patches. I know this happens in the winter here, but for $60 these conditions are just not acceptable. There are many courses nearby in much better condition for the same prIce or less such admiral baker or mission trails

I’m not sure if they are desperate for business or what the issue is, but they decided to let a scramble tournament start in the middle of the morning while regular tee times were already on the course. This was the slowest round I’ve ever played. Took just over 6 hours. Yes 6. I won’t be going back here anytime soon. Very disappointing.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 01/08/2018:

Thank you for your honest review. The grass on the course in the winter does turn dormant with the cooler days along with the morning frost delays. With the greens and fairways being dormant the course does turn brown, but they are certainly not dead. We appreciate your patience regarding the golf tournament, pace of play was slower than expected and we apologize for any inconvenience. We appreciate you coming out to see us and hope you will give us another try come spring.

"Awesome layout and great greens"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/29/2017

So the winter time plays havoc on the Carlton oaks course. The cold weather makes the fairways go dormant. That being said around the greens is perfect. You can imagine what this course would look like when it’s all green. Beautiful !!

The layout is challenging, it’s one of the precursors to Torrey pines for the farmers open. The course is demanding and the greens roll true. The fairways are absolutely dead right now but they still play ok. I absolute love the layout.

I played two days in a row and expect to play two more next week. The course layout again is fantastic. If you play golf for real this is a fantastic track. Forget the brown fairways and play the track. If you can come in the spring when the weather is warmer at night you should get the full experience. Can’t wait for the whole course to be green.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 01/09/2018:

Thank you for the great review! We appreciate the great feedback and patience during the off season. Thank you for coming out and we hope to see you again in the near future.

"Fair course when the rates are low"

Shawn1476067's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/29/2017

Challenging course layout. Greens were average at best probably rolls a 9 on the stimp meter. Would not recommend this course to a beginner golfer. Sand traps everywhere, could use some cleanup on the sand. Only paid 19$ for a cart at twilight which is decent. Took 3 hours for the front 9, there was no Marshall.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 01/09/2018:

Thank you for your honest review. The course is currently transitioning into Spring conditions, we appreciate your patience during this time. Thank you for the feedback regarding any pace of play or course conditions as we will take a closer look into this. Thank you for coming out and we hope to see you again soon.

"Aghast at how the course has deteriorated"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/24/2017

Sad to see such a wonderful Dye course almost go to seed. Dormant fairways, scrub everywhere. Almost shocked to see the greens mowed. Have played here for years visiting from Scottsdale. No more. Looks like a course being neglected prior to being sold off. Sad.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 12/29/2017:

Thank you for your honest review. The grass on the course in the winter does turn dormant with the cooler days along with the morning frost delays. With the greens and fairways being dormant the course does run quicker than normal, and can be more challenging. We appreciate your patience and hope you will give us another try once the course starts to transition back into the warmer spring months.

"Carlton OAKS"

u000003032014's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/18/2017

The fairway on most holes were dry and need water. The greens were in pretty good shape although golfers at this course feel no need to repair their divots. Prices are fair and pace of play for our round was just under 4 hrs. I would recommend this course and will continue to play this course.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 12/21/2017:

Thank you for your review. Our Bermuda grass is currently dormant because of the winter season, watering is not necessary as we just have to wait until spring for the new grass to come in. Many of the courses in Southern California are currently going through this same process. Thank you for coming out and we hope to see you a few more times before the Holidays are over.

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/13/2017

Course was burned out. The greens were the only green area.Lots of roll in the dry fairway s but in general a very tough course.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 12/15/2017:

Thank you for your honest feedback. We appreciate the review and we will take a closer look into this situation. Normally we receive comments of the course being a little wet. I would love to discuses your round further if you could please reach out to me directly at cory@carltonoaksgolf.com. Thanks for coming out and we hope you will give us another try before the Holidays!

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/13/2017

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 12/21/2017:

We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

"Great value"

batray's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/10/2017

Had a good time. Pace of play was great. Course was in good shape.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 12/13/2017:

Thank you for the 5-Star review! We really appreciate the feedback!

"good layout"

harddraw's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/08/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

good layout, average condition. with some effort, could be a great course. at a good price, play it.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 12/13/2017:

Thank you for the great review! We are appreciate the kind words regarding the course layout and our great prices. Thanks for coming out and we hope to see you again this weekend!

"Overall poor conditions - again!"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/07/2017

I live out of state but have played this course about 6 times. The layout and course design is very nice. I will report - again - the course is poorly maintained. Greens were pretty good, but the rest of the course was not. The tees are horrible. The fairways are under watered, with very thin or no grass, and no apparent effort to replant. Bare spots outnumbered grassy spots in the fairways. Only the aprons and areas within 15 yards of greens were watered. Pace of play was below average too.

"Slow play day"

Statmaster's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/01/2017

Need to do something about slow play. Called pro shop on phone after 9 holes (2 1/2 hours) to marshall the course. They sent a kid out with a golf cart. When he came to check on us, I asked what was going on. Said it was "just busy". I asked, "then why is there a 2-hole gap a few holes ahead". Pretty much ignored my comment and did nothing about it. There seems to be a misnomer out at courses like this that nothing can be done. How about owning it and advising your customers that a certain pace of play is expected? You can be nice about it and get the point across. To have to endure an almost 5 hour round of golf is not what I paid for. Pace of play is invaluable for a fun day.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 12/05/2017:

Thank you for your honest review, we are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. The course is extremely busy this peak season and we will work with the team on arranging better communication with our Marshall's to keep pace of play up to speed. If you could please reach out to me directly at cory@carltonoaksgolf.com, I would love to discuss this issue further with you. We appreciate you coming out to give us a try and hope to see you again in the near future.

"Great Course!"

u408206918's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/25/2017

I really like this course. Easy, Moderate and tough holes, I loved the balance on the course. You are able to use your driver, hybrids with long holes. Also, they were really nice par 4s. Course was well maintained and the greens were in great shape. Overall was a great experience, staff was really friendly.

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 11/29/2017:

Thank you for the excellent review. We appreciate the kind words regarding our course layout and staff. Thank you for coming out and we hope to see you again this weekend.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/22/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Response from Carlton Oaks Golf Club on 11/29/2017:

Thank you for the 5-Star review!