Carlton Oaks Lodge & Country Club

3.3203000000 3.3 stars from 5 (306)

• 9200 Inwood Dr, Santee, California 92071, San Diego County
  • (619) 448-8500, 1 (800) 831-6757
  • www.carltonoaksgolf.com

Year built: 1958
Architect(s): William W. Mast (1958), Perry Dye (1989)
Type: Resort

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Regular (W) 72 6140 yards 76.3 143
Yellow 72 5684 yards 67.9 125
Yellow (W) 72 5684 yards 73.8 138

Average Rating 3.3 stars from 5

Location is convenient to the city in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers locals walkers   Challenges include bunkers water hazards undulating greens   Great for drinks watching the game patio dining

"The Oaks giveth and taketh away"

RaiderNSanDiego's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/15/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

(W 70.1/128) I would give an overall rating of 4.6. Carlton Oaks did not disappoint me at all. One hole had a fairway that was very thin in a couple of spots but for the most part I think this is going to be the way of San Diego golf. My belief is that more courses will adopt a semi-links style design with tight fairways vice the lush greenery, that we have grown accustom to for water conservation. Having the fairways in this condition coupled with fluffy first and second cut roughs, makes an interesting decision for your second shot. Do you use the bounce and glide through the grass or use the edge and drive through the rough? Either way there is a hazard waiting for you thus choose wisely.

I’ve always like this course, the greens were a little peppered with ball marks but to the defense of the course the junior world tournament just completed play there. The courses staff was professional and courteous from the pro shop personnel to the service attendant on the course.

I would recommend this course, even though I shot slightly above my index.

"Challenging course"

Statmaster's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Good course, but wouldn't recommend for a higher handicap or beginner. Multiple longer holes, with wind against you on multiple holes. Challenging greens, where pin positions can be made to be extremely tough.

Course is improving in condition, greens are in great shape. Very friendly staff. While not necessarily over-priced, there are better deals to be found.

"A Good Challenge"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/04/2017
Previously played Walked Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

I am a SD local and I have played this course 6 or so times over the last 10 years. Every time I play it, I'm glad I did primarily because the layout is interesting. Also, there are few houses on this course, which is always a plus. There is some freeway noise from the 52 freeway, but it's a peaceful round for the most part.

The lakes, streams, waste bunkers, and bunkers demand accuracy and length from the tee and fairway. Most of the holes are unique and if the wind is blowing west to east, several of the par 4's play really long. Some of the par 3's are tough. Hole 17 is a doozy in that the green is very elevated and if you don't land on it, you are almost sure to be in a bunker. In general the course has small greens. In some cases, I feel that they are unfairly small.

While the course conditions have varied over that period, the conditions have been at least mediocre and more typically are good to great. I found that the course conditions are better than 12 months ago and I attribute this to the record rain in SD in the winter, following a 5+ year drought. My only complaint is that the greens were thin. They rolled fairly true, but I wonder how these greens will look during the heat of summer.

I recommend playing this course in Fall, Winter or Spring, because it can be very hot in inland SD in the summer. One time I played there in August or something and it was 103°F. I'll never do that again. For a comfortable round, play Carlton Oaks when the high temperature in Santee is less than 85°F.

The course is long, but it doesn't have to be. There are six tees. The black tees are 7228 or 7304 yards (depending on the set-up) making it one of the longest courses in the SD area. I play the blue tees which are 6700 yards and I typically score in the 80's. The green tees are 6320 yards, and would be a good choice for moderately skilled golfers playing the course for the first time. I find it odd that there is no tee in the 6450-6550 yard range.

Most recently, I played this course on a Sunday and my tee time was just after noon. The pace of play was excellent because not many people tee off midday. I paid $46 (walking rate), which is a good value. I'd pay as much as $60 (walking) with the good conditions. The starter did allow a fivesome, which bothers me in principal, but my twosome was ahead of it and I could tell that the fivesome allowed other twosomes to play through. A marshal roamed the course and was watching for slow play.

In terms of amenities there is a decent driving range, a chipping area I have not used, and a great putting green with flat and sloped regions. The water coolers on the course are kept full and there

I purchased the French Dip sandwich after the round and sat outside on the patio, which overlooks the putting green, course, and nearby hills. The food was tasty and the view was better.

To sum up, if you want to challenge your skills and get away from it all, play a round at this laid-back course with good amenities.

Commented on 07/12/2017

Useful information as I attack the course Saturday 15Jul17.

"Can Greater San Diego Get Any Better?"

paulgarofoli's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2017

Hidden in the hills of Santee you'll find this great track. Nestled in a flood plain, you'd never know you were in the middle of a densley populated area. With the mountains as a backdrop and the fairways intensely green this may be one of the prettiest public play courses I've had the privilege to try. This course is challenging! There's some significant undulation to the well maintained greens. It's one of those courses that you want to replay with the experience you've gained the first time around. For me, my standard in evaluating a golf course is value. Was the quality of the course worth the green fee? If I get $20 worth of golf for $20 I'm happy. If I get $50 worth of golf for $100 then I'm not. Charlton Oaks was well worth it's fee. BUT PREPARE TO BE CHALLENGED! Mid handicappers or higher should play the whites, which I did. You'll have all you can handle...but you should have fun as well. Insiders tip: Have breakfast (or lunch) at nearby Janet's Cafe & Deli. Great food and gracious service.

"Great play"

Tiamaria's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/23/2017

I don't get to play this course often enough. I'm a novice golfer so it's always a challenge for me. But it's in great condition, and we lucked out with perfect May weather.

"Challenging track"

td5780's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/21/2017

Played this course for the first time while on vacation in San Diego. Read mixed reviews before booking round and called course prior to booking to inquire about conditions. Course was in reasonably good shape and damage caused by flooding in February has diminished for the most part. There were still a few thin spots in the fairways. Greens were in good condition. This is a fun track to play with a few challenging holes requiring precision off the tee. Will probably play again on next visit to San Diego area.

"Nice layout, spotty conditions"

smoothie24's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2017
Previously played Used cart

Hard to believe this site hosted the 1974 NCAA Mens Championship won by Curtis Strange. The layout is very challenging so you should use the proper tees. The conditions are barely playable. There is no sand in many bunkers and weeds growing in many of them. We made a rule for the day that we could move the ball in a bunker no closer to the hole to find a playable location. I understand the economics of golf today but a little 'Round Up' would help.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2017

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2017

cqsterling's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/20/2017

"Not a good experience"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/23/2017

Starter was clueless, no martial on course. The golf cart ran out of juice on 3rd hole, had to call in for another cart. Rough way too long resulting in lost balls. Tees were in very poor condition. Fairways were sparse at best, greens were decent. Probably a good course at one time but more like a cow pasture at present. Obvious some flood damage which was not a fault of course but little effort apparent to repair and restore course. Would not play it again.

Commented on 03/31/2017

Marshall

"Should be better"

reyes9324's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/26/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

I live very close to Carlton Oaks but haven't played there recently because of the condition. But after all the rain we've had I expected the course to be in much better condition, but it wasn't. The tee-boxes are uneven, the fairways just so-so, and the greens pretty bad and no one seems to know how to fix ball marks. The bunkers had large weeds growing out of them and some didn't have rakes to clean up. I wish they would take serious care of this course because I live so close and would love to play it more. But its been bad for years.

"Beautifully designed course!"

mcude987's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/20/2017

I have played a few courses out here in San Diego since moving, but aside from Torrey Pines, I can't think of another course that tops the design and layout of this one! Challenging and unique! If you're a golfer looking to test your skills, look no further. For the price, you definitely cannot beat this course. Definitely gonna be coming back often!

"Course is in Good Shape after rains"

Richard7677823's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/19/2017
Previously played Used cart Cold weather Verified Purchaser

The course was in good shape after all the rain. Still some standing water but never a problem. Very nice staff.

"Could be better"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/13/2017

Could be a great course but it lacks something (money?) to shine.

All the water obstacles are empty and its only mud. Some bunkers are in the same condition.

A shame, could be a pretty good course.

"Great layout/Very Challenging"

JoRo1948's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/10/2017

Great layout if you're a fan of Pete Dye. Course is very challenging and is loaded with the usual PD visual tricks. Greens were nice and fairways okay but the tees could use some work. The rough and the other areas mostly not-in-play look pretty unkept. It spoils the aesthetics but not the playability. If you love a challenge by all means play it.

"Extremely OverPriced"

Jworden2773's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/05/2017

We were excited to play this course after the San Diego Rain. Since they were charging full price ($75.00) we hoped that meant the course was in good condition. ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! The majority of the course was swampy mud. The greens were nice and I would say it will be a legit $75.00 round in 2 months.

Very Upset I wasted $75.00, for what should have been a $35.00 round. Our cart actually got stuck in the mud when being forced to drive around a flooded cart path - since the water was over the tires.

Also, there were so man solos playing that the course of play was either too slow ahead of us, or our 4some constantly had single playing up behind us.

Love the course layout - but charge a fair price when you know the the condition your course is in. VS overcharging and having us find out after the fact while playing.

David2615847's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/14/2017

Socalsam's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/03/2017

"Carlton Oaks"

mkrystek's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/28/2016

The Pete dye design is spectacular but the course condition was marginal. A lot of bare spots in the rough and just messy looking. The tee boxes were marginal some having bare spots as well. The greens were in fairly good condition and rolled true. I would play the course again because I love the layout, it's a great challenge and requires placing of Tee shots to provide proper angles into the green. You can't just blast away on every hole. My criticisms of the course may have been precipitated by water restrictions limiting the greens keepers ability to maintain the course condition. Had an awesome turkey sandwich from the grill may go back for another even on a non-playing day.