The Reserve at Orange Lake Resort

GPS: Yes

Golf school / academy: Yes - "The McCord Golf Academy"

Dress code: Proper golf attire required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Yellow 71 5119 yards 68.3 118

Average Rating 3.5 stars from 5

Location is at a resort near local attractions convenient to the city   Great for seniors playing multiple courses locals   Challenges include water hazards bunkers forced carries   Great for drinks brunch patio dining

"Too bad Too sad"

unbeatablepro's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

having played here many times over the last 5 years....since this management company took over and basically ruined golf all over central florida,,,they took great pride in making this nothing more than a dog track.....can't tell where the rough ends and the fairways start....greens are cancer covered....pathetic shape...should be ashamed to charge money at all.....pretty bad when the tee box is the nicest part of the course.....maybe should put a hole and flag on the tee box and putt first....too bad when a company takes over and ruins it for everybody with their thinking of not putting money in but taking all kinds of money out....nice....NOT....kids playing in greenside bunker on number 4...no marshals...cart girl didn't want to get involved...sad sad days ahead for this resort

Response from Orange Lake Resort on 06/12/2017:

Hi unbeatablepro, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. Our staff is currently working to improve the conditions of the course and we appreciate your feedback about your experience. We hope you give us another shot in the future. Thanks for playing!

"Save your money, play the legends course instead."

Jeff8850150's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/07/2017

This my 2nd time playing this course, I played it back in October 2016... This time around, the course was easily the worst course I've played in my life in terms of condition. The tee boxes and fairways were non existent, and the greens had enough sand to win a sand castle competition... It's a shame too because we actually enjoyed the layout. It's tight and set up for a shot maker and most shots require some creativity. Unfortunately, it only left us trying to come up with creative ideas on how to leave... Courses in this poor of condition should be no more than $20 with a cart. The fact that it is considered a resort course and they charge resort rates is unbelievable. If you're staying at the resort, save your money and play the legends course, or just go somewhere else. There are some positives though.... the staff was very friendly and the pace of play was very good. They just need to take some time and give the course some love. With some work, this would be an outstanding and challenging track.

Response from Orange Lake Golf on 06/09/2017:

Hi Jeff8850150, thanks for taking the time to leave us a detailed review. We appreciate your feedback about our course conditions and apologize they weren't up to par during your round. Our staff is currently working to improve them. We are happy to hear the positives about the pace of play and the friendliness our staff. We hope you give us another shot sometime in the future. Thanks for playing!

"Needs Work"

fritzmark's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/05/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Greens were decent for being punched recently, but fairways and tees need a lot of work.

Response from Orange Lake Resort on 06/08/2017:

Hi fritzmark, thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. We're sorry to hear the course conditions were not up to par during your round, but are glad to hear you enjoyed the course layout and the pace of play. We hope you give us another shot in the future. Thanks for playing Orange Lake!

"It sux"

Mike1402518's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2017

This course is not worthy of your worst effort. Narrow fairways, small greens in poor shape. It is not even pretty. We will quit golfing rather than play here again.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2017

Response from Orange Lake Golf on 05/31/2017:

Thanks for the 5-star review!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2017

Response from Orange Lake Golf on 05/23/2017:

Thanks for the great review!

"Don't believe the hype."

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/18/2017

Very disappointed with the staff and amenities. My bag was strapped on backwards and they don't even have wet towels.

Response from Orange Lake Golf on 05/23/2017:

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We apologize for the bad experience with our staff. These are not the standards we strive for at Orange Lake Golf. We hope you give us another shot in the future.

"Okay at right price"

davidmewton's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

The course is clearly in need of love and attention. A lot of damage on a number of greens and areas of fairways & tees in need of attention. Bunkers looked to be well maintained...which was a little odd! Course state partly down to lack of rain I'm sure.

Nice lay-out but very American....driver off every par 4 for instance.

Worth playing but not for more than I paid($26 total).

"good course for any golfers"

uJAFW4254JA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

This is a resort golf course. The course was in good shape even due to lack of rain. The price is reasonable now; because snowbirds are gone to

the homes.

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2017

"Needs work"

tomt32707's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2017

First few holes pretty rough conditions. Back nine in better shape. Greens need work, clumps of weeds throughout. Mostly narrow shotmakers layout. We were staying at the resort so very convenient but I wouldn't go out of my way to get here until conditions improve.

"The Reserve at Orange Lake"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2017

Course was in ok shape given that the area has had little rain. Would definitely play again anytime worth the money and the course is quite challenging...

"Golfing trip"

u284320591's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2017

Course conditions were the worst of all six we played. Very little if any grass left on fairways, greens were so hard that balls would bounce several times and then run a great distance and as for putting, well, lest just say it would be easier on cement.

Course Layout: Poor

"All dried out"

crookster100's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Half the course was so dry there was little if any grass to hit off. I understand the drought but how can you charge a premium rate and not water the tees and greens. The tees were horrible barely any grass and totally full of weeds this course wont be playable again until it can be reseeded and it rains. STAY AWAY don't waste your money

"Course needed lot of work"

quegrace's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/27/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

This course needed a lot of work. I had 5 clients from out of town and it was kind of embarrassing.

"Great first round of golf on vacation"

JDawe25's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2017

Despite the weather and the lack of rain in central Florida the course conditions hold up quite well. Fairways were still green with the scattered dry spot, the greens were in great condition, considering the weather, with only minimal dry/patchy spots but they rolled true. Some of the water hazards no longer have any water in them but are clearly marked. Staff was very friendly including bag pickup and drop off at our vehicle with a cleaning. Over 18 holes we seen the snack cart 7 times and they provided us with some ice for our cooler. Got a "hot deal" on Golfnow which made the price great. The only complaint, which was not the fault of the course, was the pace of play. We got stuck behind a slow foursome and threesome which made our round ~4.5 hours. Overall, it was a great course to play my first round of the year, and the first round vacation.

Rick1123821's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2017

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2017

Churrogers's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2017

Response from Orange Lake Resort on 04/25/2017:

Thank you for the kind words! We hope to see you again soon!

"The Negative Reviews Are Wrong"

Ckulb7820's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/16/2017

It's going to be tough for me to say anything negative about any OL course, but I will be honest.

The course is indeed the worst I have ever seen it. My dad and I have been owners at OL since 2001, and that was back when the Legends was new, and the Legends Walk course was well taken care of, and there were 3 9-hole courses. The Reserve wasn't even a thing yet.

In 2001, the golf was owned and operated by the resort. Somewhere around 2009, the golf portion at OL was sold or leased (not sure which) to a private golf course management company that has allowed it to go downhill. Legends Walk used to be appealing by itself - 5 sets of tees, very nice tee boxes, employees mowing and taking care of it every morning...this is no longer the case.

The Reserve I believe opened in maybe 2008, after the 3 9-hole courses were changed and turned into Crane's Bend and The Reserve.

Now for the actual review. You will be greeted by a bag drop representative who will put your clubs on a cart for you. The cashier checking you out inside the "Clubhouse" (The Marketplace) may not be a golf representative at all...he may be an everyday OL employee. This is much different than the experience down the road at The Legends.

You won't be given tees anymore like you were in 2001, or hot OL embroidered towels. You won't be given any sleeves of balls or range balls anymore either. It's a golf course on a resort that is no longer incredibly appealing to big snowbird golfers. If you are seeking a place that is going to give you more perks and more options for $30, you're probably at the wrong place - but let me know where you go because for $30 I'm happy to be able to get a cart with my round.

You will be checked in by a starter who will tell you the pin positions. You won't have a GPS in your cart like you do at other, more upscale courses. You may not have a pin position card in your cart. You may not have sod in your cart to replace divots, and you may not even have a cooler. I believe we had a cooler, but no divot replacement sand/sod.

You will head to the first hole and likely be delighted by the shorter distances; even from the tips the course is not very long. However it is challenging, and occasionally forces you to leave the driver in the bag. I have been playing for a long time, I carry a 3.7 handicap, and can drive the ball over 300 yards...I continue to find this course very enjoyable because I don't hit driver on every hole. There are some forced carries, and there are some serious bunkers out there.

As of this review, April 2017, the course is dry. Very dry. However - I'm not going to beat up OL the way that other reviewers did. We went and played 2 Disney courses, Mystic Dunes, and other courses in the area, and every single course had the same problems.

The fairways are dry at The Reserve, but they are not brown and beat up - yes, maybe on a hole or two, but they are not brutal. Four or five of the greens may have some patches, but every course in the area has the same problem. Do realize that they are not charging top rates, and I bet when the off-season comes in a few weeks, they will rip the greens out and make them what they once were.

Florida is going through an incredible drought right now. This is not the course's fault. The only fault I put on the course is the poor management and the decision to sell-out years ago. The place used to be something I couldn't wait to go play, and now its just Florida golf to me. They seeded too early, that's fairly obvious, but the lack of rain has hurt them too. There isn't much you can do about that.

I always enjoy my golf at OL. I enjoy being an owner here. I enjoy spending $30-$40 to play 18 holes with a cart when it's snowing at home.