The Reserve at Orange Lake Resort

• 8505 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy, Kissimmee, Florida 34747, Orange County
  • (888) 657-3529 , (407) 239-1050
  • www.orangelake.com

Year built: 1982
Architect(s): Joe Lee, Mike Dasher (2005)
Type: Resort
Greens: Mini-Verde
Fairways: Bermuda

GPS: Yes

Golf school / academy: Yes - "The McCord Golf Academy"

Dress code: Proper golf attire required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Yellow 71 5119 yards 68.3 118

Average Rating 3.5 stars from 5

Location is at a resort near local attractions convenient to the city   Great for seniors playing multiple courses locals   Challenges include water hazards bunkers forced carries   Great for drinks brunch patio dining

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2017

Churrogers's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2017

"The Negative Reviews Are Wrong"

Ckulb7820's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/16/2017

It's going to be tough for me to say anything negative about any OL course, but I will be honest.

The course is indeed the worst I have ever seen it. My dad and I have been owners at OL since 2001, and that was back when the Legends was new, and the Legends Walk course was well taken care of, and there were 3 9-hole courses. The Reserve wasn't even a thing yet.

In 2001, the golf was owned and operated by the resort. Somewhere around 2009, the golf portion at OL was sold or leased (not sure which) to a private golf course management company that has allowed it to go downhill. Legends Walk used to be appealing by itself - 5 sets of tees, very nice tee boxes, employees mowing and taking care of it every morning...this is no longer the case.

The Reserve I believe opened in maybe 2008, after the 3 9-hole courses were changed and turned into Crane's Bend and The Reserve.

Now for the actual review. You will be greeted by a bag drop representative who will put your clubs on a cart for you. The cashier checking you out inside the "Clubhouse" (The Marketplace) may not be a golf representative at all...he may be an everyday OL employee. This is much different than the experience down the road at The Legends.

You won't be given tees anymore like you were in 2001, or hot OL embroidered towels. You won't be given any sleeves of balls or range balls anymore either. It's a golf course on a resort that is no longer incredibly appealing to big snowbird golfers. If you are seeking a place that is going to give you more perks and more options for $30, you're probably at the wrong place - but let me know where you go because for $30 I'm happy to be able to get a cart with my round.

You will be checked in by a starter who will tell you the pin positions. You won't have a GPS in your cart like you do at other, more upscale courses. You may not have a pin position card in your cart. You may not have sod in your cart to replace divots, and you may not even have a cooler. I believe we had a cooler, but no divot replacement sand/sod.

You will head to the first hole and likely be delighted by the shorter distances; even from the tips the course is not very long. However it is challenging, and occasionally forces you to leave the driver in the bag. I have been playing for a long time, I carry a 3.7 handicap, and can drive the ball over 300 yards...I continue to find this course very enjoyable because I don't hit driver on every hole. There are some forced carries, and there are some serious bunkers out there.

As of this review, April 2017, the course is dry. Very dry. However - I'm not going to beat up OL the way that other reviewers did. We went and played 2 Disney courses, Mystic Dunes, and other courses in the area, and every single course had the same problems.

The fairways are dry at The Reserve, but they are not brown and beat up - yes, maybe on a hole or two, but they are not brutal. Four or five of the greens may have some patches, but every course in the area has the same problem. Do realize that they are not charging top rates, and I bet when the off-season comes in a few weeks, they will rip the greens out and make them what they once were.

Florida is going through an incredible drought right now. This is not the course's fault. The only fault I put on the course is the poor management and the decision to sell-out years ago. The place used to be something I couldn't wait to go play, and now its just Florida golf to me. They seeded too early, that's fairly obvious, but the lack of rain has hurt them too. There isn't much you can do about that.

I always enjoy my golf at OL. I enjoy being an owner here. I enjoy spending $30-$40 to play 18 holes with a cart when it's snowing at home.

"Course is in horrible condition,"

Jrsweeton's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2017

The course is in very poor condition, the fairways were mostly dirt and the greens were in very poor shape. After the round we complained about the conditions and we were told that the course is going to be close soon to try to bring it back into shape. Clearly not worth $45

"Disappointed"

mydearrose's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2017

We play this course everytime we are in Orlando as Orange Lake owners. What a disappointment. The fairways were barren, the greens were not much better in places, the flowerbeds were full of weeds. We played winter rules so we could find some grass to play off on the fairways. Not sure if we will ever play there again after this experience when there are so many other courses in the area and for much less.

"sad shape"

izzywuzzy's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/11/2017

I play this course every time I am in Orlando but this is the first time I was ever disappointed. I know the weather had been hot and dry but nothing could have prepared me for the mess we faced. we were not told what shape the course was in until the starter told us we may want to play rollovers in the fairway if we could find some grass. The tee boxes and fairways were barren and the greens were also patchy. I could understand if all courses were like this but we played a number of others and this was the worst. I hope the course gets the TLC it requires and can get back to its former shape.

"You better be on your game when you play this track."

golfdealseeker's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2017

This is course that was designed through a time share / condo complex. Almost all of the holes are either bordered by condo's, thick Florida scrub (bushes, cypress, and pine trees). You really need to be on your game and if it is a windy day you need to be able to flight the ball down and have really good control of your iron game. Many of the greens are guarded by either ponds or sand traps.

While this is a straightforward golf course it is one of the toughest I've played in the Orlando area. We did see a small gator in one of the ponds, which is kinda cool. One of my approach shots ended up a bit short and rolled back into the water surrounding the green, saw a gator quickly swim to the ball. I assume he thought it might be dinner. It did give me new respect on not to go after a golf ball when it rolls into a pond. This alligator swam much faster than I know I can move.

Staff was friendly and accommodating.

Not sure if I would play again, very difficult course and there are other courses in the area that are better suited to my style of play. Normally I shoot in the mid to high eighties and I carded a 3 digit score on this tight track.

Response from Orange Lake Golf on 04/14/2017:

Thanks for the review! We're happy to hear you enjoyed our challenging layout. We hope to see you again soon!

"Nice greens, rest of the course needs some love"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2017

I've played this course multiple times and I have to say that this is the worst I've seen in. The saving grace was that the greens were in good shape, had great speed and ran true. That made the fact that the rest of the course was in really bad shape bearable.

Michel6170933's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/08/2017

"Challenging course but fun."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2017

Fairways and greens in great shape. A fun but challenging course we enjoy playing when in town.

"Poor poor poor conditions"

Golfer1234556789's avatar
Age:  Under 25

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/04/2017

Have vacationed here many times, and have always picked the reserve course over legends or cranes bend. The course has always been in immaculate shape and the staff has always been spot on. However, today I showed up, they put my bag on a cart, I went into the pro shop paid my cheap greens fee and took off to 1 tee. I was immediately disappointed by the course just by looking at the 1st tee box. Very dry, bare, and weeds up to my calves! The fairway on hole 1 was the same way, weedy and bare. This was basically the same conditions throughout the whole front nine. Finally we got to the back, which is in far better shape. The front was so bad I almost returned my cart and left the joint after the front 9! This resort golf courses are owned by a company that buys courses around central Florida for cheap and maintains the off bait minimuns and the company is called Integrity. I have played many integrity ran courses surround central FL (rio pinar, hunters creek, ridge wood lakes) and orange lake has always been the best and has always been my favorite. However, after playing it today, I almost never want to play again. Every other integrity course is like Augusta National to this course. And remember, it's integrity,, they maintain courses off bare minimums. Staff was very rude, and had attitudes. The bag guy didn't clean my clubs after, didn't even say hello or how my round went. He even actually stole my water bottle after we I pleasantly asked him to put in my cart when I first arrived. However greens were averse but Never will play again.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/04/2017

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2017

I have played this course a few times during each trip to Florida. This is theworseshape it has been in. Bad greens....etc. I would not play here again.

"WARNING! STAY AWAY"

Jimagnew's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/30/2017

Course conditions have gone straight downhill since we played last year at this time. Fairways are bare, greens are bumpy, tees are terrible. Of the 10+ courses I played in the last 2 months this by far is in the worst condition. Should have paid $15-$19 instead of $50. Went to rake a bunker and the rake broke! Cart girl didn't have change so I paid $5.00 for a Gatorade!

"Nice layout"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2017

Fairways were in rough shape, some t boxes as well, greens were decent

"This course went down hill"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/27/2017

Played in January course was in decent shape thought we would play it again. The fairways were very bad and the greens were slow and bumpy.

Response from Orange Lake Golf on 04/05/2017:

We're sorry to hear that our course conditions at the Reserve Course were not up to par for your round. We're always working hard to improve and your feedback helps us achieve that. We hope you give us another shot soon!

"Orange lake reserve"

aparis2's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/27/2017

This course is in a mess. The fairways were in very bad shape hardly anys good grass and the greens were just average. This was my first time at this course but for the price you can find better courses in the same area. I don't know if it's the lack of water but they really need to do something about their fairways.

Andre

"Course conditions not great"

martin82robb's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2017

Owner at the resort for 10 years. This is the worst I have seen it.

That being said, it has been a dry winter. We flew from Canada to play Orange lake courses. Disappointing to see the conditions....But it sure beats what we have back home.

Staff were great. No issues there at all

"Scenic layout but in poor condition"

uXUWM8817XU's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2017

Scenic layout in a lovely resort but the course was in very poor condition.

Response from Orange Lake Golf on 04/05/2017:

Thank you for taking the time to review our course. We're sorry to hear the course conditions didn't meet expectations. We are currently working hard to improve and appreciate the feedback. It's great to hear you enjoyed our scenic layout and hope you give us another shot in the future.

"Horrible Conditions"

mickk's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2017

I have been playing here for 20+ years and this is the worst conditions I have ever seen. Apparently integrity golf has taken over the last three years and have ruined what was above Average conditions. Can't blame it on the weather since the other course which is nine holes, cranes bend, is in fine shape. Their fairways are what we were used to playing on at the reserve. Tremendous amount of work to be done