Dancing Rabbit Golf Club - The Azaleas

Dress code: Proper attire is required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Silver 72 5802 yards 68.5 120

Location is worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes undulating greens

"Worth the gamble"

BrandonWebb's avatar
Birmingham Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/25/2016
First time playing Walked Cold weather

The course is still in the transition period since switching from Bent to Bermuda greens in September. Greens were very firm, but were fast and putted true. One of the first things you'll notice is the size of the greens. Three-putt beware. I really thought the layout of the course is solid. The holes are really good and a few stand out. The par-4 third hole offers a split fairway. The pin was tucked in the back left of a green that tilts from right to left, allowing for feeding the ball to the pin, and guarded by a large bunker in front. Excellent strategy hole. The par-4 ninth hole is memorable as well. Fairway is wide off the tee, but the second shot required another precision approach to a back pin, guarded by a meandering creek. The back 9 was very enjoyable, until arriving at the 18th. This is a meaty one, playing 400+yards from the white tees, and 505 yards from the tips. Tee shot is uphill, so there is little to no roll out. The second shot plays slightly downhill, but will require nearly 200 yards with no bailout right, due to a pond. This course will continue to get better and better as the greens mature. I absolutely think the decision to do so was the correct one: bent greens in the Deep South heat is a tall task to keep them at a championship caliber. Very good practice facility. Lots to do off the course. The nearby casino offers gambling and shows. There is also a second course, the Oaks.

"Great Day for a round of Golf."

Handicapman88's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/02/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather

The staff at Dancing Rabbit are very friendly and helpful. The course was not busy the day we play at the Oaks. This allowed us to take our time and enjoy a great round of golf. The greens were well groomed. I'm looking forward to coming back in the fall.

"Oaks Course Has Some Serious Trouble on the Greens"

CaptWillard's avatar
Mississippi Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/31/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Previous review was for the Azaleas course. Not sure why Golf Advisor has combined the reviews for these two separate courses, but hey, whatever.

This was my first trip to the Oaks course in about a year and a half, and what used to be a flawless course is really having some problems on the greens right now. On several greens (perhaps half of them), large sections of turf have been pulled up and new sod has been laid down in their place. I'm no horticulturist, but it's the middle of summer, and in all this heat, the sod clearly is not taking very well. To their credit, maintenance staffers were at pretty much all these greens spraying the sod with lots of water, but that means you have to wait for the guys to finish watering and leave the green. That was equally annoying as the unplayable sections of the putting surface. I never thought I'd be disappointed in Dancing Rabbit, but I left this round genuinely shaking my head. I'll certainly be back, but not until I'm sure enough time has passed for the greens to have come together.

"Turf Issues"

CaptWillard's avatar
Mississippi Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

I wish I could give a 4.5-star rating, because it's not fair to say that this course -- even on its worst days -- is merely a "good" course. It's a gem. But it's a Golf Digest Top 100 course now, and along with that distinction comes some responsibilities -- like making sure the details are taken care of. And they just weren't.

First, the greens had been punched. I know that's unavoidable, but a little advance warning would have been appreciated so that I could have picked another day to play.

Second, a handful of greens (i.e., more than two) had spots that were just burned up. That's inexcusable on a course of this quality.

Third, every now and then you'd find a place in the fairway where the grass was just too thin. It's demoralizing to hit a good tee shot and to be punished for it by having to hit off the mud.

All that said, this is still a terrific course. The land is so beautiful that it will always be a great place to play. And the staff couldn't have been nicer. But if Dancing Rabbit is going to become a perennial Top 100 course rather than a one-and-done, then it has to mind the details.

"The Course was a swamp"

uPDMD6329PD's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/24/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

The course had received a lot of rain recently and was nearly unplayable. the green had drained fine however the fairways were a swamp. Probably the course should have been closed. I'm certain the course is or will be a fine place to play after it dries out which could take days. Unfortunately I had a prepaid tee time and a cancellation was not an option.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"Beautiful course"

kmfolse's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/17/2015

Winter and a weeks worth of rain before I played took a little toll on the courses condition. Otherwise, this course is one of the best I've ever played.

"best course in ms."

uUUSI7846UU's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/29/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

The seventh hole,167 yard par 3 is extremely easy------I had A HOLE IN ONE!!!!!!!

"Many challenging holes"

pluto1945's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/28/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

this course has many challenging holes. a very senic course

"Excellent course"

Eddie2851296's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/12/2014

One of the nicest courses I've played on. Course was in excellent shape...greens were great!!! Beautiful course...breathtaking scenery all along course. Layout of the Oaks course is great!!! Played the Azalea course the last time...and loved it also!!! I love this course ...I not only recommend it, but highly encourage you to make the trip to the Dancing Rabbit !!!

"Great winter value"

MorrisEugene's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/28/2014

I am from Atlanta and was in Mississippi for Thanksgiving. I usally play in Jackson but tool a chance on "The Rabbit". I now will split my golf between Jackson and Philly.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"A Must Play, but book online!"

randym22's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/28/2014
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

I played the Azaleas course and what a treat. The layout was awesome and the course was in perfect shape. Only complaint were the bunkers, OMG the sand is softer then beach sand! They really need to do something about that, so stay away from the bunkers at all cost. But other than the bunkers, the course was in perfect shape! A must play when in the area.

Now for the BOOK ONLINE piece:<br/> I was visiting family in Meridian and decided to drive up and check the course out. When i got there, they were having a tournament, so no T-Times until after 12:30. I was a single and asked to be paired, in which they said probably around 1:20. The Pro told me I could hit balls and practice until then, as the range already had balls setup. I hit balls for a hour then ate lunch, which was awesome! Then went to the pro shop to pay for a round. Looked like i was only gonna have time for 9 holes, so I asked for the that. I was quoted $100! I then told the guy that golf now had a full round online for $60. The pro then came out and said that was there standard rates, and he could give me 9 for $50. I pulled up golf now on my phone, and there was the $60 rounds, and I also found a $30 round at 1:40! I booked the $30 round and the pro watched it come in on his computer, so be aware and don't pay the full $100.

"Challenge!!!"

Jay5429953's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/26/2014

Elevation, hazards, over hanging trees, fast bent grass greens. What more can you add to make this course more challenging!!! Beautiful scenic layout.

"Nice course"

jdc430's avatar
Kentucky Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/25/2014
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I played this course as part of a tournament, so I don't really know what the green fees normally are. The course is a nice course, with many up hill approach shots. This will normally require you to hit an extra club and be aggressive, the greens will hold. The greens check more than any bent greens I have ever played on, maybe just a bigger blade strain. Fairways were firm, and the rough shows signs that it will go dormant in the next few weeks, but you still have some time before then.

My only complaint about the course are the bunkers. There is too much sand in them and you will get a fried egg most of the time and that will cost you several strokes.<br/> I would come back again, but would really want to see it in the spring when the course is in the prime growing period.

"Beautiful!!!!"

Jay5429953's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/25/2014

Lots of elevation that winds through trees ovFer small creeks. Ball placement is key and distance control is must!

"Best in Mississippi"

RedNole's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2014

Traveling out to Dancing Rabbit I recalled all of the comments people have told me about the Azalea course, “The Augusta you can play”, that’s a tall order to live up to for any course, but this course did its best. The azaleas were in full bloom and it helped frame each hole nicely. Being from Florida I don’t get to play on bent grass greens much and this put me at a complete disadvantage. You need to pay attention to the greens as you can easily three putt each one of them if you’re not careful. Great thing about this course is it shows you everything from the tee but challenges you on every shot. If you find your way to Philadelphia, MS you need to stop by for 18 or better yet 36.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Best kept secret in Mississippi"

Demike's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/17/2014

We played the course on a short 4 guy vacation. The facilities were awesome and the staff was helpful and friendly. This course somewhat mirrors Augusta with beautiful Azaleas and tall trees surrounded by pine straw. It is a tough course that utilizes every club in your bag. The greens were beautiful and the sand traps were well-manicured. Practice range and putting greens were nice. The facilities for lodging were great and for those who like a casino, that was available as well.<br/> We have already made arrangements to return next year. This is a must play!