Gold/Blue at Ocotillo Golf Course

Pull-carts: No
Caddies: No
GPS: No

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Collared shirt required, no denim
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Championship 72 6729 yards 70.8 128
Middle 72 6379 yards 69.7 128
Other 72 6028 yards 68.2 125
Forward (W) 72 5128 yards 71.3 128

Average Rating 4.3 stars from 5

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers locals playing multiple courses   Challenges include water hazards bunkers forced carries   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Great layout; poor course conditions"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2017

Played this course many times. Always said that if I could play only one golf course the rest of my life it would be Ocotillo. Nevertheless, my foursome was very disappointed with the course conditions, especially many of the greens. The course is also showing signs of deferred maintenance. I'm hoping there aren't water issues. I'd hate to see Ocotillo go the way of the Ahwatukee golf courses, or become too expensive for the average golfer.

Commented on 06/14/2017

Good Morning and Thank you for taking time out of your day for your review. Thank you for your kind words in the past - I am interested in looking into this more. Do you have any specific areas where the course conditions didn't meet your expectations? The only reason I ask is because I recently played the blue golf course and noticed that the greens were in the best shape (Speed & Reaction) that I've seen for this time of year over the past 7 years I've worked here. Thank you!

"It's been better"

johnphillipsaz's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2017

II'm not sure why, maybe the summer grass is not growing yet but this was the worst condition I've ever seen this course in. Driving range grass was sparse and ground was hard. Fairways very thin., bunkers were hard packed and need some deep raking. Greens and tee boxes were average but not as good as in the past. In general the course looks like they stopped watering.I hope this is just because the grass has not started growing. Very sad to see this gem of a course in such a state.

Commented on 06/07/2017

Thank you for taking time out of your day for the review John. We are going through an irrigation renovation on the Gold Golf Course (Currently) and a couple days ago there was a problem with the main water line and we were unable to the entire golf course for about 36 hours. I am guessing that is the reason why the ground seemed hard and the fairways seemed thin. During the irrigation renovation, we will be doing a lot of work on our bunkers as well.

"Great Course"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2017

I liked this course a lot. The only downside was the pace, I made a single tee time and wasn't assigned to any other groups, I believe the staff can do better at this. I had to skip a hole to get infront of a foursome and twosome that didn't allow me to pass thru or didn't ask me to join them either.

Commented on 05/31/2017

Good Morning and thank you for taking time out of your day to write your review. It looks like you played on Memorial Day which was a very busy day for us. Not exactly sure what happened and why you weren't paired up - I would like to look into this further. What time did you play and what was the name on the tee time?

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2017

"Ocotillo is in great shape"

mszathmary's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2017

Have not been out here in quite awhile. The course, is exactly as I remember. Great condition, wonderful staff & immaculate grounds. If you have not been here in awhile. I recommend you visit Ocotillo soon.

Commented on 05/29/2017

Thank you for taking time out of your day to write this review. We are so glad you enjoyed your round. Come out and see us again real soon!

Tlacher's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2017

"Great challenge for all,you will use every club"

Terry955's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2017

I enjoy playing at Ocotillo, the course Is always in great shape . You get a chance to hit all of your shots. If I lived here I'd play here a couple times a week.

Commented on 05/19/2017

Thank you Terry - I appreciate you taking time out of your day to write such a nice review. We hope to see you again real soon!

"Fun course and layout is great but Tee Boxes are a horrible!"

speed1969racer's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2017

Enjoyed my play here great scenery and lots of water for the money. I have heard this isn't a Troon managed course any longer. Looks like Troon let the tee boxes go over the past couple of years. Can't understand who was putting up the tee off markers but played the Blues and I have never played with such poor uneven boxes at such a nice course.

Commented on 05/19/2017

Thank you for your review speed1969racer - we have heard you (and others) and are going to be leveling a number of our tee boxes this summer. Come back again when their completed and see the finished product. You will notice the difference!

"Fun course if you're playing well"

berg8624's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2017

Took a Tuesday afternoon off, and played in under 3 hours... can't beat that! Course was in good shape, and was a good value for the price I paid. Only complaint would be some of the bunkers are light on sand so that cost me a couple of strokes as greenside bunker shots were nearly impossible.

"Challenging course with plenty of water hazards"

Anthony1951056's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2017

This course will test your mental game as the water hazards come into play on many of the holes. So, some challenging decisions need to be made as to laying up or going for it. Big difference from the back tees vs the front. Over all, excellent course, great service and pace of play is outstanding.

Commented on 05/09/2017

Thank you for taking time out of your day for your review and your kind words. We hope to see you again real soon!

"Really unique golf experience"

matt175051's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/06/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

This is a really cool golf course. It's a park layout with water everywhere. It's a fair course and not too difficult, unless you plan on spraying the ball. A nice change of pace if you are looking for something other than desert golf in Arizona. There's three nines (we played on White and Gold). Good value for the money and great amenities.

"water and towels"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/04/2017
Previously played Used cart Verified Purchaser

always enjoy this course when we visit-think water and towels in cart would be a nice touch

Commented on 05/08/2017

Thank you for taking time out of your day to write this comment. I think that is a great idea with water and towels. With extra items, comes extra costs unfortunately. Out of curiosity, would you pay an additional $5 for your round if these were included?

Kaimuki's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/04/2017

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2017

"Don't go when their is a tournament..."

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2017

My big recommendation is that they shouldn't have given so many tee times when there was a tournament. I ended up leaving in the middle of my game because I got tired of waiting for the people in front, which was ALL back to back.

Commented on 05/01/2017

Good Afternoon - Thank you for taking time to write this review. I would like to look into this further. There were only a few times that would have been impacted by the event we were hosting and that would have been for the front nine only. Not sure what happened. What time did you tee off on April 30th?

"Ocotillo fun"

u000006209929's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2017

This Troon course is in great condition. One of the better courses I've played since moving to Phx. I live in Scottsdale but the drive south was worth it. Challenges all golfers.

Commented on 05/01/2017

Thank you for your review and for making the drive down to see us! We hope to see you again real soon.

garysallynew's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/27/2017

"Time For a Change"

Bobemac's avatar
Texas Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2017

This was our first visit to Ocotillo, a course in transition, as it was purchased recently by the Phil Mickelson group. The change from Troon Management happens May 1.

The three layouts Gold, Blue, and White are interesting and challenging with plenty of water hazards to deal with.

The course appears a little tired with multiple brown areas on the fairways.

The peace and beauty here is degraded by the overwhelming presence of houses around every part of the course. It's noisy here with lots of maintenance and construction work going on.

Our experience with the Pro Shop was enhanced by the presence of Brent who made an effort to be outstandingly helpful and friendly.

Everybody here was great, the cart guys, the starter, and especially the servers in their restaurant.

The greens were not very smooth, they were bumpy and uneven.

They were guilty here of running a big tournament without notifying players who followed. This should be de rigor that whenever a tourney is planned golfers should always get a heads up. The course is aware of tournaments months in advance.

We played the Gold nine at a good pace but ran into the remnants at the start of the blue nine. There was no Ranger on the course.

Hi Bob -

Thank you for taking time out of your day to write this review. Great to hear you had a great experience with our staff. During this time of year, we go through transitioning of our grasses from Winter Rye to Summer Bermuda. During that timeframe some areas appear to be brown in color. It's not from a lack of water, I can assure you that. Same thing with the greens - different turf types can cause discoloration in the putting surfaces. This is odd that you found them bumpy as we've been hearing some good comments about our greens. I'll make sure to bring both these items up to our Superintendent. When I looked at your tee time, there was no tournament around you - not sure what tournament you would've run into? We hope to see you again the next time you're in town.

grant3245368's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2017

"FabulS golf course"

Becklwh's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2017

If you are ever in the area play this gold course, it is fabulas, friendly staff, well kept greens and fairways,,,very please with my round there.

Wayne

Commented on 04/24/2017

Thanks for the review Wayne - we hope to see you again real soon!