SunRidge Canyon Golf Club

Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Pull-carts: No
Caddies: No
GPS: Yes

Golf school / academy: Yes - "Jim McLean Golf School"

Dress code: Collared shirt required, no denim
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Average Rating 4.2 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views a bucket list/top 100 pick   Challenges include elevation changes forced carries bunkers   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"SunRidge Canyon"

dougrempp's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/23/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

I wanted to try this course a few miles from my home in Scottsdale. We have only had a home in Az the last 30 ish days and I have had a chance to play a few different courses in the area. I found the conditions at SunRidge to be top notch. I was very impressed with the all things grass at the course. The grass on the Tee's through the Greens was in the best shape that I have seen at a course in a long time. The course takes you out 9 holes from the Clubhouse down into a Canyon and then brings you back. Many great views as you work your way around. Lots of wildlife. The last 6 holes are named the "Wicked 6". I found them to be very manageable but I was playing from the whites as it was my first time through. Awesome view from the 18th green and from the inviting Clubhouse. I look forward to getting back and that may be tomorrow!

"Great course as usual!"

meiscoop's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2017

The canyon is always a very nice and challenging course to play. The fairways and some of the greens have been affected by our heat waves this spring. but other than that always a pleasure to play on and of course the Wicked Six are always a challenge.

"Disappointing"

arborcare's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2017

Second week of a vacation in the Phoenix, Scottsdale area. Played some great courses during the first week, We-Ko-Pa, Troon North, Las Sendas and Quintero. Saw the website for Sunridge Canyon which looked great and the price point at $77 was cheaper than what I had paid for the other courses but I booked it based on the website photos and reviews.

The course layout is target golf, the starting hole is a par 4 dogleg left, that I hit a 6 iron to get to the 150 marker. Upon reaching the first green, my disappointment really sunk in. The grass was partially dead, shaggy and looked like it had been hit with a disease of some sort. Long story short, the entire course was like this and it wasn't until the 17th hole that we discovered why. We talked to a local who said the course has a major water pump failure and contested insurance claim about 4-6 weeks ago. The maintenance crew tried watering the greens by hand but couldn't save them.

It would have been nice to know this before hand. Scottsdale to Fountain Hills is not a short drive. Saying that though, even if the course was in pristine condition I wouldn't rate it high. It's just a weird layout. It's not worth $77. If you are going drive 30-45 minutes, pay an extra $13 and go to Quintero, that's a golf course.

Course Layout: Poor

Commented on 05/08/2017

Hello arborcare I would like to apologize for your unpleasant experience when playing here at SunRidge Canyon. If you could please contact me at (480) 837-5100 or email me at wes.neal@sunridgegolf.com I would like to speak with you about your day. Thank you Wes Neal

Commented on 04/27/2017

Wow - do yourself a favor - stay away! The other reviews are 100% - the greens have no grass, it's dirt, the entire course is not being kept up. To make it even worse, after my horribly disappointing round, with friends from out of town. We made a remark to the proshop, it would be nice to get a courtesy heads up that the course, is really in bad shape. They basically laughed and said: oh yeah, not happening, no one would play. Yikes!!! with 100's of amazing courses, stay away!!!!

"Amazing Course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/10/2017

This is an exceptional gorgeous course! At times we felt far away from the real world -- in a desert oasis. I would have given this an overall excellent, except that our cart nav system broke down at the 5th hole and we didn't have a course map to tell us where there were hazards cutting across the fairway. Knowing this info would have helped with club selection and reduce my score :-) I and my friends will definitely play this course again!!

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2017

"Greens are concrete"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

The course has a very nice layout and the staff was a 10.0 regarding their professionalism and helpfulness. I would not play here again because the greens are rock hard. Unless you're a 5 handicap or below and can put significant backspin on all shots to the greens, you will either be rolling balls up onto the green (where that's possible) or hitting nice shots with good loft that land on the green and roll 150 feet. Some people like that, I don't.

"Challenging course with great views."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/22/2017

Course is a hidden gem. Second time I've played at SRC and I've been impressed each time. Make time for some food and drinks afterwards on the outside patio, excellent food with breathtaking views.

Commented on 05/08/2017

Thank you for the nice comment we hope to see you again soon!

Kent6797796's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/21/2017

"A Wanna-Be Troon Course"

pgallivan's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/21/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

I have played Sunridge Canyon 3 times now (and rented in Fountain Hills a few years ago). Overall, Sunridge Canyon is an overpriced course that fits the mold of Desert Canyon (way overpriced) and Eagle Mountain. We played on Tues, Mar. 21 and were not advised upon booking or when we paid that the greens had been top-dressed, they were simply awful!!! The guy who checked us in said he "would do me a favour" and "allow me to play on my Troon 2 for 1, DESPITE it being twilight". Peter, at the Troon call centre, booked me at 12:05 Tues., stating that "the rate per golfer would be $37.50". PLEASE, don't make it seem that you're doing me a great favour, especially after I played for a National card, almost $500. US. The guy also said that the course is "not really managed by Troon, we don't accept certificates, for example". If SunRidge Canyon wants to be seen as equal to Troon North, Whirlwind, Sewailo, Kierland, etc., then perhaps they should get their act and course in shape. If Troon in general wants to keep cardholders happy and thus returning, then perhaps they have to get their act together and ensure the courses stay in the program #Talking Sticks left 2 years ago, The Gallery this year# and the restrictions are getting tighter. And please don't make me feel like you're doing me a big favour by having me play your courses. We waited almost 30 minutes on the 17th hole - ridiculous! I wonder if I'll get a reply to this review from Troon head office or the course.

hankandholly's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/13/2017

they did not overseed the greens, they were mostly brown with patches of green. For what they charge to play this place, one would think it would be in better shape.

"Great views and a challenging layout"

walterzjr's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/21/2017

Played as a threesome on a sunny tuesday . This track has many scenic views of the fountain hills, with the front nine going down the valley and the back nine returning back up it. There is a snack shack after the front 9 for food and beverages. The bev cart was around frequently, The course was fairly busy and we played in 4 and a half hours. The greens were tricky, and fast with many slopes. The GPS in the cart was a big help in determining shot strategy from the tee and to the greens. the food and beverage on the deck was a plus. Looking forward to the next visit.

"Great Experience, Fantastic Views!"

yellow99's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/13/2017

Played SunRidge Canyon with 2 friends for the first time. Wonderful course with great views at different elevations. Very fast greens with a tough but fair layout. Has a great experience from golfing to eating at the club afterwards. Would definitely play it again.

"Would be a great course if not for terrible greens"

Stewdoggydogg's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/09/2017

This is a very interesting and challenging course, with a lot of variety in the hole designs. The biggest negative is that the grees were is bad condition...very bumpy (and a strange color...almost looked like they were painted)...and a few of them are very unfair due to the severity of the slope and location of the pins on those slopes.

The women's tees were very friendly, avoided all forced carries, and 1500 yards shorter than the men's tees. Perhaps there should be a more challenging set of women's tees offered for the better women players.

We played in the afternoon , which meant that we played the final 6 holes into the setting sun, making the "wicked 6" even more wicked.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/06/2017

Greens were not over seeded. They were bumpy and dormant painted green...disappointing

Mark1686216's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/06/2017

20123209's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/25/2017
First time playing Used cart Cold weather Verified Purchaser

Lovely course. The GPS in the carts was a great benefit for determining layups for the carries.

"A delight in canyonlands of Fountain Hills"

larrybarrett's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/09/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

First of all I got a great price on a Golfnow hot deal booked in late December. I was lucky enough to play with a member of the course, Kent, who was not only a good golfer but very knowledgeable about the course and a lot of fun to play a round with. The course is in great condition tee to green and is every bit as difficult as any other course in the greater Phoenix area. Plan on playing a few strokes over your handicap and losing a few golf balls. With that mindset you will enjoy both the course and views. Everything about the course is first class with the only minor complaint that the greens are dormant grass and the color is not what one would expect. But they are true, fast and have enough slope that it is all but impossible not 3 putt a few times. Bring your A game, leave the beginners at home and enjoy.

None's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/30/2016

"Javalinas"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/18/2016

This is one of the best coarses I have played . I should have bought stock as I have spent my life savings on all the goodies in the pro shop. Scottie is the best and a Chapel Hill NC friend as well. I make it a point to advertise this coarse as it is challenging with greens that will bring you to tears if hit to hard. I love this coarse , staff and feeling of welcome nests that I receive every time. I titled this Javalina because I tormented one on the 18th tee box and it gave me a little snort. I asked the guys I was paired with what it was and they explained that they are mean rodent family pigs. Where I come from they are wild boars and will tear you to pieces. Always a good story when I play there.

"Great Course/horrible pace"

Trevor7888386's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/23/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The course itself was in pretty good condition, all the greens were quite pristine. When we teed off the starter told us it was full but we shouldn't be waiting all that much if at all. Even though at 6 or 7 we teamed up with the twosome in front of us, we waited for every single shot. Round took approximately 5 hours which is absolutely ridiculous.