SunRidge Canyon Golf Club

4.2200823529 4.2 stars from 5 (335)

• 13100 N SunRidge Dr, Fountain Hills, Arizona 85268

Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Pull-carts: No
Caddies: No
GPS: Yes

Golf school / academy: Yes - "Jim McLean Golf School"

Dress code: Collared shirt required, no denim
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views a bucket list/top 100 pick   Challenges include elevation changes forced carries bunkers   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Getting close to perfect condition. Go. Play"

larrybarrett's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2017

Other than a little fuzziness on the greens the course is in almost perfect condition. Pace is a little slow on the back nine because of the difficulty and returning residents that don't have their game is shape yet. A beautiful course winding through the canyons that will test anyone's skill level. Expect to lose a few balls in the desert and pay attention on the finishing holes as the wind and elevation change will take 1-2 clubs more.

"Good challenge, nice place"

u768819490's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2017

I had a good time here, just not a good score. The conditions, pace of play, views and layout were all top notch. Fun course but not for the novice hacker.

"The Wicked Six is a ridiculous final six holes"

Jeffrey3538028's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/04/2017

So, this golf course is ok, but the layout is kind of a joke. The first 12 holes are fine, but then it finishes with "The Wicked Six". They are very proud of these holes, but they are just a joke. You start out at the bottom of the canyon and work your wake back up the canyon for six holes until you reach the clubhouse. We played the front nine in about 1:50, but caught the groups in front of us on 12 and the back nine took 2:47. This is directly attributable these last six holes, and the fact that groups don't play the proper tees. In addition, no marshal on the course at all. We paid a decent price, but it just isn't worth it. I don't recommend this course unless you like Mickey Mouse stuff. Also, the greens were rolling about 7 on the Stimpmeter, and the cups hand't been cut new for at least 3 days. I just don't think that is acceptable on a Troon course.

Course Layout: Poor

Commented on 06/10/2017

Hi Jeffrey3538028 thank you for your feedback. I apologize for your unpleasant experience last week here at SunRidge Canyon. I would love to speak with you more about your round. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience (480) 837-5100 or wes.neal@sunridgegolf.com. I look forward to hearing from you soon! - Wes Neal Head Golf Professional

"Fun but challenging"

TomMoser's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

A few funky holes where it's a little difficult without course knowledge to determine where to hit the ball but cart GPS does help considerably with this. Greens and fairways in great shape. Accuracy is at a premium here but really a fun place to play. You'll want to do this one again!

"Summer at SunRidge"

Kusbel's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2017

This course is exceptional. Beautiful layout, beautiful views. I've played it before, but don't have enough course knowledge to know which holes will punish you severely for being either in the left or right side of the fairway. That's super frustrating, but would get much better with frequency and course knowledge. The only other ding would be the firmness of the greens. Well lofted approach shots with ProV1's seemed to run through every green. This is one of the most challenging courses in the entire valley, and I really like it!

"SunRidge Canyon"

dougrempp's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/23/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

I wanted to try this course a few miles from my home in Scottsdale. We have only had a home in Az the last 30 ish days and I have had a chance to play a few different courses in the area. I found the conditions at SunRidge to be top notch. I was very impressed with the all things grass at the course. The grass on the Tee's through the Greens was in the best shape that I have seen at a course in a long time. The course takes you out 9 holes from the Clubhouse down into a Canyon and then brings you back. Many great views as you work your way around. Lots of wildlife. The last 6 holes are named the "Wicked 6". I found them to be very manageable but I was playing from the whites as it was my first time through. Awesome view from the 18th green and from the inviting Clubhouse. I look forward to getting back and that may be tomorrow!

Commented on 06/10/2017

Hi dougrempp thank you for the kind words! We hope to see you back again soon! Wes Neal, Head Golf Professional

"Wicked Six is a tough finish"

randyhair127's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/18/2017

This golf course plays out in three acts. The first six holes are pretty easy. Only #5 is the only one of these that is not downhill so they play shorter the yardage. The middle six holes are a mixed bag with #'s 10 & 12 being easy holes and while the others play average to tough. The last six holes are almost all uphill, some very steeply uphill. The two par threes are medium tough & the others play long. The Wicked Six is a name the course has given to this stretch & is appropriate. This is a fairly good golf course, but I didn't enjoy the finish that much.

"Great course as usual!"

meiscoop's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2017

The canyon is always a very nice and challenging course to play. The fairways and some of the greens have been affected by our heat waves this spring. but other than that always a pleasure to play on and of course the Wicked Six are always a challenge.

"Disappointing"

arborcare's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2017

Second week of a vacation in the Phoenix, Scottsdale area. Played some great courses during the first week, We-Ko-Pa, Troon North, Las Sendas and Quintero. Saw the website for Sunridge Canyon which looked great and the price point at $77 was cheaper than what I had paid for the other courses but I booked it based on the website photos and reviews.

The course layout is target golf, the starting hole is a par 4 dogleg left, that I hit a 6 iron to get to the 150 marker. Upon reaching the first green, my disappointment really sunk in. The grass was partially dead, shaggy and looked like it had been hit with a disease of some sort. Long story short, the entire course was like this and it wasn't until the 17th hole that we discovered why. We talked to a local who said the course has a major water pump failure and contested insurance claim about 4-6 weeks ago. The maintenance crew tried watering the greens by hand but couldn't save them.

It would have been nice to know this before hand. Scottsdale to Fountain Hills is not a short drive. Saying that though, even if the course was in pristine condition I wouldn't rate it high. It's just a weird layout. It's not worth $77. If you are going drive 30-45 minutes, pay an extra $13 and go to Quintero, that's a golf course.

Course Layout: Poor

Commented on 05/08/2017

Hello arborcare I would like to apologize for your unpleasant experience when playing here at SunRidge Canyon. If you could please contact me at (480) 837-5100 or email me at wes.neal@sunridgegolf.com I would like to speak with you about your day. Thank you Wes Neal

Commented on 04/27/2017

Wow - do yourself a favor - stay away! The other reviews are 100% - the greens have no grass, it's dirt, the entire course is not being kept up. To make it even worse, after my horribly disappointing round, with friends from out of town. We made a remark to the proshop, it would be nice to get a courtesy heads up that the course, is really in bad shape. They basically laughed and said: oh yeah, not happening, no one would play. Yikes!!! with 100's of amazing courses, stay away!!!!

"Amazing Course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/10/2017

This is an exceptional gorgeous course! At times we felt far away from the real world -- in a desert oasis. I would have given this an overall excellent, except that our cart nav system broke down at the 5th hole and we didn't have a course map to tell us where there were hazards cutting across the fairway. Knowing this info would have helped with club selection and reduce my score :-) I and my friends will definitely play this course again!!

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

"Greens are concrete"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

The course has a very nice layout and the staff was a 10.0 regarding their professionalism and helpfulness. I would not play here again because the greens are rock hard. Unless you're a 5 handicap or below and can put significant backspin on all shots to the greens, you will either be rolling balls up onto the green (where that's possible) or hitting nice shots with good loft that land on the green and roll 150 feet. Some people like that, I don't.

"Challenging course with great views."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/22/2017

Course is a hidden gem. Second time I've played at SRC and I've been impressed each time. Make time for some food and drinks afterwards on the outside patio, excellent food with breathtaking views.

Commented on 05/08/2017

Thank you for the nice comment we hope to see you again soon!

Kent6797796's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/21/2017

"A Wanna-Be Troon Course"

pgallivan's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/21/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

I have played Sunridge Canyon 3 times now (and rented in Fountain Hills a few years ago). Overall, Sunridge Canyon is an overpriced course that fits the mold of Desert Canyon (way overpriced) and Eagle Mountain. We played on Tues, Mar. 21 and were not advised upon booking or when we paid that the greens had been top-dressed, they were simply awful!!! The guy who checked us in said he "would do me a favour" and "allow me to play on my Troon 2 for 1, DESPITE it being twilight". Peter, at the Troon call centre, booked me at 12:05 Tues., stating that "the rate per golfer would be $37.50". PLEASE, don't make it seem that you're doing me a great favour, especially after I played for a National card, almost $500. US. The guy also said that the course is "not really managed by Troon, we don't accept certificates, for example". If SunRidge Canyon wants to be seen as equal to Troon North, Whirlwind, Sewailo, Kierland, etc., then perhaps they should get their act and course in shape. If Troon in general wants to keep cardholders happy and thus returning, then perhaps they have to get their act together and ensure the courses stay in the program #Talking Sticks left 2 years ago, The Gallery this year# and the restrictions are getting tighter. And please don't make me feel like you're doing me a big favour by having me play your courses. We waited almost 30 minutes on the 17th hole - ridiculous! I wonder if I'll get a reply to this review from Troon head office or the course.

hankandholly's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/13/2017

they did not overseed the greens, they were mostly brown with patches of green. For what they charge to play this place, one would think it would be in better shape.

"Great views and a challenging layout"

walterzjr's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/21/2017

Played as a threesome on a sunny tuesday . This track has many scenic views of the fountain hills, with the front nine going down the valley and the back nine returning back up it. There is a snack shack after the front 9 for food and beverages. The bev cart was around frequently, The course was fairly busy and we played in 4 and a half hours. The greens were tricky, and fast with many slopes. The GPS in the cart was a big help in determining shot strategy from the tee and to the greens. the food and beverage on the deck was a plus. Looking forward to the next visit.

"Great Experience, Fantastic Views!"

yellow99's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/13/2017

Played SunRidge Canyon with 2 friends for the first time. Wonderful course with great views at different elevations. Very fast greens with a tough but fair layout. Has a great experience from golfing to eating at the club afterwards. Would definitely play it again.

"Would be a great course if not for terrible greens"

Stewdoggydogg's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/09/2017

This is a very interesting and challenging course, with a lot of variety in the hole designs. The biggest negative is that the grees were is bad condition...very bumpy (and a strange color...almost looked like they were painted)...and a few of them are very unfair due to the severity of the slope and location of the pins on those slopes.

The women's tees were very friendly, avoided all forced carries, and 1500 yards shorter than the men's tees. Perhaps there should be a more challenging set of women's tees offered for the better women players.

We played in the afternoon , which meant that we played the final 6 holes into the setting sun, making the "wicked 6" even more wicked.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/06/2017

Greens were not over seeded. They were bumpy and dormant painted green...disappointing