SunRidge Canyon Golf Club

Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Pull-carts: No
Caddies: No
GPS: Yes

Golf school / academy: Yes - "Jim McLean Golf School"

Dress code: Collared shirt required, no denim
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 4.2 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views a bucket list/top 100 pick   Challenges include elevation changes forced carries bunkers   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Amazing Course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/10/2017

This is an exceptional gorgeous course! At times we felt far away from the real world -- in a desert oasis. I would have given this an overall excellent, except that our cart nav system broke down at the 5th hole and we didn't have a course map to tell us where there were hazards cutting across the fairway. Knowing this info would have helped with club selection and reduce my score :-) I and my friends will definitely play this course again!!

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2017

"Greens are concrete"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

The course has a very nice layout and the staff was a 10.0 regarding their professionalism and helpfulness. I would not play here again because the greens are rock hard. Unless you're a 5 handicap or below and can put significant backspin on all shots to the greens, you will either be rolling balls up onto the green (where that's possible) or hitting nice shots with good loft that land on the green and roll 150 feet. Some people like that, I don't.

"Challenging course with great views."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/22/2017

Course is a hidden gem. Second time I've played at SRC and I've been impressed each time. Make time for some food and drinks afterwards on the outside patio, excellent food with breathtaking views.

Kent6797796's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/21/2017

"A Wanna-Be Troon Course"

pgallivan's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/21/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

I have played Sunridge Canyon 3 times now (and rented in Fountain Hills a few years ago). Overall, Sunridge Canyon is an overpriced course that fits the mold of Desert Canyon (way overpriced) and Eagle Mountain. We played on Tues, Mar. 21 and were not advised upon booking or when we paid that the greens had been top-dressed, they were simply awful!!! The guy who checked us in said he "would do me a favour" and "allow me to play on my Troon 2 for 1, DESPITE it being twilight". Peter, at the Troon call centre, booked me at 12:05 Tues., stating that "the rate per golfer would be $37.50". PLEASE, don't make it seem that you're doing me a great favour, especially after I played for a National card, almost $500. US. The guy also said that the course is "not really managed by Troon, we don't accept certificates, for example". If SunRidge Canyon wants to be seen as equal to Troon North, Whirlwind, Sewailo, Kierland, etc., then perhaps they should get their act and course in shape. If Troon in general wants to keep cardholders happy and thus returning, then perhaps they have to get their act together and ensure the courses stay in the program #Talking Sticks left 2 years ago, The Gallery this year# and the restrictions are getting tighter. And please don't make me feel like you're doing me a big favour by having me play your courses. We waited almost 30 minutes on the 17th hole - ridiculous! I wonder if I'll get a reply to this review from Troon head office or the course.

hankandholly's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/13/2017

they did not overseed the greens, they were mostly brown with patches of green. For what they charge to play this place, one would think it would be in better shape.

"Great views and a challenging layout"

walterzjr's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/21/2017

Played as a threesome on a sunny tuesday . This track has many scenic views of the fountain hills, with the front nine going down the valley and the back nine returning back up it. There is a snack shack after the front 9 for food and beverages. The bev cart was around frequently, The course was fairly busy and we played in 4 and a half hours. The greens were tricky, and fast with many slopes. The GPS in the cart was a big help in determining shot strategy from the tee and to the greens. the food and beverage on the deck was a plus. Looking forward to the next visit.

"Great Experience, Fantastic Views!"

yellow99's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/13/2017

Played SunRidge Canyon with 2 friends for the first time. Wonderful course with great views at different elevations. Very fast greens with a tough but fair layout. Has a great experience from golfing to eating at the club afterwards. Would definitely play it again.

"Would be a great course if not for terrible greens"

Stewdoggydogg's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/09/2017

This is a very interesting and challenging course, with a lot of variety in the hole designs. The biggest negative is that the grees were is bad condition...very bumpy (and a strange color...almost looked like they were painted)...and a few of them are very unfair due to the severity of the slope and location of the pins on those slopes.

The women's tees were very friendly, avoided all forced carries, and 1500 yards shorter than the men's tees. Perhaps there should be a more challenging set of women's tees offered for the better women players.

We played in the afternoon , which meant that we played the final 6 holes into the setting sun, making the "wicked 6" even more wicked.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/06/2017

Greens were not over seeded. They were bumpy and dormant painted green...disappointing

Mark1686216's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/06/2017

20123209's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/25/2017
First time playing Used cart Cold weather Verified Purchaser

Lovely course. The GPS in the carts was a great benefit for determining layups for the carries.

"A delight in canyonlands of Fountain Hills"

larrybarrett's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/09/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

First of all I got a great price on a Golfnow hot deal booked in late December. I was lucky enough to play with a member of the course, Kent, who was not only a good golfer but very knowledgeable about the course and a lot of fun to play a round with. The course is in great condition tee to green and is every bit as difficult as any other course in the greater Phoenix area. Plan on playing a few strokes over your handicap and losing a few golf balls. With that mindset you will enjoy both the course and views. Everything about the course is first class with the only minor complaint that the greens are dormant grass and the color is not what one would expect. But they are true, fast and have enough slope that it is all but impossible not 3 putt a few times. Bring your A game, leave the beginners at home and enjoy.

None's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/30/2016

"Javalinas"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/18/2016

This is one of the best coarses I have played . I should have bought stock as I have spent my life savings on all the goodies in the pro shop. Scottie is the best and a Chapel Hill NC friend as well. I make it a point to advertise this coarse as it is challenging with greens that will bring you to tears if hit to hard. I love this coarse , staff and feeling of welcome nests that I receive every time. I titled this Javalina because I tormented one on the 18th tee box and it gave me a little snort. I asked the guys I was paired with what it was and they explained that they are mean rodent family pigs. Where I come from they are wild boars and will tear you to pieces. Always a good story when I play there.

"Great Course/horrible pace"

Trevor7888386's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/23/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The course itself was in pretty good condition, all the greens were quite pristine. When we teed off the starter told us it was full but we shouldn't be waiting all that much if at all. Even though at 6 or 7 we teamed up with the twosome in front of us, we waited for every single shot. Round took approximately 5 hours which is absolutely ridiculous.

"Chaperoned and lectured"

Etherwar's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/19/2016

Beautiful course, extremely rude Marshall.

We came from out of town for a wedding which was on Sunday. So, with a Saturday to kill and the course at our resort booked with a large charity event, we decided to try out Sunridge Canyon. Looked like great scenery online and good reviews.

Well the scenery was good, and most of the front desk/cart runners were extremely friendly.

However when we showed up to the tee box 10 minutes early as requested, the group before our threesome had not shown up. This was fine with us and we volunteered to go ahead and start. We were told to wait because they were having trouble locating the single that they had slotted to play with us.... ok, no problem so far.

Then as we were teeing up 2 minutes after we were supposed to start and they had given up, he showed up. No big deal, we all shake hands, get introduved, and get started.

4 holes in, we get warned by the on cart gps we are 5 minutes behind schedule. There's no issue though (we think) because we got started late and there is no one behind us. We are all having a rough start (we 3 rented our clubs), but our pace is decent. We get another cart warning to pick up the pace or we will be moved into position in 2 holes.

There's still no one around us. We've finally seen the group behind us but they're not even close at this point when the Marshall shows up about 30 seconds after we get the 2 hole warning.

This guy pulls in front of us on the path blocking the way and hops out to tell us that out pace is too slow and we should be playing up against the group that I'd 2 holes front of us. I told him this was our first time playing the course, made a joke about us being so bad we couldnt keep pace then tried to explain that we were held late and the group in front of us were no shows so that should explain the 2 hole gap.

His response was to be condescending and tell us it shouldn't be very hard to catch up and he will be watching and if we can't keep pace then we'll be asked to skip holes.

His attitude rubbed me the wrong way and I offered to leave immediately if I got a full refund. He said no that wasn't possible or necessary, then he proceeded to follow us from hole 6 through hole 10 and supervise our play.

This really irked me and was making a bad day of play worse for me, so I elected to pick up until he left. However, at hole 10 he obviously had called his manager out who showed up and asked us how things were going. I told him the situation and explained that I'd like to get a refund for half the course in exchange for him taking my clubs back then and there. He told me that was fine and I could keep the clubs as long as I didn't play.

Not long after that the cart I was in started badly grabbing when ascending even a tiny grade. We caught the group in front of us on 13 and we're waiting 10+ minutes every tee box by 16...

I have played many courses all over the country and have never had even a complaint about pace of play. To have a cart tell me twice I'm playing top slow then a Marshall come bird dog our group for 4 holes and treat me like a liar was completely uncalled for.

When I got back to the clubhouse, they wanted the refund me in course credit! I was too mad to laugh, although they did finally give me a refund on my card.

Commented on 12/28/2016

Thanks for the heads up. Our group had a similar experience at Vista Verde. Former High School hall monitors getting their fix. Never been warned anywhere else.

"Challenging but playable"

Les9570741's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/18/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This course is real treat to play. Course conditions were perfect and there is a real variety of shots you have to make. I can't wait to play it again.

"Wow"

lorvan's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/17/2016

Hadn't been back for a few years and had forgotten how beautiful this course is. Yes it is difficult but tee box changes have made it easy to score well. The 17th hole is amazing