Papago Golf Course

• 5595 E Moreland St, Phoenix, AZ 85008, Maricopa County
  • (602) 275-8428, (602) 262-5088
  • www.papagogolfcourse.net

Year built: 1963
Architect(s): William F. Bell, Billy Fuller (2008), Jack Snyder (1977)
Type: Public
Style: Traditional
Greens: Bermuda
Fairways: Bermuda

Caddies: No
GPS: No

Practice bunker: Yes

Green (W) 72 5777 yards 72.4 124

Location is convenient to the city near the airport near local attractions   Great for locals advanced golfers walkers   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens plays long   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views

"A great course!"

EZPIGG's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Like I said a, great course. I was in Arizona for vacation. It was nice to get out of the rain back east. While it was hot, 96, my wife and I enjoyed the dry heat! I did enjoy the course. I like that it was right in front of you. Nothing hidden. The greens rolled true and the bunkers were perfect. The rough was sparse and really did not present any challenge (probably the time of year). It is a good walking course. Staff service was excellent. I gave the off course amenities a Fair rating because they are in a temporary trailer, but I'm sure it will be nice once the new clubhouse is built. Gave Value Average rating because the price seemed a bit steep and it seems they were sticking it to the visitor a little too much. My only real complaint is that all of the par 3s were long (180 yrds +, one was 220 yrds). I don't mind one or two 200 yrd par 3s, but three or four seems to be pushing it for amatour golf. Nevertheless, it is a great golf course!

"I still can't believe this is a muni..."

bdownesak's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2017

This is a great course for the money. The only things wrong with this course are some of the tees are chewed up and there is not a definable cart path. However, that being said, this course's fairway and green conditions were very well manicured. The layout is great which leads this course to be a pleasant course for round 2 of the day. Not too hard and not too easy. I'd recommend this to anyone visiting Phoenix.

"So happy we found each other.."

costami's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2017
Previously played Walked Perfect weather

I'm a recent transplant from SF. San Francisco has Harding Park-Phoenix has Papago. Enjoy this place locals- we are lucky to have access to such a classically designed track. Staff is very professional and the conditions are exceptional. I play weekly very early and usually join visitors who are all very complimentary of the course.

I've been walking recently before it gets too hot.

"Great course, slow going."

bartolucci's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/02/2017

Played a nice afternoon round here. The course was in good condition; smooth greens, flat, well kept tee boxes and overall well taken care of. I really enjoyed my round, even if we were playing against the setting sun - it was definitely dark when we finished, but managed to get all 18 in. My only complaint was the sloooww pace of play. There were a couple of groups ahead of us that were hacking away which forced a minimum of 5 minutes wait at each tee. Really frustrating, but there were marshals out and they were on top of it. I'd play here again, but would consider a morning round, versus an afternoon.

"The little brother of the Arizona big hitters"

Ienjoygolfing75's avatar
Age:  Under 25

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

I played a round of 18 at this course on my way to the airport to head home from a business trip. The staff was accommodating and I appreciated that. I did witness a staff member get involved in a pretty heated phone conversation which went on for about 15 minutes while I waited to check in for my tee time. This also held up a lady who was coming in to buy a patron pass. That was not a great start to my Papago experience. Only 1 thing though, so its hard to totally knock them. The course was well maintained, greens were nice and the views are great. A little more of an active spot in the city but it was fun watching all the helicopters and planes fly over. The clubhouse was not the greatest, especially after playing Grayhawk the day prior. Very small and low cost type environment but that is okay. The driving range was average, backdrop with the mountains was cool though. No restaurant but they do have some small food items in the clubhouse. The course was enjoyable and I am going to try and swing by again in January. It was wonderful to be able to play here and get to the airport in 10 minutes. It is not Troon North or Grayhawk, but this is a very nice course in its own right.

"Popular Local Muni Among The Major Phoenix Resort Courses"

AceGerard's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/26/2017
First time playing Walked Windy weather

Being a walk and carry clubs, classic muni guy, I had tried to get on Papago numerous times during visits to Phoenix - I got on the singles waiting list on a Sunday and was surprised to get paired up within an hour. It did not take long for me to understand the popularity of the unique course conditions, views, rock formations, and overall play. The clubhouse was a temporary trailer and not sure if that will get rebuilt or not? Good practice area and range, very walkable, and conditions were good and tough with 10-20 mph winds. Some holes seem alike but that is a good thing here. Also the location is about as central Phoenix as you can get and easy airport access!

"The tell tale course"

pokergolffish's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/26/2016
Previously played Used cart Good weather Verified Purchaser

Papago has long been a favorite course. From decades ago as a competitive member to now, Papago has always let me know where my game is.

The wind, then rain, became quite a factor in this round. Even though I can't play long as in the past, the course still provides a fulfilling round and the full gambit of golfing aficionados that have played there. I'll always look forward to playing another round at Papago.

"Took care of us, will return!"

JohnyArms's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/22/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Poor weather

So I somewhat gave up on Papago last year during the Winter as I usually play on Saturdays and they can get very backed up during busy months. Also way too many snow birds like to play here so it can get VERY slow on weekends during busy season.

Today I got a hot deal time with two buddies in the afternoon. Sadly right at around the 10th/11th hole we got hit with a rain storm. Luckily even though we already got through about 10 holes they gave us a raincheck for a full 18 to come back since they decided to shut down because of the rain. We were very pleased with this and the entire staff was awesome! Can't get upset at the weather, but they made it even easier not to do so.

I can't wait to see what happens with ASU taking over. I have heard they may get a new clubhouse which would take this place to the next level. We will return, and very much look forward to it.

"missing the "wow" of this course."

simmons7080's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/18/2016

Well......decided to give this one a try because of the "history" of it. Its a 30 min drive from my house (past many courses I have played and enjoyed). There was a tournament before play today and pins were cut in ridiculous places on corners and edges of greens making putting a joke. I was fortunate enough to be paired up w 2 great guys that have played here several times because this layout is a series of ambiguous tee shots. Several times I would ask where the @!##&* fairway was. When they told me , it was completely different than where I assumed.

I seriously can't believe people use to sleep in their cars to get tee times here, lolololol. And the LPGA played a tournament here?!?! I'm sure the players wondered if they had lost a bet and were forced to play here. Its honestly not scenic at all and the par 3's are absurd distances to impossible greens. Sorry, but there are way too many other courses in same price range that will bring more joy.

Course Layout: Poor

"Solid golf course"

uCPIB1649CP's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Greens and tees were in great shape. Nice layout, challenging, but not ridiculous. Course was in great shape for this time of year.

"Always love the challenge"

TheBeej13's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2016

Love playing Papago. This is always a course I play to see where exactly my game is at. Course was in great shape. Plays very tough for the most experienced and skilled golfers. Anything in the 70s is a good score here.

"Hot morning"

Gary1950E's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/22/2016

Greens were large and putted well. Played in four hours even.

"" Better ole Papago !""

MarkyVoftheCOP's avatar

Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Solo, I got there to find young Mike at the ready & informed Me that another player also had same tee time on the sheet. He mentioned I could hit a few range balls to warm up, sounds silly as it was 111°. Started out fine and seemed grooved early, not My norm. Players heading out on 10 mentioned the greens could be shorter since the we're punched a couple of weeks earlier. I enjoyed them as they rolled fine out fine, if only at a moderate speed.

Fairways were even and are surely undulating with the Papago Buttes RIGHT THERE ! Greens are firm & fortunately not dried out HARD as many tracks in Phoenix get. Michael at the turn is very cordial & was glad to get some ice for Me as there was NO beverage cart. A true Local Gem for a Homer like Me that I always enjoy !

The now years old renovation to the course certainly gives the holes a much fuller/complete look through the greens ,wonderfully done Folks. THANKS !

"It's the same old Papago without the trees"

kappaman1990's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/21/2016

I haven't played this course in several years. The layout is pretty much the same they've cut down some trees and put better sand in the barkers but overall it's the same course as it's always been for years . I got a pretty good summer rate however I would not play this course in the winter time for the amount of money they are asking to play. Their are much better courses out there to play in the winter time for the money.

Commented on 09/22/2016

I never played here years ago, but I would 100% agree with your sentiment for the prices they charge here during the winter. This course should never be $75 for 18 holes.

""Better"ole Papago!"

MarkyVoftheCOP's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/21/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

An afternoon round started by having Mike meet Me at bag drop and explained that another person also was booked for the tee-time. I was able to warm up, sounds silly when it's 111°, although I was tardy. The course is in outstanding condition ,even the bunkers played well as I could get a good "thump" gettin' out. Then Michael was cordial & helpful with some ice at the turn as there wasn't a beverage cart on duty. I really enjoy the now years old renovations that give a more complete look of the holes through the greens ! Good Time Folks !

"Papago"

Bvankampen1964's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2016

Great course and good value.

"Great City course"

Flyzhunter's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2016

I have to start this review with the starter. He came out to the truck with cart and picked up clubs for us. To me its a great perk to get from a city course or any couse. I have played some high dollar courses and didn't get that type of service. He also had an awesome personality. Thank you!

The course was fun but at the same time a very challenging one. Rolling fairways at times would leave the ball below or above your feet to remind you to keep it in the middle of the fairway.

Green favored the Papago mountains to give you some tough reads of the greens. Greens were not fast due to lack of cutting them. By the looks of the greens that they just completed airiation.

Fun and challenging course. Enjoy!

"GOOD OL PAPAGO"

mcgyver0070's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The entire golf experience was great in the past when we all slept in the car to get out early. The New Papago is not bad but just doesn't hold the same appeal as it once did. Lay out is good. Less tree's. It has been cleaned up a bit. Greens were horrible when I played and club house is....well, just a box to except your green fees. Zero character now....maybe in the future it will get better. I hope the price does not increase to reflect the "changes" but it probably will.

"Greens not what they usually are"

Thomas6763104's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/30/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

The recently punched greens kind of ruined the fun. The putting was a guessing game with all of the bouncing. It's a great course, I just wish there was a warning on golfnow about the aerated greens.

"Real Nice"

Andithegolfer's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/05/2016

Not for the beginner. I really enjoyed the advancement of the course layout!!