Arizona Grand Resort

3.6902000000 3.7 stars from 5 (594)

• 8000 S Arizona Grand Pkwy, Phoenix, Arizona 85044, Maricopa County
  • www.arizonagrandgolf.com

Year built: 1987
Architect(s): Forrest Richardson
Type: Resort
Style: Traditional/Desert

GPS: Yes

Driving range: No

Dress code: Proper golf attire required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Sidewinder 71 6336 yards 68.8 124
Phantom Horse 71 5903 yards 67.2 120
Prospector 71 5451 yards 64.6 110
Saguaro (W) 71 4657 yards 66.2 107

Average Rating 3.7 stars from 5

Location is at a resort convenient to the city near the airport   Great for wildlife/ scenic views locals advanced golfers   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers water hazards   Great for drinks patio dining brunch

"Great course with a couple of minor drawbacks"

Kusbel's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/22/2017

This was our first time to play Arizona Grand, and that will have a bearing on this review. For newbies to the course, it's tough to figure out where the clubhouse or course entrance is. It didn't appear to be marked anywhere. Same goes for parking. All 4 of us parked in different areas, and we all wandered around with our clubs until we finally found the cart area, behind the lobby. Won't be an issue next time, but frustrating for first timers. Another issue for first time players of this course is the abundance of blind shots coupled with a lack of GPS. We ended up with bad club choices on numerous occasions, but didn't know it until we reached our tee shots. This too will be reduced greatly on a next time thru. All in all, it's a really cool layout, and we're looking forward to playing it again. My recommendations to course management would be to label the course entrance location and parking, and invest in cart mounted GPS and ice chests.

Looking forward to playing again.

Response from Arizona Grand on 03/24/2017:

We totally hear you, it would be tough for newer golfers to know where to go and get a strategy going on their round without the proper resources like signage, GPS, etc. This is something our management is aware of and taking steps towards improvements for our newer golfers.

"Short but challenging design. Men should not play from Whites."

Dnpegg's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/22/2017

Enjoyed the round. 2 distinctly different designs for front and back nine. Condition was good and layout was fun.

Response from Arizona Grand on 03/24/2017:

So glad you loved the conditions and had a fun round at our course!

"One of my favorites"

cummind0808's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/22/2017

I try to come to Phoenix for a week every year. Played this course for the first time a couple years ago, and it's been on my list of must-plays ever since. Well maintained, friendlly staff, variety in hole designs, and just gorgeous. Challenging but fair with choice of 4 tee boxes. Highly recommend!

Response from Arizona Grand on 03/23/2017:

Awesome, thanks so much for this recommendation! We're so glad you loved the course and the challenge it had presented.

"Very poor Ranger"

Pcakes60's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/21/2017

Very poor Ranger . We come up to 10th hole ranger stop sauce says it's going to be slow there's an 11-year-old trying to learn how to play golf I paid too much money to be waiting 20 minutes at each hole you do not bring an 11-year-old to a course like this 5 1/2 hours to play our game I will not return if I am not compensated I will never play there again

Response from Arizona Grand on 03/24/2017:

We regret to hear that your round was delayed throughout, due to the newer golfer. We understand this can be a frustrating experience if you're trying to enjoy a leisurely round at a decent pace and we're sorry we could not address this right at that time. Please reach out to us directly so we may sort something out for you - GM Steven Mahaffey smahaffey@arizonagrandresort.com or (602) 431-6488. Thank you for your patronage.

"Great Course"

WALLYWORLD12's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2017

Had not played at the Grand for two years but I was pleasantly surprised as what great shape the course was in (no geese to be found)... Took two friends for the first time and they were very impressed as they can't wait to go back. We play all over the Valley and this is one of the best.

"Terrible Service!!"

Hank5881479's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2017

This is "supposed" to be a resort but the service here was TERRIBLE!!

Long lines for everything from coffee to ice.

thought I'd get here early enough to grab a bite to eat but it was such a chore that I said "forget it... I'll just get a sandwich from the beverage cart..

Bad idea... no sandwiches there either after asking for one on 3 different occasions from 2 different service providers.

The course was in excellent shape but I will not be back because the service was absolutely the worst. I was embarrassed to bring my client and will not in the future. there are other great courses in the valley and most of which will have infinitely better service, on a bad day.

"As advertised..."

John4194995's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/17/2017

A beautiful and fun track, well priced for the locale and time of year ( high season). Exceptional golf staff - especially Blake; very accommodating!

"What Were They Thinking!"

liftman1954's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/17/2017

Once upon a time playing the AZ Grand was a pleasure. But several years ago management made a decision to consolidate their hotel front desk, main hotel restaurant and golf pro shop all into the same building.

While it might not be an issue for most of the day if you show up around lunch time to play you have what could only be described as a cluster! Arriving at the bag drop (which has no signage to indicate exactly where it is) you are faced with cars from departing/arriving hotel guests, those arriving for lunch and of course golfers. As you can imagine all the hotel bell boys and valets are very focused on hotel guests and seem to be annoyed with the fact that golfers are present trying to drop their bags. Then comes parking... unless you opt to valet park be prepared to hike a good 200-300 yard and that is if you are lucky enough to find anything. One of my golf buddies made the mistake of entering the poorly marked and very empty valet area and was rudely chastised by one of the valet parkers. My other golf buddy and I witnessed and were astonished when he barked at him "Can't you read?", along with several other condescending remarks. Well read this AZ Grand... there are way too many options in the valley where you don't have deal with this kind of atmosphere and that is where all of us and our friends will spend our money.

"Great course"

Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/14/2017

Had a great time playing with my son. The course terrain was different between the front and back 9 and was a fun challenge.

Response from Arizona Grand on 03/17/2017:

So glad you and your son had some enjoyable quiality time out on the course, we love hearing this! Thanks for coming out and enjoying the challenge.

dsikstrom's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/14/2017

Response from Arizona Grand on 03/15/2017:

So glad you saw great value playing here!

"Challenging Course !"

Gilbert12's avatar
Plays:  Twice a year

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/13/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

This is a very challenging but interesting course. Definitely a tough one to play the first time but would return if I was comfortable pace of play would be better. We teed off at 10am and had well over 5 hr round. This was very frustrating particularly as it was very warm. I can appreciate it will take a bit longer as the course is difficult and requires target golf. That said Marshall should be on it from the onset. Marshall showed for first time at 10th hole to inform us it would be a slow round. Little late for that. Beverage cart was frequent though so that helped and gal was excellent. Great course but should be managed proactively rather than afterthought. Also was disappointed with driving range. This was a caged enclosure where you go gather the balls if you want to warm up. No instruction to this end from pro shop. Could raise the bar here.

Response from Arizona Grand on 03/17/2017:

Thank you for your honest and detailed feedback. We have noted your comments and suggestions regarding the pace of play and the driving range. We will work diligently to ensure your next round is on par. We are so glad to hear you had all the refreshments you needed and the challenge the course presented made your round interesting. See you again soon!

"Friendly Staff"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/13/2017

These guys enjoy what they do. They made me feel right at home. This is very important especially when you are new to a course.

Had a Great Time on a well maintained course. I will definitely come back.

Gary

Response from Arizona Grand on 03/15/2017:

Awesome! We're so glad your first experience with us was stellar and you felt right at home. We look forward to seeing you back real soon.

"A pleasure to play"

Rossravelli's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/13/2017

An older style resort course that is being well maintained-- tee boxes are the exception as they were beat up considerably. All in all still a fun course to play.

Response from Arizona Grand on 03/15/2017:

We are working hard to ensure all our conditions including our tee boxes are in exceptional shape for your next round. We're happy to hear you loved playing at our course and had a fun time!

"Great day."

mikiemaro's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/12/2017

Course was in great condition. Staff was helpful. Pace was slow due to intoxicated individuals in front of many of us, but management and staff removed them from the course in a professional manner. All around great round and day.

Response from Arizona Grand on 03/14/2017:

So glad you loved the course conditions and the staff made your experience here exceptional, taking care of the situation at hand.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/12/2017

Response from Arizona Grand on 03/13/2017:

Thanks for this great rating!

"a beautiful round"

golfinsunJT's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/10/2017

A neat course offers a variety of holes park like & desert combo , One of my favorite in metro Phoenix . we will surely return,.

Response from Arizona Grand on 03/13/2017:

We can't wait to see you back for more! Glad you loved the variety the course presented!

"Nice course....slow play"

gsphat's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/10/2017

Nice course. Need to play smart.....course is tight. My only issue was pace of play. Slow from 1 to 18.

Response from Arizona Grand on 03/13/2017:

We regret to hear pace of play was slow on your round. We are working towards ideal pace of play at our course on a daily basis. Thank you for looking out and we are glad to hear you liked the course and challenge.

Hogey's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Always enjoy the scenery on this course. Course knowledge is definitely important. Love playing there.

Response from Arizona Grand on 03/13/2017:

We love our fans! Thanks so much for this great tip, the course remains a challenge for most players indeed, the sign of a great experience. Come back and see us again soon!

"This course is top drawer."

bchernow's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2017

From the course check-in to the starter to playing the course, we found this course to be top of the mountain for quality and scenery. The golf facility and restaurant were also beautiful. The outdoor and indoor fireplaces were cozy and inviting. I would definitely recommend this course for a wonderful southwestern golf experience.

Response from Arizona Grand on 03/10/2017:

Thank you so much for the recommendation! Happy to hear you experience with us was stellar!

"Good course, missing a few amenities."

u000006205818's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/08/2017

Good course, for the money and the difficult layout, GPS should be standard in the carts. Lots of blind shots, the front and back nine are completely different from one another. Challenges even the best golfers!

Response from Arizona Grand on 03/10/2017:

Glad you loved the challenge and saw good value playing here!