Arizona Grand Resort

GPS: Yes

Driving range: No

Dress code: Proper golf attire required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Sidewinder 71 6336 yards 68.8 124
Phantom Horse 71 5903 yards 67.2 120
Prospector 71 5451 yards 64.6 110
Saguaro (W) 71 4657 yards 66.2 107

Location is at a resort convenient to the city near the airport   Great for wildlife/ scenic views locals advanced golfers   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers water hazards   Great for drinks patio dining brunch

"Arizona Grand: The Design from Hades"

caknox1's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

What is now known as Arizona Grand was once Phantom Horse, which was originally known as The Pointe Golf Club at South Mountain. Tell me, please... when was the last time you knew of a golf course that was quite good that went through three name changes in less than 25 years? Mmmm hmmm, I thought so. Multiple design changes to the opening 4 holes as well as the sheer horror of holes 13, 14, 15 and 16 make Arizona Grande an absolute MUST NOT DO when it comes to golf in Phoenix. By the way, if you have played Lookout Mountain (which was originally The Pointe at Tapatio Cliffs and was designed by the same golf course architect, Forrest Richardson), you may experience a true sense of deja vu. Go with it. That's another review and another course that one could pass by without a thought, easily, although there are a number of good holes there. The same cannot be said about Arizona Grande.

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Arizona Grand on 08/15/2017:

We're sorry that the golf course design was not up to your expectations or your preferences. We understand you did not enjoy it as much as you thought you would. If you do return, we hope you'll have a much more enjoyable experience - maybe it takes some getting used to!

dispatcheral's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

did not care for the layout, no driving range, no cooler on cart, come on you buy a drink how do you keep it cold, a batting cage for a driving range, and use you own balls what a joke....

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2017

"112 degrees....No water"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2017

Course was in average condition is say. Starter staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. Got out into the course, brought 3 bottle of water and a cooling towel to stay cool in the heat. Nice cheats on carts to keep drinks or towels cold. Plus the water stations were all EMPTY until the 15th hole. Rely on them heavily in the summer in AZ to keep water bottles full and the cooling towels wet with cold water. Call clubhouse after the 4th set of empty ones on the 12th hole and staff didn't seem too concerned. Probably won't play here again.

Response from Arizona Gand on 07/14/2017:

We regret to hear that you experienced this situation when you needed some refreshments and the water stations were empty. We will certainly address this with our staff and management to ensure your next round with us is provided with the proper hydration on such a hot day. We really appreciate your feedback here, it is important to us. We do hope to see you back again soon.

"Two Headed Monster"

jsimmons65's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Basically you've got two separate courses in one to deal with. The first nine is a convoluted layout of grassy hills and water that tests your ability to play hilly banks to your advantage. The back nine shifts to a desert course that demands that you hit straight shots in order to avoid hitting your ball into the desert, i.e., two separate challenges on the same course. Think less power and more accuracy and you should score better. Oh yeah, the last hole give you tremendous view of the Valley of the Sun from the tee box.

Response from Arizona Grand on 06/15/2017:

Some great observations here, so glad you loved the varying challenge on the golf course and thank you for sharing some of your strategy too! Can't wait to see you back for more, keep on practicing!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2017

Response from Arizona Grand on 06/15/2017:

Glad you saw good value in playing here, see you again soon!

Mark3529591's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/04/2017

Response from Arizona Grand on 06/06/2017:

Thanks for this great rating! We look forward to seeing you back!

rprichmond's avatar

Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

We played early in the morning and the course was busy. The Marshall did a good job of managing the speed of play. The course was in good shape, however the greens were slow and somewhat inconsistent.

The staff were exceptional, friendly and helpful.

Our lunch after the game was poor. They were under staffed, the food was just OK, overpriced and the coffee was cold.

Response from Arizona Grand on 06/06/2017:

So glad the pace of play was on poinr and you enjoyed your overall experience! We're sorry to hear the lunch and the greens were not as pleasant, we'll inform our staff on these matters to ensure the best possible experience for you next time around.

"A Very Interesting Course"

caramiajim's avatar

Previously played Used cart Hot weather

The course was in great shape and fun to play. The only issues we had were that there were NO parking spaces available, I had to park on the road leading up to the course. But there were plenty of open spots in the valet area. The bathrooms on the 5th hole were out of order and I took a drink from the water cooler and had to spit it out. It had a very very bad taste to it. I hope nobody got sick from it. We will return but avoid the water.

Response from Arizona Grand on 06/06/2017:

Thank you for your feedback and we're glad you enjoyed the course and your overall experience golfing with us. We're sorry to hear about the parking situation, you must have caught us on a busier day than usual. We hope you return soon!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2017

Response from Arizona Grand on 05/30/2017:

Thanks for this great rating! We look forward to seeing you!

Verblekint's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2017

Response from Arizona Grand on 05/30/2017:

Let us know how we can make your experience with us stellar!

"Great Course"

loftus49's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

I've played this course several times and it continues to be one of my primary "go to's" in the Phoenix area. There are some spectacular holes (e.g. 18) and a lot of variation with both flat in residential holes and hilly holes. It's fun to play and the cart gal is good about getting around to you!

Response from Arizona Grand on 05/26/2017:

We love our fans! Thanks for being a regular at our course, we're so glad you have a lot of fun and have no trouble finding refreshments on your round!

"Course is great"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/11/2017

I really enjoyed my first experience there. Great course for the money. Staff very friendly. Overall wonderful experience

Response from Redhawk on 05/26/2017:

Glad you loved the course and sawgreat value in playing here! We're so glad our staff made your experience with us that much more memorable.

"A course for all players"

Plays:  Once a year

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2017

Not having played a round of golf for over a year, I played Arizona Grand this week with my Dad, who plays golf at least once a week.

The course was in good condition - a little dry, but not in bad shape. The greens weren't fast, but they were consistent. Pace of play was fine - we played at a leisurely pace and never collided with the players ahead/behind us.

The tee boxes could do with more signage - all the tee markers look the same, and I saw no yardage marks.

In terms of difficulty, the course has enough variety to be interesting, but isn't so hard that casual players would get turned off.

I would definitely play again, especially at $44.

Response from Arizona Grand on 05/11/2017:

We're so happy to hear you loved the course and found great value in playing here. We understand the signage might have been an issue our management is well aware of it. Glad you loved the challenge too.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2017

Response from Arizona Grand on 05/11/2017:

Thanks for this great rating!

"Fun day after work"

F111WSO's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2017

Had an excellent experience, as usual with Arizona Grand. The only comment we had was the beverage cart stopped by on hole 3 and told us it was last call. It was only 3pm!! So we loaded up on beverages. No way to keep cool as there were no coolers on the cart. The excuse she had was that the course was not that busy. We are still customers and should have a beverage cart on each 9 as a minimum. Other than that, it was a fun round and will come back.

Response from Arizona Grand on 05/11/2017:

We'll let our staff know about the refreshments being more prevalent on each 9, this is a valid suggestion and an understandable request due to the heat. We're so glad you loved the course and had an excellent experience with us!

"Course"

chris1204772's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2017

Said range included. There was was no driving range to warm up..

Response from Arizona Grand on 05/11/2017:

We're sorry that this was misleading, our range is under repair currently and we have changed the tee time notes to reflect that there is no range available for the next week or so. We can't wait to see you back thereafter.

"Great layout"

Mike4Now's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2017

This course was too challenging the first time I played it. Then I returned, got paired with another two players and learned more angles, approaches, etc. the last couple times I played it, I really enjoyed the challenge. Quickly becoming one of my favorites in the valley. A must course for our out-of-town golfing visitors.

Response from Arizona Grand on 05/04/2017:

Awesome! We're so glad you loved the course once you got the hang of it. We look forrward to seeing you again rea soon, we thank you for the recommendation!

"Disappointing"

Chad2139390's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/27/2017

On arrival the computers were down. Sounded like they would be down for hours. Delayed checking in. Went to warm up at the golf range. Went up to it and no golf balls to hit with. Came back and asked and was told it was closed. No signs telling me that. I asked why and was told there were too many holes in the net. Poor reason that just collected my green fees. Lastly, the putting practice green is so poor it's not worth putting on.

A very poor experience and recommend you do not play this course.

Response from Arizona Grand Tee Times on 05/01/2017:

We regret to hear that you had a poor experience with us. We assure you this is not the level we strive to achieve and will address it at the course. We hope to see you again soon for another round to make up for this experience!

"Interesting golf experience"

bkgolfaz13's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2017

Nice resort facilities except the practice and warm-up. No range and driving net was not open and the little putting green was nothing like the greens on the course, which fortunately were better! Like other reviews, we agree the front is easier and the back is quite challenging, especially if you are having issues off the tee! Great scenery for sure and the course is in nice shape.

Response from Arizona Grand Tee Times on 05/01/2017:

We apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced with your practice and warm up during your round. However, we are excited to hear that the course layout, staff friendliness, and course conditions were ideal for your round! We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you again soon for another round.