TPC Scottsdale - The Champions Course

• 17020 N Hayden Rd, Scottsdale, Arizona 85255, Maricopa County
  • (888) 400-4001, (480) 585-4334
  • tpc.com/scottsdale

Year built: 2007
Architect(s): Randy Heckenkemper (2007)
Type: Resort

GPS: No

Practice bunker: Yes
Indoor practice facilities: Yes
Simulator: Yes

Dress code: Collared shirt required, no denim
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 3.8 stars from 5

Location is convenient to the city near local attractions worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers locals a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens water hazards   Great for drinks patio dining watching the game

Slackerpk's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/21/2017

"Good course for under 100"

docgrainger's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2017

Played early morning. Told was teeing off back nine .... straight into the sun. Course in good condition but first few holes standing water in hiting areas due to night watering. My friend a 3 hdcp, wanted to play tips but no tee markers present for them.

Overall a good layout with fairly forgiving fairways and no blind shots.

Would play again but request tee off from 1st tee if early AM due to sun.

"TPC on a budget"

mtseabolt's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2017

Great track, not a iconic as the Stadium but still top notch. Greens rolled firm and fast. Good times.

Commented on 03/13/2017

mtseabolt,

We appreciate your feedback on GolfAdvisor and thank you for playing the Champions course. The Champions is a great course and we've seen excellent conditions the last several months. As a resident you can take advantage of our resident and resident walking rates. We hope to see you again in the near future.

TPC Scottsdale Management Team

"Best course I've played in Scottsdale"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/07/2017

Was so impressed from the time we pulled up for bag drop until leaving. The staff was awesome. The course layout is excellent!!!!!!

Commented on 03/08/2017

u157767570,

I am so happy to hear of your experience on the Champions course and your comments about staff. We appreciate your visit from Edmonton and choosing to play TPC Scottsdale. The Champions desert layout is much different than the Stadium, and one usually preferred by locals. Conditions are held to the same maintenance standards as the Stadium course. On your next visit please consider coming back and playing 36 holes.

"Very fun round"

bartolucci's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2017
First time playing Walked Windy weather

I took advantage of the unadvertised walking rate (thanks to previous reviewers!) and had a great time out on the course. The track is really challenging with lots of bunkers in-play and a couple of risk-reward holes that really challenge placement. I didn't shoot my best round here, but really had fun.

Commented on 03/09/2017

bartolucci,

Thanks for coming out to play the Champions course. We do offer both a resident and a walking rate on Champions; and with this weather it's a perfect day to walk. Many locals love the desert layout of the Champions course and frequently choose it over the Stadium course. We hope to see you back again soon.

"Great day"

GenoJanice's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/01/2017

it was the second time we played the Champions, it was in great shape and all staff were friendly. make this a must play course when in Scottsdale.

Commented on 03/03/2017

GenoJanice,

We thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and for choosing to play the Champions course at TPC Scottsdale. The Champions is held to the same maintenance standards as the Stadium course; and conditions have been excellent. It's a fun desert layout an often a favorite with locals. Please consider visiting again in the future.

"tpc champions"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/27/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

very playable golf course. pace of play was great.

4:15. greens were smooth.

Commented on 03/01/2017

u0000670874,

We're happy you had an opportunity to play the Champions course and took the time to give us your feedback. The Champions is a fun course to play and is a very different layout than the Stadium course. Conditions are kept to the same standards as the Stadium and greens are really good right now. I hope you have an opportunity to come back again - we have a special 36 hole rate throughout most of the year.

TPC Scottsdale Management Team

"Noisiest Golf Course Ever"

RyeWright's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/27/2017

The turf condition was, at best, average - clearly the stadium course got all the attention for the WMO, the greens were true, but much slower than I expected. All in all just a so-so track, and there are tons of others to choose from in the Valley.

What dropped this review from "meh" to "I won't be back" was the noise level. The Scottsdale airport is very nearby, and we experienced private jets landing about every ten minutes the entire round. If it wasn't the jets, it was helicopters. Add to that the fact that several holes abut a major roadway, and rather than being a pleasant experience in the Sonoran desert it was a non-stop din. Oh, and when all of that seemed to abate for a moment, the grounds crew mowed the dust. Not sure what the objective of grooming was when they were driving the present guests crazy!

Won't play here again.

Commented on 02/28/2017

RyeWright,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your experience at TPC Scottsdale Champions course. I'm sorry the round did not meet your expectations, as I know you have several choices of golf in Scottsdale.

The flight path for the Scottsdale Airport is right over the course and can get very busy, especially on Monday mornings and Friday afternoons. Additionally, there can be some military jets in the area. Some folks find it interesting to watch, while others, like yourself, find it bothersome. Unfortunately, there's not much we can control there. I am more concerned about your comments regarding conditions and dust and have forwarded your feedback to our Director of Agronomy. Conditions have been excellent - I'm wondering if you might have played post rain.

If you find yourself back in Scottsdale again, please consider the Stadium course next time. It doesn't have nearly the flight noise as the Champions Course.

golfer499's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/27/2017

"A coyote rememberance"

Snooch1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/22/2017

The whole experience was wonderful but I must admit seeing a pair of coyotes walking the fairways on a few holes and howling was very intimidating. The course was in excellent shape and the pace of play was outstanding. A ranger kept patrolling and kept the play moving. Really a good experience, just wished I played better. Enjoy!

Commented on 02/23/2017

Snooch1,

We're so happy you chose to play TPC Scottsdale on your visit from PA. There are so many great courses in Scottsdale to choose from. Champions is in great shape right now and is a fun desert layout. I hope you weren't too nervous about our friendly coyotes. I've never heard of a coyote getting too close or actually bothering a golfer. They pretty much stick to themselves. But how fun to see some wildlife during your stay. Come back and visit again. Maybe next time you can play the Stadium course.

"Yawn"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/20/2017

This is a nice course but its proximity to the airport means that there are very few holes where the noise of the aircraft taking off and landing doesn't become intrusive. Our round got off to a bad start when the other pair scheduled to play with us didn't show up. However, we were told that we should still be finished in 4 hours. The front nine took two and a half hours - no sign of a marshall. A marshall was sent out after about 3 hours but it had virtually no effect because the 2nd nine was only 15 minutes quicker. I'm not sure why the 4 ball in front of us wasn't prepared to let us through but they (and the other groups ahead of them) should have been required to let us through. Ridiculously poor management. I would not recommend this course for the above reasons

"Beautiful Day in Paradise"

bill0000033's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/15/2016

Mid December and it's 75*F. Course was in beautiful shape, with winter brown rough and bright green fairways & greens. Greens rolled true. Couldn't ask for a better round. Price OK for December

Commented on 12/19/2016

Bill,

It sounds like you had a great day on the golf course last week. This is why we live in the Phoenix area - just so we can enjoy golf in the middle of winter while everyone else suffers through the snow and freezing temps. Course conditions are excellent right now - making it one of the best times of year to play. We hope to see you back soon. Enjoy the holidays. Thank you for your feedback.

"TPC Stadium"

joegal's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/03/2016

Got behind some new golfers - lost a lot of their own balls and spent a lot of time looking for them. As a result - our round was 4:50 - we were told it would be about 4:15. Marshall keeping them in position would have been nice. Otherwise - enjoyable day with LOTS OF SUN!!

Commented on 12/06/2016

joegal,

I hope you enjoyed your visit from Spokane. Sun is good coming from the cold northwest. We appreciate your feedback regarding pace of play and experience. I'm sorry for the 4:50 pace- makes it harder to get into a groove. Conditions are really good as we head into our busy season. We hope you visit again soon. Happy Holidays!

"Fantastic condition"

ktutt's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/29/2016

After playing several other courses in the greater Phoenix/Scottsdale area, I concluded my trip in grand style by playing the Champions course at TPC Scottsdale before flying out the same day. Despite a brief frost delay I had a most enjoyable day primarily due to the amazing conditions that this course offered.

Commented on 12/13/2016

From Toronto, going to be staying next to TPC in a week for 1 day. I would love to play a round of golf, since you've played several, can you recommend your favourite under $100. My HDC is 10. Thanks!

Commented on 12/01/2016

ktutt,

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your round on the Champions course. It's such a good golf course and is in great shape right now as we head into our peak season. The Champions course really is a "hidden gem" and a favorite with locals. We hope to see you again soon. Happy Holidays.

"Got to try it."

pontesal's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/17/2016

Great course. Well maintained. Great Sandy bunkers. If you are in the Scottsdale area you should give it a try

Commented on 11/18/2016

pontesal,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. The conditions are really good on the Champions course right now. We are going to be offering some specials over Thanksgiving week and the weeks leading up to Christmas, in addition to some offers during Scottsdale Golf Week December 5-11. We hope you can join us again soon.

"First Time at TPC"

Haymker's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/23/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

We played in the afternoon, hoping that it would keep the snowbirds off the course, but we had to wait on every tee.

The course itself was beautiful, unfortunately it had been over seeded and it was carts only. This may was a reason for the slow pace. My biggest disappointment was the shape of the greens. They were a little fuzzy, and VERY slow.

I did love the layout, and while 6600 is about right for me, the course played long as it was being heavily watered so getting any roll was very difficult.

I'm sure all those things were a big part of the low cost for this course. I would love to go back and play this course when its it great shape.

The staff was great and very friendly.

Commented on 10/26/2016

Haymaker

I hope you have another opportunity to come back and play. October is usually a tough month for golf in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area as most courses are recovering from over-seeding. The best time to play is about a month later.

We are starting to get ready for the Waste Management Phoenix Open so there is lots of activity around here. Keep an eye out on our email newsletter for specials and promotions. It's really fun to play when the structure are in place.

I thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

TPC Scottsdale Management

"I guess I didn't read the fine print"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/09/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

When we got to the course, the bag drop guys said nothing about course use, the folks in the shop said nothing about course use, and the first time we heard the course was cart path only was when we got to the starter. I am 70 years old and on a warm day cart path only is not wonderful. The grass is coming in but really not ready for prime time - it is very thin and there are lots of holes in the grass.

The course plays a little long for me - but most do. I like the layout - I've played it before and enjoyed it. But the cart path restrictions should have been made clear BEFORE we paid.

Commented on 10/11/2016

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent round on the Champions Course.

I apologize for the lack of communication regarding our post-overseeding cart policy. Providing a first rate experience and meeting your expectations are very importance to us. We should have notified you several times about CPO prior to your arrival.

We will be in CPO mode on Champions through the end of October. I hope we can provide an improved experience next time you visit TPC Scottsdale.

TPC Scottsdale Management

"Good course with poor pace of play."

JG777's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/10/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Good course with fair greens that we know are near over-seed time. Layout is fun to play. Only issue is pace of play. Called clubhouse and received very little help on the issue. They came out and acknowledged only to never return to check and see how things were going. When it takes 1 hour and 12 minutes to play holes, 10, 11, and 12, that is unacceptable. Took 2 hours and 40 minutes to play the back 9. Group in front of us hitting 2 to 3 balls each off tee and carelessly looking for them while every group piled on each other. As many employees walking around at this place, you would think they would have a better management situation. Won't be returning any time soon.

Commented on 09/13/2016

JG777

We appreciate your feedback regarding pace of play on the Champions Course the other day. Without your comments we would not be able to address the issues we face as a service oriented business. I am sorry we were not able to meet your expectations. No one wants a slow round. In the event you do decide to play the Champions course in the future, we would greatly appreciate any new feedback regarding pace.

"Great shape"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/09/2016

This course is in great shape and what a great value! Took advantage of an early morning tee time and finished in a little over 3 hours. Have heard many great things about this course and all held true. Hit the ball down the middle and it's a fair course!

"Dramatic Views/Great Track"

roncacini's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/08/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Highly recommend for locals and visitors. Course may be used in the future for tournaments, and it shows they are preparing!!

Commented on 09/09/2016

roncacini

We appreciate your feedback. The Champions Course is often considered a local favorite and is a much different playing experience than the Stadium Course, home of the Waste Management Phoenix Open. The Champions Tour holds their Q-school qualifying event at the Champions Course every couple years and we also host a number of other events, too. We hope to see you again in the near future.