TPC Scottsdale - The Champions Course

GPS: No

Practice bunker: Yes
Indoor practice facilities: Yes
Simulator: Yes

Dress code: Collared shirt required, no denim
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is convenient to the city near local attractions worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers locals a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens water hazards   Great for drinks patio dining watching the game

"Not bad for the money"

dharvey13's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/30/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

I was in Scottsdale on business and I wanted to check out the TPC. The Stadium Course was my first choice but it was closed so we booked the Champions course. I got a great deal on their website, so I took it. We arrived an hour early and the staff was very friendly and inviting. We putted for a while. I noticed the greens were very slow on the practice green. This was the case throughout the entire course. The driving range was nice and I was able to get warmed up for the round.

The course is challenging. There are lots of spots where you can get into trouble. There is hidden water and lots of desert areas that can trip you up. We were lucky to be paired with 2 locals and they provided lots of good local tips. It truly helped. The greens were very tough to read. They are slow. I know that happens in the summer but it was still a challenge to get any type of check on the ball. The course does have some areas that are in bad shape. There are fairways that are transitioning and that led to some tough lies and some scrambling on the course. The bunkers were in excellent shape and there was no issues when I was in them. The rough is tough. It was thick and challenged you to hit the ball true.

All in all I like the set up. I bet this course is amazing in the fall. I would play it again.

"Not at all worth it"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/30/2017

The course needed attention: VERY Shaggy next to fairways and greens : you couldn't see your ball even just 3 or 4 feet from the edge of the green ( unless you were literally standing right over it). To make matters worse , we were paired with a " member" who was rude and had worse etiquette than anyone I remember playing with in a long time : he acted like he owned the place. The likelihood of me ever subjecting myself to this again is extremely low. I would rather pay half the price for a better maintained course and a greater chance of being paired with a friendly , non- caustic partner.

"Summer conditions"

TitusEnnis9817's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2017

This is an outstanding course. With monsoon season and some stretches of severe heat the course was not manicured in some areasas well as usual. Rough is very tough. Greens are slow (summer length) but well groomed. Fairways and traps are outstanding.

Great course.

"Not fit for Champions"

mrmelero's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2017

First, I called to see about rates and what courses were open and the Pro shop mentioned nothing about aerification of greens. So I Uber from my hotel/conference thinking "oh pretty good deal to play a TPC course". Well sadly NOT. Get there and realized greens are punched. Fairways are not mowed. dead grass has been cut out from areas all over the course. My local nine hole track at home has better conditions than this place. They should have only charged me like $15 and gave me a free drink. The atmosphere was nice, but the course left a sour taste in my mouth with the shape it was in. When I am on vacation I want to feel like I get my money's worth. I did not here. Sadly I had so many other options in the area too.

Commented on 07/24/2017

mrmelero,

We apologize for your poor experience during your recent trip to our Champions Course. It was not our intention to mislead you in any way. The summer season is tough for Arizona golf courses as we are all undergoing transitions. We hope you give us another chance.

Thanks,

TPC Scottsdale Management Team

"Great course but under repair"

lukoachu's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Got a good deal on GolfNow. Finished the round in less than three hours. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The course was very fair, but was in 'repair' mode. Fairways had several burn spots on nearly every hole. Several holes around the green had grass recently removed/replaced. Sand traps were in excellent condition. Greens were a little bumpy but overall in great shape in the summer heat. The biggest disappointment were the brown/burnt spots in the fairway. I'm sure this course is drop dead gorgeous in the winter/spring.

Commented on 07/11/2017

lukoachu,

Thanks for choosing to play TPC Scottsdale. Just to let you know, the good deals you see on GolfNow are the same deals you would see on our web site. But if you book with TPC Scottsdale directly you won't have to pay the booking fees GolfNow charges. Best rates are always on our web site.

The transition to Bermuda grasses took a little longer this year and we have had some challenges with the Champions fairways in certain areas. We are aerifying this week and replacing some of the sod. With the summer heat it's always more difficult to maintain conditions, which as you states, are best during the winter months.

printman77's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2017

The staff was extremely friendly, the course was in good shape for May a little water logged due to having the 1st tee time .Enjoyed the round and will be back again.

Commented on 05/30/2017

Printman77,

We hope to see you again in the near future. As a resident you receive reduced rates on the Champions course. We also have a walking rate on the Champions course. But walking could get a little hot as we move into the summer months. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2017

"obnoxious experience"

u000001914353's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/18/2017

The starter from New York was so obnoxious. He told us "Cart path only on 1,14,and 15." We said "okay no problem." Then he demanded we write it down, to circle 1,14,15 on the scorecard. Next, he literally acted as if we weren't allowed to play the back tees. After drilling us on our handicaps he walked us to the 1st tee and stood a few feet away while we hit. When I hit a breakfast ball, he literally shook his head at me\us.

The course layout and pace of play were great, however, we were often hitting with maintenance staff working in the fairways and sometimes right next to greens. Literally working in the location i wanted to position my drive. We politely waited on a couple occasions for the workers to move aside, they diidnt. Waving at them did not help either.

Obviously, the course is transitioning to summer grasses but it also appears TPC wants it to play like a resort course: slow, soggy, wet and yes very green. That's unfortunate because its a nice layout that was not designed to play slow. So even if you do get to experience it without the rude starter and the distractions from the maintenance staff, it won't be what it was meant to be, a walking players course.

Felt compelled to write my first review after this experience. Arizonian 20 years.

Commented on 05/22/2017

We regret not being able to provide you with an experience equated with the TPC brand. I can only profusely apologize and ask if you can reach out to us directly by calling 480-585-4334 and request to speak to management. As much as it disappoints us to hear, we do respect and appreciate your feedback, as it will help us focus on areas for improvement. Thank you for taking the time to review.

TPC Scottsdale Management Team

"TPC Champions, fun track"

mcarlson0522's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2017

Played TPC Champions for the first time in early May 2017. I've played almost every golf course in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area and this was pretty decent. Definitely fair off the tee and had a nice mix of holes. I'm not petty but there were way too many brown spots around the fairways for being early May in Arizona. Greens were regular speed but rolled extremely true. Staff is extremely friendly and the practice area is above average. 80 bucks is a touch high for May, but hey you're in north Scottsdale and you're going to fork over a bit more for the name and location. Overall I wouldn't normally come back here for so so track, however, the staff was great and the location is solid. For a golfer that visits 2-4 times a year and plays everyday for the weeks I'm here there are much better courses to play, you just have to drive further.

Commented on 05/11/2017

mcarlson0522,

We hope you had a great visit to Scottsdale. April and May is our shoulder season as we're transitioning back to Bermuda and preparing for the summer heat to come. This is why you see some brown spots around the fairways - the grasses are transitioning. We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback about staff and conditions and hope you will consider visiting TPC Scottsdale again in the future.

"Horrible Pace of Play"

Derek7738585's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2017

Probably the worst pace of play ever 2:20 on front and back 3 holes took 1.15 hours so we decided to leave. Staff told us the let 3 groups jump in and no course marshal came around

Commented on 05/02/2017

Derek,

You have our attention. We apologize we were not able to meet your expectations, especially regarding pace of play. If possible, please contact us with your date of play and tee time. It will help us identify why we were experiencing slow play that day and take efforts to make improvements. Thank you for your feedback.

With apologies,

"Solid Golf Course"

Bunkertown20's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2017

Had a great day playing the champions course. The course layout was challenging and the course was in good condition aside for some wet spots in the fairway. My only complaint was the slow greens, a nice course like this in my opinion should have the greens running close to an 11, these couldn't have been much faster than an 8.

Commented on 05/16/2017

Bunkertown20,

We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback about your experience on the Champions course. We are right in the midst of transitioning from overseed to "summer" Bermuda. But the course conditions are still good. We will begin to see more dry conditions as temperatures begin to increase in the valley. We hope you will consider visiting TPC Scottsdale again in the near future.

"TPC"

Tomcatter's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/17/2017

Great course. First time on this course. Pace was steady. Course was challenging. For sure would play again when in Scottsdale.

Commented on 04/21/2017

Tomcatter,

We appreciate your feedback regarding your experience at TPC Scottsdale. The Champions course is a fun layout; it's also a great walking course. So many golfers don't know about the Champs course because it's not in the spotlight like the Stadium course. But it is considered a favorite among staff and members. Come visit us again soon.

"TPC Delight"

kesbmk's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2017

Love this course- and it's a great course to walk, friendly, professional staff always looking out for your satisfaction.

kesbmk

Glad to hear you enjoyed your round at TPC Scottsdale. Our staff love to play the Champs course, which does offer a walking rate. It's kind of a hidden gem. We hope you can visit us again from Chicago.

TPC Scottsdale Management Team

"great foursome, over-priced golf"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/07/2017

We've been coming to Phoenix for the past 15 years and I've now played 46 different courses in the valley, including 2 rounds at this course. Our most recent round was great - met two good guys from PA and had an enjoyable round - perfect weather, of course.

Course was in average condition, at best. Greens were good, fairways were tired and somewhat thin. At more than $100 per round - way over priced compared to places like Legacy/Baseline and Trilogy/Power Road. You're relying too much on TPC name to charge this much at the Champions Course.

Commented on 04/21/2017

Golfer from Muscatine,

Sounds like you are a frequent visitor to the Phoenix area - I certainly haven't played 46 courses. There are so many more to play, too. We appreciate your choosing to play TPC Scottsdale. Like many courses in the area we are beginning to transition from our overseeding rye to Bermuda grass as the weather conditions get hotter, which is why you see some of the thinning fairways. The Champs is a great layout and fun to play.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2017

u000007592007's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2017

"One of the area's best"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2017

Decided to splurge and got our money's worth. Fees included a small bag of balls, not mentioned in the golf now web site, so a nice surprise. Overall, the range, tees, greens and fairways were some of the best we have seen in the valley. Three of us played from the blue tees and found the course to play longer than the total yardage shown on the score card, my wife played the front tees and she felt it played a bit shorter than she would like. The layout is superb, with a nice variety of shapes, lengths, pars, and especially challenges that make you think hard about club/shot selection. Overall, it was a very satisfying day on the course. Please note that the GolfNow site gives the wrong address - the Champion course is one block EAST of Scottsdale road, and one block south from there.

u1656986

We appreciate you choosing to play the Champions course at TPC Scottsdale. Sounds like you had a great experience. Conditions have been really good this year. There are also some great risk reward holes out there. Yes, the Champions clubhouse is in a different location across the street on Bell Rd. We hope you can visit us again soon.

"Great round"

mgblair's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/05/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Great quick round on the Champions course. Friendly/helpful staff, great rang/putting green, and the course was in great shape. Busy morning on the course, but was able to complete the round just under 4 hours.

mgblair,

Thank you for choosing to play the Champions course and for taking the time to give us your feedback on your experience. Conditions are still good as we head into the shoulder season. It's been a busy March and April. Come back and visit us again soon.

jd6236's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2017

"A great premium course"

bdownesak's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/30/2017

The staff were very friendly and down to earth. They anticipate your needs at every turn and genuinely care about their product. There was no stone unturned. The only flaws I witnessed was some standing water and dry rough near some of the greens. That being said... the tees were amazing and the greens were smoooooth. Great track. Would play again any day!!!

Commented on 03/31/2017

bdownesak,

Thank you for choosing to play TPC Scottsdale on your visit from Alaska. Hopefully, you got some warm weather during your stay. The Champions course has been in really good shape all winter and is a favorite track with most of our staff. Green fee are also about half that of the Stadium course. We hope you consider TPC Scottsdale on your next visit to Arizona.