Raptor at Grayhawk Golf Club

Average Rating 3.5 stars from 5

"Awesome first experience"

Sam117's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/14/2017

Greens were rolling great. The layout of this course is very compatible to that of Troon North (one of the best in AZ) in terms of being scenic and different between each hole. There wasn't a single hole that was disappointing or unfair. The views made it difficult to focus on playing good golf!

I will be back!

"Loved the Raptor"

randyhair127's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2017

This is by far the more fun and fair of the two Grayhawk courses. The only hole I didn't like is #10. Miss the green left or even hitting out of the right side green bunker you will be in Quill Creek. Not an easy course, but very enjoyable to play.

jeff6190732's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/20/2017

Played this course for the first time today, not worth the money they are charging you. Pace of play is ridiculous. Marshall kept apologizing saying he was warning slow groups in front of us but 5+ hours for a round is unacceptable. And for $230 I'll stay away from now on and will not recommend to anyone.

"cool place"

gloose's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Awesome facility leads to a solid place to practice and play. Course is in good shape with solid greens. Fun layout until number 16. They remodeled numbers 15-17 a year or so ago and really did a poor job. Number 15 is a fine hole. However, number 16 may be one of the worst holes I have ever seen as it is nothing more than a wedge shot and if you happen to miss it left by a foot, you end up in the desert with an impossible shot as the grass does not extend far enough. Number 17 isn't quite as bad but it is by far the easiest hole on the course, it needs some bunkers. All in all a fun place.

"Tough Course"

dhudson13877's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Well, this course really ate my lunch the day I played it. I consider myself to be a pretty decent golfer, but I probably should've played from the set of tees in front of the greens. This course was really long, and you can't be wayward with your tee shots. The greens were sandy, and played fairly slow. My guess is that they had been punched about a month before I played there. Overall, the practice facility and clubhouse were nice. I didn't eat there, but the restaurant/bar area looked nice. I feel like I got fairly good value for my money, as I paid $60 to play here at 9:00 a.m. Keep in mind that it's in the middle of the summer in Arizona.

I'm sure the course is nicer during the winter months, but I'm not sure I would be rushing back to play here. Mainly because there are so many other options nearby. Like I said, I'd like to play it during peak season just to have a good comparison.

"So sad what they have done to Raptor"

Greggo3's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

STAY AWAY! They have basically ruined Raptor with the "redesign" of 15, 16, 17 to allow room for their big new hotel. 15 is a so-so par 4, 16 is a sad crammed-in-there 100-yar par 3, and the teeth have been taken from 17 by shortening it from about 420 to 270 yards. How to take one of the better Phoenix-area courses and make it disappointingly poor at the finish. It is so sad, and I will no longer consider Grayhawk a course of choice.

Course Layout: Poor

"waste of money"

Lowam2018's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/17/2016

While Grayhawk might be rated one of the best courses in North Scottsdale, I beg to differ. This course is purely a cash cow. Boasted up with Phil Mickelson's name on it, it's a total bust. The actual reason this course really sucks is the newly re routed holes 15, 16. These two new holes literally look like they belong to the local city course. 15 a down hill easy par 4 that has no appeal what so ever. 16 a really short par 3 that makes you wonder why you spent any money on this course. This course is a wannabe North Scottsdale dream track that doesn't deliver.

Course Layout: Poor

"Tough but fun"

SantaBarbaraBirdies's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/17/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

I prefer tougher courses that are walk-able. And this one fits the bill perfectly. The greens are fast and undulated and perhaps most challenging, convex. You better bring your A game if you want to play well out here as your approach shots are everything. Miss your target landing zone by a few feet and you're staring a at bogie. Off the tee the course is fair and long enough for even the biggest hitters, the conditions were great as the greens were flawless. Bunkers were in good condition but many were left un tended (where do people play that they dont have to rake their bunkers? Apparently here!). The 15, 16 and 17th are new due to a re-routing and they are not nearly of the caliber of the other 14 holes. Maybe that will change with some time but I felt that they ruined the round as they played differently and were visually less appealing than the other 15 holes. Overall I liked it better than the Talon (except for 15, 16 and 17) and will definitily be back. Expensive but a great course and a fun facility and in my opinion not nearly as nice as Troon in both conditions and layout.

"Three new holes on the Raptor course at Grayhawk could have been better"

JasonDeeganGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/17/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

The Raptor - long one of the favorites of Scottsdale - reopened in October after three holes - no. 15, 16 and 17 - were rerouted by original architect Tom Fazio in case of future development. The results are mixed. The new 15th hole starts on an elevated tee. The fairway swings from left to right off of a large fairway bunker. A severe green has several ridges in it. It's a solid hole. The 16th, however, looks like an eyesore. There's no mountain backdrop or desert landscape to give it definition or character. A front bunker protects a green that kicks shots left into a collection area, which doesn't have enough grass to save shots from falling into a terrible lie. The 17th hole isn't bad, but it could be so much more. The short par 4 plays 301 yards from the tees that most players will use. It could use another bunker or two to give the tee shot more of a risk-reward feel. Otherwise, it should be an easy par with potential for birdie. Thankfully, all the other things that make Grayhawk so great - stout par 5s like the no. 5 and no. 18 - and Phil's Grill inside the clubhouse will likely never change.

"Need to rethink the changes made to the course"

danielcbelanger's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/22/2015
Previously played Paired up at course Used cart Excellent weather

I have played Grayhawk, Raptor, for many years and loved the design and the challenge. In 2015 they made changes to holes 15, 16 and 17 in order to maximize land for future commercial development. In late October 2015, I played the redesigned course. The new hole 15 is a beautifully designed hole, long, with a well protected green and pleasing to the eye. Hole 16 is now a very short par 3; the day we played, it was 120 yards from the mid tees. It must be one of the ugliest designed par 3 holes for a "championship" course that I have seen in the valley. The old hole 16 was beautiful and challenging. You are better off skipping 16 and going straight to hole 17. The new Hole 17 is the same as the old hole but it has now been shortened from over 400 yards to around 280 yards. That would be ok if they had put a few bunkers around the green(there are no bunkers on this hole) to give the hole some protection and some definition. Someone controlling the costs must have been involved in the design. Hole 17 could have been very nice if the design team had added a few bunkers. I am not sure if I will play Raptor in the future as I think the new design has been poorly planned and executed. It cheapens an otherwise beautiful and challenging course. Too bad!!

"Mud balls"

JimHowie's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

If you like playing with mud balls during a tournament then this is the course for you. I get more mud balls in one round here than I get playing the entire winter in Seattle. I never heard "I need to play a provisional" as many times as when I play this course. I played a round of golf with two guys that each took 5 unplayable ball penalties on the same hole. When I go to the desert; I am not thinking mud balls but here I get them here. I rather play Quintero or Southern Dunes real desert golf.

"sand"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2015

xcellent course but bunkers were rock hard. The bunkers need to b filled with SAND

"Challenging But Fair"

cmokroy's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/30/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I loved the Raptor. It may have helped that I played well, but what I love is that its complex around the greens but fair. If you hit it solid, you are rewarded. On the wrong side of the hole and you are in trouble.

We played 1 up and it was fair. A mix of short and long, with most tee shots level or downhill.

I was fortunate to play a few other top end courses, and none were as complex around the greens as Raptor.

I am a huge fan and would play there again in a heartbeat, even in 100+ conditions.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Raptor"

rr080210mgr's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/09/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Tough course. Keep it in the fairway when you play at Greyhawk.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Favorite courses in the valley"

JackgolfPGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2014

I love playing both courses at grayhawk. They are masterpieces when it comes to the design, the staff is always very friendly and always working to give you the best experience possible, and the courses are always in top-notch condition. Both courses have a lot to offer when it comes to difficulty and scoring. Raptor tends to be a bit harder than talon because it is longer, it is a bit more exposed to the wind, and the demand for precise shots is greater, but good shots are rewarded and birdies can be made on any hole. Many of the tough holes require some finesse to fight out the pars, while the easier holes have many options off the tee and reward creativity into and on the greens. The greens are very tricky when they are quick due to the large ridges and slopes in the greens, so knowing where to miss is key. I love going to grayhawk raptor if I want a stern test of golf, while still having fun and firing some good numbers.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent