Hillcrest Golf Club at Sun City West

Pull-carts: No
Caddies: No
GPS: No

Dress code: Shirt with a collar as well as no denim bottoms
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is in the 'burbs convenient to the city worth the drive   Great for locals seniors advanced golfers   Challenges include water hazards bunkers undulating greens   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole specials

"Nice day, course just reseeded."

jifferoo's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/20/2017

The course was in quite nice shape. The grass has come in quite well. There are very few poor spots so overall I'd rate the condition very good. The pace of play on the front nine was excellent. We were a group of three did not wait and did not hold anyone up behind us. The back nine the pace of play was pretty terrible. We waited on every hole and some more than others. The group in front of us was waiting as well. Never saw a ranger on the course. Booked on deal time so was very happy with the price.

"Great therapy"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2017

Trying to get back to form after hip surgery. This course offered a terrain friendly track while still challenging my current abilities.

"Good course"

dmoc's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/17/2017

This course is a workhorse. Not fancy Country Club-type. A bit rough around the edges but a good length, challenging and a course I have enjoyed on several occasions.

Play it.

"Coming out of overseed"

mrknowitall01's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2017

Fairways and greens were in good shape, but a little furry, coming out of overseed, understandable. We were confined to driving rough only, that was in horrible shape! Mud tracks, exposed gravel, and grass stripped to soil. Front side sees more traffic than the back and it's obvious! Hard time justifying $40 green fees, but I get used to the $20 rates in the summer.

Commented on 10/19/2017

Thank you for playing Hillcrest Golf Club, and taking the time to fill out the online survey. 'Now that we are a couple weeks past overseed everything has been cut down to normal heights. The cart path restriction has been lifted and carts are now allowed in fairways. We do hope to see you back at the course again soon!

"Nice Outing"

jdperry37's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/11/2017

The course is a beautiful layout. It was just overseeded and the fairways are decent. The greens are fuzzy and sluggish, making putting difficult. All in all for the price the course offers a nice outing. Good pace and great weather. We look forward to playing it again.

Commented on 10/19/2017

Thank you for playing Hillcrest Golf Club and taking the time to fill out a survey. We definitely appreciate the positive comments! The greens have been cut down now and we recently lifted our cart path restriction, so we hope you come out and play again soon!

"Good Value"

u000001319585's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/10/2017

The overseeding has now grown in and cart path only is required until next week. The staff is excellent, The greens are slow but good. Fairways are growing in nicely.

I play the course year round and it is in the best shape I have seen in some time.

Excellent driving range.

Commented on 10/19/2017

Thank you for playing Hillcrest Golf Club, and taking time out of your day to fill out an online review. We appreciate the positive comments and look forward to seeing you back at the course!

"great time"

newcre8's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/07/2017

2nd day open after overseeting. Greens were long but course was in great shape. They still haven't done anything with the cart paths after tearing them out...a year ago? Most of the bunkers had good sand in them. Having played here a lot in the past I didn't expect much but we were pleasantly surprised.

Commented on 10/19/2017

Thank you for taking the time to fill out the online comment card. We appreciate you coming out to play the course knowing that we were fresh out of overseed. We have now been open 2 weeks and things are in great shape. We hope to see you back soon!

~HC~

"99 degrees in Sun city west az"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/15/2017

The course was great.

Really enjoyed the course

Commented on 09/21/2017

Thank you for choosing to play Hillcrest Golf Club! We plan on re-opening from our overseed on 10/6/2017. The course conditions and weather should be excellent by then, so we hope you come back to play again soon.

"fun layout"

mikeaz518's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/12/2017

this is the 2nd time i have played here this summer and i very much enjoy the layout. it is really fun and challenging. however the course is in terrible shape. when i commented this to the staff i was told that they are drying out for over seeding next week. . however, there is not much change since the last time i was here. i am hopeful the next time the conditions will have improved. i hope to play here again

Commented on 09/14/2017

Thank you for taking the time to not only play Hillcrest Golf Club, but to leave the online review. The week you played happens to be the week before we overseed, so the course is very dry at the moment. We plan on being in excellent shape come October and can't wait for you to check out the fall conditions. I would like to extend a complimentary round to you on your next visit for being such good customer. I will leave a round with your name on it in our safe so you can redeem it at anytime.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

I thought the course was in great shape. I had no bad lies in the fairway.

Commented on 09/14/2017

Thank you for playing Hillcrest Golf Club and taking the time out of your day to leave an online review. We appreciate the positive words about the fairways and can't wait for you to check out our fall/winter conditions. We hope to see you at the course in the near future.

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2017

Commented on 09/14/2017

Thank you for playing Hillcrest Golf Club and leaving an online review. We hope to see you a the course in the future.

CharlOgd6's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Haven't played this course for a few years. what a change for the absolute worse, cart path overgrown with grass and weeds, dead spots throughout the course. hole 13 cart path was the pits and they use an overgrown bunker to dump their old brush and tree limbs. My God what has happened to a course I used to play almost weekly and now I will never go back, even if it was free

Commented on 09/14/2017

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to leave the online review. The course has actually been going thru some improvements over the last couple years, and not going downhill. The cart paths you speak of were removed last year and we are in the process of filling them in with fill dirt, which takes time. The bunkers you speak of being in bad condition are being removed from the golf course which is why you see them in their current conditions. We re-open from overseed on October 5th and plan on being in great condition then. We hope you come see us this fall.

Nick3498765's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/21/2017

Commented on 08/29/2017

Thank you for coming to play Hillcrest and taking the time to write an online review. We appreciate it!

"Bad shape"

uMPEL5045MP's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2017

Dead spots all over the course some areas the rough was a foot deep plus standing water on almost everyone hole

Commented on 07/31/2017

Sorry to hear about your bad experience but we have been doing a lot of work on the course and i think you should come check us out again and see the improvements.

"Maintainence Issue"

Kfritch1988's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/21/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

For my 830 tee time, there was still a mower on the first fairway as well as sprinklers going off. Swampy fairway conditions paired with mowers all over the course, the front 9 was miserable. Started the 10th tee with some sort of fuel truck backing through the course with loud backup beeping as well as a sprinkler actively watering the fairway... at 930! Golfed a pristine course in Wickenburg for the same price the day prior and kept kicking myself for paying to play this joke of a course. Would consider going back if it was free and I needed some mud on my irons. Staff friendliness avoids the 1 star rating, but I would not recommend this course to anyone looking to play a serious round of golf. Only course condition I can commend is the greens, which were in decent shape but painfully slow.

"Fun day"

endlsumer's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2017

The staff was really nice to us. It was my wife, son and I for a 1pm tee time. There was no one out there except a couple of singles that caught us on the back nine. We all really enjoyed the round. There were some burnt out areas but they were trying to fix them so it didn't bother us one bit. The greens were fast and not burnt out. Overall we enjoyed this course. The person handling the carts was really nice and helped set the tone for the day.

Commented on 06/21/2017

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. we are glad that you enjoyed it and hope to see you back real soon.

rnelson297's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2017

Commented on 06/09/2017

Thank you for commenting on our course hope to see you back real soon.

u000005920009's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/21/2017

"Don't go here!"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

This is the 3rd round I've played in the Sun City West area, the other two being Coyote Lakes and Trail Ridge, both of which I would recommend. I wish I could say the same for Hillcrest. At one time this may have been a nice course. Now, it's in dire need of an update. The tee boxes are poorly marked- no yardage signs and some with no numbers, resulting in a first-timer having a difficult time finding his way around- and are in bad shape. The old cart paths have been torn out, leaving anything off the fairway a hard play. Some of the greens badly need repair. Overall, it looks like the result of not enough money coming in. There are many other courses that would be a far better choice to play.

Course Layout: Poor

"You can tell they are not thinking long term"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Was very disappointed in the course conditions. They took out the cart paths and it is like a tank trap coming off the tees. Horrible fairway conditions. I will not play this course again. You can tell that they are not thinking long-term with the way the course is. Disappointing because the course is a nice layout.