Hillcrest Golf Club at Sun City West

• 20002 N Star Ridge Dr, Sun City West, Arizona 85375, Maricopa County
  • www.hillcrestgolfclub.com

Year built: 1978
Architect(s): Greg Nash (1978), Jeff Hardin (1978)
Type: Public
Style: Traditional
Greens: Bermuda Grass
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Pull-carts: No
Caddies: No
GPS: No

Dress code: Shirt with a collar as well as no denim bottoms
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 3.2 stars from 5

Location is in the 'burbs convenient to the city worth the drive   Great for locals seniors advanced golfers   Challenges include water hazards bunkers undulating greens   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole specials

golfman631212's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/25/2017

bubbalee2's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/22/2017

"Best Value in Greater Phoenix"

Mkimmins's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

I was fortunate enough to play Hillcrest this past Saturday. The course was in fantastic shape. Tees, fairways and greens can compete with anyone in the valley. They are currently remodeling their cart paths, which they mentioned before we went out. The paths that are still on the course are in great shape. They have some areas where the cart paths have been removed. If you know the rules of golf, these areas are ground under repair and are a free lift, which would not effect you in any way. Some fairway bunkers were hard, but that just made them easier to get out of. All greenside bunkers had been groomed and were soft enough to get out of.

We saw the Beverage Cart multiple times and she was more than attentive.

I moved from the west valley awhile ago and it had been some time since I have played Hillcrest. I was very happy with my choice. The staff is really putting time and effort back into the facility and it shows.

Thanks for a great round!

u000003851907's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/15/2017

7462011's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/11/2017

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2017

Staff was very friendly

The course is poorly maintained

Bird goose and other dropping everywhere

It is cheap and easy to get tee times

"What has happened to Hillcrest?"

Griggs22's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/08/2017

Many years ago this used to be one of the best courses around the west valley. A great layout in great condition. Not anymore. They are taking out sand traps or should I say letting them go to weeds. Most traps had little to no sand in them.....REALLY???? I guess the price of sand here in the desert must be up. They removed a lot of cart paths...sort of??? What a mess. The course needs a badly needed renovation. I hope someone saves this course soon.

"Nice day"

billgolf2's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/08/2017
Previously played Used cart Verified Purchaser

The place is always fun for me. I like the course and they really went out of their way to please yesterday.

The ranger was the best I've ever had. Looks like their working on some of the side areas, cart paths etc so that was ok.

"nice course"

uDPHY2066DP's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/07/2017

The course in good shape and the greens were very good and fast. The sand traps were hard and not nice to play out of.

Over all I would go back.

Commented on 03/08/2017

Thank you for taking the time to fill out the online review. We look forward to seeing you back at the course.

"Hurry up!"

ZachGriffor's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/06/2017

My family is visiting from out of state and wanted to get in a round of golf. Hillcrest looked like a beautiful course so we decided to give them our business. We arrived early for our 10:45AM tee time and proceeded to tee off on time. We are 4 casual players but are not terrible golfers. We feel like we can keep a reasonable pace with anyone, and we were playing well. By about the 4th hole we started to get the group behind us driving into our fairway shots. We talked as a 4some and decided to group up and do a 2 man scramble. Needless to say our pace picked up by at least 25%. By the 6th hole we started to get followed my the course ranger. So, feeling the pressure, we picked up our pace even further. On the 8th hole the ranger finally approached us asked us to hurry up because we were "backing up" the 4some behind us. All the while, the group behind us keep getting agitated and driving into our fairway shots. We ended up finishing the front 9 holes in 1Hr and 45Mins. After we finished the front 9, we decided to get a refund for the remaining 9 hole and to eat lunch somewhere else, meaning the golf course lost roughly $150 between us 4. I give this course a decent rating for its appearance, but the staff and pace of play were unreasonable to the point of not enjoying our morning, and feeling extremely shushed even playing a scramble. Don't even think of taking kids or your wifes if they can't play 9 hole faster than 1:45 minutes. We will not be coming back and would not recommend this course to anyone.

Commented on 03/08/2017

Thank you for taking time time to fill out the online review. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at Hillcrest. For the record we don't ever expect people to play in 1:45 minutes for 9 holes; but we do ask that golfers adhere to a 2:15 min pace per 9 holes. As busy as we are it is important that we keep all groups moving at a reasonable pace to not effect the rest of the course. We do hope that you will come play again in the future. ~HC

"Good course."

dennis1131391's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/05/2017

Good course. Rate good. Good shape. Tough, challenging greens. Range balls included.

Commented on 03/08/2017

Thank you for your filling out the online review. We appreciate your fair assessment of the course. We look forward to seeing you back at the course in the future. ~HC

"A Little Disappointing"

Rob3849783's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2017

We had no issues checking in, or with the players assistant or starter. The course was generally in better shape than in the past but still needs much TLC. Old cart paths need to be rebuilt or completely removed. A five hour round is unacceptable in this day and age. Where is the Marshall? Does anyone care about the course enough to fix ball marks? We each repaired 3-4 marks on every green! Sand traps are in desperate need of work. We saw the beverage cart once on the ninth hole - Really? This course could really be so much better with some honest work but still fun to play for the price.

Commented on 03/08/2017

Thank you for taking time to fill out the online review. As you noted the course has improved tremendously over the last year. We still have lots of great improvement in the works for the future including cart paths, sand traps, etc. We hope that you will come check out the course in the future as the course keeps improving. ~HC

"More grass in traps"

Trashcona's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2017

Course was slow and in poor condition. Asked about possibility of a 5 some late in the day as we had guests coming.They replied no. While waiting to tee off, they sent 2 groups of 5 out. Who knows how many other groups of 5 were out during the day. Would not recommend this course due to pace of play and poor conditions. Plus at the turn at 4:00 pm, restaurant was closed.

Commented on 03/08/2017

Thank you for filling out the online comment card and giving your assesment. The course is in no way in poor condition nor is it in anyway perfect. But we do consider ourselves one of the best values in AZ for what we offer. Starting March 1st the Pro Shop and Grille are now open past 4pm. Thanks ~HC

"Fun"

cschmal's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/01/2017

Courses all over the area were closed yesterday due to torrential rain. I was expecting cart path only today, but there were no restrictions...drained well!

The course was full but we zipped along and finished in 4 hours and 15 minutes.

I will definitely come back!

Commented on 03/08/2017

Thank you for taking time after your round to fill out the online review. We have been working very hard on keeping the course in good shape. We look forward to seeing you back at the course.

"Awesome"

Michael8499957's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/25/2017

The best experience I've had in decades ...Seen an actual bald eagle on the course and almost Eagled the next hole and tapped in a birdie it was surreal ...it was a great time thanks for the great deal!

Commented on 03/01/2017

Nothing makes us happier then hearing that you truly enjoyed your experience while golfing here. The bald eagle has been out here for about 7 months and he is amazing to see fly around and hunt. We look forward to seeing you back at Hillcrest in the future!

~HC

"The course is fun to play"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/24/2017

Renovations are on going which impacts play. Old cart paths have been removed. Overall course condition what you would expect for price of greens fee.

"Open landscape for all abilities to enjoy"

Plays:  Once every three months

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/22/2017

Was having fun until a threesome two groups behind us not so kindly asked us to pick up the pace - wish they were looking at the group ahead of us who were the cause. To that foursome's credit they skipped a few strokes on a par five to make up time. Decent course with a nice layout - a few more dollars invested would give it a 4-star rating

Commented on 03/01/2017

Thank for taking the time to fill out the online comment card. We are working hard on improving the golf course and the players experiences in all areas. We hope you come back to play in the near future to check out the continual improvements we keep making.

~HC

"One of the nicer courses in the West Valley"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/21/2017

Although the pace was very slow, the course was in great shape (except for the cart path demo). It was challenging enough for the intermediate player, but also simple enough for the less-skilled golfer. Par-5's all played dogleg left with just enough coaxing to want to cut corners over the water to save on ydge and look for those birdies. Not too many sand traps, but well positioned enough to warrant good course management during your round. The par-5's were all pretty similar in look, but the rest of the course had plenty of diversity and interest. There were lots of un-fixed ball marks on the greens, but they putted well; size and placement of the greens varied from large and open with dual-levels, to smaller targets that challenge your approach shots. Altogether one of my favorite West Valle courses, as long as pace of play is good.

Commented on 03/01/2017

We appreciate your kind words and opinions of the golf course. We have been working hard over the last 6-8 months to improve the course conditions. We look forward to seeing you at the course in the future. ~HC

"animal problems"

stolmack's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/16/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

For the most part the course is very playable but the bird population has made any green near a pond (7) a toilet.

Commented on 03/01/2017

The birds you are speaking of are called coots and they are actually protected by the state from us harming them to remove them. We have just gotten permits from fish & game to get them removed and we are in the process of doing so.

"decline"

recallin's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2017

I used to play this course regularly about 30 years ago.

It was pristine. Now there is overgrown around sand traps and has not been kept up well.

Commented on 03/01/2017

Thank you for taking the time to fill out the comment card and give your fair assessment. The tees, fairways, and greens are in great shape right now. We are working on some of the detail areas as you noted to clean them up and get them up to par with the rest of the course. ~HC