Zinfandel/Merlot at Poppy Ridge Golf Course

GPS: Yes

Golf school / academy: Yes - "Poppy Ridge Golf Academy"

Dress code: All players are required to wear shirts with sleeves and collars. Shorts must have an inseam of at least 4 inches. Tee shirts, cut-offs, jeans and gym attire are prohibited
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views locals   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes undulating greens   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views patio dining

"On Par with Some of the Best in California"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/03/2017

When a GolfNow Hot Deal comes along for this course, jump on it! I haven’t played some of the Monterey courses which have the advantage of being on the Pacific coast and all the views that come with the location, but this course has to be up there with them all just based on beauty, layout, and how well it is maintained. I highly recommend this course especially if you can get in at a bargain rate. At 100 to 150 range it is a bit pricey for my budget, but at the 40tp 60 range you can’t beat it. My only recommendation is the same I have for many courses I play. I expect to be treated like you would treat a member when I show up. Not asking for a red carpet, just a friendly greeting and cordial demeanor will do. I have played here 4 or 5 times and never once got anything other than what I owe and what courses I am playing. Nobody has ever been disrespectful so I don’t want to be misleading. I sincerely want to join a club someday and I just seem to find it hard to find a place that makes me feel welcome to the point where I would be willing to make the investment in a membership. Still, great course. Will keep playing here if the price is right.

Response from #PoppyRidgeGolfCourse on 12/05/2017:

Thank you for your review and feedback on your experiences at Poppy Ridge. We are very happy that you have continued to visit us and hope that we will see you again.

David8975558's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/02/2017

Great course. Fair greens. Can score low if you stay out of the sand.

Response from #PoppyRidgeGolfCourse on 12/05/2017:

Thank you for rating your first visit to Poppy Ridge 5-stars, David! We hope you stayed out of the sand and were able to post a great score for the day!

"Great value on GolfNow"

Johnnypd3's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/30/2017

Great value on GolfNow for late November. Course was in great shape and the pace of play was good. Looks forward to another round when the price is right!

Response from #PoppyRidgeGolfCourse on 12/05/2017:

We're happy to hear you enjoyed your first trip out to Poppy Ridge, John! Thank you for your review and we hope you will take advantage of another great day of golf this December also!

"Golf course in fantastic condition"

Jim5748359's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/29/2017

We couldn’t have picked a better day to play this beautiful course that takes advantage of the beautiful topography. The course is in fantastic condition and it’s obvious management is continually making it better. There’s something for golfers of every level. The greens and fairways are in excellent shape and easy to put and hit off of. The views of the Livermore valley from the Merlot 9 holes were spectacular!

Response from #PoppyRidgeGolfCourse on 12/05/2017:

Thank you for rating us 5-stars, Jim! We're glad you came out for another great day of golf and enjoyed the course! We appreciate your review of the conditions and views at Poppy Ridge!

jamsfo's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/27/2017

Response from #PoppyRidgeGolfCourse on 11/29/2017:

Thank you for visiting Poppy Ridge GC and rating your first experience 5-stars, jamsfo!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/26/2017

Response from #PoppyRidgeGolfCourse on 11/29/2017:

Thank you for your 5-star rating! We hope to see you back here for another round soon!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/24/2017

Response from #PoppyRidgeGolfCourse on 11/27/2017:

Thank you for rating your first visit to Poppy Ridge! We're glad you enjoyed your experience!

kdermody14's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/22/2017

Response from #PoppyRidgeGolfCourse on 11/27/2017:

Thank you for rating your experience at Poppy Ridge! We're glad you enjoyed another great round of golf!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/10/2017

Response from #PoppyRidgeGolfClub on 11/13/2017:

We're glad you enjoyed a 5-star experience at Poppy Ridge! Thank you for naming us one of your favorite courses, and we hope to see you again soon!

"Great Course!!"

MASON888RYU's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/01/2017

Been living in Mountian House for over a year and didn’t realize how close this course really is!! Just on the other side of the hill, and worth the short drive!!

27 holes to choose from with the course being in great condition!!

Pace of play was good, green were descent, not as fast as Wente.

Food at the turn was ok....but wanted to try he restaurant after because we heard rave reviews, and had to leave.

Going again today, to play the 9 we missed, and this time grab a bit to eat afterward!!

Response from #PoppyRidgeGolfClub on 11/13/2017:

We were happy to have you back, Mason! Thank you for rating Poppy Ridge 5-stars, and sharing your experience!

"Great course"

Clifford6944764's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/29/2017

Great overall experience from the 55 min drive, breakfast before, lunch after play, conditions, layout, etc

Response from #PoppyRidgeGolfCourse on 11/01/2017:

Thank you for rating Poppy Ridge 5-stars, Clifford! We're glad your group made the hike out to Livermore, and had a great overall experience! Great shot of you guys too!

"Not as pristine as it once was....."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/26/2017

Poppy Ridge is still a great place to play golf but it has seen better days,many areas on fairways were grass is a combination of little patches and dirt so if you roll in those we just play preferred lies were you can sit it on the nearest spot of grass.Other then that its a very fun track with a little of everything.We went on a Thursday and it was crowded for a weekday but it moved OK once you got past the starter.He was a very bitter man with nothing good to say,surprised he is even working there if it makes him such an unpleasant soul,but maybe he is always like that I don't know.

Response from #PoppyRidgeGolfCourse on 10/30/2017:

Thank you for coming back for another round at Poppy Ridge and sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback as we continuously strive to improve in every way to provide the best golf experience. We hope that you will come back again soon to see everything we have done!

Timothy5864963's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/21/2017

Response from #PoppyRidgeGolfCourse on 10/24/2017:

Thank you for rating your experience at Poppy Ridge five-stars, Timothy! We hope you will come back for another round of golf soon!

"This course has fantastic layout"

Rohit5783350's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2017

The layout gives you good set of challenges and makes you feel good when perform well! Just fantastic set of three nine hole courses

Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 10/18/2017:

Thank you for sharing your five star experience from your round at Poppy Ridge! We are glad you enjoyed the course and hope you will come back to #PlayPoppy again soon!

"Poppy is losing its luster"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/12/2017

Although I love this course it is certainly not near as pristine as it was.Lots of areas on the fairways that are all dirt with minimal grass patches so its like ending up in a divot.Greens were good and tee boxes good(not that the tee boxes mean much to me).I always thought of this place as the go to for great conditions but no more,and very costly unless you kind find a deal on golf now.....still a fun trek with better then average conditions but certainly not like it used to be.

Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 10/16/2017:

Thank you for coming back for another round at Poppy Ridge and for your feedback on your experience, as it is very important to us to create one of the best golf experience for everyone who visits us.

"slow play"

scottyallen's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/12/2017

very slow play .. Teed off before 730 and did not finish 27 holes until after 3 pm. Our group plays all over N Ca. and this was by far the slowest pace of play. We questioned the starter after the first and second nines about the slow play.. He tried to get the slow group to play faster, but what he should have done was to get them to move up to the white tees ( high Handicappers playing blue tees )and let faster groups play thru. We will be back, great course and fantastic staff.

Response from Poppy Rigde Golf Course on 09/15/2017:

We're glad you enjoyed the course and appreciate your compliments to our tremendous staff! Thank you for sharing your feedback from your round and for your 5-stars, scottyallen.

"A first-time pleasure"

PapaPing's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/11/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

We played Chardonnay and Zinfandel and I expect that was by design, never having been there before- apparently Merlot is a little tougher. I could have wished for a little more grass in spots from an aesthetic point of view, but from a playing standpoint, the course is in very nice condition. Note to all, there is actually sand in the bunkers, and you can hit a sand shot out and onto the green. Everywhere we've been in the last year, the bunkers have been either standing water, mud, or so compacted from repeated watering that it was like hitting off the sidewalk. Three cheers for Poppy Ridge and maintaining them so much better! The fairway bunkers were pretty hard and barren, but you're trying to pick the ball out anyway, not hit a sand shot, right? Picturesque, pleasant, albeit a little confusing as you cross paths with at least one other 9 as you make your way around, and one tee serving 2 holes, one from either 9, Chard and Zin. Don't get confused on which direction you're supposed to hit on that one! :-) Given the back and forth, I wouldn't recommend trying to walk- I enjoy walking, but this would have been a real trek. We had a great time, and will unquestionably be back.

Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Club on 09/13/2017:

Hip Hip Hooray! Thank you for your 5-star rating and great review, Papa Ping! We appreciate you sharing your experience and are glad you've been able to play all of our great rotations!

"Best value in the Tri-Valley"

Ready2teeup's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/09/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

SO glad I live 5 miles from here! There are other nice courses close, but not a fan of the long rounds at Callippe and can't swing the $125 for a round at Wente too often. Greens are great even when in transition from punching, fairways tend to be firm with minimal over watering issues. For those who are higher handicaps, BRING PLENTY OF GOLF BALLS! Great views of the course with zero traffic or urban noise. Good staff, players tend to be friendly, nothing pretentious, just a great Second Home of the NCGA.

Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Club on 09/21/2017:

Thank you for your 5-star rating and review! We're excited to have a great golfer that lives so close to Poppy Ridge, and look forward to having you back again soon!

"was perfect day of golf"

janmvd's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Had a great day playing at Poppy Ridge, played Chardonnay and Zinfandel.

Eventhough the temperature was going to be 'hot', was nice overcast at 88F, nice breaze, so still very nice to play.

Course overall in great shape, especially knowing we had period of very hotttt days (100+). Few spots that were overwatered, but did not impact the play.

Pace was really good, finished in 3.45 hours, hardly had to wait at any golfshot...so very relaxing day.. thank you.. made the day :-)

Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Course on 09/12/2017:

We're glad you enjoyed your day at Poppy Ridge, janmvd! Thank you for you 4-stars!

ad781's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Response from Poppy Ridge Golf Club on 08/31/2017:

We appreciate your four-star rating, ad781! We hope you'll join us for another round soon!