Black Bear Golf Club

• 24505 Calusa Blvd, Eustis, Florida 32736, Lake County
  • www.blackbeargolfclub.com

Year built: 1995
Architect(s): P. B. Dye (1995)
Type: Semi-Private

Practice bunker: Yes
Practice hole: No
Simulator: No

Walking allowed: No
Dress code: Proper golf attire required
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Championship 72 7018 yards 74.1 139
Green (W) 72 5362 yards 72.0 128

Average Rating 3.8 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for locals advanced golfers a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes undulating greens   Great for drinks patio dining brunch

"Best Course in Lake County"

jolo1314's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2017

The review posted by Tony7138298 on March 12, 2017 is inacurate as the. many guests who witnessed their bahavior on course and in the Clubhouse would aattest t to.

. I am the Starter referred to and I proudly work as a volunteer on Fridays and some Saturdays. I do my very best to make people on our great and challenging course welcome. We are a very busy course and there are occasions when we have some problems with PACE OF PLAY. We are one of a few courses in our area who. can monitor slow play through tbe GPS system on tbe carts.and Dispatcb a Marshall.to clear.bottlenecks.

Sad to have, very occasionally, to deal with situations where people who have no regard for the enjoyment of otber golfers

"Great course"

Taijuanbooze's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/11/2017

The course was in great condition and I loved the layout. I'll definitely be returning to play. Just not while a tournament is going on. Started late and waited quite a while for the Junior League...got done close to 7.

"Incompetence"

Tony7138298's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2017
Previously played Used cart

Walk into the clubhouse and there is a line about 10-12 people deep. One person trying to check everybody in. Apparently they scheduled two large groups with shot gun starts. They assured us, they would not interfere our pace of play. We get to the starter and he told us to go off the back. No problem, breezed thru in less than two hours. We make the turn and now they have decided to send every other group off the front. Literally, we are now the 6th group waiting in line at the first tee. Our second nine holes took nearly 3 hours. Complete INCOMPETENCE!!! The best part, we asked the starter what was going on he said "Don't shoot the messenger, I do this for the free golf". Never again, which is sad because the course is fun to play.

Commented on 03/13/2017

I am sorry you had this experience. When you are started on the back nine our procedure is to let you know when your turn time is scheduled. If we can accommodate you before your turn time we surely will when available. After turning in roughly 1 hour and 15 minutes on your first nine, we did not have your available turn time for almost 45 minutes, you played well above pace. If I put an hour and 20 minutes through the back nine together with your 3 hours on the front nine.. that puts you at 4 hours and 20 minutes, or right on our scheduled round time. On a busy day you still played at our estimated round time. I am sorry that we could not accommodate playing faster than that on your day of play.

"Dark day at Black Bear!"

Kurt63's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2017

I played here before and had a good time, as I did this time! I played with a great couple from Canada, who golfed their ball really well! I love Golf and I hate to be negative, so all I will say is...More attention could be given to details and communication between the staff, the starter and the guest could be improved! Since I was a single I was over 20 mins late- held at the tee box while , 3 foursomes went in front of me.I would not mind if someone said something prior, rather than being told to hold on while all the people went out before me. Maybe it was just a bad day they were having...The silver lining in the story was the people I was paired with; they were wonderful and I left with two new friends!

"A true Pete Dye course"

vr4blutooth's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

A very challenging course with a lot of bunkers. Many blind shots due to the undulations all over the course. Greens held ok, a little fuzzy on the day we played. Good sand in the bunkers. Overall course needed some water.

"Nice"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/08/2017

Nice course but pro shop attendant confused me about my cart . This was the first time I've ever played there. He did hook me up with two golfers who had played the course before. Nice course

Jklein12's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/05/2017

"Unique Layout with a lot of potential"

SMursten's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/05/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

The course is a unique design with the greens being very narrow, oddly angled and severe slopes if you miss. It didn't help we were playing in a 20mph all day, but these greens are very difficult to hit. The fairways are open and generous and the course is relatively short. It was in decent shape, the greens were OK, but the bunkers were terrible (I guess I shouldn't hit it there). The food service and food was very subpar (in a bad way). Overall, I would play here again if the price was right.

"Nice course"

cherylmac's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/25/2017

Very good value . Greens rolled true , appeared not to have been mowed day we played so slightly slow . Good variety of shots required , fairways run out if hit the correct landing areas . Would play again .

Commented on 03/06/2017

Thank you for choosing Black Bear. Sorry that the greens felt a bit slow, the greens are enjoying the warm weather and rain more than usual. We hope to see you again soon.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/23/2017

We played after a huge rainstorm. The drainage was phenomenal.

Commented on 03/06/2017

Sorry the weather didn't fully cooperate with you, we hope to see you back on a drier day!

"Black Bear"

relackey's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/22/2017

Love the layout. Greens were slow and bumpy. Fairways were okay. Bunkers are in terrible shape. Pace of play was fine. Long drive and rate needs to justify it.

Commented on 03/06/2017

Sorry to hear that you were unhappy with our green speed and bunkers. Unfortunately with the amount of rain we received the week you played, the bunkers are the last item that gets worked on after they can return to a normal mowing schedule. Come play again in the summer when the rates are more in the range you hope for.

"Pleasant staff"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/22/2017

Had an 8:39 tee time. Arrived at pros hope @ 8:10. Director of golf was very friendly. Told us about the lunch special. Suggested we head right out to avoid the rain. Arrived at starter at 8:15. The tee box was clear and told us to enjoy our round. Finished at 11:40!! Went in for the lunch special. Wait staff very pleasant. Course condition was okay. It's what you'd expect in February with the Bermuda grass dormant and the overseed dying off. Thin lies where ever you hit from. Bunkers and greens were in good shape. To play 18 holes in 3 hours, 20 minutes was a joy. There were groups in front & behind us but everyone just moved along.

Commented on 03/06/2017

Thank you for choosing Black Bear. Glad you had a good time and our staff treated you well. Sorry you feel the fairways were thin, most other players find ours to be much plusher than other courses in the area. We did not overseed them again this year and we are pleased with the results. Come visit us again soon.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/20/2017

Commented on 03/06/2017

Thank you for playing Black Bear and rating us. Sorry to hear you could only give us the 4 stars on course conditions. Make sure to visit us in the summer when the Bermuda is active!

"Great Day"

JeffNeal's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/18/2017

Played 2some with good friend . Course was in great shape ,absolutely no complaints. Lots of hills not your typical flat florida course . Greens rolling true . Overall a great day !!!

Commented on 03/06/2017

Thank you for choosing Black Bear. Glad you had a good time and enjoyed your round. We pride ourselves on being a little different from your typical Florida course. Hope to see you again soon!

"Strategic design"

FlyNavy675's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/17/2017

You can tell this is a PB Dye design as you really have to plan your way around this course. Tee shots are pretty open, just avoid any bunkers. The real challenge comes on approach shots to mostly elevated greens. You must know your yardages and pin locations otherwise you face tricky up and downs. There are many blind bunkers waiting to eat stray shots! If you're looking to test your game, this is a good choice. Good looking club house and restaurant plus a friendly staff. They also offer a lunch special with your green fee.

Commented on 03/06/2017

Thank you for choosing Black Bear and reviewing us. Glad that the course presented challenges and you enjoyed your time here. We hope to see you again soon!

"Great Day at Black Bear"

currenb's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/16/2017

Because of a move I had not played Black Bear for about 7 years. We had a fantastic time, the course was in beautiful shape, my only complaint was the pace of play. It took almost 5 hours. We will play there again soon.

xkyleclark3's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/11/2017

Black Bear is located in a pretty desolate area but is it ever worth the drive. From the moment you check-in in the pro shop, the staff was great. The practice facilities were very nice with a large driving range and a massive putting green and practice bunker. Your approach shots better be on during your round here as the landing areas just off the green all funnel into a valley which makes for a very tough up-and-down. Greens were rolling very nicely and were very receptive. May be amongst my favorite courses in florida. The closing stretch in 16-17-18 bodes for an exciting finish!

"Very Pleased"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/09/2017

The pace of play was good, the course itself is in good condition with rolling terrain which made this an excellent choice for the money. It was great to play where as a Florida resident I could have my out of state guest play for the Florida price. The clubhouse and common areas could use updating.

"Brothers"

Mcki525's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/02/2017

The course was in great shape. The pro was very friendly and very apologetic for the fact they were running behind schedule. The pace of play was slow due to a outings that was in front of us . At the turn of the ladies in the restaurant area were fabulous. If it had not been for the pace of play I would've given Blackbear tens across the board.

"Nice Course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/30/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

I have played this course a few times since it opened and like most Florida courses they start in great shape and change. I am not saying the course is in bad condition it has just not got the investment in it that was there from day one. There are now many houses around the course and this detracts from what I thought was a great course when it first opened. However I would suggest playing the course it is great value and the greens are very good.