Canyon/Lakes at Spanish Trail Country Club

GPS: No

Practice bunker: Yes
Practice hole: No
Simulator: No

Dress code: Collared shirts with sleeves and non-denim, mid length shorts or pants
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Combo 72 6735 yards 71.9 128

Location is convenient to the city near local attractions near the airport   Great for advanced golfers locals playing multiple courses   Challenges include water hazards bunkers undulating greens   Great for drinks brunch watching the game

"Just okay"

kathy1958's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2017

The club is very nice but the course is a little rough. Lots of dead spots poor traps and greens very slow. Could be great with new superintendent.

"Hidden fees"

abensonlv2015's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/21/2017

I like this course and have played here several times. The one thing I don't like is when you book through Golfnow, prepaid, they charge another $5 per person for "GPS, Range and cart. No one else in LV valley charges above the agreed rate quoted on Golfnow.

Aside from this nuisance, course is well maintained, pace of play is generally good.

"Petty Fee"

nvlazerbeam's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2017

The only course in Las Vegas that slips in a $5 fee per golfer for bottled water, range balls and use of their GPS. If you don't want the water, and don't want to hit range balls and use your own GPS, you still have to pay the fee. Raise the green fee $5 and stop the petty nonsense.

"surprising"

calliverian's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/14/2017

I always read others reviews before playing a new course. In this case the reviews were way off the mark. Many complained about the staff and the people there being "snooty". This couldn't be further from the truth. The staff was super friendly and extremely accommodating. As for the members, the same thing. I left my putter cover on the course and while waiting to see if someone picked it up the staff offered to give me a replacement. Fortunately the members behind me found it and brought it to me. The snack bar attendant was also very hospitable and the food was good.

Now about the course, the canyons is a fun easy layout but the lakes with a strong crosswind was extremely challenging. The fairways were good but the greens are burnt and bumpy and didn't roll to the standards I would prefer. Spanish trail was not a horrible experience and the people are very friendly but the course isn't maintained like it should be for a Simi private club. It's close to the strip which is a plus. Oh and the $5 charge... wouldn't you have spent that for a bag of range balls anyway you cheap turds? With the discount golfnow offers don't be so entitled that you become the monster you unmeritedly accuse the Spanish trail members of being. If they were rude it's probably because you showed up in a teeshirt and denim shorts complaining about $5.

"Where are the marshals???"

Milemarker18's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/12/2017

Second time there in a row now, and not a course marshal to be found. Group in front must have been gambling with mortgage money as every shot was studied from all angles. We would wait 7-10 minutes between each shot while they studied their next move. Said something to the cart girl who got a bit embarrassed about the slow play, like she could see it as well, and she said that she would contact the clubhouse.

atomfly3's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2017

patpanaccione's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

"Great layout"

robert1975's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2017

Good course challenging water shots on lakes course loved it . Soft angelation on some holes ..great par 3 s that challenge med irons some long irons. Read the green from all sides can be tricky if your more than 3 feet out

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/03/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

diceboss's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2017

"109 degrees"

Ceriost's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2017

The course is in nice shape for the heat (109 degrees) and the greens were rolling a decent speed. I was a bit apprehensive when on the practice green and some areas were dead. However, on the course I didn't see any dead spots on the greens. I purchased the tee time through golf now (38 × 2) and felt it was a pretty good deal for the course and the surroundings.

"Galatial Pace of Play"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/30/2017

When one commits to playing golf in July in Las Vegas, it is an act of trust. You trust everyone will do their level best to speed the pace of play. This was NOT the case on Sunday last. We were told we would be playing Canyon to Lake in the Pro Shop-actually played 1 1/2 holes THEN got redirected to Lake. At one point, after waiting 15 minutes in one hole, a course Marshall came at our request and asked the FIVESOME in front of us to let us play through. They were 'members' but have never played golf...go figure. The course was not in great shape and just did not live up to its reviews.

u2030677103's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/27/2017

"Bushwood Las Vegas"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

This was once a private, members only country club. Think Judge Smails' types at Bushwood CC from Caddyshack. However, due to financial issues they have been forced to let in Golf Now to their once exclusive country club. What does this mean -- let's just say you will not get a warm welcome when you show up for your round, especially from the members.

Here's a perfect example of how I was treated by a member: I was chipping from about 5 feet away onto a practice green when I was berated by a member who rudely pointed out the greens that allowed chipping. He then barked at me to go to another area to practice chipping. Mind you there were no posted signs that indicated no chipping. Also, to make you feel even more inferior they have a members only driving range -- Golf Now players not welcome.

About the $5.00 fee that many are complaining about -- you don't have to pay it! So what if you don't get range balls or GPS? Save the $5.00 and go play your round. I don't understand why there is such an uproar from GN customers about this fee.

The course appeared to be in excellent condition for summer. A few brown spots here and there, but nothing too bad. Ignore the reviewer who called this place a cow pasture -- totally unwarranted.

Greens were in very good condition and super fast. As a high handicapper I found this course very challenging -- water and bunkers everywhere, with blind tee shots. Until I improve my golf game I probably will not return to ST -- it is just way too tough.

"Mandatory usage fee"

cmiyabara's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2017

Booked a hot deal for 4 of us. When I checked in, I was informed that there was a mandatory usage fee of $5 per player for GPS and use of the practice putting green!! Ridiculous! Went outside to the cart and drove around looking for the starter and was informed that the starter is the people who checked me in at the Pro shop. They didn't inform me of which nines and which order we were to play (the course has 27 holes). The course was in poor shape as Las Vegas courses go. Overall, a very bad experience. Will not play this course again!!

Course Layout: Poor

"Great Value for a fun course"

rossjardine's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/21/2017
Previously played Used cart Verified Purchaser

Haven't played here in almost 20 years and it brought back some great memories. Shot my best round of the year too. Conditions were great and it was a great value through Golfnow.

Skellermann's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2017

"Beautiful course"

Jerry7997535's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/26/2017

Felt like a second class citizen. This is a great course but not a friendly place

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/16/2017

"Great Golf but, The pro shop may be on the take."

Ranman1972's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2017

Whenever I golf, I generally book through GolfNow. It gives me Hot Deals if I'm looking and a great resource to book for multiple places in one site. I generally pay online for Hot Deals and at the course when not. This particular round was a Hot Deal and I was very excited to play at this course. When we went to the pro shop to check in, the gentleman kindly asked my friend and me for an additional $5 and called it some course usage fee. I have never paid such a fee at any course booked through GolfNow. Got me thinking something wasn't right. Anyways, I did not let it ruin my day and preceded to have an enjoyable round of golf. Just curious if anyone has ever had to pay a course usage fee anywhere.

Commented on 07/25/2017

Don't blame the course necessarily. I booked a tee time in my home city through another tee time provider and was charged a resort fee of $5. So it must be a new trend, would think the fee should be reflected in "hot deal" price.

Commented on 06/30/2017

Thanks for the comment. I also booked a HotRate, as was curious. I checked my reservation on GolfNow, and found this in the fine print:

"There is a mandatory $5 fee due at course that includes: Practice Balls, water and GPS."

It's an awful practice, and after I play it will affect my rating, but clearly GolfNow is aware of the fee. Like everything else in Vegas, it seems that courses now have a 'resort fee'